The Nut Job
The Nut Job is a 2014 American 3D computer-animated heist-comedy film directed by Peter Lepeniotis, who also wrote the film with Lorne Cameron. It stars the voices of Will Arnett, Brendan Fraser, Gabriel Iglesias, Jeff Dunham, Liam Neeson, and Katherine Heigl with supporting voice work by Stephen Lang, Maya Rudolph, and Sarah Gadon. The film is based on Lepeniotis's 2005 short animated film Surly Squirrel.
- [first lines of the film; voice over] When you're an animal, life's a balancing act. Each day is a quest to find food to survive. It's a tough nut to crack. Wait, you think I'm one of these dopey pigeons? No, no, no, no, this is me. The handsome one.
- Okay, we get in, we fill our bellies, but we do it my way.
- Buddy, we found it! The lost city of Nutlantis!
- It's not going to be easy but we're talkin' almonds, pistachios, walnuts and did I mention the peanut brittle? [Jimmy: Whoa, is that a nut, or a candy?] Both.
- Yeah, they say life's there for the taking, but truth is? Life's really there for sharing. Once you realize that, you might discover there's a little hero on all of us, after we're all a little nuts.
- We dig here, from the alley into the basement.
- [from the 2005's "Surly Squirrel"] Yeah, He's still there. We're looking good to go. [Surly: All right, Let's get moving.] Well, What about this guy?
- [sees Surly laying on the ground] Best... Friend.
- [King: Lana, crazy dame. Hey, ain't you got a nickel to call first?] [They both kiss] No need. Your ma told me where to find you, King.
- When were you gonna tell me, King? [King: I already told you before. You can't change who you are.]
- Percy "King" Dimpleweed, you and I are officially through.
- [last lines] Precious! Precious!
- Precious: Hey!
- Surly Squirrel: What?
- Precious: Can I join your team? I can play dead. Look! [plays dead then turns around to shake her tail] Look at this thing! This is crazy! Has a mind of its own!
- Raccoon: Well, what do we have here? [walks to Surly] A hero or a thief?
- Surly: You think you can starve the park to stay in control? Mole told me everything.
- Mole: What? What's he talking about? [chuckles] I didn't say anything! He's loopy! Yeah. Cuckoo, you know, nuts. Whoo-hoo! Whoo-hoo!
- Raccoon: Is this another one of your swindles? Some half-baked revenge against me? [Surly grunts] It's something else, isn't it? You're trying to impress. Grayson, perhaps. Andie? [Surly looks surprised] My accomplices will take care of them soon enough.
- Surly: [tries to get free] They don't follow me. They hate me. They hate me!
- Raccoon: Maybe, but I can't leave any evidence, Surly. [Cardinal lands on his shoulder] Every good thief knows that.
- Mole: Hey, this is getting a little crazy, don't you think? I mean...
- Raccoon: [interrupting Mole] Maybe we'll finish you off next… and where's that shiny thing he's supposed to have!?
- [The Dog whistle is in King's back pocket]
- King: All right, this is it. 10, 9...
- Raccoon: [picks up a bag of nuts] You'll get the rest once you dispose of Andie and Grayson. [The Rat catches the bag of nuts] I'll finish off Mr. Hero myself.
- Surly: The park'll get rid of you. They'll vote in new leaders.
- Raccoon:: How many leaders did you think this park can have?
- King: 3, 2…
- Raccoon: 1!
- Will Arnett as Surly, a purple squirrel.
- Brendan Fraser as Grayson, an idiotic, glory-hogging squirrel who has a false reputation for being the "park hero".
- Gabriel Iglesias as Jimmy, a groundhog and the leader of the Bruisers.
- Jeff Dunham as Mole, a mole who works for Raccoon and has eyes that are sensitive to light.
- Liam Neeson as Raccoon, a raccoon and the self-proclaimed, deceitful leader of the park.
- Katherine Heigl as Andie, a compassionate squirrel who eventually becomes Surly's friend.
- Stephen Lang as Percy "King" Dimpleweed, a mob boss.
- Maya Rudolph as Precious, a pug that is owned by Lucky.
- Sarah Gadon as Lana, King's girlfriend.
- James Rankin as Fingers, King's fellow criminal who helps Lucky run "Maury's Nut Shop".
- Scott Yaphe as Lucky, the owner of the peanut cart, who is Precious' owner and King's associate.
- Joe Pingue as Johnny, a groundhog and a member of the Bruisers.
- Annick Obonsawin as Jamie, a small female groundhog and a member of the Bruisers.
- Julie Lemieux as a girl scout that tries to buy nuts from Fingers and Lucky's nut cart.
- Robert Tinkler as Buddy, a rat and Surly's incompetent partner-in-crime who does not talk much