Touhou Project, also known simply as Touhou, is a bullet hell shoot 'em up video game series created by one-man independent Japanese doujin soft developer Team Shanghai Alice. The Touhou Project is set in Gensokyo, a land sealed from the outside world and primarily inhabited by humans and yōkai, legendary creatures from Japanese folklore that are personified in Touhou as bishōjo in an anthropomorphic moe style. Reimu Hakurei, the miko of the Hakurei Shrine and the main character of the series, is often tasked with resolving supernatural "incidents" caused in and around Gensokyo.
Highly Responsive to Prayers
A small shrine resting in a country far to the east, the "Hakurei Shrine". Many out-of-the-ordinary events transpire here, causing normal people to almost never draw close to the shrine. On the other hand, there is also a reason that "things that aren't human" never descend to terrorize the Human Village: because shrine maidens, females with the power to channel the gods, have lived at this shrine for many generations, guarding the gates to other realms such as Hell and Makai where those "things that aren't human" reside.
Reimu Hakurei: Well, whatever. Things will turn out just fine as long I use the yin-yang orb!
What sort of fate awaits this shrine maiden?
Story of Eastern Wonderland
- Meira: I am Meira. I will make the Hakurei mine.
- Reimu: Whoa, whoa, slow down there! Well, I guess I don't mind, but...
- Meira: ?
- Meira: A-Anyway, if I win, then the power of the Hakurei will be mine!
- Reimu Oh, my... There's no need to fight with me, you know!
- Meira: !?
- Reimu: My, what's the matter?
- Meira: It isn't you I want!! I want your power, you fool!!
- Reimu: My power? What do you mean?
- Meira: And besides, I'm a woman!! That's gross!!
Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream
The shrine maiden of the Hakurei Shrine, Reimu, was always getting wrapped up in strange circumstances (though it should be noted she was a bit strange herself), so her free time was when things were peaceful.
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
- Rumia: Is the person in front of me the edible kind?
- Reimu: Have you ever heard the saying "good medicine tastes bad"?
Patchouli Knowledge: Let's see... How to take out the black thing in front of me without having to do anything...
- Remilia Scarlet: Looks like it's going to be a fun night.
- Reimu: Looks like it's going to be a long night.
Perfect Cherry Blossom
Youmu Konpaku: The things that cannot be cut by my Roukanken, forged by youkai... are next to none!
- Ran Yakumo: Chen is my shikigami. She has recovered, and grown stronger than before.
- Reimu: She was supposed to be strong?
Mystia Lorelei: There's no human that doesn't fear me on night roads. If I wanted, I could call enough youkai here to eradicate every human in this land.
Eirin Yagokoro: Young children like yourself can't stand a chance against me, an eternal being. All the scarlet history that you've built up--- Divided by my history, the result is zero. From eternity's point of view, you are but a mere instant.
Kaguya Houraisan: The human body houses a fragile, round soul. What those humans live on is a huge, round orb below. And, what the superior people live on... is that lunatic orb behind me.
Phantasmagoria of Flower View
Great Fairy Wars
Cirno: When I get serious, I'm scarier than any shrine maiden! I'll freeze ya to death with my seriousness!
- Marisa: An echo spirit, huh? So all you do is parrot things back?
- Kyouko Kasodani: That is all I do, so don't tease me about it.
Mountain of Faith
- Nitori Kawashiro: Hey human. Kappa and humans have been sworn friends since ancient times, so let me tell you something.
- Reimu: Sworn friends? Are you sure you haven't mistaken an old enemy for a friend?
Koishi Komeiji: Read your mind? I've already closed my satori eye. Reading people's minds only makes you depressed, there's nothing good about it.
Satori Komeiji: Here's where it really begins. Now, sleep with this trauma that will leave you sleepless!
Undefined Fantastic Object
- Sanae Kochiya: Oh, I found the mysterious shining thing! Is this really an alien encounter?
- Nue Houjuu: What's an alien?
Double Dealing Character
Shinmyoumaru Sukuna: Someone like you, who was born into power, wouldn't know the joy of finally obtaining it.
Urban Legend in Limbo
- Sumireko Usami: you think that classical, behind-the-times youkai like yourselves can stand up to this era's humans and their collective knowledge?
- Kasen Ibaraki : Humans truly have become foolish. Have you forgotten the enigmatic terror of the youkai? Have you forgotten the mind-numbing darkness of the night?
