Criminal Minds (2005–) is an American television show, airing on CBS, about an elite squad of FBI profilers that analyzes the country's most twisted criminal minds and anticipates their next move before they strike again.
- 1 Season 1
- 1.1 Extreme Aggressor [1.1]
- 1.2 Compulsion [1.2]
- 1.3 Won't Get Fooled Again [1.3]
- 1.4 Plain Sight [1.4]
- 1.5 Broken Mirror [1.5]
- 1.6 L.D.S.K. [1.6]
- 1.7 The Fox [1.7]
- 1.8 Natural Born Killer [1.8]
- 1.9 Derailed [1.9]
- 1.10 The Popular Kids [1.10]
- 1.11 Blood Hungry [1.11]
- 1.12 What Fresh Hell [1.12]
- 1.13 Poison [1.13]
- 1.14 Riding the Lightning [1.14]
- 1.15 Unfinished Business [1.15]
- 1.16 The Tribe [1.16]
- 1.17 A Real Rain [1.17]
- 1.18 Somebody's Watching [1.18]
- 1.19 Machismo [1.19]
- 1.20 Charm & Harm [1.20]
- 1.21 Secrets and Lies [1.21]
- 1.22 The Fisher King (Part 1) [1.22]
- 2 Season 2
- 2.1 The Fisher King (Part 2) [2.1]
- 2.2 P911 [2.2]
- 2.3 The Perfect Storm [2.3]
- 2.4 Psychodrama [2.4]
- 2.5 Aftermath [2.5]
- 2.6 The Boogeyman [2.6]
- 2.7 North Mammon [2.7]
- 2.8 Empty Planet [2.8]
- 2.9 The Last Word [2.9]
- 2.10 Lessons Learned [2.10]
- 2.11 Sex, Birth, Death [2.11]
- 2.12 Profiler Profiled [2.12]
- 2.13 No Way Out [2.13]
- 2.14 The Big Game [2.14]
- 2.15 Revelations [2.15]
- 2.16 Fear and Loathing [2.16]
- 2.17 Distress [2.17]
- 2.18 Jones [2.18]
- 2.19 Ashes to Dust [2.19]
- 2.20 Honor Among Thieves [2.20]
- 2.21 Open Season [2.21]
- 2.22 Legacy [2.22]
- 2.23 No Way Out II: The Evilution of Frank [2.23]
- 3 Season 3
- 3.1 Doubt [3.1]
- 3.2 In Name and Blood [3.2]
- 3.3 Scared to Death [3.3]
- 3.4 Children of the Dark [3.4]
- 3.5 Seven Seconds [3.5]
- 3.6 About Face [3.6]
- 3.7 Identity [3.7]
- 3.8 Lucky [3.8]
- 3.9 Penelope [3.9]
- 3.10 True Night [3.10]
- 3.11 Birthright [3.11]
- 3.12 3rd Life [3.12]
- 3.13 Limelight [3.13]
- 3.14 Damaged [3.14]
- 3.15 A Higher Power [3.15]
- 3.16 Elephant's Memory [3.16]
- 3.17 In Heat [3.17]
- 3.18 The Crossing [3.18]
- 3.19 Tabula Rasa [3.19]
- 3.20 Lo-Fi [3.20]
- 4 Season 4
- 4.1 Mayhem [4.1]
- 4.2 The Angel Maker [4.2]
- 4.3 Minimal Loss [4.3]
- 4.4 Paradise [4.4]
- 4.5 Catching Out [4.5]
- 4.6 The Instincts [4.6]
- 4.7 Memoriam [4.7]
- 4.8 Masterpiece [4.8]
- 4.9 52 Pickup [4.9]
- 4.10 Brothers in Arms [4.10]
- 4.11 Normal [4.11]
- 4.12 Soul Mates [4.12]
- 4.13 Bloodline [4.13]
- 4.14 Cold Comfort [4.14]
- 4.15 Zoe's Reprise [4.15]
- 4.16 Pleasure Is My Business [4.16]
- 4.17 Demonology [4.17]
- 4.18 Omnivore [4.18]
- 4.19 House on Fire [4.19]
- 4.20 Conflicted [4.20]
- 4.21 A Shade of Gray [4.21]
- 4.22 The Big Wheel [4.22]
- 4.23 Roadkill [4.23]
- 4.24 Amplification [4.24]
- 4.25 To Hell and Back (Part 1) [4.25]
- 4.26 To Hell and Back (Part 2) [4.26]
- 5 Season 5
- 5.1 Nameless, Faceless [5.1]
- 5.2 Haunted [5.2]
- 5.3 Reckoner [5.3]
- 5.4 Hopeless [5.4]
- 5.5 Cradle to Grave [5.5]
- 5.6 The Eyes Have It [5.6]
- 5.7 The Performer [5.7]
- 5.8 Outfoxed [5.8]
- 5.9 100 [5.9]
- 5.10 The Slave of Duty [5.10]
- 5.11 Retaliation [5.11]
- 5.12 The Uncanny Valley [5.12]
- 5.13 Risky Business [5.13]
- 5.14 Parasite [5.14]
- 5.15 Public Enemy [5.15]
- 5.16 Mosley Lane [5.16]
- 5.17 Solitary Man [5.17]
- 5.18 The Fight [5.18]
- 5.19 Rite of Passage [5.19]
- 5.20 ...A Thousand Words [5.20]
- 5.21 Exit Wounds [5.21]
- 5.22 The Internet Is Forever [5.22]
- 5.23 Our Darkest Hour [5.23]
- 6 Season 6
- 6.1 The Longest Night [6.1]
- 6.2 J.J. [6.2]
- 6.3 Remembrance of Things Past [6.3]
- 6.4 Compromising Positions [6.4]
- 6.5 Safe Haven [6.5]
- 6.6 Devil's Night [6.6]
- 6.7 Middle Man [6.7]
- 6.8 Reflection of Desire [6.8]
- 6.9 Into the Woods [6.9]
- 6.10 What Happens at Home [6.10]
- 6.11 25 to Life [6.11]
- 6.12 Corazon [6.12]
- 6.13 The Thirteenth Step [6.13]
- 6.14 Sense Memory [6.14]
- 6.15 Today I Do [6.15]
- 6.16 Coda [6.16]
- 6.17 Valhalla [6.17]
- 6.18 Lauren [6.18]
- 6.19 With Friends Like These... [6.19]
- 6.20 Hanley Waters [6.20]
- 6.21 The Stranger [6.21]
- 6.22 Out of the Light [6.22]
- 6.23 Big Sea [6.23]
- 6.24 Supply & Demand [6.24]
- 7 Season 7
- 7.1 It Takes a Village [7.1]
- 7.2 Proof [7.2]
- 7.3 Dorado Falls [7.3]
- 7.4 Painless [7.4]
- 7.5 From Childhood's Hour [7.5]
- 7.6 Epilogue [7.6]
- 7.7 There's No Place Like Home [7.7]
- 7.8 Hope [7.8]
- 7.9 Self-Fulfilling Prophecy [7.9]
- 7.10 The Bittersweet Science [7.10]
- 7.11 True Genius [7.11]
- 7.12 Unknown Subject [7.12]
- 7.13 Snake Eyes [7.13]
- 7.14 Closing Time [7.14]
- 7.15 A Thin Line [7.15]
- 7.16 A Family Affair [7.16]
- 7.17 I Love You, Tommy Brown [7.17]
- 7.18 Foundation [7.18]
- 7.19 Heathridge Manor [7.19]
- 7.20 The Company [7.20]
- 7.21 Divining Rod [7.21]
- 7.22 Profiling 101 [7.22]
- 7.23 Hit [7.23]
- 7.24 Run [7.24]
- 8 Season 8
- 8.1 The Silencer [8.1]
- 8.2 The Pact [8.2]
- 8.3 Through the Looking Glass [8.3]
- 8.4 God Complex [8.4]
- 8.5 The Good Earth [8.5]
- 8.6 The Apprenticeship [8.6]
- 8.7 The Fallen [8.7]
- 8.8 The Wheels on the Bus [8.8]
- 8.9 Magnificent Light [8.9]
- 8.10 The Lesson [8.10]
- 8.11 Perennials [8.11]
- 8.12 Zugzwang [8.12]
- 8.13 Magnum Opus [8.13]
- 8.14 All That Remains [8.14]
- 8.15 Broken [8.15]
- 8.16 Carbon Copy [8.16]
- 8.17 The Gathering [8.17]
- 8.18 Restoration [8.18]
- 8.19 Pay It Forward [8.19]
- 8.20 Alchemy [8.20]
- 8.21 Nanny Dearest [8.21]
- 8.22 #6 [8.22]
- 8.23 Brothers Hotchner [8.23]
- 8.24 The Replicator [8.24]
- 9 Season 9
- 9.1 The Inspiration [9.01]
- 9.2 The Inspired [9.02]
- 9.3 Final Shot [9.03]
- 9.4 To Bear Witness [9.04]
- 9.5 Route 66 [9.05]
- 9.6 In the Blood [9.06]
- 9.7 Gatekeeper [9.07]
- 9.8 The Return [9.08]
- 9.9 Strange Fruit [9.09]
- 9.10 The Caller [9.10]
- 9.11 Bully [9.11]
- 9.12 The Black Queen [9.12]
- 9.13 The Road Home [9.13]
- 9.14 200 [9.14]
- 9.15 Mr. & Mrs. Anderson [9.15]
- 9.16 Gabby [9.16]
- 9.17 Persuasion [9.17]
- 9.18 Rabid [9.18]
- 9.19 The Edge of Winter [9.19]
- 9.20 Blood Relations [9.20]
- 9.21 What Happens in Mecklinburg [9.21]
- 9.22 Fatal [9.22]
- 9.23 Angels (Part 1) [9.23]
- 9.24 Demons (Part 2) [9.24]
- 10 Season 10
- 10.1 X [10.01]
- 10.2 Burn [10.02]
- 10.3 A Thousand Suns [10.03]
- 10.4 The Itch [10.04]
- 10.5 Boxed In [10.05]
- 10.6 If the Shoe Fits [10.06]
- 10.7 Hashtag [10.07]
- 10.8 The Boys of Sudworth Place [10.08]
- 10.9 Fate [10.09]
- 10.10 Amelia Porter [10.10]
- 10.11 The Forever People [10.11]
- 10.12 Anonymous [10.12]
- 10.13 Nelson's Sparrow [10.13]
- 10.14 Hero Worship [10.14]
- 10.15 Scream [10.15]
- 10.16 Lockdown [10.16]
- 10.17 Breath Play [10.17]
- 10.18 Rock Creek Park [10.18]
- 10.19 Beyond Borders [10.19]
- 10.20 A Place at the Table [10.20]
- 10.21 Mr. Scratch [10.21]
- 10.22 Protection [10.22]
- 10.23 The Hunt [10.23]
- 11 Season 11
- 11.1 The Job [11.01]
- 11.2 The Witness [11.02]
- 11.3 Til Death Do Us Part [11.03]
- 11.4 Outlaw [11.04]
- 11.5 The Night Watch [11.05]
- 11.6 Pariahville [11.06]
- 11.7 Target Rich [11.07]
- 11.8 Awake [11.08]
- 11.9 Internal Affairs [11.09]
- 11.10 Future Perfect [11.10]
- 11.11 Entropy [11.11]
- 11.12 Drive [11.12]
- 11.13 The Bond [11.13]
- 11.14 Hostage [11.14]
- 11.15 A Badge and a Gun [11.15]
- 11.16 Derek [11.16]
- 11.17 The Sandman [11.17]
- 11.18 A Beautiful Disaster [11.18]
- 11.19 Tribute [11.19]
- 11.20 Inner Beauty [11.20]
- 11.21 Devil's Backbone [11.21]
- 11.22 The Storm [11.22]
- 12 Cast
- 13 External links
Extreme Aggressor [1.1]
- Gideon: Joseph Conrad said, "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary. Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."
- Hotchner: This is Doctor Reid.
- David Woodland: You seem too young to have gotten into medical school.
- Reid: They're PhD's. Three of them.
- David Woodland: Are you a genius or something?
- Reid: I don't believe that intelligence can be accurately quantified, but I do have an I.Q. of 187, an eidetic memory and can read 20,000 words per minute. [off David's look] Yes, I'm a genius.
- Gideon: "Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
- Reid: Samuel Beckett.
- Morgan: "Try not. Do or do not."
- Reid: Yoda.
- Garcia: You've reached Penelope Garcia in the FBI's Office of Supreme Genius.
- Morgan: Hey it's Morgan. Need you to work me some magic here. I got a program called Deadbolt Defense and a girl with only a couple hours to live. So what do you know?
- Garcia: Then you got a problem. Deadbolt's the number one password crack resistant software out there. You're going to have to get inside this guy's head to get the password.
- Morgan: I thought I was calling the Office of Supreme Genius.
- Garcia: Well, gorgeous, you've been rerouted to the Office of Too Friggin' Bad.
- Gideon: Nietzsche once said, "When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you."
- Gideon: Einstein once said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world."
- Greenaway: Chemical accelerant could mean chemistry student.
- Reid: It could also mean chemistry professor.
