The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride is a 1998 direct-to-video film released by the Walt Disney Company on October 27, 1998, as a sequel to the 1994 film The Lion King. It premiered a year after the Broadway musical with same name began its production. The film centers around Simba's daughter, Kiara, who falls in love with Kovu, a male lion who was raised in a pride of Scar's followers, who are Simba's enemies. Desperate to be together, they must overcome the two obstacles that are keeping them apart: Simba and Kovu's mother, Zira.
- [to Kiara jokingly playing with her] Where do you think you're going in such a hurry? [picks Kiara up with his paw, and puts her under him]
- That's like saying you don't want to be a lion. It's in your blood... as I am. We are part of each other.
- [sternly] Kiara... I don't want you talking with him. [softening] I want to talk with him.
- Kovu, I was wrong. You belong here.
- I'm not just a princess, you know. That's only half of who I am!
- (To Simba after he exiles Kovu) You will never be Mufasa!
- [Runs out of the den at Pride Rock, looks at the view of the Pridelands.] Wow!, [She starts to run down, but is caught by Simba just in time.]
- I'm sorry, Mother! She didn't seem so bad.
- He wasn't my father, but he was still... part of me.
- [talking to himself] Okay, I have to tell her today. Oh, where do I start? "Kiara, Zira had a plot, and I was part of it, but I don't want to be... because... it's because I love you." [exhales] She'll never believe me but I'm gonna try.
- These lands belonged to Scar!
- Oh no, Simba. We have barely begun. [looks down at Kiara and chuckles wickedly]
- Simba is injured and weak. Now is the time to attack! We shall take his entire kingdom, BY FORCE!
- I'll never let it go! [whispers] This is for you, Scar!
- Pumba, let me define, BABYSITTING!!
- Timon, Pumbaa. Great! Now that we all know each other, GET OUTTA OUR PRIDELANDS!!
- Boy, does she need a hobby!
- Pfft! That's not a king. That's a fuzzy maraca!
- I never even really met your tyrant. I mean, uh, Scar! Oh, heck of a guy! A little moody, but--
- [cocks Pumbaa's tail] Don't anybody move! This thing's loaded! I'll let ya have it!
- [rehearsing the confession to Simba] Alright let's see. Uh, "Gee Simba! The good news is, we found your daughter. The bad news is, we dropped the warthog on her. Is there a problem with that?"
- Don't worry, Kiara! Uncle Pumbaa's coming!
- I thought our motto was "Hakuna Matata".
- Rafiki: [chuckling] It is a girl.
- Timon and Pumbaa: [Rafiki reveals Kiara is a girl.] GIRL?!? OY!! [They faint.]
- Rafiki: Kovu...Kiara...together? This is the plan? [to the sky, talking to Mufasa] ARE YOU CRAZY?!? This will never work! Oh, Mufasa. You been up there too long! Your head is in the clouds!
- Adult Vitani: Where's your pretty daughter, Nala?
- Nuka: Roasty toasty princess, roasty toasty princess! [finishes lighting the grass on fire (in a circle around him) and jumps in excitement, but then pauses] Hey, is it hot here or is that just me? [realizes he's surrounded by fire] FIRE!!!
- Simba: You know the penalty for returning to the Pridelands.
- Zira: But the child does not! However... if you need your pound of flesh, here.
- [Nudges a terrified Kovu over to Simba, who glares at him. Kovu shivers in fright.]
- Simba: Take him and get out. We're finished here. [turns around and picks Kiara up with his mouth as he's getting ready to leave]
- Zira Oh no, Simba, we have barely begun. [looks down at Kiara and chuckles wickedly, then turns and picks up Kovu]
- [Kovu and Kiara look back at each other, sadly]
- Cub Kiara: [softly] Bye...
- Cub Kovu: [softly] Bye...
- Nuka: [muttering to himself] Kovu, Kovu, Kovu. Scar wasn't even his father; he just took him in. [to Cub Vitani, who is biting on a root] Oh, hey, Vitani. Where's little termite Kovu? "The chosen one"? [touches the root with a claw; it snaps, and Vitani tumbles backward; Nuka guffaws]
- Cub Vitani: Nuka, where's Kovu? Did you leave him out there on his own again?