Sumireko: You shouldn't underestimate humans these days. One can find just about anything by searching on the net, after all!
- Shinmyoumaru Sukuna: All right! Hand over the balls, you rotting hermit!
- Mononobe no Futo: Rotting... thou sayest?
- Shinmyoumaru: You're a shikaisen. That's pretty much the same as rotting.
- Shinmyoumaru: Whoa... What's up with this shining night? Wait, could this be the legendary Land of Science, Laputa?
- Sumireko: Wowー You're adorable! Are you riding in a bowl? You're like Issun-Boshi! Well, you're a bit bigger than 1 sun
- Shinmyoumaru: Umm... Are you a scientist? What are you planning to do with me?
- Sumireko: Maybe I'll make you into a pet? To think there were humans this small. It's awesomeー It's like a modern day circus attraction!
- Shinmyoumaru: Eek! Laputa does human experimentation? Oh, the humanity. Like I'd let myself get caught in a place like this, before I can get biggerー!
Sumireko: What should I feed her though? Maybe she likes cat food.
Hidden Star in Four Seasons
Aya Shameimaru: You don't seem related to the incident, so without further ado, allow me to blow you into the next week!
Eternity Larva: Come on! Get some exercise, and taste this summer heat with your whole body!
Cirno: Like I care! I'm the fairy who shall soon lord over Gensokyo! I can go anywhere and do anything I want!
Antinomy of Common Flowers
Joon Yorigami: Maybe you'd be happier slipping into the crowd and then, I dunno, dropping dead?
Hata no Kokoro: Since I had to memorize emotions logically, I got good at reading the emotions of others.
Touhou Gouyoku Ibun/Sunken Fossil World
Flandre Scarlet: I just want to destroy the indestructible. Especially you, who no one else can destroy! Here I come!
- Joon Yorigami: Seriously? This is what petroleum is?
- Yuuma Toutetsu: Yep, absolutely. In the Outside World, they even use tons of the stuff while knowing full well what it is! Petroleum has always been produced from organic beings. This liquid has always been made from the fear, pleasure, grief, loathing, and resentment of living creatures! Now get out of here, you pair of eternal poors!
- You've seen plenty of photographs of UFOs, right? But there's no space war going on. UFOs fly around just because they feel like it.
- Annoying UFO card description
- A card that's popular amongst many humans and youkai, because "what is a screen edge, anyway?" is a great topic for getting people's interest.
- Screen Border card description
- If you had psychic powers, which one would you use? Teleportation? Telepathy? Hmm, I guess I'd have to go with some nice psychokinesis. I mean, you can take care of everything besides that with technology, right?
- Psychokinesis card description
100th Black Market
- It's so easy to lose sight of small fish, isn't it? Maybe they're actually disappearing for that brief moment. Perhaps there's a parallel world that only small fish know about.
- Smelt’s Scales card description
Books & literature
Perfect Memento in Strict Sense
Marisa Kirisame: It ain't magic if it ain't flashy. Danmaku's all about firepower.
Hieda no Akyuu : [Yukari Yakumo] is a youkai that you do not want to deal with. Even besides the fundamental issue of the danger of her ability, this youkai will appear anywhere unexpectedly, her character is lacking in human sentiment, and her behavioral principles are completely different from those of humans, to name a few of her issues.
Hieda no Akyuu :Out of the generations of shrine maidens, [Reimu’s] sense of danger is the most lacking and she has meager training, yet her power is considerable.
The Grimoire of Marisa
Note: all quotes are “written” by Marisa, in-universe
- Let's just say that moths = creepy butterflies
- A Spell Card that shoots butterflies resembling Yuyuko's. These ones are a whole level nastier than hers, though. Unlike Yuyuko's butterflies, which are the dreams of an eternal sleep, Yukari's feel like they're gatherin' around the scent of rotten flesh. Creepy.
- A Spell Card with a mysterious power that turns space inside-out. I'm jealous.
- Holy Relic "Yin-Yang Kishin Orb"
- Notes: Mainly used as a trick at parties
- A Spell Card where [Reimu] throws a giant yin-yang orb that was tucked away who-the-heck-knows-where.
- Why can't insects just stay in their cocoons and lead a quiet life?
