|edit the header|
|Wikiquote discussion pages see also: requests|
General policy discussions and proposals, requests for permissions and major announcements.
Questions and discussions about specific quotes.
Welcome, newcomers and baffled oldtimers! If you have a question about Wikiquote and how it works, please click the link above "create a new topic", and then you can place your submission at the bottom of the list, and someone will attempt to answer it for you. (If you have a question about who said what, go to the reference desk instead.)
Before asking a question, check if it's answered by the Wikiquote:FAQ or other pages linked from Wikiquote:Help. Latest news on the project would be available at Wikiquote:Community portal and Wikiquote:Announcements.
Before answering a newcomer's question abruptly, consider rereading Please do not bite the newcomers.
Questions and answers will not remain on this page indefinitely (otherwise it would very soon become too long to be editable). After a period of time with no further activity, information will be moved to other relevant sections of Wikiquote, (such as the FAQ pages) or placed in one of the village pump archives if it is of general interest, or deleted. Please consider dating and titling your discussions so as to facilitate this.
- I have simplified the markup to make the text readable, without the special font treatment often employed in math texts for formulae. ~ Ningauble (talk) 12:56, 1 April 2017 (UTC)
I have been trying to log in to my Wiki account (en.wikipedia.org) but cannot remember the password.
When I try to reset the password the message is "the username Yo does not exist on this wiki, but you reset its password on the wiki that it is.
When I click on that link it shows that I am apparently attached to 5 wiki accounts. But if I try to log in to one of these attached accounts, the whole process starts all over again.
Please advise how I can log in.
- When you request a password reset, the system sends you an e-mail with a new temporary password. Did you receive the e-mail? If so, you should follow the instructions in that e-mail before the temporary password expires. If you did not provide an e-mail address when you created the account (or subsequently in your account profile) or if you no longer have access to that e-mail account, then there is no way to reset the password and you will have to abandon the account. ~ Ningauble (talk) 17:13, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.
The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.
The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).
We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.
Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.
The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.
The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.
- April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
- April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
- April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
- May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
- May 15–19 – Board vote checking
- May 20 – Board result announcement goal
In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:
- Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
- There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
- Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
- One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.
More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-electionswikimedia.org.MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 03:36, 7 April 2017 (UTC) • Please help translate to your language • Get help
The last week of the 1st cycle of Wikimedia strategy conversation
Hi, I'm Szymon, a MetaWiki Strategy Coordinator. 3 weeks ago, we invited you to join a broad discussion about Wikimedia's future role in the world. The discussion is divided into 3 cycles, and the first one ends on April, 15. So far, Wikimedians have been discussing mainly about technological improvements, multilingual support, friendly environment, cooperation with other organizations and networks.
- If you'd like to get detailed information about the discussed topics, have a look at → that page.
- If you'd like to join the discussions, please comment → on the talk page of that page or on Meta-Wiki.
- If you have any questions that weren't answered there, feel free to ask me.
- Having been pinged here, I commented at that talk page after the fact, comparing this exercise to the previous one in which I did participate. ~ Ningauble (talk) 17:35, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May
Search widget to find quotes that are: Featured/Popular/Historic
On each page there would be a drop-down menu to quickly find quotes that are:
- Featured - this quote was featured as a 'quote of the day'.
- Popular - this quote is popular or well-known (e.g. all quotes currently in bold.)
- Historic - this quote is historic (e.g. Armstrong's That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.)
These are of course suggested categories. A tool like this would be very useful on the longer pages (e.g. John F. Kennedy).
This widget would work just like the Wikicommons widget (menu in upper-right that has these options:featured pictures/quality images/valued images). Please click that link to see how it works. It is possible the same Opensource code used there could be used for Wikiquote.—This unsigned comment is by Craig 8 8 (talk • contribs) 08:06, 24 April 2017.
- Great idea. Unfortunately, most quotes currently in bold are neither popular nor well-known. ~ DanielTom (talk) 12:15, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
- P.S. "A tool like this would be very useful on the longer pages (e.g. John F. Kennedy)" – I very much agree. But consider the page you gave as an example: pretty much all quotes on John F. Kennedy are in bold! Q.E.D. This is why I keep saying that bold text should be used sparingly (e.g. as in The Aeneid or The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell) – to highlight the most famous quotes, not for decorative purposes... ~ DanielTom (talk) 12:54, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
- A lovely idea in theory, but I am afraid the culture of our wiki community is not really up to the task of identifying which quotations are most noteworthy in these and similar respects. Even the featured 'quote of the day' designation is an idiosyncratic choice by mostly one person because the broader community seldom participates in the selection process. I wish we were better at featuring the best, but we are not. ~ Ningauble (talk) 17:27, 24 April 2017 (UTC)