- Nuka: Hey, it's every lion for himself out here! [scratching himself] That little termite's gotta learn to be on his own.
- Cub Vitani: Mother's gonna be mad; she told you to watch him!
- Nuka: [continuing to scratch] Oh, who cares?! I should have been the chosen one! I'm the oldest, I'm the strongest, I'm the smartest-- OH, THESE TERMITES!!! [starts biting every place he can find on his body, and rolls around on the ground; Vitani watches, smirking]
- Zira: I now see the path to our glorious return to power!
- Cub Kovu: But I don't want--
- Zira: HUSH! Hush, my little one. You must be exhausted. [singing] Sleep, my little Kovu. Let your dreams take wing. One day when you're big and strong, you will be a king.
- Cub Kovu: [showing a embarrassment smile] Good night.
- Zira: Good night, my little prince. Tomorrow your training intensifies...
- Zira: What is your destiny?
- Adult Kovu: I will avenge Scar... take his place in the Pride Lands.
- Zira: Yes. What have I taught you?
- Adult Kovu: Simba is the enemy.
- Zira: And... what... must... you... do?
- Adult Kovu: I must KILL him!
- Timon: Tango-Charlie-Alpha. What's your position?
- Pumbaa: Uh...upright, head turned slightly to the left, tail erect.
- Timon: [speaks under his breath] Why do I bother?
- [After Nuka is killed trying to pursue Simba, because Kovu let him go]
- Zira: Scar... watch over my poor Nuka. [turns and notices Kovu] YOU! [she slashes him across the face, leaving a scar like the one Scar had] What have you DONE?!
- Adult Kovu: I-I-I didn't mean to... It wasn't my fault, I... [snarling] I did NOTHING!
- Zira: Exactly! And in doing so, you betrayed your pride! Betrayed Scar!
- Adult Kovu: I want nothing more to do with him!
- Zira: You cannot escape it! Nuka is dead because of you!
- Adult Kovu: No...!
- Zira: You've killed your own brother!
- Adult Kovu: NO!!! [flees]
- Adult Kiara: You don't know him!
- Simba: I know he's following in Scar's paw-prints! And I must follow in my father's.
- Adult Kiara: You will never be Mufasa! [runs off, weeping]
- Zira: It's over, Simba! I have dreamed of nothing else for years!
- Timon: Boy, does she need a hobby.
- Simba: Last chance, Zira: Go home.
- Zira: I am home! [grins and snarls as lightning flashes] ATTACK!!!
- [Just as Simba and Zira are about to fight, Kiara and Kovu leap in between them]
- Simba: Kiara?
- Zira: Kovu! Move!
- Simba: Stand aside!
- Adult Kiara: Daddy, this has to stop!
- Zira: You're even weaker than I thought! Get out the way!
- Adult Kovu: You'll never hurt Kiara, or Simba! Not while I'm here.
- Zira: [scoffs] Ha!
- Simba: Stay out of this!
- Adult Kiara: A wise king once told me "We are one". I didn't understand him then. Now I do.
- Simba: But... they...
- Adult Kiara: "Them"? "Us"? Look at them! They are us! What differences do you see?
- [As both prides stand stunned in realization, the rain stops and the clouds clear; Simba smiles and nuzzles Kiara]
- Zira: Vitani! Now!
- Adult Vitani: No, mother! [faces Kiara then back to Zira] Kiara's right. [walks to join Simba's pride] Enough.
Cast and characters
- Matthew Broderick as Simba
- Neve Campbell as Kiara (young adult)
- Jason Marsden as Kovu (young adult)
- Suzanne Pleshette as Zira
- Moira Kelly as Nala
- Nathan Lane as Timon
- Ernie Sabella as Pumbaa
- Robert Guillaume as Rafiki
- Andy Dick as Nuka
- Jennifer Lien as Vitani (young adult)
- Edward Hibbert as Zazu
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa's Ghost
- Jim Cummings as Scar
- Michelle Horn as Kiara (young)
- Ryan O'Donohue as Kovu (young)
- Lacey Chabert as Vitani (young)
- Cam Clarke as Simba (singing voice)
- Charity Sanoy as Kiara (young singing voice)
- Liz Callaway as Kiara (mature singing voice)
- Gene Miller as Kovu (mature singing voice)
- Crysta Macalush as Vitani (young singing voice)