Alfred Ernst Rosenberg (January 12, 1893 – October 16, 1946) was a Baltic German theorist and an influential ideologue of the Nazi Party. He is considered one of the main authors of key National Socialist ideological creeds, including its racial theory, persecution of the Jews, Lebensraum, abrogation of the Treaty of Versailles, and opposition to degenerate modern art. He is known for his rejection of and hatred for Christianity, having played an important role in the development of German Nationalist Positive Christianity. At Nuremberg he was sentenced to death and executed by hanging as a war criminal and for crimes against humanity.
- See also: The Myth of the Twentieth Century (1930)
- When asked if he had any last words, 10/16/46. Quoted in "The Mammoth Book of Eyewitness World War II" - Page 564 - by Jon E. Lewis - History - 2002.
- ...ignoring the potential force possessed by a homogeneous race, bemused by the slogans of human equality, all parliaments adopted the dogma of infinite toleration.
- "The Russian-Jewish Revolution", Auf Gut Deutsch magazine, February 1919. Quoted in Roderick Stackelberg, Sally A. Winkle, The Nazi Germany Sourcebook: An Anthology of Texts. Routledge, 2013 (p.50). Also in Barbara Miller Lane and Leila J. Rupp, Nazi Ideology Before 1933: A Documentation. University of Texas Press, 2014 (p.12).
- Fate will not be confined by paragraphs.
- On the limitations of written constitutions, 1946. "Memoirs" - Page 190 - by Alfred Rosenberg.
- From education by the Church to education by Germanic value is a step of several generations. We are the transition from one education to the other. We are the conquerors of one era and the founders of a new - also religious - epoch. We bear a heavy and therefore a great destiny. To destroy images is something every revolution has been able to do. But to establish its cause upon nothing and yet not to burn all bridges behind it: that is the nobility of character of the National Socialist era. The German people is not marked by original sin, but by original nobility. The place of Christian love has been taken by the National Socialist, Germanic idea of comradeship...which has already been symbolically expressed through the replacement of the rosary by the spade of labour.
- Quoted in Chapter 13, Part 3 of "The Face Of The Third Reich" by Joachim C. Fest.
- How can we still speak of the salvation and reformation of Europe, when we have to ask Europe's destroyer for help?
- On the Nazi-Soviet Pact. Quoted in "The Face of the Third Reich: Portraits of the Nazi Leadership" - Page 171 - by Joachim C. Fest - History - 1999.
- I have the feeling that this Moscow Pact will at some time or other exact vengeance upon National Socialism.
- Quoted in "The Face of the Third Reich: Portraits of the Nazi Leadership" - Page 171 - by Joachim C. Fest - History - 1999.
- I would adopt a standpoint, irrespective of whether someone was for or against it, if I felt deeply that it was right for the movement.
- Quoted in "The Face of the Third Reich: Portraits of the Nazi Leadership" - Page 165 - by Joachim C. Fest - History - 1999.
- Anti-Semitism is the unifying element of the reconstruction of Germany.
- Quoted in "Famous Trials: Cases that Made History" - Page 104 - by Frank McLynn - 1995.
- Germany will regard the Jewish question as solved only after the very last Jew has left the greater German living space... Europe will have its Jewish question solved only after the very last Jew has left the continent.
- Quoted in "World Politics in Our Time" - Page 375 - by David C. Jordan - 1970.
- I didn't say that the Jews are inferior. I didn't even maintain they are a race. I merely saw that the mixture of different cultures didn't work.
- January 12, 1946. Quoted in "Nuremberg Diary" - Page 120 - by G. M. Gilbert - History - 1995
- We let 50,000 Jewish intellectuals get across the border. Just as I wanted Lebensraum for Germany, I thought Jews should have a Lebensraum for themselves - outside of Germany.
- December 15, 1945. Quoted in "Nuremberg Diary" - Page 72 - by G. M. Gilbert - History - 1995.
- As I said, I am grateful that you do take notes, but I do wish that you take them accurately and not misrepresent my rather complex theories and reasoning. After all, I am a philosopher and a student, and my thoughts may be complex. If at any time you don't follow me, please interrupt and I will explain further. I have to smile when some of the defendants say in court that they never read my books or works, because it is a reflection on their inabilities to follow a philosophic trend of thought, which to the common man is much too deep and profound. It is difficult for one to express important opinions and theories scientifically and at the same time use simple construction. However, I have always tried to be as lucid as possible and I never strived to make my work or writings beyond the comprehension of the normally intelligent man.
- To Leon Goldensohn, June 8, 1946, from "The Nuremberg Interviews" by Leon Goldensohn, Robert Gellately - History - 2004.
- The tribunal here and your American newspapers talk so much about our sharp Nazi methods, but do you realize that within the past year, since the defeat of Germany, 1 million Germans have been evicted from what was originally German territory and which has now been given to Poland? No League of Nations or other body intervened.
- To Leon Goldensohn, June 8, 1946, from "The Nuremberg Interviews" by Leon Goldensohn, Robert Gellately - History - 2004
- If Rosenberg was to decide … we would only have rite, thing, myth and such kind of swindle.
- I always had the impression that Rosenberg embodied German mysticism. I felt that he belonged to the Romantic era and that there was only a slight whiff of modernity about him. There was nothing unified or organized about the man. Now I want to say something terrible, which is not for the trial. This pure theoretician carries the main guilt of all those who sit here on the defendants' bench, although he carries that guilt to a certain extent innocently. In my opinion, he had a tremendous influence on Hitler, during the period when Hitler still did some thinking - later that stopped. I mean about between the years 1923 and 1928 Rosenberg influenced Hitler. Let me explain. Hitler was a man who lived in the present and was a tremendously active individual. Rosenberg's importance exists because his ideas, which were only theoretical, became in the hands of Hitler a reality and actually transpired.
- Rosenberg was completely areligious. That was the deepest of his defects. Rosenberg has a one-track mind. He is a pedant. One gathers the impression certainly that he never obtained knowledge from his surroundings, which would be necessary in order to form new philosophic ideas, but he obtained his ideas from books and from his own mind, which was not subject to the influences of reality. Rosenberg had less influence among the old National Socialists than one would believe. But among the youth his ideas played a great part because they were utilized in every school. The tragic thing is that Rosenberg's fantastic theories were actually put into practice.
- A party philosopher who was interested in historical research and had no idea of the violence which his philosophy was inciting in the twentieth century.
- It was Rosenberg, the intellectual high priest of the "master race," who provided the doctrine of hatred which gave the impetus for the annihilation of Jewry, and who put his infidel theories into practice against the Eastern Occupied Territories. His woolly philosophy also added boredom to the long list of Nazi atrocities.
- The Memoirs of Alfred Rosenberg at the Internet Archive
- Der Mythus des 20. Jahrhunderts von Alfred Rosenberg an das Internet Archive (German/Deutsch)
- Der Protestantische Rompilger at archive.org. (German/Deutsch)
- An die Dunkelmänner unserer Zeit at archive.org. (German/Deutsch)
- Tradition und Gegenwart - Reden und Aufsätze 1936-1940 at archive.org. (German/Deutsch)
- Die Protokolle der Weisen von Zion und die jüdische Weltpolitik at archive.org. (German/Deutsch)
- Unmoral in Talmud at archive.org. (German/Deutsch)
- Wesen, Grundsätze und Ziele der NSDAP - Das Programm der Bewegung at archive.org. (German/Deutsch)
- "The Gnostic Origins of Alfred Rosenberg's Thought" by James Whisker