The Passion of the Christ
- I am the good shepherd. I lay down my life for my sheep. No one takes my life from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down and the power to take it up again. This command is from my Father.
- Peter, you could not watch even one hour with me?
- My heart is ready, Father, my heart is ready.
- Forgive them, Father. They know not what they do.
- It is accomplished!
- “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. If you love those who love you, what reward is there in that?
- (last lines) Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.
- Satan: Do you really believe that one man can bear the full burden of sin?
- Jesus: Shelter me, O Lord, I trust in you. In you I take my refuge.
- Satan: No one man can carry this burden, I tell you. It is far too heavy. Saving their souls is too costly. No one. Ever. No. Never.
- Jesus: Father, you can do all things. If it is possible, let this chalice pass from me... But let your will be done, not mine.
- Satan: Who is your father? Who are you?
- Caiphas: They say you're a king. Where is this kingdom of yours? What line of kings do you descend from? Speak up! You're just the son of some obscure carpenter, no? Some say you're Elijah, but he was carried off to Heaven in a chariot! Why don't you say something? You've been brought here as a blasphemer! What do you say to that? Defend yourself.
- Jesus: I have spoken openly to everyone. I've taught in the temple where we all gathered. Ask those who have heard what I have to say.
- Temple Guard: Is that how you address the high Priest? With arrogance? [strikes Jesus]
- Jesus: If I have spoken evil, tell me what evil I have said. But if not, why do you hit me?
- Annas: Yes, we'll listen to those that have heard your blashpemies. Good! Let's hear them!
- Accuser: He cures the sick by magic! With the help of devils! I've seen it. He casts out devils, with the help of devils.
- Accuser: He calls himself the king of the Jews!
- Accuser: No, he calls himself the Son of God! He said he would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days!
- Accuser: Worse! He claims he's the Bread of Life! And if we don't eat his flesh or drink his blood, we won't inherit eternal life.
- Caiphas: Silence! You're all under this man's spell. Either offer proof of his wrongdoing or be quiet!
- Nicodemus: This entire proceeding is an outrage. All I've heard from these "witnesses" is mindless contradiction!
Quotes about The Passion of the Christ
- This has been germinating inside me for 10 years, I have a deep need to tell this story. It's part of your upbringing, but it can seem so distant. The Gospels tell you what basically happened; I want to know what really went down
- I felt like a great presence came within me at times when we were filming. This prayer that came from me was, 'I don't want people to see me. I just want them to see Jesus. And through that conversions will happen.' That's what I wanted more than anything, that people would have a visceral effect to finally make a decision whether to follow Him or not.
- To be fair to [Mel Gibson], he has made what is now probably the definitive movie on the Easter story, "The Passion of the Christ", which, when it first came out, was subjected to quite a lot of criticism and abuse, mainly because it's a cynical piece of gratuitous trash aimed at simple-minded born again plankton. And for this reason it made a lot of money, so now some Hollywood studios get a panel of Christians to vet their movies before release just to make sure they won't offend any ignorant born again shit kickers who might happen to be watching. The future looks bright for American culture, wouldn't you say?