- Greenaway: I say student. You need self-confidence to lecture in front of a classroom full of 30 college kids. Arsonists are socially incompetent. This guy doesn’t go on dates, doesn’t go to parties, doesn’t feel comfortable in front of groups. [Reid looks at Elle, realizing he fits the description] And of course he’s a total psychopath.
- Reid: Of course.
- Garcia: Okay, you know how on Star Trek when Captain Kirk asked McCoy to do something totally impossible and McCoy says, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!"?
- Morgan: Hey, what are you telling me? Not to expect a miracle?
- Garcia: No, I'm saying I'm not a doctor.
- Morgan: That's my girl.
- Campus Security Guard: You’re one of those FBI guys. A profiler, right? Like, one look at the crime scene you can tell what kind of shampoo a killer uses.
- Gideon: You're a bit skeptical.
- Campus Security Guard: Maybe a little.
- Gideon: Your girlfriend thinks you're going to break up with her.
- Campus Security Guard: You're kidding, right?
- Gideon: Faulkner once said: "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."
Won't Get Fooled Again [1.3]
- Gideon: Samuel Johnson wrote, "Almost all absurdity of conduct arises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble."
- Greenaway: I may have something. Barbara Keller was having some trouble insuring some coins she bought. The insurance company thought they might be fake.
- Hotchner: So the insurance company is blowing up annoying clients?
- Morgan: [regarding the bomb fragments] Let's start putting this bad boy together.
- Garcia: Why bother? Don't you just dust for prints and...stuff?
- Morgan: Garcia, what are you doing in the FBI?
- Garcia: I didn't get into medical school?
- Morgan: Why does that not surprise me?
- Greenaway: I can't see why anyone wanna kill a little old lady who collects cats and coins.
- Hotchner: Unless someone wants the coins. I spent a good chunk of my childhood looking for a 1944 penny worth thousands. [looks at Elle] Yes, I was a little bit of a nerd. Is that so surprising?
Plain Sight [1.4]
- Gideon: French poet Jacques Rigaut said, "Don't forget that I cannot see myself. That my role is limited to being the one who looks in the mirror."
- Morgan: I hate not having a plan. We're looking for a needle in a haystack.
- Reid: Actually, it's more like we’re looking for a needle in a pile of needles.
- Morgan: What?
- Reid: A needle would stand out in a haystack.
- Morgan: Okay. Then we're not looking for someone who stands out.
- Reid: No, we're looking for a particular needle in a pile of needles.
- Reid: Do you think it's weird that I knew that ballad?
- Greenaway: I don't know how you know half the stuff you know, but I'm glad you do.
- Reid: Do you think that's why I can't get a date?
- Greenaway: You ever ask anyone out?
- Reid: [nervously shifts his eyes] No.
- Greenaway: That's why you can't get a date.
- Gideon: Rose Kennedy once said, "Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn't people feel as free to delight in whatever sunlight remains to them."
Broken Mirror [1.5]
- Gideon: Euripides said, "When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him."
- [after seeing another agent flirt with Morgan and girls stare at him]
- Reid: Must be tough, man.
- Morgan: [laughs] Not really.
- Reid: What do you mean? You don't DO anything and these women are throwing themselves at you.
- Morgan: Strictly off limits, Reid.
- Reid: There's no code of conduct that says agents can't socialize.
- Morgan: See, my code of survival says never mess with a woman who carries a gun.
- Reid: I don't know everything. I mean, despite the fact that you think that I do.
- Morgan: I never said that. When have I ever said that?
- Reid: Every day since I met you!
- Greenaway: This morning at breakfast.
- Hotchner: Yesterday when he beat you at cards. Um, we've got one minute.
- Morgan: Anybody ever heard of sarcasm?
- Evan Davenport: [to Reid] Excuse me, can you actually read that fast?
- Reid: Our conscious mind can process sixteen bits of information per second. Our unconscious, however, can process eleven million. [off Davenport's look] Yes, I can actually read this fast.
- Gideon: Euripedes said, "When love is in excess, it brings a man no honor nor worthiness."
- Gideon: Nietzsche wrote, "The irrationality of a thing is not an argument against its existence, rather, a condition of it."
- Greenaway: Reid failed his qualification.
- Gideon: He can retest in two weeks.
- Greenaway: Yeah, but he's gonna be embarrassed, so let's not mention it.
- Gideon: Yeah, let's not.
- Morgan: Not a word. [Reid enters the room] Hey, We're all here for you. I'm serious. If you ever need anything… [places a whistle around Reid's neck and blows on it] …just blow on that.
- Hotchner: [about a head shot Reid accomplished] Nice shot.
- Reid: I was aiming for his leg.
- Hotchner: Well, I wouldn't have kept kicking, but I was afraid you didn't get my plan.
- Reid: I got your plan the minute you moved the hostages out of my line of fire.
- Hotchner: Well, I hope I didn't hurt you too badly.
- Reid: Hotch, I was a twelve year-old child prodigy in a Las Vegas public high school. You kick like a nine year-old girl. [tries to return the gun]
- Hotchner: No, keep it. As far as I'm concerned, you passed your qualification.
- Gideon: This is going to hit you, and when it does, there's only three facts you need to know: You did what you had to do, and a lot of good people are alive because of what you did.
- Reid: What's the third?
- Gideon: I'm proud of you.
- Hotchner: Shakespeare wrote, "Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable."
The Fox [1.7]
- [discussing Hotchner's newborn son]
- J.J.: He's so gorgeous.
- Haley: Thank you.
- Reid: If you find baldness and wrinkles attractive.
- Garcia: Look at his little witty bitty nose. [to Morgan] Don't you want one of these?
- Morgan: I'll stick to practicing.
- Reid: Nobody gets therapy these days without a healthy dose of medication.
- Garcia: What are you implying, Reid?
- Reid: That everyone is medicated.
- Garcia: Did you just make a joke?
- Reid: No, I mean... Statistics, they... They show it...
- Garcia: Reid. Next time, just say yes.
- Gideon: Fielding said that the person he saw was small.
- Morgan: Yeah, well, in order to get through that door you'd have to be 5'4", tops, and real thin.
- Gideon: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
- Morgan: Sherlock Holmes was a fictional character. Whoever did this isn't.
- Reid: Are you hacking into the government's HMO database? Is that legal?
- Garcia: Course not. We'll both go to prison and you'll be someone's bitch.
- Reid: Really?
- Karl Arnold: I would keep them apart until the last night. 'Till the last supper. Then I would bring them, one by one, down to the basement. The youngest first. The father last.
- Morgan: Why, Karl?
- Karl Arnold: So he could see what happens to families when the head of household isn't strong. Wives wither. Children perish. But me? I'm an excellent father.
Natural Born Killer [1.8]
- Gideon: Hemingway wrote, "There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else."
- Hotchner: You were just responding to what you learned, Vincent. When you grow up in an environment like that, an extremely abusive and violent household...it's not surprising that some people grow up to become killers.
- Vincent: Some people?
- Hotchner: What's that?
- Vincent: You said some people grow up to become killers.
- Hotchner: And some people grow up to catch them.
- Morgan: [sees Garcia with a cardboard box] Please tell me you brought some breakfast.
- Garcia: Trust me, sugar. You're not going to want to eat when you see what's in here.
- Greenaway: Can you get into those records?
- Reid: Despite the fact that they were probably expunged, she can find the faintest echo of deletion, successfully recreate the file, thereby sending us all to prison for computer felony fraud counts.
- [Greenaway and Garcia share a weird look]
- Greenaway: We can make bail.
- Gideon: Carl Jung said, "The healthy man does not torture others. Generally, it is the tortured who turn into torturers.”
- Gideon: Robert Oxton Bolt once wrote, "A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind."
- Reid: [to Dr. Bryer] The voices, they helped you right? While the other kids were outside in the playground, you were inside studying, reading, learning. The voices wouldn't stop. They helped you understand things that other people couldn't realize. Then, as you grew older, it became almost a responsibility, right? A responsibility to use that ability, to use your knowledge.
- Greenaway: [complaining] Gideon, will you tell him that I don't need to go to the hospital?
- Gideon: Regulations are regulations. You're all right?
- Greenaway: Yeah, I'm fine, 'dad.'
- Gideon: Elle?
- Greenaway: Yeah?
- Gideon: Don't ever call me 'dad' again. [walks away]
- Greenaway: [to Reid] What do you think he'd feel about 'mom?'
- Reid: Let me know when you're going to do that so I can run.
- Morgan: And remember, play into the guy's fantasy, believe it yourself.
- Reid: Actually, did you know that dentists and surgeons have been secretly recruited to implant these during otherwise normal medical procedures? This has been happening on and off since the late 1930s. [Morgan looks at him] Told me to believe.
- Reid: Albert Einstein asked, "The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I or the others crazy?"
The Popular Kids [1.10]
- Gideon: Sir Peter Ustinov said, "Unfortunately, a super abundance of dreams is paid for by a growing potential for nightmares."
- [Reid is pouring piles of sugar into his coffee]
- Morgan: Easy there, tough guy. Have some coffee with your sugar.
- Reid: I need something to wake me up.
- Morgan: Ooh, late night?
- Reid: Very.
- Morgan: My man!
- Reid: Not that kind of late night!
- Morgan: So tell me, what does keep young Dr. Reid awake at night? Wait, let me guess. Memorizing some obscure textbook? No, no, no. Working on cold fusion? No, I got it, I got it, I got it. Watching Star Trek and laughing at the physics mistakes.
- Reid: Actually, there aren't that many scientific errors in Star Trek. Especially considering how long ago it was made. There are certain improbabilities, but not that many outright errors.
- Morgan: Right.
- Reid: Melted wax?
- JJ: Candle wax?
- Reid: Candles are used in rituals.
- Gideon: They're also used on birthday cakes.
- Reid: Actually, they were originally used to protect the birthday celebrant from demons for the coming year. As a matter of fact, down to the fourth century, Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan ritual.
- Sheriff Bridges: What kind of a doctor are you?
- Gideon: Playwright Eugene Ionesco said, "Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together."
Blood Hungry [1.11]
- Hotchner: What happened to you?
- Gideon: [entering the room on crutches] I got a list of things I want to try before it's too late.
- Greenaway: [sarcastically] And orthopedic surgery's one of them?
- Gideon: No, skydiving. Apparently it's all about the landing.
- Gideon: [to Garcia, hurriedly] Give me the book. The big one, right there.
- Garcia: OK. [muttering under her breath] Get the book, please, Penelope. Here you are. Thank you.
- Hotchner: Well, you managed to get on Garcia's nerves pretty thoroughly.
- Gideon: Who's Garcia?
- Hotchner: Penelope? The tech? With the glasses.
- Gideon: In the room with the screens? She's great!
- Hotchner: How is it having Gideon around?
- Garcia: You can have him back whenever you would like.
- Gideon: Harriet Beecher Stowe once said, "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
What Fresh Hell [1.12]
- Gideon: The poet W. H. Auden wrote, "Evil is always unspectacular, and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our table."
- Garcia: [thinking Gideon sent her a bouquet of flowers] Thank you for the flowers! [reading from the card] "I know I can be challenging, but your work is appreciated. J. Gideon." I appreciate the appreciation. And, by the way, you're not challenging. Well, you're totally challenging, but you're not challenging at all in a bad way. Sir.
- Garcia: Penelope Garcia's house of "How May I Save Your Ass Today?"
- Morgan: Well, you can give me the sex offender registry for Wilmington, Delaware.
- Garcia: Oh, that's always a fun group. Um, Morgan, did you hear that Agent Gideon sent me flowers?
- Morgan: No kidding?
- Garcia: Jealous?
- Morgan: SEX OFFENDERS, Garcia!
- Gideon: Hey, Hotch, did you send flowers to that tech room girl Garcia, and say they were from me?
- Hotchner: Yeah.
- Gideon: Why?
- Hotchner: Jason, people need to know that they're important and sometimes you forget that.
- Gideon: Well, I already sent her a gift, an MP3 player. They last longer unless you drop it or the batteries die, whichever comes first.
- Hotchner: So she got two gifts.
- Gideon: What if she thinks I'm sweet on her?
- Gideon: "Measure not the work until the day's out and the labor done." Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- Gideon: Well, he's raw, broken and seriously pissed off.
- Hotchner: But he didn't hurt the son to get back at the mother.
- Gideon: Not consciously, no.
- Hotchner: You have the opportunity to treat people with the mercy that they never showed you.
- Edward Hill: I can't even tell you how little that means to me.
- Hotchner: What would it mean to your children?
- Gideon: Mr. Fisher?
- Eric Fisher: Shrink or cop?
- Gideon: Well, I'm an FBI profiler, so I guess I'm a little of each.
- Gideon: Confucius warned us, "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."
Riding the Lightning [1.14]
- Hotchner: How many others are there?
- Jacob Dawes: I only have a few hours left and, though I like you – and I do like you – I'd like to be alone now. [offering his hand for a shake] Good meeting you, Hotch.
- Hotchner: [ignoring his hand] I'm not done yet.
- Jacob Dawes: Oh, me neither.
- Hotchner: Are there more bodies?
- Jacob Dawes: If I told you that, what would I have left for myself?
- Hotchner: You could help these families get closure before you die.
- Jacob Dawes: Pass.
- Gideon: I think you're innocent.
- Sarah Jean Dawes: We're all guilty of something.
- Gideon: Albert Pine said, "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."
