Thomas and the Magic Railroad
Thomas and the Magic Railroad is a 2000 British-American-Canadian feature film based on the TV series Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends, The Railway Series by the Rev. W. Awdry, and the United States TV series Shining Time Station. The film was co-produced by Gullane Entertainment and the Isle of Man Film Commission and distributed by Destination Films. It was written, produced and directed by Britt Allcroft.
It was first released in the U.K. where critics were unfamiliar with the characters from Shining Time Station and accused the film of "Americanizing" Thomas.
- 1 Main characters
- 2 Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends
- 3 Shining Time Station
- 4 Others
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Taglines
- 7 Cast
- 8 External links
Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends
Shining Time Station
- Bertie: How 'bout a race, Thomas? Vroom-vroom!
- Thomas: Sorry, Bertie. I can't today. I've to be a really useful engine and solve some mysteries instead.
- Bertie: I guess that means I win... perhaps, another day. Vroom-vroom-vroom…!
- Gordon: [waits at the station] 5, 6, 7, 8...
- Thomas: [pulls up besides Gordon] Who do we appreciate? Practicing your numbers, Gordon? That's a good engine.
- Gordon: I'm counting how many seconds late you are. What does that sign say?
- Thomas: Hmm… [reads the sign] "Sodor Railway, really reliable and right on time." [Gordon scoffs] "Signed, head of the railway - Sir Topham Hatt."
- Gordon: But you weren't on time, little Thomas.
- Thomas: And you're being bossy, Gordon. [Gordon scoffs again] Now, please excuse me. I'm meeting Mr. Conductor. He's looking after us while Sir Topham Hatt takes a much needed holiday.
- Gordon: Oh, I think we can take care of ourselves.
- Diesel (10): [suddenly roars through the station, surprising Gordon and scaring him] GET OUT OF MY WAY! I have unfinished business here, and I want to finish it FAST!! (And you'll never make this a better railway, I will! It'll be better for me!)
- Gordon: (What was–? Oh, no…) [shivering in fear] Diesel 10's back! Argh!
- Thomas: Yes, 10 out of 10 for devious deeds and brutal strength… The blast from the past who hates steam engines! (And he's our problem, and I can't Sir Topham Hatt sent him to us. He's really scary.)
- Gordon: Maybe we do need Mr. Conductor here after all... on time too.
- James: Sandal, fly! Uh, boot, fly! Shoo, fly! That's it! [Thomas shows up] Better still buzz off!
- Thomas: [hits the buffers too hard] Botheration!
- James: You weren't concentrating, Thomas! Lucky for you that the buffers were there.
- Thomas: That's what buffers are for - to stop engines from crashing. What are you doing in the sheds (anyway), James?
- James: I'm feeling a little blue, which isn't so hot when you're red. I was naughty and Sir Topham Hatt told me to think about all the ways I could be really useful, then I could come out again.
- Thomas: He's just trying to make this a better railways for steam engines. [Diesel 10 shows up]
- James: Uh, Thomas!
- Thomas: Sir Topham Hatt says the harder we work from a nasty old mean diesels to help.
- Diesel 10: Help you? [Evil laughs]
- Thomas: Uh, oh!
- Diesel 10: You always need help. Because steam engines are cowardly, cranky, worn out hunks of metals who couldn't hurt a fly!
- James: No, we're not!
- Diesel 10: Yes, you are!
- James: Aren't!
- Diesel 10: Are! Now, I've come back to find a lost steam engine.
- James: What?
- Diesel 10: I'm gonna destroy (and scrap) her and dominate you, and then you'll be nothing but useless scrap! [to his claw] Right, Pinchy? [evil Laughs and leaves]
- James: Big bully! STINKER!
- Thomas: We're really useful engines! You won't dominate us, and you won't destroy her! We won't let you, neither will Mr. Conductor! I wanna fetch him now!
- James: What lost engine?
- Billy Twofeathers: Important day, Mr. C?
- Mr. Conductor: It is a very important day!
- Mr. C(/Older Lily) [narrating]: Far away on Sodor, the steam engines were confidence, cheerful, and determined not to be bully by Diesel (10). Only James, who now felt really useful too, was complaining.
- James: Wobbly wheels!
- Thomas: Puffy pistons!
- James: Thomas, I should've collect Mr. Conductor!
- Gordon: James is right, little Thomas. [chuckles] Collecting Mr. Conductor is an important job, hmm. Important... is big. James is a big engine, huh?