- [Hesitation-Cutting Sword "Slash of Departure from Hesitation" is] a Spell Card where she just smacks you with her sword. "This isn't danmaku, is it?" Touche. By the way, "Departure From Hesitation" is apparently the boat that ferries souls across to Higan from the world of the unenlightened. So I guess a literal translation would be "Gonna-Kill-Ya Slash".
- A Spell Card that requires you to dodge Yukari's attacks while avoiding Ran. Kinda feels like they're both ganging up on ya at once, but maybe that's just me.
- When your opponent disappears, you can't tell where you'll be attacked from. Fearsome. That's just how much evading danmaku relies on seeing your opponent, I suppose. I want her to teach me how to disappear, by the way.
- Taboo "Forbidden Games"
- Notes: Nothin' but crosses
- A Spell Card that flings crosses en masse. Why crosses? 'Cause they have a lot at their house, apparently. Are they cross hunters, or did these belong to the humans that became their food?
- Water Sign "Kappa's Pororoca"
- Notes: What's a pororoca...?
- Even if there were a festival where people threw tomatoes at each other, I would prefer to eat them chilled and salted.
- A Spell Card that reaches deep into your mind, calls forth vague images that ain't even proper memories, and stresses you out with high-density danmaku that isn't actually there. I bet it's the perfect spell to use against folks who feel like they're always surrounded by danmaku.
- I asked her what [Unconscious "Rorschach in Danmaku"] actually supposed to be, but she said it's just a random blob that happens to look like some kinda meaningful shape. It just looks like a colony a' mosquitoes to me.
- A Spell Card where sunflowers orbit around you like the moon. What kinda aesthetic sense would turn sunflowers into danmaku like this? According to Patchouli, she referenced a grimoire from outside that described a sunflower orbitin' the Earth. Uh... huh.
- A Spell Card where bloodstained knives fly at you. ...It sounds like I'm just making fun of it when I write it out like that, but then the dripping blood turns into danmaku and attacks you, which is scary. The blood starts moving when Remilia speaks a command. It's like the stuff has a mind of its own. Must be some pretty awesome blood!
- Kosuzu Motoori: Miss Reimu's been keeping an eye on me?
- Yukari Yakumo: Indeed. As you're well aware, she's a human who specializes in youkai extermination. She especially hates it when humans admire youkai the way you do.
Alternative Facts in Eastern Utopia
We asked one of the visitors: "Why are you wearing your hat in the bath?", to which she (Ms. Ran Yakumo) answered with a smile: "Because you're taking a picture of me".
Hecatia Lapislazuli: A cage, like for a bird or an insect, can't function if it's completely sealed off. You need at least the air to pass through. Without the sun, the flowers wouldn't bloom. Similarly, without new wind and sun constantly entering Gensokyo, the place would simply die off. Closing off Gensokyo means no longer accepting things. Do you really think Gensokyo could survive without visitors bringing in new ideas?
Dolls in Pseudo-Paradise
Our village of honest men originally consisted of only eight people. We all picked up and moved to a mountain in the east. Two years of honestly boring daily life passed us by. One day, one of us found a little hole by a peach tree. Yes, that was the day we were lost in this paradise. And right away, I stopped being human.
What does it all mean? One was poisoned with coffee, one was nailed to a tree, another was beheaded... I can't believe it. I got the chair and rope ready, and mumbled to myself one last time. Since he had died last, then it could only have been the one who was poisoned by the coffee. In other words... is that how it is? That must be it. There must have been something in my dinner. But it doesn't matter anymore, I'm the last one left. I don't have any attachments left to such a world full of liars. This time I tied a good, strong rope to the ceiling and kicked away the chair. This time, my body didn't fall all the way down to the ground.
And then, there were no honest men left.
There are eight less people in this paradise, "Gensokyo", and seven corpses were carried off by youkai. Gensokyo has lost these honest men forever. It's just a change in the population count. Not important news in the least.
Akyu's Untouched Score
It's been 13 years since I wrote these songs... To be frank, those 13 years have passed just like that. You can't let your days pass by with regrets. Before you know it, your strength of will and body are taken away from you, and all that's left over are lead dreams - a heavy-metal spirit that won't even cross over the Sanzu River. Somebody said that death is the great equalizer; I wonder who it was? I get the feeling that a few humans live out their lives in their own way and become something else entirely.
- ZUN, postscript for vol. 5
- ↑ (About 3 Centimeters)