Unfinished Business [1.15]
- Max Ryan: Aren't you going to present the profile?
- Gideon: The team can handle it.
- Max Ryan: The team. You're not worried about too many cooks?
- Morgan: [regarding Max Ryan] I heard he was forced into early retirement.
- Hotchner: No, he chose to retire.
- Reid: He's written a new book about the Keystone Killer case.
- Hotchner: He moved to Philadelphia to be closer to the crime scene.
- Greenaway: That's retirement?
- Morgan: BAU style.
- Reid: What do you think of Ryan?
- Hotchner: He hasn't changed much.
- Reid: I think we can learn a lot from him.
- Hotchner: What could you possibly learn that you don't already know?
- Reid: Hotch, repetitive thinking is a death mill for the brain. For complete brain usage, diverse stimulation is the key.
- Greenaway: Abraham Lincoln once said, "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
The Tribe [1.16]
- Hotchner: Nietzsche wrote, "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe."
- John Blackwolf: [to Gideon] You look like a college professor. [to Reid] You look like his student. [to Hotchner] You look like FBI.
- Hotchner: We took down these four.
- Reid: Without firing a shot?
- John Blackwolf: Captain America here shot number five.
- Hotchner: You're welcome. Number six is cut up pretty bad. I don't think he's gonna make it.
- John Blackwolf: At least I didn't shoot him.
- Morgan: I think I'd rather be shot.
- John Blackwolf: Inside 21 feet, I win. Outside 21, I have other options besides shooting a man.
- Reid: Like negotiating.
- John Blackwolf: Like running.
- Hotchner: There's an old Apache saying: "You can take many paths to get to the same place."
A Real Rain [1.17]
- Gideon: W. H. Auden said, "Murder is unique in that it abolishes the party it injures, so that society must take the place of the victim and on his behalf demand atonement or grant forgiveness."
- Gideon: [discussing the unsub and how he is perceived by the public] He's a hero.
- Reid: The exact same thing happened with the Goetz New York subway shootings in the early eighties.
- Gideon: You weren't even born.
- Reid: I read a lot.
- Reid: [to the waitress after having difficulty with his chopsticks] Excuse me, could I get a fork perhaps? [everyone laughs] Did you know that experts credit Confucius with the advent of the chopstick. He equated knives with acts of aggression.
- Morgan: You don't know how to use them, do ya?
- Reid: It's like trying to forage for your dinner with a pair of number two pencils.
- Hotchner: OK, here's what we know: Blitz attackers are almost always male.
- Morgan: Well, he got picked up in the pouring rain by a New York cabbie, so we definitely know he's not a brother.
- Gideon: Gandhi said, "Better to be violent if there's violence in our hearts than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence."
- Hotchner: Gandhi also said, "I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent."
Somebody's Watching [1.18]
- Gideon: Diane Arbus once said, "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you, the less you know."
- Lila Archer: I wish, um, things had been... more normal when we had met.
- Reid: Lila, believe me when I say this, I've never known a normal day in my entire life.
- Reid: [trying to coax Lila out of her swimming pool] Lila, I'm begging of you. Will you please get out of the pool?
- Lila Archer: Really, Spence, you should live a little.
- Reid: Live a little? I've known you 48 hours. I feel like I've already aged 10 years.
- Gideon: [the artist has just pronounced her picture 'boring'] Oh, I don't think so. I mean nothing's just a picture. If viewed correctly - whatever that means - one can see world views, obsessions, manifestations of the subconscious.
- Gideon: Bernard Shaw once said, "An American has no sense of privacy. He does not know what it means. There is no such thing in the country."
- Hotchner: Anthony Brandt wrote, "Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."
- Morgan: What's all this?
- Deputy Borquez: Día de los Muertos.
- Reid: Day of the Dead. A three-day Latin holiday where souls of dead relatives are said to return to earth to enjoy the pleasures that they once knew of.
- Deputy Borquez: It sounds like he was reading that out of a book.
- Morgan: No, trust me. He always sounds like that.
- Reid: Actually, I was reading. I picked this pamphlet up at the airport.
- Gideon: It's the Chikatilo Syndrome.
- JJ: The what?
- Reid: Andrei Chikatilo, one of the most prolific serial killer of the 20th century. By the time they found him, he had killed more than 50 people.
- Gideon: He was no more experienced than any average serial killer, but he lived in the Soviet Ukraine. The Soviets were convinced the serial killer is a uniquely American phenomenon. Inevitable result of... [in a Russian accent] decadent capitalism.
- Jessica: [watching Hotchner hold his son] You're holding him like a cantaloupe.
- Hotchner: Why? You think you can do better? Here you go, smartypants. [the baby quiets down in her arms] Fine. Let's see you profile a disorganized psychopath.
- JJ: All right, so is it possible that there are fewer serial killers in Mexican culture?
- Gideon: It is possible. But, in my experience, evil is not a cultural phenomenon. It's a human one.
Charm & Harm [1.20]
- Gideon: The French philosopher Voltaire wrote, "There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
- Morgan: [hearing Elle's phone ring] Aww, that must be the boyfriend.
- Greenaway: Yes, it is. [answers phone] Hey Gideon.
- Greenaway: You really don't know someone till you take a road trip with them.
- Morgan: What are you trying to say?
- Greenaway: Look at this car, man. There's empty soda cans and fast food wrappers everywhere. You're a slob. You know, back at Quantico your desk was all neat, but I bet if you looked in those drawers you'd find a mess.
- Morgan: OK, we have been on the road way too long.
- Garcia: Aaron, do you have any idea how many people drown every day?
- Hotchner: Well, yeah. There're more in the summer for obvious reasons, but I think it averages to about sixty-five hundred a year, which is 17 a day?
- Garcia: Is this Reid?
- Gideon: The author François de la Rochefoucauld wrote, "We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."
Secrets and Lies [1.21]
- Gideon: Albert Einstein said, "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
- Gideon: Then we have to assume the mole has an exit strategy.
- Hotchner: Only now we're blocking the exit, and the only way out is through us.
- Gina Sanchez: Let's get one thing clear. We all write a letter just like the one Summers wrote.
- Morgan: A suicide note? That doesn't mess with your mind just a little bit?
- Gina Sanchez: I am neither disillusioned nor confused about what I am, what I do, or what I have done.
- Morgan: Somebody here is. Why else would they rat out their own people?
- Gina Sanchez: You'll have to ask them.
- Garcia: You do know what this means?
- JJ: What.
- Garcia: We'll be able to find out whether Princess Diana's death was really an accident!
- JJ: I think that's exactly the kind of thing that got you on their list.
- Gideon: George Orwell said, "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
The Fisher King (Part 1) [1.22]
- Gideon: Writer Elbert Hubbard said, "No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one."
- Garcia: [angrily over the phone to Morgan when he asks for information] The information superhighway is closed. Someone had the nerve to run a black hat op into my computers, Morgan. They hacked me, okay? But you can bet your sweet ass I will find them. I've got honeypot farms hidden behind UML kernel data packets and a first generation honeynet I personally programmed. My snort-log lists every visitor, every server request, every keystroke of this entire network. If I have to back-hack his IP all the way to the freakin' stone age I will find this son of a bitch, okay? So, bye!
- Hotchner: Hey, don't knock family. I'm gonna get nothing but for the next 336 hours.
- Morgan: Hmm, good for you.
- Hotchner: Haley's got a list of chores a mile long and I can't wait. The biggest decision I gotta make is what I'm gonna do first.
- Greenaway: I bet you she has a thought or two about that as well.
- Hotchner: Bring it on.
- Gideon: I needed a place where I didn't have to know what was out there, where I could close my eyes and not see bodies torn to pieces, or hear children calling out for help. That cabin was the only thing I had left and this guy took it away from me.
- JJ: [about the incredible Sir Kneighf] Please tell me you don't have a crush on a fictional character.
- Garcia: He's not fictional. He's the online alter-ego of a real person.
- JJ: Mm-hmm, but you don't know anything about him, or even if he is… a him.
- Garcia: Look, we meet online at specified times that he is never late to. We spend hours adventuring and chatting during which time I have his undivided attention and he lavishes me with flattery. When was the last time you had a date go that well?
- JJ: See if he's got a fictional brother.
The Fisher King (Part 2) [2.1]
- Gideon: "The defects and faults of the mind are like wounds in the body; after all imaginable care has been taken to heal them up, still there will be a scar left behind." French writer François La Rochefoucauld
- Morgan: Detective, I've seen kids missing for a decade and their rooms look exactly the way they did the day that they left. Parents don't just pack up their kids stuff and put them in boxes in the garage. Parents don't give up, ever. What the hell is going on here?
- Reid: People tell me their secrets all the time. I think it's because they know I don't have anyone to betray them to. Except my mother. I tell her pretty much everything.
- Randall Garner: Ask the question, I'll be healed and you may take the grail. Just ask the question, Sir Knight.
- Reid: I can't.
- Randall Garner: Heal me.
- Reid: Mr. Garner, a fisher king wound cannot be healed by somebody else. It's... it's not a wound of the body. It's a wound of the memory, a wound of the mind. It's... it's a wound that only you can find, and a wound that only you can heal.
- Randall Garner: Just ask the question.
- Reid: There's only one question that matters, Mr. Garner. There's only one really important question. Can you forgive yourself?
- Reid: "It has been said time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone." Rose Kennedy
- Gideon: Theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, "The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children."
- Katherine Cole: I gave up on him. A year ago, I gave up on looking for him – there were so many other kids.
- Gideon: Katie, I'm sure you did what you could.
- Katherine Cole: Do you ever ask yourself how you make a decision like that? How you come to the conclusion that it's time to move on to the next kid? I mean, how do you give yourself that kind of permission? What's happened to that boy in the year that I stopped looking for him?
- Reid: [Watching Elle break into a locked desk drawer] Did they teach you that in FBI school?
- Greenaway: No, they taught me that in Brooklyn.
- Morgan: [to Reid] Come on genius, do something genius-like.
The Perfect Storm [2.3]
- Gideon: Mark Twain wrote, "Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."
- Reid: Wow. She obviously did nothing to protect Amber from the abuse. She... she feels betrayed by her mother and now receives extreme sadistic pleasure in watching the same thing that happened to her. Strange. In this case, the abused actually became the abuser.
- Garcia: That doesn't happen a lot?
- Reid: One in eight.
- Garcia: We found the one.
- Hotchner: Philosopher Khalil Gibran wrote, "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."
- Hotchner: "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." Oscar Wilde
- Greenaway: [reading the headline] Stripping Bandit. That's terrible. That makes it sound like the bandit's doing the stripping.
- Reid: What would you call him?
- JJ: Pervert.
- Greenaway: Scumbag.
- Morgan: I'd call him an ass.
- Hotchner: Hey, focus, please.
- Haley: [via phone discussing Jack's medical condition] At home with my mom. I didn't want him here while we were talking. Look, I know this job is important to you, but we're important, too.
- Hotchner: You don't have to tell me that.
- Haley: I don't want you to wake up some day in some random city and realize that you don't know your own son.
- Gideon: Save one life, we save the world.
- Hotchner: Yeah. Well, there's one thing I didn't tell the trainees.
- Gideon: What's that?
- Hotchner: We do not get paid enough.
- Gideon: You got that right.
- Hotchner: "The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." Milan Kundera
- Gideon: Helen Keller once said, "Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of overcoming it."
- Hotchner: You tend to forget, don't you?
- Gideon: What?
- Hotchner: All the different moods on the plane. I think the mindset's different when the victims are still alive.
- Hotchner: [after Lisa Blake's rape] How bad were her injuries?
- CSU Tech: She's lucky, they're relatively minor.
- Hotchner: Do me a favor? Don't tell her that she's lucky.
- Morgan: Oh, one last thing. Look up the words "sexy" and "brilliant" in that computer of yours, and tell me what you come up with.
- Garcia: Look at that, it's me.
- Morgan: You are a goddess, woman. Ciao. [Morgan beeps off phone and sees the women in the waiting room staring] It was a... it was a work call.
- Reid: I thought maybe... you might want to talk.
- Greenaway: Don't go all profiler on me.
- Reid: Elle, you got shot in your own home, and then came back to the BAU like nothing even happened. Thinking you might want to talk isn't profiling, it's Psych 101.
The Boogeyman [2.6]
- Hotchner: Plato wrote, "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Morgan: You really are afraid of the dark.
- Reid: I'm working on that.
- Morgan: You should work a little harder.
- Garcia: This is true. All complaints filed were false alarms, but then there is that matter of his missing wife.
- Reid: Wife? What wife? When did she go missing?
- Garcia: Almost 50 years ago.
- Reid: No record of her ever being found?
- Garcia: I got two words for you, my friend, Rear Window. That guy probably chopped that lady up into delicious, bite-little pieces. Think about it. She may never have left the premises.
- Reid: Garcia, I'm sitting in the dark alone. Thanks.
- Garcia: While you're waiting for a potential murderer to come home? Kind of dangerous. Kind of sexy.
- Greenaway: I really wanted to be a part of the team.
- Hotchner: You were.
- Greenaway: But when I needed the team, I was all alone. I was alone in the one place that I have the right to feel safe, and that's my home.
