Collaboration is working with others to do a task and to achieve shared goals. It is a recursive process where two or more or organizations work together to realize shared goals, (this is more than the intersection of common goals seen in co-operative ventures, but a deep, collective determination to reach an identical objective — for example, an endeavor that is creative in nature—by sharing knowledge, learning and building consensus. Most collaboration requires leadership, although the form of leadership can be social within a decentralized and egalitarian group. In particular, teams that work collaboratively can obtain greater resources, recognition and reward when facing competition for finite resources. Collaboration is also present in opposing goals exhibiting the notion of adversarial collaboration, though this is not a common case for using the word.
- Quotes are arranged alphabetically by author
- We should seek by all means in our power to avoid war, by analysing possible causes, by trying to remove them, by discussion in a spirit of collaboration and good will.
- Neville Chamberlain in: Northern European Overture to War, 1939–1941: From Memel to Barbarossa, BRILL, 17 May 2013, p. 31
- We'll continue to expand our footprint... Oracle's Fusion cloud applications for HCM, CRM and ERP all have a new simplified user interface and an integrated social network that makes our enterprise applications as easy-to-use and familiar as Facebook, while enabling better collaboration and teamwork among your employees and your customers.
- Larry Ellison in: Bob Evans Larry Ellison and Mark Hurd Emphasize Oracle's Cloud Growth, Forbes, 7 January 2014
- The PC has improved the world in just about every area you can think of. Amazing developments in communications, collaboration and efficiencies. New kinds of entertainment and social media. Access to information and the ability to give a voice people who would never have been heard.
- Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.
- Life is not a solo act. It's a huge collaboration, and we all need to assemble around us the people who care about us and support us in times of strife.
- The basic idea of email has remained essentially unchanged since the first networked message was sent in 1971. And while email is great for one-on-one, formal correspondence, there are far better tools for collaboration.
- Ryan Holmes in: 5 Ways Social Media Will Change The Way You Work in 2013, Forbes, 12/11/2012
- Marx and Engels are arguably history's most famous couple. Such was the closeness of their collaboration that it is not always easy to recall which works bore both names, which just that of Marx, and which just Engels.
- There's four main pillars to the bow tie - self-representation, service, collaboration and critical thought. You have to understand how to represent yourself and critically understand how to collaborate and serve others.
- Dhani Jones in: Bengals LB Jones proves to be a true Renaissance man, Official Site of the National Football League
- If we could start working together before we trust, understand, or like each other, we might learn to…Perhaps we need to engage, even in uncertainty, and work out issues as they arise.
- Melanie Kaye/Kantrowitz To Be a Radical Jew in the Late 20th Century in The Tribe of Dina: A Jewish Women's Anthology (1986)
- Politeness is the poison of collaboration.
- The ability and desire to transform the mundane materials at hand that we both bring into the collaboration well beyond the sum total of the parts - to birth a new baby neither of us could claim single parentage of.
- Gary Lucas in: Ratzek, et al., Wirtschaftsförderung und Standortentwicklung durch Informationsdienstleistungen: das unterschätzte Potenzial von Bibliotheken, Simon Bibliothekswissen, 2008, p.90
- Creating a better world requires teamwork, partnerships, and collaboration, as we need an entire army of companies to work together to build a better world within the next few decades. This means corporations must embrace the benefits of cooperating with one another.
- Simon Mainwaring in: We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World, Macmillan, 7 June 2011, p. 125
- We need to develop and disseminate an entirely new paradigm and practice of collaboration that supersedes the traditional silos that have divided governments, philanthropies and private enterprises for decades and replace it with networks of partnerships working together to create a globally prosperous society.
- Simon Mainwaring in: Peter Holbrook Social Innovation and Empowerment through Partnersh, North Somerset Community Partnership (nscphealth.co.uk)
- Europe and Africa share proximity and history, ideas and ideals, trade and technology. You are tied together by the ebb and flow of people. Migration presents policy challenges - but also represents an opportunity to enhance human development, promote decent work, and strengthen collaboration.
- In a way, editing is not unlike the movies. The best books, just like the best movies, are a collaboration. They're only as good as the compromise made between the artists involved.
- Social innovation thrives on collaboration; on doing things with others, rather than just to them or for them: hence the great interest in new ways of using the web to 'crowdsource' ideas, or the many experiments involving users in designing services.
- There is a lot to be said for collaboration, and it should be seen as just another way to do things as it is in other forms of writing, such as for television, where it is standard practice.
- The digital revolution has deepened the crisis within representative democracy. But as it forces its demise, it might also dictate its future. Traditional representative democracy within nations is no longer enough. People want more participation and collaboration with their government.
- As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people's ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.
- Amy Poehler in: Tochukwu O. Okafor, Tochukwu O Okafor MpaThe Joy of Success: What It Means to Transform Success Into Excellence, iUniverse, 8 April 2013, p. 53
- We hope that through these trade arrangements, through collaboration in training, in manpower development, and what have you, ASEAN in, say, ten years' time, will be a very different ASEAN.
- Some people think architecture is about the genius sketch; I don't. Great architecture is a collaboration among a lot of people over a long period of time.
- Joshua Prince-Ramus in: Joshua Prince-Ramus On The Myth Of Architectural Genius, Forbes, 14 June 2010
- Fracking is doable if there's full disclosure of all chemicals used. Secondly, science dictates the policy rather than politics. Third, there's collaboration between environmental groups and the natural gas industry.
- Musicals are — particularly musicals — plays also, but musicals particularly are… the last collaborator is your audience, and so you’ve got to wait ’til the last collaborator comes in before you can complete the collaboration.
- Our species is the only creative species, and it has only one creative instrument, the individual mind and spirit of a man. Nothing was ever created by two men. There are no good collaborations, whether in art, in music, in poetry, in mathematics, in philosophy. Once the miracle of creation has taken place, the group can build and extend it, but the group never invents anything. The preciousness lies in the lonely mind of a man.
- Unity is strength... when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.
- Collaboration is important not just because it's a better way to learn. The spirit of collaboration is penetrating every institution and all of our lives. So learning to collaborate is part of equipping yourself for effectiveness, problem solving, innovation and life-long learning in an ever-changing networked economy.
- Don Tapscott in: The spirit of collaboration is touching all of our lives, The Globe and Mail, 7 June 2013
- Just as the Internet drops transaction and collaboration costs in business and government, it also drops the cost of dissent, of rebellion, and even insurrection.
- Don Tapscott in: M.I. Seka Life Lessons of Wisdom & Motivation - Volume III: Insightful, Enlightened and Inspirational quotations and proverbs, Providential Press, 28 February 2014, p. 67
- Good design begins with honesty, asks tough questions, comes from collaboration and from trusting your intuition.
- Freeman Thomas in: Reviving Professional Learning Communities: Strength Through Diversity, Conflict, Teamwork, and Structure, Rowman & Littlefield, 1 December 2012, p. 63
- In World War Two, the worst cases of collaboration weren’t among the real collaborators, that official Militia, but among the people at large, who were collaborators without knowing it, by a sort of laxity, an apathy.
- Paul Virilio , Pure War (2008), p. 183