Guru Granth Sahib
The Guru Granth Sahib is the Eternal living Guru to the Sikhs, the Holy scripture. The Guru Granth Sahib is the highest guide and authority in Sikh Faith.
Siri Guru Granth Sahib tr. Singh Sahib Sant Singh Khalsa. Arizona: Hand Made Books.[available online in PDF format]
- The Guru is the Fulfiller of the desires of the mind.
- SGGS, Ang 53
- No one knows the state of the Lord. The Yogis, the celibates, the austere penitents, and all sorts of clever people have failed. Pause. In an instant, He changes the beggar into a king, and the king into a beggar. He fills what is empty, and empties what is full. Such are His ways. He Himself spread out the expanse of His Maya, and He Himself beholds it. He assumes so many forms, and plays so many games, and yet He remains distinct and detached from it all. Incalculable, infinite, incomprehensible and immaculate, He has misled the whole world. So give up all your doubts; prays Nanak, O mortal, focus your consciousness on His Feet.
- SGGS, Ang 538
- I am a sacrifice to the True Name. Your rule shall never end. Your rule is eternal and unchanging; it shall never come to an end. He alone becomes Your servant, who contemplates You in peaceful ease. Enemies and pain shall never touch him, and sin shall never come close to him. I am forever a sacrifice to the One Lord, and Your Name
- SGGS, Ang 568
- When the Giver of peace grants His Grace, the mortal being meditates on the Lord, the Life of the Universe.
- SGGS, Ang 1260
Quotes from Guru Granth Sahib on various topics
- How life was created on Earth
- From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water. From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.
- First, there is life in the water, by which everything else is made green.
- On vastness of cosmos
- After an immense and tiring search the authors of Vedas concluded that there are hundreds of thousands netherworlds under nether worlds and skies above skies. The Semitic texts say there are eighteen thousand worlds, but their Creator is One. However, the cosmos is so vast that it is beyond the scope of counting/measurement (i.e. beyond human comprehension)one would run out of numbers if one were to undertake the counting. Nanak salutes the Great One, as It alone knows the vastness Its creation.
- There are countless worlds and nether regions; I cannot calculate their number.
- What was the moment or time or date or day or season or month when the cosmos was created? Had the authors of Hindu scriptures or Quran known it, they would have mentioned it. Neither did the yogi know the date or day or month or season. It is only the Creator, Who knows when the cosmos was created.
- In the Fear of God, the sun shines, and in the Fear of God, the moon reflects. They travel millions of miles, endlessly.
- On birth of Cosmos
- For immeasurable length of time there was darkness. Neither there was Earth or sky nor day or night nor moon or sun, except the One Entity (Reality) and Its Hukam(order of GOD). It was in a transcendent mode filling the void like fog fills space. The cosmos was brought into being according to the Hukam(order of GOD) without any visible support upholding the vast expanse.AGGS, M 1, p 1035.
- The cosmos sprang from a single act of Hukam(order of GOD) generating innumerable currents of creation. M 1, Jap 16, p 3.
- On birth
- From the union of the mother's egg and the father's sperm, the form of infinite beauty has been created. The blessings of light all come from You; You are the Creator Lord, pervading everywhere. ||4||
- On Death
- The body is dust; the wind speaks through it. Understand, O wise one, who has died.
- The wind merges into the wind. The light blends into the light. The dust becomes one with the dust. What support is there for the one who is lamenting? ||1|| Who has died? O, who has died?
- Says Nanak, the Guru has revealed God to me, and now I see that there is no such thing as birth or death. ||4||4||
- No one dies; no one comes or goes. ||4||10||
- On Nature and Environment
- You have made this Earth like a great dish of yours which the living beings get only once in their life. It is the great source of all the materials needed by mortals. But the mortal becomes unsatisfied, and begs for more; his fickle mind brings him disgrace.
- O Nanak, the True One is the Giver of all; He is revealed through His All-powerful Creative Nature. ||8||
- Binding together water and air, the Almighty infused the breath of life into the body, and made the lamps like the sun and the moon. The almighty has given us Earth to live and die on, but we have forgotten these blessings.
- On the cycles life goes through to reach Human form
- Many births (different evolutionary stages of life) created worm and insect. Many births created elephant, fish and deer. Many births created bird and snake. Many births created ox and horse, which are yoked. O human being, now is your time to meet the Lord of the universethe Creator, since it took a very log time for the human body to evolve through many evolutionary stages of life. Pause. The matter constituting the human body was recycled many times as rocks and mountains. Many births resulted in abortion (defective mutations resulting in death of the species). Many births produced plant life. It took innumerable births to produced human body. AGGS, M 5, p 176.
- On other planets and existence of life on other planets
- God’s worth (greatness) is beyond measure, nor it can be overestimated. You alone are the True Lord of mine and of other beings of countless worlds. AGGS, M 1, p 15.
- There are living beings in water, on land and in the cosmos. O Creator, You know their needs as You take care of them. AGGS, M 1, p 466.