- Greenaway: [leaving Hotchner's office after turning in her credentials] You know, when I first joined the team, I couldn't figure out why you never, ever smile. Now I think I'm actually gonna miss that.
- Hotchner: [watches Greenaway as she exits the bullpen] I'm gonna miss you too.
North Mammon [2.7]
- Hotchner: What's all of that?
- JJ: New cases. I got to figure out where we're going to next.
- Hotchner: Hey, wait a minute. We're the profilers. I thought we made those decisions.
- JJ: Sure you do.
- Morgan: You don't believe these girls are really missing?
- Sgt. Sikes: It's just not the kind of thing that happens around here, you know?
- Gideon: You'd be surprised how often we hear that.
- Garcia: He who seeks the "Queen of All Knowledge" speak and be recognized.
- Reid: Garcia, we're sending you some cigarettes.
- Garcia: Why not a flesh-eating virus? It'll be faster and far less painful.
- Reid: We need some butts rushed to the lab for DNA analysis.
- Garcia: Reid... I love it when you say "butts."
- Jennifer Jareau: "The ultimate choice for a man, in as much as he is given to transcend himself, is to create or destroy, to love or to hate." Erich Fromm
Empty Planet [2.8]
- Gideon: Robespierre wrote, "Crime butchers innocence to secure a prize, and innocence struggles with all its might against the attempts of crime."
- Gideon: I'd like to attach a protective detail for you Dr. Cooke, until we find the guy.
- Dr. Emory Cooke: No, thank you.
- Gideon: Excuse me?
- Dr. Emory Cooke: Really now. Do I seem like the sort who would want to be followed around all day by a government goon squad? I don't think so.
- [Dr. Cooke leaves as Morgan enters]
- Morgan: Goon squad?
- Gideon: Ever talk to someone who wants to continually show you he's smarter than you?
- Morgan: [motions to Reid] Every day.
- Reid: I need to stop by a bookstore and get a copy of Empty Planet. I want to reread it before we talk to the author. I haven't read it since I was six.
- Morgan: Six? I was still riding my Big Wheel at six years old.
- Reid: Do you mind? It will only take 10 minutes.
- Gideon: To buy it or read it?
- Reid: Uh... both, actually.
- Morgan: Hey, Dollface, ready to work some magic for me?
- Garcia: Challenge me, you beautiful behavioral analyst.
- Reid: [referring to the bomber's phone call warning of an attack "where it all began"] So Seattle's "where it all began."
- Morgan: We just need to figure out what "it" is and, off the top of my head, I can think of grunge music and overpriced coffee.
The Last Word [2.9]
- Gideon: Elbert Hubbard once wrote, "If men could only know each other, they would neither idolize nor hate."
- Reid: When Mill Creek kills, the Hollow Man shoots another prostitute.
- Morgan: So, one doesn't want to be outdone by the other. Sounds like sibling rivalry to me.
- Hotchner: They've been killing independently of each other for a year now.
- Gideon: With each kill, they're learning something... from the other.
- Gideon: [to the Mill Creek Killer] If killing those women made you an artist, the things you did to them after they were dead, what does that make you? I mean, really, it doesn't seem very artistic, does it?
- Gideon: We want to draw the shooter out. The best way to do that is pretend he doesn't exist.
- Hotchner: Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Remember that all through history there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they seemed invincible. But in the end they always fall. Always."
Lessons Learned [2.10]
- Jind Allah: Is it your intention, Mr. Gideon, to become a man of faith and revert to Islam?
- Gideon: I am a man of faith. I have repented, I pray regularly, and I practice charity. I have never committed violence against you, so how is it that my faith would allow you to live and worship as you please, and yours would take my life and snuff it out?
- Gideon: Those people tonight... they were innocent. They never hurt you.
- Jind Allah: They hurt me by existing.
- Gideon: How can you ignore the fact that Mohammed preached passivity while he was at Mecca. "Do no violence."
- Jind Allah: His later message from Medina was perfectly clear. "When violence come upon you, you must fight back with violence."
- Jind Allah: What kind of name is Gideon?
- Gideon: American.
- Jind Allah: I forgot. In your culture, you put your country first. And your god last.
- Gideon: We receive comfort from our prayers.
- Jind Allah: We?
- Gideon: Human beings [pauses]... I say something wrong?
- Jind Allah: You placed us on the same level.
- Gideon: Aren't we?
- Jind Allah: Well, here, I am thought of as less than human.
- Gideon: And in your jihad, I am.
Sex, Birth, Death [2.11]
- Reid: T.S. Eliot wrote, "Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act, falls the shadow."
- Reid: How many people's lives did I risk in the future?
- Gideon: Profiles can be wrong.
- Reid: What if it's not? What if next time he kills somebody?
- Gideon: Then you catch him.
- Prentiss: [to Hotchner] I think politics makes people distrustful. I think it makes them hate themselves. I think it tears families apart, and damages people. So if there's nothing else, I would like to get back out on the street and find out who's killing these women. Sir.
- Reid: There's nothing in the juvenile offender records.
- Garcia: So you think like a high school kid.
- Reid: I was 12 and I hadn't been though puberty when I was in high school.
- Garcia: Okay, reset. I think like a high school student. You think like a profiler.
- Reid: T.S. Eliot wrote, "Between the desire and the spasm, between the potency and the existence, between the essence and the descent, falls the shadow. This is the way the world ends."
Profiler Profiled [2.12]
- Morgan: "All secrets are deep. All secrets become dark. That's in the nature of secrets." Writer Cory Doctorow
- Morgan: You trying to say something to me right now.
- Gideon: Only if you're hiding something. You need to trust us. Trust us enough to tell us about it.
- Morgan: Gideon. It's not about trust. It's about having a little privacy. I got the right to keep something to myself. Look at us, man, we practically live together already.
- Carl Buford: Are you saying I had nothing to do with making you who you are?
- Morgan: No, Carl, actually I'm saying that you had everything to do with making me who I am. Because of you I'm somebody who gets to spend the rest of his life making sure that guys like you go down.
- JJ: [discussing evidence against Morgan] This is all just coincidence.
- Det. Gordinski: Heck of a lot of coincidences.
- Prentiss: It's purely circumstantial.
- Det. Gordinski: So is a fingerprint.
- Hotchner: We can't have people on this team who have secrets.
- Gideon: Hotch, we all have secrets. Would you want us profiling you?
No Way Out [2.13]
- Reid: To get away with murder, you simply don't tell anyone.
- Prentiss: The only people he told were the people he killed. And then he took from them what he needed: cash, credit cards...
- Reid: I'm going to call Garcia and see if anything Catherine Hale owned was used after her death. [dials phone]
- Prentiss: [to herself] And then he moved on to his next victim.
- Gideon: [opening a bag with a head inside] Who is this?
- Frank: I believe the correct question is "Who was this?"
- Mark: You are a crazy son of a bitch.
- Frank: We are all sons of bitches.
- Frank: [to Morgan] Beauty can cover a multitude of sins, but underneath we all look exactly the same.
- Frank: Do you think me insane?
- Gideon: Do not play me. You know exactly what you are. A psychopathic sexual sadist. You get off on the brutal torture of others.
- Morgan: And you knew the moment we arrived in this town, you had no way out.
- Frank: My hope is that one day you'll feel the way I do too.
- Gideon: If I ever find myself feeling the way you do, I'll kill myself.
- Frank: Call me first. I'd love to pick your brains.
The Big Game [2.14]
- Gideon: Condemned murderer Perry Smith said of his victims, the Clutter family, "I didn't have anything against them, and they never did anything wrong to me, the way other people have all my life. Maybe they're just the ones who have to pay for it."
- Reid: Actually, I, ah, really have to, um, you know, go.
- JJ: You do?
- Reid: For like 30 minutes.
- JJ: Why didn't you say something in the car?
- Reid: [to Tobias] Do you mind?
- Tobias: My father doesn't like it.
- Reid: Your father? You're like... 30.
- Tobias: At what age should one start disrespecting the wishes of their parents?
- Reid: Referring to oneself in the third person is not uncommon for an unsub. Ted Bundy gave thoroughly detailed accounts of his murders, but he never admitted doing them, he'd just say, "the killer."
- Prentiss: [watching Morgan dance between two women] Hey, Morgan, be careful. The one in the back could take your wallet!
- Morgan: That's all right. I'll be a broke, happy man!
- Reid: You seem unhappy.
- Gideon: I am unhappy. I'm tired of people using religion... to justify the terrible things they do.
- Hotchner: "There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins." Ecclesiastes 7:20
- Tobias: This will be over quickly if you just confess your sins.
- Reid: I'm not a sinner.
- Tobias: We're all sinners.
- Hotchner: [desperately] We're not getting any closer.
- Gideon: Reid's brilliant. He'll figure out a way to survive.
- Hotchner: You know I always take advantage of Reid for his brain, but I never actually teach him how to deal with things emotionally.
- Gideon: You lead by example.
- Hotchner: What kind of example is that?
- Gideon: [solemnly] He'll make it.
- Hotchner: All right, everybody, right now, what's my worst quality? [silence from team] Okay, I'll start. I have no sense of humor...
- JJ: You're a bully.
- Hotchner: I'm a bully.
- Morgan: You can be a drill sergeant sometimes.
- Prentiss: You don't trust women as much as men.
- Hotchner: Okay, good. I'm all these things, but none of you said that I ever put myself above the team because I don't. Ever.
- JJ: Any more sign of Reid?
- Garcia: He just posted the last murder online. It had over 17,000 hits in the first 20 minutes.
- JJ: I wanna see it.
- Garcia: No, you don't.
- JJ: Don't tell me what I want and don't want. [Garcia looks at her in surprise] If I can't watch this, I have no business being in the field.
- Garcia: JJ, it's not a competition.
- JJ: I need to see it.
- Garcia: If you stop being affected by things you [pauses for a moment] lose parts of yourself, you know?
Fear and Loathing [2.16]
- Morgan: It's called empathy. And it's a good thing.
- Reid: It's not. It's got me all messed up. I don't know how to focus, I can't do my job as well. So, what do I do?
- Morgan: You use it. Let it make you a better profiler... a better person.
- Reid: A better person.
- Hotchner: What the hell happened?
- Jeff: I didn't know he was a cop. I saw this black car parked in front of our house and a black guy with a gun sneaking around the yard.
- Hotchner: So you shot him?
- Jeff: I was scared. I've got a family.
- Officer Cale: So did Detective Ware.
- Det. Ware: You ever wish it didn't matter?
- Morgan: It?
- Det. Ware: Color.
- Morgan: Judge me by the content of my character.
- Reid: “The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero
- Reid: [at the homeless shelter] Do you keep a list of everyone who comes through here?
- Angie: We have a sign-in sheet but we don't force anyone to sign if they don't want to. Some who do don't even use their real names. Elvis eats here a lot.
- Prentiss: What is the matter with you?
- Reid: What do you mean, what's the matter with me?
- Prentiss: I have never seen you act like this.
- Reid: Oh, really? Oh, in the months that you've known me you've never seen me act this way? Hey, no offense, Emily, but you don't really know what you're talking about, do you?
- Garcia: Are you lonely in the Lone Star State? And are you wearing chaps?
- Morgan: Only in your dreams, Garcia.
- Garcia: Oh, not necessarily. I have Photoshop.
- Morgan: Hey, hey, behave. Focus your little twisted mind for me, okay?
- Morgan: And, Garcia? I'd better not ever find any Photoshop pictures of me.
- Garcia: Oh, trust me, my vision, you will never find them.
- Gideon: The first recorded war was 2700 BC. Probably earlier wars, but writing hadn't been invented yet.
- Hotchner: Almost five thousand years of killing each other.
- Gideon: One thing human beings have been consistently good at.
- Hotchner: "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." Thomas Paine
- Gideon: Robert Kennedy once said, "Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live."
- Morgan: Are you gonna tell me why you missed that flight to Galveston?
- Reid: I already told you, there was no cell reception.
- Morgan: Right.
- Reid: What?
- Morgan: Reid, any time you want to come up with a better answer, I'm standing right here.
- Prentiss: How could their friends not see anything?
- Morgan: It's like when the lion preys upon antelope.
- Prentiss: You lost me.
- Morgan: Well, that's because you, Emily Prentiss, have never been one of the antelope.
- Prentiss: Oh, scratch that. You totally lost me.
- Morgan: Okay, check this out. The antelope travel in packs; so the lion just sits and waits. Waits for just one of the antelope to break away from its herd. So when he's alone, vulnerable, and completely unprotected, that's when lioness strikes, that's when she makes her move.
- Prentiss: Wait a minute, her move?
- Morgan: Prentiss, there's only one thing that's gonna make a straight man leave his friends on guys' night out, and it'll make him leave every time.
- Gideon: [to Reid] I have been playing at this job, in one way or another, for almost 30 years. I've felt lost; I've felt great. I have felt scared... sick... insane. I don't know... I guess the day this job stops gnawing at your soul and your hands, your hands stop feeling cold, maybe that's the time to leave.
Ashes to Dust [2.19]
- Garcia: Brace yourselves. I'm going to teach you the meaning of L.U.S.T.
- Gideon: Did she say lust?
- Garcia: I cross-referenced every known fact on the victims and I just found a website that links both Dennis Cutler and Mathew Jarvis' companies on a list of businesses guilty of L.U.S.T.