- James: Hmm!
- Gordon: You, Thomas, are small. Small, small, small, tenny-weeny-weeny. And I... I'm a big blue engine, who knows everything. [chuckles]
- Thomas: Bossy Sprockets! All that steam has gone through your funnel.
- [the engines discuss about how to stop Diesel 10]
- Toby: What's important is to stand up on our own wheels to Diesel (10).
- Henry: Toby's right. Diesel (10) knows that the lost engine in the legend really exists.
- James: What engine?
- Percy: What legend?
- Henry: Of an engine whose magic makes her more powerful than Diesel (10) will ever be. That's why he wants to find her.
- Percy: Then we'd better find her first.
- James: [comes out of the shed] Leave it to the big engines, Percy!
- Thomas: Little Engines can do big things, especially when they have nice blue paint like me.
- Splatter: [to Dodge, about Thomas] Hey, hey! Just watch what happens when that blue puffball...
- Dodge: ...When Harold the flopper chopper flies past here.
- Splatter: Right!
- Harold: [flies by] Routine, flyby chaps. Hello!
- Splatter: The boss dumped sneezing powder everywhere.
- Dodge: Let's start laughing now!
- Splatter: [laughing] Yeah!
- Harold: [flies past the shed, causing dust to fly everywhere] Sorry, fellows. Bit of a dust up. Love to stay and clean up. Got to go! Bye now! [flies away]
- Splatter: [covered in sneezing powder] Uh, did you mean to look like that?
- Dodge: [covered in sneezing powder] Uh, no.
- Splatter: Uh, neither did I.
- Thomas: [covered in sneezing powder] This must be Diesel (10)'s doing! AH, CHOO! CHOO!
- Diesel 10: Hello, Twinkle Toes. I've got a plan and you're not in it.
- Mr. C: You can't catch me, Diesel (10)! [blows on his magic whistle twice, but only a little gold comes out of it]
- Diesel 10: [cackles] Losing your sparkle, huh? What perfect timing! Now where is that lost engine?
- Mr. C: You won't find her here.
- Diesel 10: You're not clever enough to stop me!
- Mr. C: Oh, yes I am!
- Diesel 10: No, you're not! [becomes frightened when he sees Mr. Conductor hold up a bag of sugar] What is that?
- Mr. C: That's right! It's sugar, Diesel (10), and if I throw this in your tank, it'll seize you up for good!
- Diesel 10: Make the most of tonight, Twinkle Toes… because you won't like tomorrow!
- [C. Junior's shell phone rings]
- C. Junior: Oh, that's my shell phone. [answers] Hello?
- Mr. C: Junior? Junior, is that you?
- C. Jr.: Oh, hi, cuz. Are you in a tunnel? You know, this is a really good line.
- Mr. C: Junior, where are you?
- Junior: Uh, I'm in paradise. I just got in club, you know, I...
- Mr. C: Junior, listen to me. You've got to come to the Island of Sodor right now!
- Junior: Now? But I'm waiting on a perfect wave!
- Mr. C: Oh, no, you're not, you're coming here! You have to help me find the source of all our family's gold dust.
- Junior: What is the source?
- Mr. C: That's the trouble, Junior. I haven't a clue.
- Junior: And I've used up all my gold dust too.
- Mr. C: WHAT?! [Junior sighs] Then go to Shining Time Station first. [Junior listening] And in my signalhouse, in the box, under the staircase, you'll find my emergency whistle with the last of my supply. Please, take care of this, Junior, and... don't talk to anyone about the buffers. (Okay?)
- Junior: [loudly] What buffers?! [Mr. C. shushing him] This is a really bad line. HELLO!? MY SHELL PHONE'S NOT WORKING PROPERLY!
- Mr. C: Junior, you got to come here, right away! I'M COUNTING ON YOU!
- Junior: HELLO?! [makes his phone dead] I want my money back.
- Mr. C: [the clue to the magic gold dust source at the Windmill] This must be the clue to unlock the source of the gold dust. [the clue writing appears] "Stoke up the magic in the mountain and the lady will smile... then watch the swirls that spin so well." [the clue writing disappears] Well, where's the writing gone?
- Splatter: Uh… so, boss?
- Dodge: Uh, how come you let Twinkle Toes escape?
- Splatter: Yeah. (You know, Mr. C?)
