The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride is a 1998 direct-to-video film released by the Walt Disney Company on October 27, 1998, as a sequel to the 1994 film The Lion King. It premiered a year after the Broadway musical with same name began its production. The film centers around Simba's daughter, Kiara, who falls in love with Kovu, a male lion who was raised in a pride of Scar's followers, who are Simba's enemies. Desperate to be together, they must overcome the two obstacles that are keeping them apart: Simba and Kovu's mother, Zira.
- Kovu, I was wrong. You belong here.
- We are one.
- [to Kiara jokingly playing with her] Where do you think you're going in such a hurry? [picks Kiara up with his paw, and puts her under him]
- [After returning with Kiara from the Outlands] Kiara, what did you think you were doing? You could've been killed today.
- [exitedly runs out of the den at Pride Rock, looks at the view] Wow! [Starts to run off but is caught by Simba just in time]
- Daddy! Let go!
- [Being scolded by Simba after running off to the outlands] But Daddy I..I didn't mean to diso-
- You will never be Mufasa!
- I'm sorry, Mother! She didn't seem so bad.
- [talking to himself] Okay, I have to tell her today. Oh, where do I start? "Kiara, Zira had a plot, and I was part of it, but I don't want to be... because... it's because I love you." [exhales] She'll never believe me but I'm gonna try.
- These lands belonged to Scar!
- Oh no, Simba. We have barely begun. [looks down at Kiara and chuckles wickedly]
- Simba is injured and weak. Now is the time to attack! We shall take his entire kingdom, BY FORCE!
- [singing] Oh the battle may be bloody, but that kind of works for me!
- Pumba, let me define, BABYSITTING!!
- Timon, Pumbaa. Great! Now that we all know each other, GET OUTTA OUR PRIDELANDS!!
- Boy, does she need a hobby!
- Pfft! That's not a king. That's a fuzzy maraca!
- I never even really met your tyrant. I mean, uh, Scar! Oh, heck of a guy! A little moody, but--
- [cocks Pumbaa's tail] Don't anybody move! This thing's loaded! I'll let ya have it!
- [rehearsing the confession to Simba] All right let's see, gee Simba! The good news is, we found your daughter. The bad news is, we dropped the warthog on her. Is there a problem with that?
- Don't worry, Kiara! Uncle Pumbaa's coming!
- I thought our motto was "Hakuna Matata".
- Rafiki: (chuckling) It is a girl.
- Timon and Pumbaa: (Rafiki reveals Kiara is a girl.) Girl. GIRL?!?! OY!! (They faint and we hear the drumbeat.)
- Nuka: Oh, hey, Vitani. Where's little termite Kovu? "The chosen one?"
- Rafiki: Kovu...Kiara...together? This is the plan? [to the sky, talking to Mufasa] ARE YOU CRAZY?!? This will never work! Oh, Mufasa. You been up there too long! Your head is in the clouds!
- Vitani: Where's your pretty daughter, Nala?
- Nuka: Roasty toasty princess, roasty toasty princess! [finishes lighting the grass on fire (in a circle around him) and jumps in excitement, but then pauses] Hey, is it hot here or is that just me?
- Nuka: I'm the oldest, I'm the strongest, I'm the smartest-OH, THESE TERMITES!!
Simba: You know the penalty for returing to the Pridelands.
Zira: But the child does not! However....if you need your pound of flesh, here.
[Nudges a terrified Kovu over to Simba, who glares at him. Kovu shivers in fright.]
Simba: Take him and get out. We're finished here. [Turns around and picks Kiara up with his mouth as he's getting ready to leave]
Zira Oh no, Simba, we have barely begun. [Chuckles wickedly]
Kiara: You don't know him!
Simba: I know he's following in Scar's paw prints. And I must follow in my father's.
Kiara: You will never be Mufasa! [Runs off, weeping]
Zira: What have I taught you?
Kovu: Simba is the enemy.
Zira: And what must you do?
Kovu: I must KILL him!
Zira: I have dreamed of nothing else for years!
Timon: Boy, does she need a hobby.
Timon: Tango-Charlie-Alpha. What's your position?
Pumbaa: Uh...upright, head turned slightly to the left, tail erect.
Timon: Why do I bother?
Zira: I now see the path to our glorious return to power!
Kovu: But I don't want-
Zira: HUSH! Hush, my little one. You must be exhausted. [Singing] Sleep, my little Kovu. Let your dreams take wing. One day when you're big and strong, you will be a king.
Kovu: Good night.
Zira: Good night, my little prince. Tomorrow your training intensifies...
Zira: Kovu! Move!
Simba: Stand aside!
Kiara: Daddy, this has to stop!
Zira: You’re even weaker than I thought! Get out the way!
Kovu: You’ll never hurt, Kiara…or Simba. Not while I’m here!
Simba: Stay out of this!
Kiara: A wise king once told me “we are one”. I didn’t understand him then. Now I do!
Simba: But they…
Kiara: Them? Us? Look at them! They are us! What differences do you see?
Zira: Vitani! Now!
Vitani: No, Mother! Kiara’s right! Enough!
Rafiki: (Lion and Lioness, Roar, Other Animals)
Cast and characters
- Neve Campbell as Kiara (adult)
- Jason Marsden as Kovu (adult)
- Suzanne Pleshette as Zira
- Matthew Broderick as Simba
- Moira Kelly as Nala
- Nathan Lane as Timon
- Ernie Sabella as Pumbaa
- Robert Guillaume as Rafiki
- Andy Dick as Nuka
- Jennifer Lien as Vitani (adult)
- Edward Hibbert as Zazu
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa's Ghost
- Jim Cummings as Scar
- Michelle Horn as Kiara (young)
- Ryan O'Donohue as Kovu (young)
- Lacey Chabert as Vitani (young)
- Cam Clarke as Simba (singing voice)
- Charity Sanoy as Kiara (young singing voice)
- Liz Callaway as Kiara (mature singing voice)
- Gene Miller as Kovu (mature singing voice)
- Crysta Macalush as Vitani (young singing voice)