- Hotchner: I'm missing something.
- Garcia: Leaking Underground Storage Tanks.
- Gideon: When he arrives, bring the fake bodies right past us nice and slow. I want him to get a good look.
- Lt. Vega: Remind me never to play poker with you guys.
- Gideon: For them, fire's just a substitute for sexual release.
- Garcia: Oh, great. So if these guys don't get laid, they start fires?
- Gideon: Or in this case, burn entire families to death.
- Prentiss: [to Reid] No statistic?
- Gideon: No, they don't have statistics on this guy; one of a kind.
- Garcia: Thank God.
- Reid: Statistically, 94% of all serial arsonists are male, 75% are white and few, if any, are ever caught.
- Prentiss: Few? You don't have a percentage?
- Reid: 16%. Those 16% set 30 plus fires before they're ever apprehended. I'm trying to be more conversational.
- Prentiss: Oh. It's not working.
- Hotchner: I catch killers, I save lives, I'm a hero until my key hits my front door and then I'm just the father and the husband who is never there.
- Gideon: Yeah, I got that one.
- Hotchner: Here's the thing. When I'm home, I'm in this silent panic. Because I know that I have to be as good as I can as fast as I can. Because any minute, the phone is going to ring and my time is up. And that panic is exactly what I saw in Abby.
Honor Among Thieves [2.20]
- Prentiss: An old Russian proverb reminds us, "There can be no good without evil."
- Gideon: Natalya was a part of this.
- Morgan: How did I not see this coming?
- Reid: How could any of us, man? She sought us out. We were so blinded by the fact that she trusted us, we never considered not trusting her.
- Arseny Lysowsky: [to Gideon and Reid] Would you like something to eat? This borscht is exquisite. It is my mother's old country recipe.
- Reid: Didn't you forsake all your relatives when you swore the Thieves' Code?
- Arseny Lysowsky: I didn't forsake her recipes.
- Ambassador Elizabeth Prentiss: How are you enjoying your assignment to the BAU?
- Prentiss: Well, enjoying is an odd description.
- Ambassador Elizabeth Prentiss: Is it?
- Prentiss: We deal with some pretty horrible things.
- Ambassador Elizabeth Prentiss: I thought that was where you wanted to be.
- Prentiss: It is, definitely.
- Ambassador Elizabeth Prentiss: Then you do enjoy it.
- Prentiss: "Happy families are all alike. Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Leo Tolstoy
Open Season [2.21]
- Hotchner: Broken nose, and bark's embedded in his face; looks like he ran into a tree.
- Morgan: Now how do you miss a huge tree?
- Hotchner: Too busy looking behind you.
- Hotchner: What have you got?
- Garcia: Uh, there are three stores outside Spokane that sell the exact type of arrows you are looking for. And, before you ask, of course, I've already sent the addresses to your handheld.
- Hotchner: Garcia? You're the man.
- Garcia: Oh, no. You're the man.
- Prentiss: [acting very excited] Ladies, this is Brad - a real FBI agent!
- Garcia: Really?
- Prentiss: Really.
- JJ: No way!
- Garcia: That's exciting! What's it like at Quan-ti-co?
- JJ: Must be really tough keeping all those secrets.
- Brad: Ya know, it's a skill, like anything else. Carpenters are good at building stuff, measuring. FBI's good at keeping secrets and kicking criminal ass.
- Gideon: Most hunters put animals out of their misery. The men we're looking for - they don't show any mercy.
- Morgan: These guys take pleasure in watching their casualties die a slow death.
- Prentiss: British historian James Anthony Froude once said, "Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself."
- Hotchner: "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity, nothing exceeds the criticisms made of the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed." Herman Melville
- Prentiss: [speaking to Hotch and Reid] How'd you guys do?
- Hotchner: Well, Reid got propositioned by every prostitute we talked to, but we didn't find anybody who thinks they'd seen the unsub.
- Morgan: [to Mona, a homeless woman] Be careful, you hear me? This world needs all of its beautiful ladies, and that means you, too, Mona.
- [Mona smiles and walks away]
- Prentiss: You're a good guy.
- Morgan: Ya think?
- Prentiss: Yeah, you make the people around you feel good.
- Hotchner: What if they were cheerleaders?
- Capt. Wright: Excuse me?
- Hotchner: Or teachers, or mothers? How did you put it, "Can bums even be missing?" Well, sir, they can. They can be hurt, they can be scared, and they can be killed.
- Morgan: What was it the Yorkshire Ripper said about his victims?
- Reid: The women I killed were filth. Bastard prostitutes that were littering the streets; I was just cleaning up the place a bit.
- Morgan: [about the unsub] He's a house cleaner.
- Reid: Mission-based killer who believes his murders are helping society.
No Way Out II: The Evilution of Frank [2.23]
- Gideon: "I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, my enemies for their good intellects." Oscar Wilde
- Erin Strauss: My position is not in question here. As your superior, I am questioning your ability to lead your team.
- Hotchner: My team? Let me tell you about my team. Agent Morgan fought to protect his identity from the very people who could save him. Why? Because trust has to be earned, and there are very few people he truly trusts. Reid's intellect is a shield which protects him from his emotions and, at the moment, his shield is under repair. Prentiss overcompensates because she doesn't yet feel that she's a part of the team. She needn't worry. Every day, Agent Jareau fields dozens of requests for our team and every night, she goes home hoping she's made the right choices. Garcia fills her office with figurines and color to remind herself to smile as the horror fills her screens. And Agent Gideon in many ways is damned by his profound knowledge of others. Which is why he shares so little of himself yet he pours his heart into every case we handle. I stand by my actions and by my team. If you think that you can find a better person for the job, good luck.
- Garcia: [talking to herself while waiting in her car for Gideon] Gorgeous tech kitten found in lonely, dark parking lot, throat slashed ear-to-ear. Horrific. Tragic. With the very files of one of the most prolific serial killers ever. Tonight he remains at large, the blood of Quantico's finest…
- Gideon: I'm coming in.
- Hotchner: No, do that and this investigation moves inside an interrogation room and by the time the cops catch up we're going to be looking at more dead bodies. He's going to change who he goes after, he has to. We know who Frank is, we don't know the why - you help us find out the why and we'll catch him.
- Erin Strauss: [to Prentiss] I put you in the BAU. I knew how badly you wanted it. Everyone did. You were never exactly shy about letting us know. But there were those who didn't think assigning you to the BAU was a good idea. They thought you were too reckless... I believed in you, however. It's time to pay back the faith I had. Your team is in trouble. They've lost sight of the big picture. I believe they are reckless and, at times, out of control. It's time for Agent Hotchner's career to come to an end. And if you want to stay in the BAU, Agent Prentiss, you're going to help me make that happen.
- Jason Gideon: [writing the first lines of his letter in voice over] I knew it would be you who came to the cabin to check on me. You must be frightened – I apologize for that. I never meant to cause you any pain. I also never envisioned writing this letter. I've searched for a satisfactory explanation for what I'm doing. All I've come up with is...a profiler needs to have solid footing and I don't think I do anymore.
- Erin Strauss: Give me your badge.
- Hotchner: Ma'am?
- Erin Strauss: You're suspended for two weeks without pay, pending an investigation of your conduct. And Agent Hotchner, if it was solely up to me, you would never get these credentials back.
- Jason Gideon: [writing the last lines of his letter in voice over] That was the last domino. The death of that girl. Hotch being suspended over something that was my fault. I said at the begining of the letter that I knew it would be you to come up here. I'm so sorry the explanation couldn't be better and I am so sorry that it doesn't make more sense. But I have already told you. I just don't understand any of it anymore. [puts the pen down and holds his gun in his hands] I'm sorry.
In Name and Blood [3.2]
- Aaron Hotchner: George Washington said, "Let your heart feel for the affliction and distress of everyone."
- Rose: Where you headed?
- Gideon: Nowhere in particular.
- Rose: How will you know when you get there?
- Gideon: That's a good question... [reads her nametag] Rose. That's a very good question.
Scared to Death [3.3]
- Aaron Hotchner: The Taoist philosopher Lao Tzu once wrote, "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still."
- Aaron Hotchner: Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."
Children of the Dark [3.4]
- Emily Prentiss: "In the city, crime is taken as emblematic of class and race. In the suburbs, though, it's intimate and psychological; resistant to generalization; a mystery of the individual soul." Barbara Ehrenreich
Seven Seconds [3.5]
- Aaron Hotchner: Dostoyevsky once said, "Nothing is easier than denouncing the evildoer. Nothing more difficult than understanding him."
- Aaron Hotchner: G.K. Chesterton wrote, "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed."
About Face [3.6]
- Aaron Hotchner: Erasmus wrote, "What else is the whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and plays each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?"
- David Rossi: "An earthly kingdom cannot exist without inequality of persons. Some must be free, some serfs, some rulers, some subjects." Martin Luther
- Derek Morgan: “Fantasy abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters." Francisco Goya
- Derek Morgan: 16th century English novelist Thomas Deloney wrote, "God sends meat and the Devil sends cooks."
- Penelope Garcia: William Shakespeare wrote, "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
True Night [3.10]
- Spencer Reid: "Superman is, after all, an alien life form. He is simply the acceptable face of invading realities." Author Clive Barker
- Garcia: Hey, do you know who Frank Miller is?
- Morgan: Frank Miller. Um... it sounds familiar. Unsub?
- Garcia: No. Graphic novelist. 300? Sin City?
- Morgan: Oh. Right, right, right. Cool movies.
- Garcia: Anyway, he said something once and it makes me think of you. "The noir hero is a knight in blood-caked armor. He's dirty, and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time."
- Aaron Hotchner: The American poet Anne Sexton once wrote "It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was."
- Jennifer Jareau: Wordsworth wrote, "A simple child, that lightly draws its breath, and feels its life in every limb, what should it know of death?"
3rd Life [3.12]
- Aaron Hotchner: "No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies." Daisy Bates
- Aaron Hotchner: "It is a wise father who knows his own child." William Shakespeare
- David Rossi: "I know indeed what evil I intend to do, but stronger than all my afterthoughts is my fury; fury that brings upon mortals the greatest evils." Euripides
- David Rossi: "For we pay a price for everything we get or take in this world, and, although ambitions are well worth having, they are not to be cheaply won." Lucy Maud Montgomery
- David Rossi: "Within the core of each of us is the child we once were. This child constitutes the foundation of what we have become, who we are, and what we will be." Neuroscientist Dr. R. Joseph
- Aaron Hotchner: "There is no formula for success, except perhaps an unconditional acceptance of life and what it brings." Arthur Rubinstein
A Higher Power [3.15]
- David Rossi: "There is no refuge from confession but suicide, and suicide is confession." Daniel Webster
- Emily Prentiss: "The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love, and to be greater than our suffering." Ben Okri
Elephant's Memory [3.16]
- Spencer Reid: "A sad soul can kill you quicker, far quicker, than a germ." John Steinbeck
- Spencer Reid: "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." Tom Stoppard
In Heat [3.17]
- Jennifer Jareau: "There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses." George Bernard Shaw
- Jennifer Jareau: "If we knew each other's secrets, what comforts we should find." John Churton Collins
The Crossing [3.18]
- Emily Prentiss: Author Christian Nestell Bovee once wrote, "No man is happy without a delusion of some kind. Delusions are as necessary to our happiness as realities."
- Jennifer Jareau: Susan B. Anthony said, "A woman must not depend on the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Tabula Rasa [3.19]
- Aaron Hotchner: "All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." Anatole France
- Aaron Hotchner: Voltaire said, "The man visited by ecstasies and visions, who takes dreams for realities, is an enthusiast. The man who supports his madness with murder is a fanatic."
- Aaron Hotchner: "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." Ernest Hemingway
- Detective Brustin: Eight innocent people were killed, two agents blown up, not to mention Emily's suicide-by-cop. Is that not enough?
- Rossi: [gesturing towards a photograph of the Twin Towers] That was memorable. This isn't.
The Angel Maker [4.2]
- Aaron Hotchner: "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever. The goal is to create something that will." Chuck Palahniuk
- Aaron Hotchner: Wendell Berry said, "The past is our definition. We may strive with good reason to escape it, or to escape what is bad in it, but we will escape it only by adding something better to it."
Minimal Loss [4.3]
- Spencer Reid: "To follow by faith alone is to follow blindly." Benjamin Franklin
- Emily Prentiss: "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." Ayn Rand
- Aaron Hotchner: Thomas Fuller wrote, "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
- Aaron Hotchner: Roman poet Phaedrus wrote, "Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many. The intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Catching Out [4.5]
- Emily Prentiss: "Plenty sits still; hunger is a wanderer." Zulu proverb
- Emily Prentiss: "Beyond the East the sunrise, beyond the West the sea, and the East and West, the wander-thirst that will not let me be." Gerald Gould
The Instincts [4.6]
- Aaron Hotchner: Amos Bronson Alcott said, "Who speaks to the instincts speaks to the deepest in mankind and finds the readiest response."
- Spencer Reid: Bob Dylan once said, "I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay."
- Spencer Reid: "What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father." Friedrich Nietzsche
- Spencer Reid: "There is no refuge from memory and remorse in this world. The spirits of our foolish deeds haunt us, with or without repentance." Gilbert Parker
- David Rossi: "Let us consider that we are all insane. It will explain us to each other. It will unriddle many riddles." Mark Twain
- David Rossi: "Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." Martin Luther King, Jr.
