D.O.A. (1988 film)
D.O.A. is a 1988 very loose remake of the 1950 film noir of the same name, sharing only the same premise and otherwise having completely different characters and a completely different story. The film was directed by Annabel Jankel and Rocky Morton, the creators of Max Headroom. It starred Dennis Quaid, Meg Ryan and Charlotte Rampling and featured Timbuk 3 playing one of their songs in a bar scene.
- Sydney: This is life. Here, now. Take it or leave it.
- Dexter: [laughing] So this is what it's all about: some kid's damn homework!
- Dexter: So, who you going to kill for your next novel?
- Dexter: So, who are you going to kill for your next novel?
- Hal: All I need is this one break; after that, I can write anything I want. And you can bet that I won't sit on my laurels like you did!
- Dexter: Well, at least they *were* my laurels.
- Mrs. Fitzwaring: How did you know about Nick?
- Dexter: I'm psychic.
- Bernard: Good. Then you know what's going to happen to you.
- Sydney: So, who are you going to punch a confession out of next?
- Sydney: I just wanted to spend the night with you, not Eternity!
- Dexter: Is that the best your pretty, prosaic little mind can come up with?
- Ulmer: It's a pretty, prosaic little world, Mr. Cornell.
- Bernard: I don't think I like what you're inferring, Mr. Cornell...
- Dexter: [condescendingly] Implying. When I say it, that's implying. How you take it, that's inferring.
- Bernard: I see. Infer this.
- [punches Dexter]
- Hal: You had it... You had it... and you pissed it away... goddamn it, Dex... you had a talent... You had a talent that other people...
- Dexter: [pulls a gun on Hal] ...kill for?
- [last lines]
- Hal: Yeah, that's right kill for... isn't that what it's all about? Publish or Perish?
- Dexter: [as he fires his gun] Perish.
- [last lines]
- Dexter: Just somebody's homework, is all.
- Ulmer: Stopped by for a little Christmas cheer, did you?
- Dexter (testy): What if I did?
- Ulmer: Jealous husband pushes Nicky off the roof, so Angry Wife serves him a Christmas mickey. Next morning he wakes up with a tummyache, so he gets a little checkup and finds out he was murdered, so he drops by for one last bang-up marital spat.
- Someone poisoned Dexter Cornell. He's got to find out who. He's got to find out why. He's got to find out now. In 24 hours, he'll be Dead On Arrival.
- Dennis Quaid - Professor Dexter Cornell
- Meg Ryan - Sydney Fuller
- Daniel Stern - Hal Petersham
- Charlotte Rampling - Mrs. Fitzwaring
- Jane Kaczmarek - Gail Cornell
- Christopher Neame - Bernard
- Robin Johnson - Cookie Fitzwaring
- Robert Knepper - Nicholas Lang
- Jack Kehoe - Detective Brockton
- Jay Patterson - Graham Corey