Lithuania (Lithuanian: Lietuvos Respublika), officially the Republic of Lithuania, is a country in Northern Europe. One of the three Baltic states, it is situated along the southeastern shore of the Baltic Sea, to the east of Sweden and Denmark. It is bordered by Latvia to the north, Belarus to the east and south, Poland to the south, and Kaliningrad Oblast (a Russian exclave) to the southwest. Lithuania has an estimated population of 2.9 million people as of 2015, and its capital and largest city is Vilnius.
|This Geography article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- If Lithuania needs to defend itself again, we will not be alone as we were in some fatal historical moments
- Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite said in a televised address, quoted on Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty (February 16, 2016), "Lithuania Celebrates Restoration Of Independence"
- On behalf of the Government, the people of India and on my own behalf, I have great pleasure in conveying to Your Excellency and to the friendly people of Lithuania warm greetings and felicitations on the occasion of your National Day. Relations between India and Lithuania have traditionally been close. The unveiling of the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in Lithuania recently is a reflection of our commitment to common and enduring values. I am confident that our bilateral relations will continue to gain substance and strength in the years to come for the mutual benefit of the peoples of our two countries. Please accept, Excellency, my best wishes for your well-being and continued success, as well as for the progress and prosperity of your country and people
- Pranab Mukherjee, quoted on Business Standards (February 15, 2016), "India, Lithuania will continue to gain substance for mutual benefit: President"
- Please accept the best wishes of the American people as you celebrate the 98th anniversary of Lithuania's declaration of independence. Lithuania continues to serve as a model to others, by advancing democracy and security on a global scale. Your dedication to helping other counties complete their own democratic transformation has been made clear through your work in the EU Eastern Partnership. In addition, you have continued to show leadership beyond your borders by standing with Ukraine and by maintaining your consistent support of Afghanistan.
- Barack Obama wrote in a congratulator letter to his Lithuanian counterpart, Dalia Grybauskaite, quoted on Baltic Times (February 15, 2016), "President Obama hails Lithuania as "model for strengthening democracy""
- The Lithuanian Jewish Community believes refusal to release the list [list of Nazi collaborators] could have negative repercussions at the international as well as national level and could give rise to various theories that would damage the reputation of the Lithuanian state – for example, that Lithuania is avoiding the criminal prosecution in cases of still-living Holocaust perpetrators – and that might be exploited and manipulated for political aims unfavorable to the Lithuanian state
- Faina Kukliansky, the president of the organized Lithuanian community, quoted on JPost (February 14, 2016), "Lithuanian Jews call for government to publish list of Nazi collaborators"
- More and more Americans are visiting Europe. Most of those who travelled to Europe before haven’t visited Lithuania yet. On a second trip, Lithuania could and should be a new destination. We want to update what people know about Lithuania. To let them know of all the exciting things going on here. Our health tourism, our resorts, our festivals and culture. Even about the opportunity to have business conferences here, because we have such a good atmosphere for a very good price.
- Jurgita Kazlauskienė, head of the Departement of Tourism in Lithuania, quoted on Delfi (February 14, 2016), "Lithuania sets eyes on Japanese and American tourists"