- Dodge: Yeah. (Him…)
- Diesel 10: [in a slightly ashamed but still "tough-guy" tone] Oh, that. Well, I-I did it on purpose you know I was...
- Splodge: Oh.
- Diesel 10: ...Testing to see if he could escape.
- Splatter: [in a sarcastic skeptical tone] Liar, liar...
- Dodge: ...Pants on fire.
- Splatter: Does he wear pants?
- Dodge: Well, training pants.
- Splatter: Oh, right.
- Diesel 10: All right! Playtime's over, Splodge!
- Splodge: Uh, oh!
- Diesel 10: Now, it's time for the next lesson, huh? I call it... "How to Stop Being Stupid". [Pinchy hits the coal chute, pouring coal all over him. James, Henry and Gordon saw and laugh at him] Uh, now that's gonna ruin my facial, folks. [Splodge groan]
- [while approaching the old magic buffers]
- Thomas: I promise I'll get you home to your grandfather, Lily.
- Tumbleweed: [starts leading Thomas to the buffers] Follow me, partner!
- Thomas: Whoa!
- Tumbleweed: Right this way to Bufferville, just a walk in the park!
- Thomas: We're going though, Lily.
- Tumbleweed: You're on your own here on in, little blue buckaroo! Yee-hoo! [bounces off the track]
- Thomas: Little engines can do big things! [passes through the magic buffers]
- Lily: [after Thomas collects one of the missing coal trucks] You're a really useful engine, Thomas.
- Lady: [gets her face in the Magic Railroad] So, Burnett, you didn't forget about magic. It's safe inside you. [later; Thomas toots]
- Lily: Thomas!
- Thomas: You found her, and she's beautiful!
- Mr. C: Watch out for the viaduct! It's dangerous! [Diesel 10 laughs] AAAH!!
- Junior: What's the matter?
- Mr. C: Lady. That engine's name is Lady! She's part of the clue to the source of the...
- Both Conductors: ...Gold dust!? [pause] AAAAAAAHH!!!
- Diesel 10(/P.T. Boomer): Now, I'll get you, Burnett Stone!
- Burnett: No, you won't, because the magic you refused to believe in will get the better of you.
- [Thomas and Lady are approaching the viaduct that's about to collapsed]
- Burnett: Well, Lady… This is your Shining Time, too.
- Lady: I hope so (with your help).
- Thomas: Come on, Lady! Little engines can do big things!!
- Diesel 10: [sees the big hole on the viaduct, applies his brakes] Ah, oh! Ooh, what's going on?! Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold it! [screams when he plunges off the bridge; Pinchy grabs hold of a track tie before falling] Puffball! Teapot! [the tie breaks] TIN KETTLE! [plunges into a passing barge pulled by a boat, gets taken away] Oh. Oh, well… Nice time of the year for a cruise. [chuckles nervously]
- [the conductors finally get their supply of magic gold dust]
- Thomas: Lady, you're a helpful engine.
- Lady: And helping each other, brings to life the magic in all of us.
- Pulling into theaters everywhere July 2000.
- Take the magic journey.
- Little Engines Can Do Big Things...
- Alec Baldwin as Mr. Conductor/Twinkle Toes and the Narrator
- Peter Fonda as Burnett Stone
- Jared Wall as Young Burnett
- Mara Wilson as Lily Stone
- Michael E. Rodgers as C. Junior/Twinkle Toes, Jr.
- Cody McMains as Patch
- Robert Tinkler as Adult Patch (uncredited)
- Didi Conn as Stacy Jones
- Russell Means as Billy Twofeathers
- Lori Hallier as Mrs. Stone (credit as "Lily's Mother")
- Laura Bower as Tasha (credit as "Young Tasha")
- Doug Lennox as P. T. Boomer (uncredited, some deleted scenes)
- Eddie Glen as Thomas
- Neil Crone as Tumbleweed (uncredited), Diesel 10, Gordon and Splatter
- Kevin Frank as Henry, Dodge, Bertie and Harold
- Britt Allcroft as Lady
- Linda Ballantyne as Percy
- Susan Roman as James
- Colm Feore as Toby
- Shelley-Elizabeth Skinner as Annie and Clarabel
Original voice actors
- John Bellis as Thomas
- Keith Scott as Diesel 10
- Patrick Breen as Splatter and Dodge (Splodge)
- Michael Angelis as James and Percy
- Kevin Frank and Neil Crone as the Troublesome Trucks