52 Pickup [4.9]
- Emily Prentiss: Author Harlan Ellison wrote, "The minute people fall in love, they become liars."
- David Rossi: P. J. O'Rourke wrote, "Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely."
Brothers in Arms [4.10]
- Derek Morgan: "We are all brothers under the skin, and I, for one, would be willing to skin humanity to prove it." Ayn Rand
- Derek Morgan: "For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare
- Aaron Hotchner: "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H.L. Mencken
- David Rossi: "There's no tragedy in life like the death of a child. Things never get back to the way they were." President Dwight Eisenhower
Soul Mates [4.12]
- Spencer Reid: "No mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore." Sigmund Freud
- Derek Morgan: British historian C. Northcote Parkinson said, "Delay is the deadliest form of denial."
- Emily Prentiss: Winston Churchill said, "There is no doubt that it is around the family and the home that all the greatest virtues of human society are created, strengthened and maintained."
- Aaron Hotchner: Mario Puzo wrote, "The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other."
Cold Comfort [4.14]
- Jennifer Jareau: "... and so all the night tide, I lie down by the side, of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride. In the sepulcher there by the sea, in her tomb by the sounding sea." Edgar Allan Poe
- David Rossi: "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." Stuart Chase
Zoe's Reprise [4.15]
- David Rossi: "I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn." Albert Einstein
- David Rossi: Austrian novelist Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach wrote, "In youth we learn; in age we understand."
Pleasure Is My Business [4.16]
- Aaron Hotchner: "The prostitute is not, as feminists claim, the victim of men, but rather their conqueror, an outlaw who controls the sexual channels between nature and culture." Camille Paglia
- Emily Prentiss: Leonardo da Vinci said, "He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done."
- Aaron Hotchner: "Fate is not satisfied with inflicting one calamity." Roman author Publilius Syrus
- Aaron Hotchner: "Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny." John Hobbes
House on Fire [4.19]
- Aaron Hotchner: Tennessee Williams said, "We all live in a house on fire. No fire department to call, no way out."
- Aaron Hotchner: "I have loved to the point of madness; that which is called madness, that which to me, is the only sensible way to love." Françoise Sagan
- Spencer Reid: "Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always gotten there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett
- Spencer Reid: Stephen King wrote, "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win."
A Shade of Gray [4.21]
- David Rossi: Dr. Burton Grebin once said, "To lose a child is to lose a piece of yourself."
- David Rossi: André Maurois wrote, "Without a family, man, alone in the world, trembles with the cold."
The Big Wheel [4.22]
- Aaron Hotchner: "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." Francis Bacon
- Derek Morgan: "No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris
- Aaron Hotchner: "I'm not sure about automobiles. With all their speed forward, they may be a step backward in civilization." Booth Tarkington
- Jennifer Jareau: "The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still, small voice of conscience." Mahatma Gandhi
- Spencer Reid: "It will become fine dust over all the land of Egypt and it will become boils breaking out with sores on man and beast through all the land of Egypt." Exodus 9:9
- Spencer Reid: "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller
To Hell and Back (Part 1) [4.25]
- Aaron Hotchner: Flannery O'Connor said, "If there were no hell, we would be like the animals. No hell, no dignity."
To Hell and Back (Part 2) [4.26]
- Aaron Hotchner: Sometimes there are no words, no clever quotes to neatly sum up what's happened that day. Sometimes you do everything right, everything exactly right, and still you feel like you failed. Did it need to end that way? Could something have been done to prevent the tragedy in the first place? Eighty-nine murders at the pig farm; the deaths of Lucas and Mason Turner make ninety-one lives snuffed out. Kelly Shane will go home and try to recover, to reconnect with her family, but she'll never be a child again. William Hightower, who gave his leg for his country, gave the rest of himself to avenge his sister's murder. That makes ninety-three lives forever altered, not counting family and friends, in a small town in Sarnia, Ontario, who thought monsters didn't exist, until they learnt they spent their lives with one. And what about my team? How many more times will they be able to look into the abyss? How many more times before they won't ever recover the pieces of themselves this job takes?
- [Hotchner pours himself a drink and freezes as a hooded figure appears behind him with a gun in hand. He turns around to see the barrel pointed at his chest.]
- Aaron Hotchner: Like I said, sometimes there are no words, no clever quotes to neatly sum up what's happened that day.
- George Foyet: You should have made a deal.
- Aaron Hotchner: Sometimes, the day just...
- [the screen cuts to black as a gunshot rings out]
- Aaron Hotchner: ...ends.
Nameless, Faceless [5.1]
- David Rossi: Karl Kraus said, "A weak man has doubts before a decision. A strong man has them afterwards."
- Aaron Hotchner: Emily Dickinson wrote, "One need not be a chamber to be haunted, one need not be a house. The brain has corridors surpassing material place."
- Aaron Hotchner: "There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man." Polybius
- David Rossi: "Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical." Blaise Pascal
- David Rossi: "I have always found that mercy bears richer fruit than strict justice." Abraham Lincoln
- Derek Morgan: Kingman Brewster, Jr. said, "There is no lasting hope in violence, only temporary relief from hopelessness."
- Derek Morgan: William Shakespeare wrote, "These violent delights have violent ends."
Cradle to Grave [5.5]
- Jennifer Jareau: Journalist William D. Tammeus wrote, "You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around and why his parents will always wave back."
The Eyes Have It [5.6]
- Derek Morgan: "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee." Matthew 5:29
- Derek Morgan: "Dwell in peace in the home of your own being and the messenger of death will not be able to touch you." Guru Nanak
The Performer [5.7]
- Spencer Reid: "In all the darkest pages of the malign supernatural, there is no more terrible tradition than that of the vampire - a pariah even among demons." Writer Montague Summers
- Emily Prentiss: Writer Cyril Connolly said, "Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self."
- Derek Morgan: "Man usually avoids attributing cleverness to somebody else unless it's an enemy." Albert Einstein
- Aaron Hotchner: "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
- Hotchner: [concluding his remarks in the investigation regarding Foyet's death] ... and there was nothing that I could do for her. She was already...
- Erin Strauss: [uncharacteristically chokes back tears] She died fairly quickly. One of the wounds severed her aorta, and they don't think that she... and they don't think she suffered much. Agent Hotchner, what do you think would have happened if George Foyet had gotten up from that floor? If you didn't kill him?
- Hotchner: I don't have to think. I know that he would have tried to kill my son too.
- Erin Strauss: That's good enough for me. [turns recorder off and faces the two investigators] Any questions? [sees them shake their heads "no" and faces Hotchner again] Agent Hotchner, I'm so sorry for your loss. And if you or your son need anything...
- Hotchner: Thank you.
- Aaron Hotchner: Poet Haniel Long said, "So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."
The Slave of Duty [5.10]
- Aaron Hotchner: W.S. Gilbert wrote, "It's love that makes the world go round." And if that's true, then the world spun a little faster with Haley in it. Haley was my best friend since we were in high school. We certainty had our struggles... but if there's one thing we agreed on unconditionally, it was our love and commitment to our son Jack. Haley's love for Jack was joyous and fierce. That fierceness is why she isn't here today.
- Aaron Hotchner: "Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Aaron Hotchner: "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Emily Prentiss: "Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit, because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure." Tacitus
- Emily Prentiss: Washington Irving said, "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness but of power. They are messengers of overwhelming grief and of unspeakable love."
The Uncanny Valley [5.12]
- Spencer Reid: Mildred Lisette Norman wrote, "Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness, possesses you. And in this materialistic age, a great many of us are possessed by our possessions."
- Spencer Reid: Isaac Asimov wrote, "In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
Risky Business [5.13]
- Jennifer Jareau: "Life is a game; play it. Life is too precious; do not destroy it." Mother Teresa
- Jennifer Jareau: "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn." C.S. Lewis
- David Rossi: "If I am what I have and if I lose what I have, who then am I?" German psychologist Erich Fromm
- Emily Prentiss: "Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive." Sir Walter Scott
Public Enemy [5.15]
- David Rossi: "Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy." F. Scott Fitzgerald
- David Rossi: William Shakespeare wrote, "When a father gives to his son, both laugh; when a son gives to his father, both cry."
Mosley Lane [5.16]
- Jennifer Jareau: Nietzsche wrote, "Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man."
- Jennifer Jareau: Emily Dickinson wrote, "Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all."
Solitary Man [5.17]
- Emily Prentiss: Tennessee Williams said, "We're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life."
- Derek Morgan: Cristopher Lasch said, "Family is a haven in a heartless world."
The Fight [5.18]
- Aaron Hotchner: Mother Teresa said, "I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."
Rite of Passage [5.19]
- Emily Prentiss: "A lion's work hours are only when he's hungry; once he's satisfied, the predator and prey live peacefully together." Chuck Jones
- Aaron Hotchner: "Many persons have the wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness...it is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose." Helen Keller
...A Thousand Words [5.20]
- David Rossi: "A sincere artist tries to create something which is, in itself, a living thing." Painter William Dobell
- Aaron Hotchner: Gandhi said, "I have seen children successfully surmount the effects of an evil inheritance. That is due to purity being an inherent attribute of the soul."
Exit Wounds [5.21]
- Penelope Garcia: "Nature, in her most dazzling aspects or stupendous parts, is but the background and theatre of the tragedy of man." John Morley
- Penelope Garcia: Ralph W. Sockman said, "Nothing is so strong as gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as real strength."
The Internet Is Forever [5.22]
- Aaron Hotchner: "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it's taken place." George Bernard Shaw
- David Rossi: "The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand - the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had." Eric Schmidt
Our Darkest Hour [5.23]
- Derek Morgan: Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote, "And out of the darkness came the hands that reached thro' nature, moulding men."
- Detective Matt Spicer: [to Morgan] Promise me she'll be okay, Morgan.
- Billy Flynn: Yeah. Promise him.
- [Morgan, beaten, shakes his head]
- Kristin Spicer: Do it! Promise him!
- Detective Matt Spicer: Promise me, Morgan.
- Derek Morgan: Okay. Okay! I promise.
- Detective Matt Spicer: [to Ellie] I love you, Ellie.
- [Billy Flynn looks at Morgan, smiles and shoots Spicer in the chest. Spicer falls to the floor, dead]
- Morgan: No! Spicer! [to Flynn, angrily] What is wrong with you?!
- [Billy Flynn smacks Morgan with the gun and grabs Ellie. She and Kristin scream indistinctly]
- Billy Flynn: [holding Ellie] I don't usually take much to kids... [smells Ellie's hair] But this one's just special.
- Morgan: We will find you, you sick son of a bitch!
- Billy Flynn: Is that another promise?
- [he leaves with Ellie as Kristin screams and the screen cuts to black]
The Longest Night [6.1]
- J.J.: [speaking to Billy Flynn over the radio system] You can do what you want to do. But for once, you could choose to use that power to do for Ellie what should have been done for you. You can choose letting her go. You can choose teaching her that, yes, there are monsters and it is okay to be afraid of them, but it is not okay to let them win. And it is not okay to be one.
- Billy Flynn: Do you believe in heaven?
- Morgan: [raises his gun and aims at Flynn] This is your last chance.
- Billy Flynn: Do you think I might see her there? Maybe get a second chance? [stands up] I'd really like that.
- Jennifer Jareau: "A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another. If these minds love one another, the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden. But if these minds get out of harmony with one another, it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden." The Buddha
- Jennifer Jareau: Jean Racine said, "A tragedy need not have blood and death; it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy."
- Jennifer Jareau: [quoting her exit interview in voiceover] I'm thankful for my years spent with this family, for everything we shared, every chance we had to grow. I'll take the best of them with me and lead by their example wherever I go. A friend told me to be honest with you, so here it goes. This isn't what I want, but I'll take the high road. Maybe it's because I look at everything as a lesson, or because I don't want to walk around angry...or maybe it's because I finally understand. There are things we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
Remembrance of Things Past [6.3]
- David Rossi: Marcel Proust wrote, "Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as they were."
- David Rossi: Mark Twain wrote, "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now, and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the latter. It is sad to go to pieces like this, but we all have to do it."
Compromising Positions [6.4]
- Penelope Garcia: Abraham Lincoln said, "Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Emily Prentiss: "We all wear masks, and the times comes when we cannot remove them without removing our own skin." Andre Berthiaume
Safe Haven [6.5]
- Derek Morgan: "All humanity is one undivided and indivisible family, and each one of us is responsible for the misdeeds of all the others. I cannot detach myself from the wickedest soul." Mahatma Gandhi
- Derek Morgan: "But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost
Devil's Night [6.6]
- Aaron Hotchner: Niccolo Machiavelli said, "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
- Aaron Hotchner: Thomas Kempis wrote, "Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of its trouble, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse for impossibility; for it thinks all things are lawful for itself, and all things are possible."
Middle Man [6.7]
- Aaron Hotchner: "The herd seek out the great, not for their sake but for their influence; and the great welcome them out of vanity or need." Napoleon Bonaparte
- Aaron Hotchner: "Without heroes, we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go." Bernard Malamud
Reflection of Desire [6.8]
- Penelope Garcia: "Fame will go by and, so long, I've had you, fame. If it goes by, I've always known it was fickle. So at least it's something I experience, but that's not where I live." Marilyn Monroe
- Penelope Garcia: I believe humanity was born from conflict. Maybe that's why in all of us lives a dark side. Some of us embrace it. Some have no choice. The rest of us fight it. In the end, it's as natural as the air we breathe. At some point, all of us are forced to face the truth. Ourselves.
Into the Woods [6.9]
- Derek Morgan: Ralph Ellison said, "I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me."
- Aaron Hotchner: Elise Cabot said, "Evil endures a moment's flush, and then leaves but a burnt out shell."
What Happens at Home [6.10]
- Aaron Hotchner: "When we were children, we used to think that when we grew up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability. To be alive is to be vulnerable." Writer Madeleine L'Engle
- David Rossi: "Children begin by loving their parents. As they grow older, they judge them. Sometimes they forgive them." Writer Oscar Wilde
25 to Life [6.11]
- Derek Morgan: "There is no such thing as part freedom." Nelson Mandela
- Derek Morgan: "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." Galileo
- Spencer Reid: "No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks." Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
- Spencer Reid: "The best and most beautiful things in life cannot be seen or touched, but just felt by the heart." Helen Keller
The Thirteenth Step [6.13]
- Emily Prentiss: Friedrich Nietzsche wrote, "What really raises one's indignation against suffering is not suffering intrinsically, but the senselessness of suffering."
- Emily Prentiss: William Glasser said, "What happened in the past that was painful has a great deal to do with what we are today."
Sense Memory [6.14]
- Derek Morgan: "Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." Paul Rodriguez
- Emily Prentiss: "Nothing revives the past so completely as a smell that was once associated with it." Novelist Vladimir Nabokov
Today I Do [6.15]
- David Rossi: "It's hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head." Sally Kempton
- Emily Prentiss: "There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- Spencer Reid: "Tomorrow, you promise yourself, will be different, yet, tomorrow is too often a repetition of today." Author James T. McCay
- Emily Prentiss: Come near my team and I will end you.
- Ian Doyle: I don't have a quarrel with them. How long that remains the case, depends entirely on you. They're innocent. You're not.
- Emily Prentiss: I was doing my job.
- Ian Doyle: I think you did a little more than that. You took the only thing that mattered to me. So I'm going to take the only thing that matters to you. Your life. [takes out a matchbook with a four leaf clover on the cover and puts it on the table between them] Honoré de Balzac once said, "Most people of action are inclined to fatalism and most people of thought believe in Providence." Tell me, Emily Prentiss, which do you think you're going to be?
- Emily Prentiss: Lao Tzu said, "When I let go of what I am I become what I might be."
- Emily Prentiss: Journalist Dorothy Dix wrote, "Confession is always weakness. The grave soul keeps its own secrets and takes its own punishment in silence."
- Emily Prentiss: "The secret to getting away with lying is believing with all your heart. That goes for lying to yourself even moreso than lying to another." Author Elizabeth Bear
- Jennifer Jareau: Psychoanalyst Walter Langer wrote, "People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it."
With Friends Like These... [6.19]
- Spencer Reid: Lizette Reese said, "The old faiths light their candles all about, but burly Truth comes by and puts them out."
- Derek Morgan: Siddharta Buddha said, "It is not his enemy or foe that lures him to evil ways."
Hanley Waters [6.20]
- Derek Morgan: Poet Antonio Porchia said, "Man, when he does not grieve, hardly exists."
The Stranger [6.21]
- Aaron Hotchner: Stephen King wrote, "Sometimes human places create inhuman monsters."
- Ashley Seaver: "Every journey into the past is complicated by delusions, false memories, false namings of real events." Adrienne Rich
Out of the Light [6.22]
- David Rossi: Agathon said, "Of this alone even God is deprived, the power of making things that are past never to have been."
- Aaron Hotchner: Doménico Cieri Estrada wrote, "Bring the past only if you're going to build from it."
Big Sea [6.23]
- David Rossi: "The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness." Joseph Conrad
- Derek Morgan: "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch, we are going back from whence we came." John F. Kennedy
Supply & Demand [6.24]
- Aaron Hotchner: "And yet to every bad, there's a worse." Thomas Hardy
- David Rossi: "What it lies in our power to do, it lies in our power not to do." Aristotle
It Takes a Village [7.1]
- Jennifer Jareau: Queen Elizabeth I said, "The past cannot be cured."
- Emily Prentiss: [to the members of the Senate Committee regarding the BAU's recent actions against Ian Doyle] The only people I know who could accomplish that mission just walked out. They do their jobs with integrity, and, most importantly, they honor their oath: "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."
- Spencer Reid: "If it is a miracle, any sort of evidence will answer. But if it is a fact, proof is necessary." Mark Twain
- David Rossi: Scott Adams wrote, "Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge."
Dorado Falls [7.3]
- Spencer Reid: "Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of their own minds." Franklin D. Roosevelt
- David Rossi: "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." Orson Welles
- Spencer Reid: "You may leave school, but it never leaves you." Andy Partridge
- Aaron Hotchner: "Pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding." Khalil Gibran
From Childhood's Hour [7.5]
- Spencer Reid: "From childhood's hour I have not been as others were, I have not seen as others saw." Edgar Allan Poe
- David Rossi: "All things truly wicked start from an innocence." Ernest Hemingway
- David Rossi: "To die is poignantly bitter, but the idea of having to die without having lived is unbearable." Erich Fromm
- David Rossi: "The timing of death, like the ending of a story, gives a changed meaning to what preceded it." Mary Catherine Bateson
There's No Place Like Home [7.7]
- Aaron Hotchner: "For the man sound of body and serene of mind, there is no such thing as bad weather. Every day has its beauty, and storms which whip the blood do but make it pulse more vigorously." George Gissing
- Jennifer Jareau: "Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are." Arthur Golden
- Penelope Garcia: "Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark." George Isles
- Penelope Garcia: We are each on our own journey. Each of us are on our very own adventure, encountering all kinds of challenges, and the choices we make on that adventure will shape us as we go. Those choices will stretch us and test us and push us to our limit, and our adventure will make us stronger than we ever knew we could be. There's a quote by my favorite author, Joseph Campbell, and it goes like this: "Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
Self-Fulfilling Prophecy [7.9]
- Derek Morgan: "Things do not change. We change." Henry David Thoreau
- Derek Morgan: "Beware, so long as you live, of judging men by their outward appearance." Jean de La Fontaine
The Bittersweet Science [7.10]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die." Joe Louis
- Aaron Hotchner: Hermann Hesse wrote, "Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go."
True Genius [7.11]
- Derek Morgan: "Three can keep a secret if two are dead." Benjamin Franklin
- Spencer Reid: "There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy." Dante
Unknown Subject [7.12]
- Aaron Hotchner: "We do not suffer from the shock of our trauma, but we make out of it just what suits our purposes." Alfred Adler
- Emily Prentiss: "All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on." Henry Ellis
Snake Eyes [7.13]
- Aaron Hotchner: A Chinese proverb says, "At the gambling table, there are no fathers or sons."
- David Rossi: George Augustus Sala said, "A gambler with a system must be, to a greater or lesser extent, insane."
Closing Time [7.14]
- Aaron Hotchner: "For trust not him that hath once broken faith." William Shakespeare
- Aaron Hotchner: "You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough." Frank Crane
A Thin Line [7.15]
- Derek Morgan: "Equality may, perhaps, be a right, but no power on Earth can ever turn it into a fact." Honoré de Balzac
- Emily Prentiss: "I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against." Malcolm X
A Family Affair [7.16]
- Derek Morgan: Eckhart Tolle said, "Where there is anger, there is always pain underneath."
- Jennifer Jareau: "Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity, they think of you." H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
I Love You, Tommy Brown [7.17]
- Derek Morgan: "It was once said that love is giving someone the ability to destroy you but trusting them not to."
- Derek Morgan: "For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth." Bo Bennett
- Emily Prentiss: "Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin." Barbara Kingsolver
- Derek Morgan: "Nothing fixes a thing so intently in the memory as the wish to forget it." Michel de Montaigne
Heathridge Manor [7.19]
- Emily Prentiss: "We are each our own devil, and we make this world our own hell." Oscar Wilde
- Aaron Hotchner: "All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allen Poe
The Company [7.20]
- Derek Morgan: "Worse than telling a lie is spending your whole life staying true to a lie." Robert Brault
Divining Rod [7.21]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires." William Blake
- Emily Prentiss: "It is only in love and murder that we still remain sincere." Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Profiling 101 [7.22]
- David Rossi: The philosopher Voltaire wrote, "To the living, we owe respect. But to the dead, we owe only the truth."
- David Rossi: Irish statesman and author Edmund Burke once wrote, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
- Jennifer Jareau: "Fear is met and destroyed with courage." James F. Bell
- Emily Prentiss: "I've always heard every ending is also a beginning. We just don't know it at the time. I'd like to believe that's true."
The Silencer [8.1]
- Aaron Hotchner: "As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do." Andrew Carnegie
- Aaron Hotchner: "A man is known by the silence he keeps." Oliver Herford
The Pact [8.2]
- David Rossi: Ralph Steadman wrote, "Evil is always devising more corrosive misery through man's restless need to exact revenge out of his hate."
- David Rossi: Paul Brown said, "If you win, say nothing. If you lose, say less."
Through the Looking Glass [8.3]
- Jennifer Jareau: The German author Goethe wrote, "Behavior is the mirror in which everyone shows their true image."
- Aaron Hotchner: "One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth doing is what we do for others." Lewis Carroll
God Complex [8.4]
- Spencer Reid: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote, "When a doctor goes wrong, he is the first of criminals. He has the nerve, and he has knowledge."
- Jennifer Jareau: "Body and soul cannot be separated for the purposes of treatment, for they are one and indivisible. Sick minds must be healed as well as sick bodies." Dr. Jeff Miller
The Good Earth [8.5]
- Spencer Reid: "I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allen Poe
- Alex Blake: Alfred Austin said, "Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."
The Apprenticeship [8.6]
- Derek Morgan: "Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher." Japanese proverb
- Spencer Reid: "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your own riches, but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli
The Fallen [8.7]
- David Rossi: "You never find yourself until you face the truth." Pearl Bailey
- David Rossi: "I am not concerned that you have fallen. I am concerned that you arise." Abraham Lincoln
The Wheels on the Bus [8.8]
- Aaron Hotchner: "I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life." Jean Giraudoux
- Derek Morgan: "It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." Frederick Douglass
Magnificent Light [8.9]
- Alex Blake: "A great deal of talent is lost to the world for the want of a little courage." Sydney Smith
- Derek Morgan: "The mystery of human existence lies not in just staying alive but in finding something to live for." Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Lesson [8.10]
- Spencer Reid: William Shakespeare once wrote, "Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind."
- Spencer Reid: Thomas Merton wrote, "Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone; we find it with another."
- Spencer Reid: "I have never yet heard of a murderer who was not afraid of a ghost." John Philpot Curran
- David Rossi: "The doctrine of the immortality of the soul has more threat than comfort." Mason Cooley
- Spencer Reid: "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." Lao Tzu
- Maeve Donovan: "Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone; we find it with another." Thomas Merton
Magnum Opus [8.13]
- Jennifer Jareau: "My blood alone remains. Take it, but do not make me suffer long." Marie Antoinette
- Spencer Reid: "Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over." Nicole Sobon
All That Remains [8.14]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Love never dies a natural death. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings." Anaïs Nin
- Aaron Hotchner: Alan Lightman said, "The tragedy of this world is that no one is happy, whether stuck in a time of pain or of joy."
- Alex Blake: "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are stronger at the broken places." Ernest Hemingway
- David Rossi: If you want to live your life according to a single message, go ahead. But try John 13:34 instead. "A new command I give you. Love one another. As I have loved you, you must love one another."
Carbon Copy [8.16]
- David Rossi: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Charles Caleb Colton
The Gathering [8.17]
- Spencer Reid: Barbara Grizzuti Harrison once said, "All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."
- Spencer Reid: Oscar Wilde said, "I can resist anything except temptation."
- David Rossi: "I am dead. Only vengeance can restore me." Terry Goodkind
- Derek Morgan: "For darkness restores what light cannot repair." Joseph Brodsky
Pay It Forward [8.19]
- David Rossi: "A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen." Edward de Bono
- Aaron Hotchner: "There is no present or future; only the past, happening over and over again now." Eugene O'Neill
- David Rossi: "Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?" Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Spencer Reid: J.R.R. Tolkien wrote, "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."
Nanny Dearest [8.21]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Children are educated by what the grown-up is, and not by his talk." Carl Jung
- Jennifer Jareau: "Alone, all alone. Nobody, but nobody can make it out here alone." Maya Angelou
- Alex Blake: "We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person." W. Somerset Maugham
Brothers Hotchner [8.23]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof." Richard Bach
- Aaron Hotchner: "Cruel is the strife of brothers." Aristotle
The Replicator [8.24]
- David Rossi: "Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise." H.G. Wells
- Aaron Hotchner: "The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life." Richard Bach
The Inspiration [9.01]
- David Rossi: "Who knows where inspiration comes from. Perhaps it arises from desperation. Perhaps it comes from the flukes of the universe, the kindness of the muses." Amy Tan
- Aaron Hotchner: Josh Billings once wrote, "There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared: twins."
The Inspired [9.02]
- Derek Morgan: "We are not only our brother's keeper; in countless large and small ways, we are our brother's maker." Bonaro Overstreet
- Aaron Hotchner: "They mess you up, your Mom and Dad. They may not mean to, but they do. They fill you with the faults they had. And add some extra, just for you." Philip Larkin
Final Shot [9.03]
- David Rossi: "Our most basic common link is is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." John F. Kennedy
To Bear Witness [9.04]
- Derek Morgan: "Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too was a gift." Mary Oliver
- Aaron Hotchner: "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside of us while we live." Norman Cousins
Route 66 [9.05]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Life is a dream. Realize it." Mother Teresa
In the Blood [9.06]
- Spencer Reid: "After all, what is man but a hoard of ghosts? Oaks, that were acorns, that were oaks." Walter de la Mare
- Penelope Garcia: Mitch Albom said, "Death ends a life, not a relationship."
- David Rossi: "If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins." Benjamin Franklin
- Spencer Reid: "The most important thing that parents can teach their children is how to get along without them." Frank Clark
The Return [9.08]
- Derek Morgan: Alfred Hitchcock said, "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it."
- Jennifer Jareau: "The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse." Edmund Burke
Strange Fruit [9.09]
- David Rossi: "The universe doesn't like secrets; it conspires to reveal the truth to lead you to it." Lisa Unger
The Caller [9.10]
- Spencer Reid: "Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil." Aristotle
- David Rossi: "We cannot despair of humanity, since we ourselves are human beings." Albert Einstein
- Alex Blake: "Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet." Vietnamese proverb
- Alex Blake: "Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." Helen Keller
The Black Queen [9.12]
- Derek Morgan: "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates." Thomas Szasz
- Penelope Garcia: "To invent your own life's meaning is not easy, but it's still allowed, and I think you'll be happier for the trouble." Bill Watterson
The Road Home [9.13]
- Derek Morgan: "Beware the fury of a patient man." John Dryden
- David Rossi: "Forgiveness does not change the past but it does enlarge the future." Paul Boese
- Emily Prentiss: "Why should we look to the past in order to prepare for the future? Because there is nowhere else to look." James Burke
- Jennifer Jareau: Nietzsche said, "When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks into you."
Mr. & Mrs. Anderson [9.15]
- Alex Blake: Author Jennifer Smith wrote, "Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story."
- Penelope Garcia: "Each relationship nurtures a strength or weakness within you." Mike Murdock
- Aaron Hotchner: "It's often said there is no footprint too small to leave an imprint on this world."
- Jennifer Jareau: "A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them." Victor Hugo
- Spencer Reid: "The secret of my influence has always been that it remained secret." Salvador Dali
- David Rossi: "Illusion is needed to disguise the emptiness within." Arthur Erickson
- Spencer Reid: "It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has." Hippocrates
- Derek Morgan: "Friendship multiplies the good of life and divides the evil." Baltasar Gracian
The Edge of Winter [9.19]
- Derek Morgan: "No one is ever a victim, although your conquerors would have you believe in your own victimhood. How else could they conquer you?" Barbara Marciniak
- Derek Morgan: "There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain, the mind must leave reality behind." Patrick Rothfuss
Blood Relations [9.20]
- Alex Blake: "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner
What Happens in Mecklinburg [9.21]
- Spencer Reid: Albert Einstein said, "In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same."
- Aaron Hotchner: A proverb states, "He that was born to be hanged will never be drowned."
- David Rossi: "A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." Jean de la Fontaine
Angels (Part 1) [9.23]
- David Rossi: "The name written on her forehead was a mystery: Babylon the Great, the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth." Revelation 17:5
Demons (Part 2) [9.24]
- Spencer Reid: "When truth is buried, it grows. It chokes. It gathers such an explosive force that on the day it bursts out, it blows up everything with it." Emile Zola
- Spencer Reid: "We must be willing to get rid of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." Joseph Campbell
- David Rossi: "I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind." Edgar Allen Poe
- Jennifer Jareau: "Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed." Irene Peter
- Derek Morgan: "The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you can see." Winston Churchill
- Penelope Garcia: "It doesn't take a lot of strength to hang on. It takes a lot of strength to let go." J.C. Watts
A Thousand Suns [10.03]
- Aaron Hotchner: "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst forth at once in the sky, that would be like the splendour of the Mighty One." From the Hindu Holy Book, the Bhagavad-Gita
- David Rossi: "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent." J. Robert Oppenheimer
The Itch [10.04]
- Aaron Hotchner: "What's the matter, you dissentious rogues, that rubbing the poor itch of your opinion make yourselves scabs?" William Shakespeare
- Jennifer Jareau: "Getting rid of a delusion makes us wiser than getting hold of the truth." Ludwig Borne
Boxed In [10.05]
- Aaron Hotchner: "There is nothing funny about Halloween. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world." Jean Baudrillard
- Jennifer Jareau: "Always kiss your children goodnight, even if they're already asleep." H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
If the Shoe Fits [10.06]
- Jennifer Jareau: "Deep vengeance is the daughter of deep silence." Vittorio Alfieri
- Spencer Reid: "The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking." Albert Einstein
- Derek Morgan: "Naivete in grownups is often charming; but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity." Eric Hoffer
- Derek Morgan: "For there is a fellowship more quiet even than solitude, and which, rightly understood, is solitude made perfect." Robert Louis Stevenson
The Boys of Sudworth Place [10.08]
- Spencer Reid: Wayne Dyer once said, "How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."
- Derek Morgan: "Our moral responsibility is not to stop the future, but to shape it; to channel our destiny in humane directions and to ease the trauma of transition." Alvin Toffler
- David Rossi: "Change is the law of life, and those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." John F. Kennedy
- David Rossi: "When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be." Julia Glass
Amelia Porter [10.10]
- Spencer Reid: "Remove my sin, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Psalm 51
- Kate Callahan: "The soul that has conceived one wickedness can nurse no good thereafter." Sophocles
The Forever People [10.11]
- Jennifer Jareau: "Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Kate Callahan: "Death is the only god that comes when you call." Roger Zelazny
- David Rossi: "As life runs on, the road grows strange with faces new. And near the end, the milestones into headstones change, 'neath every one a friend." James Russell Lowell
Nelson's Sparrow [10.13]
- David Rossi: "The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Aaron Hotchner: "When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him." Euripides
Hero Worship [10.14]
- Spencer Reid: "The most heroic word in all languages is revolution." Eugene V. Debs
- Spencer Reid: "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." Arthur Ashe
- Kate Callahan: William R. Alger once said, "Men often make up in wrath what they want in reason."
- Aaron Hotchner: "Nothing can drive one closer to his own insanity than a haunting memory refusing its own death." Darnella Ford
- Aaron Hotchner: "When the prison doors are opened, the real dragon will fly out." Ho Chi Minh
- David Rossi: Dwight D. Eisenhower once wrote, "If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom."
Breath Play [10.17]
- David Rossi: "There is hardly anyone whose sexual life, if it were broadcast, would not fill the world at large with surprise and horror." W. Somerset Maugham
- Kate Callahan: "Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression." Dr. Haim Ginott
Rock Creek Park [10.18]
- Spencer Reid: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple." Oscar Wilde
Beyond Borders [10.19]
- Aaron Hotchner: "No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness is always there first..." Terry Pratchett
- Jack Garrett: "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." Henry Ford
A Place at the Table [10.20]
- David Rossi: "When one has not had a good father, one must create one." Friedrich Nietzsche
- Aaron Hotchner: "We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future." George Bernard Shaw
Mr. Scratch [10.21]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Your memory is a monster; it summons with will of its own. You think you have a memory, but it has you." John Irving
- David Rossi: "It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." Buddha
- Spencer Reid: "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
The Hunt [10.23]
- Kate Callahan: "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." Albert Einstein
- Kate Callahan: "Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we're proud of. We are what we chose to be." Graham Brown
The Job [11.01]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." Aristotle
- Penelope Garcia: "Courage is grace under pressure." Ernest Hemingway
The Witness [11.02]
- Derek Morgan: "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped." Tony Robbins
- David Rossi: "The world is so unpredictable. Things happen suddenly, unexpectedly. We want to feel we are in control of our own existence. In some ways we are, in some ways we're not. We are ruled by the forces of chance and coincidence." Paul Auster
Til Death Do Us Part [11.03]
- Tara Lewis: "And think not that you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course." Khalil Gibran's The Prophet
- David Rossi: Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote, "I hold it true, whate'er befall; I feel it, when I sorrow most; 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."
- Spencer Reid: "All sins tend to be addictive, and the terminal point of addiction is damnation." W. H. Auden
The Night Watch [11.05]
- Spencer Reid: "Ghosts were created when the first man woke in the night." J.M. Barrie
- Tara Lewis: A Spanish proverb says, "More grows in the garden, than the gardener knows he has planted."
- Derek Morgan: "I swear, from the bottom of my heart, I want to be healed. I want to be like other men, not this outcast who nobody wants." E.M. Forster
- Tara Lewis: "To remain indifferent to the challenges we face is indefensible. If the goal is noble, whether or not it is realized within our lifetime is largely irrelevant. What we must do, therefore, is to strive and persevere and never give up." Dalai Lama XIV
Target Rich [11.07]
- Aaron Hotchner: "We are all sharks, circling, and waiting for traces of blood to appear in the water." Alan Clark
- David Rossi: "To a father, nothing is dearer than a daughter." Euripides
- Jennifer Jareau: "You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind." Mahatma Gandhi
- Tara Lewis: "Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death." Coco Chanel
Internal Affairs [11.09]
- Aaron Hotchner: "The enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality, that we have to contend." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Future Perfect [11.10]
- Aaron Hotchner: "The clock talked loud. I threw it away. It scared me when it talked." Tillie Olsen
- Aaron Hotchner: "The first condition of immortality is death." Stanislaw Lec
- Spencer Reid: "Just as the constant increase of entropy is the basic law of the universe, so it is the basic law of life to struggle against entropy." Vaclav Havel
- Spencer Reid: "To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society." Theodore Roosevelt
- Aaron Hotchner: "A man's very highest moment is, I have no doubt at all, when he kneels in the dust, and beats his breast, and tells all the sins of his life." Oscar Wilde
The Bond [11.13]
- Aaron Hotchner: "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss, at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness." Honoré de Balzac
- Tara Lewis: "The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation." James E. Faust
- David Rossi: "By the will art thou lost, by the will art thou found, by the will art thou free, captive, and bound." Angelus Silesius
- Aaron Hotchner: "Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice." Samuel Johnson
A Badge and a Gun [11.15]
- Derek Morgan: "The darkness always lies." Anthony Liccione
- Jennifer Jareau: "You see what power is – holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them." Amy Tan
- Morgan: I'm scared, Pop. I can't feel anything. Pop, I'm scared.
- Hank Morgan: Dying is easy. You know what's hard? Not being there for your son.
The Sandman [11.17]
- Derek Morgan: "Parents are the bones on which children sharpen their teeth." Peter Ustinov
- Derek Morgan: "Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through. Life's been good to me so far." Joe Walsh
A Beautiful Disaster [11.18]
- Derek Morgan: As a good friend of mine said, "Every ending is also a beginning. We just don't know it at the time." I'd like to believe she's right.
- Emily Prentiss: "Originality is nothing but judicious imitation." Voltaire
- Penelope Garcia: "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light." Helen Keller
Inner Beauty [11.20]
- David Rossi: "I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain." James Baldwin
- David Rossi: "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." St. Augustine
Devil's Backbone [11.21]
- Aaron Hotchner: "Don't you know that a midnight hour comes when everyone has to take off his mask?" Søren Kierkegaard
- Tara Lewis: "No man really knows about other human beings. The best he can do is to suppose that they are like himself." John Steinbeck
The Storm [11.22]
- Tara Lewis: "The sea is dangerous, and its storms terrible. But these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore." Ferdinand Magellan
- Aaron Hotchner: "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being." Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- Joe Mantegna - Senior Supervisory Special Agent David Rossi (2007-present)
- Shemar Moore - Supervisory Special Agent Derek Morgan (2005-2016)
- Matthew Gray Gubler - Supervisory Special Agent Dr. Spencer Reid (2005-present)
- A.J. Cook - Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer "JJ" Jareau (2005-present - 4 episodes in 2011)
- Kirsten Vangsness - Technical Analyst Penelope Garcia (2005-present)
- Thomas Gibson - Unit Chief, Supervisory Special Agent Aaron "Hotch" Hotchner (2005-present)
- Jennifer Love Hewitt - Supervisory Special Agent Kate Callahan (2014-2015)
- Aisha Tyler - Psychologist Dr Tara Lewis (2015-present)
- Jeanne Triplehorn - Supervisory Special Agent Alex Blake (2012-2014)
- Paget Brewster - Supervisory Special Agent Emily Prentiss (2006-2012)
- Rachel Nichols - FBI Cadet Ashley Seaver (2011)
- Mandy Patinkin - Senior Supervisory Special Agent Jason Gideon (2005-2007)
- Lola Glaudini - Supervisory Special Agent Elle Greenaway (2005-2006)