Invincible (TV series)
Invincible is an American adult animated superhero streaming television series, based on the Image Comics series of the same name by Robert Kirkman, Cory Walker, and Ryan Ottley which premiered on Amazon Prime Video. The show follows 17-year-old Mark Grayson and his transformation into a superhero under the guidance of his father Omni-Man, the most powerful being on the planet. During his transformation, Mark finds himself struggling between his personal life and superhero duties, where he will be forced to prove that he can be the hero which his father is. The series stars Steven Yeun, Sandra Oh, and J. K. Simmons, as the Grayson family, while the rest of the cast serve as the recurring characters. In April 2021, Amazon renewed the series for a second and third season.
It's About Time
- [Mark and Nolan are playing catch while throwing a baseball around the world]
- Nolan Grayson: You seem tired.
- Mark Grayson: I'm fine. Just got... a lot on my mind, I guess.
- Nolan Grayson: Oh, yeah? So, what is it?
- Mark Grayson: You're just gonna keep prying if I'm evasive at all, so, um... I'm scared, Dad. What if I can't do this?
- Nolan Grayson: (hearing a whooshing) You hear it?
- Mark Grayson: I do.
- Nolan Grayson: Get ready. (Mark grabs the baseball) Were you nervous?
- Mark Grayson: A little.
- Nolan Grayson: But you caught it?
- Mark Grayson: I did.
- Nolan Grayson: Being a superhero is no different. This is the beginning of a long journey for you and me. Along the way, you're gonna need to do things you don't want to do, or might not think you can do. It's okay to be scared. It's natural to doubt yourself, but if you can push through that, and do what needs to be done, you'll do just fine. Do you think you can do that, Mark?
- Mark: Yeah. (throws the baseball around the world, hitting and wrecking the top of a mountain, and Nolan grabs the baseball)
- Nolan Grayson: Son... kids your age think they're invincible, and it holds them back, makes them careless. The thing is... you're different. You actually are... (hands Mark the burnt baseball) .. invincible.
- (feeling inspired, Mark smiles. Next scene, he is on Art Rosenbaum's lab)
- Mark Grayson: Got it.
- Art Rosenbaum: Okay, kid. Let's get to work.
- [next scene, Mark is in his new suit, and flies around the city until he sees an explosion on the distance]
- Invincible: Crap.
- [Invincible flies off for the situation, which involves Killcannon having a shootout against the police]
- Killcannon: You guys think you might have bitten off more than you can chew? [points at a building he zapped] That building has a hole in it, look! [the policemen continue shooting his armor, until Killcannon prepares to shoot again]
- Policeman: Shit! [avoids the shot, but is knocked unconscious]
- [just as Killcannon is about to fire again, Invincible emerges and punches through several walls]
- Invincible: [checking the rooms, which are clear from citizens] Whoa... All clear? [continues pouncing Killcannon, and defeats him] You might as well give up. I'm-- (title card is presented)
Here Goes Nothing
- [after a flight around the city, Atom Eve welcomes Invincible to the Team Teen's headquarters]
- Rex Splode: Oh, hey! It's the iceman.
- Atom Eve: Rex...
- Rex Splode: Couldn't have won that fight without you. Oh! Except we did.
- Dupli-Kate: They got old. And ran away.
- Rex Splode: Still counts.
- Robot: Welcome, Invincible. My name is Robot. Apologies for Rex Splode. He's...
- Rex Splode: Unbelievably awesome.
- Robot: Incorrigible.
- Atom Eve: And rude.
- Rex Splode: And bored of this.
- Dupli-Kates #1 and #2: (unison) I'm Dupli-Kate.
- Invincible: Invincible. Which one of you do I look at when we talk?
- Omni-Man: [confronting the Flaxans in their home-planet] You don't seem to understand. Earth isn't yours to conquer. [he then proceeds to savagely lay waste on the Flaxans' world]
Who You Calling Ugly?
- Omni-Man: [in a speech for the Guardians of the Globe's televised funeral] I've fought the unimaginable in defense of this world. I've battled alien tyrants, defeated nightmares from the deep. Gone toe to toe with ancient gods... but no matter what threat I faced, I knew I wasn't facing it alone. Darkwing. Aquarus. War Woman. Green Ghost. Red Rush. Martian Man. Immortal. The Guardians of the Globe. Today, we have lost titans, protectors, heroes, and we are left to wonder... who will save us now? I will, and so will others like me. New heroes answering the call. New champions ready to risk everything to keep this planet safe. All inspired by these great souls who came before us. You will have moments of doubt, of fear, of uncertainty, but in those moments, have faith... [lifts off] and look to the sky. [flies away]
- [next scene, the Graysons attend to the Guradians' private burial along with Eve, and the Guardians' loved ones]
- Mark Grayson: We seriously have to put everyone through this again?
- Samantha Eve Wilkins: The big one's for show, but the public can't know where the actual bodies are buried. Souvenir hunters.
- Mark Grayson Jesus.
- Nolan Grayson: I was never a Guardian of the Globe, but it was the Guardians who welcomed me when I first arrived on this planet. They were my mentors. My comrades. My friends. They knew the reality of this life. Martian Man was exiled from his own people. War Woman was from a different age. Darkwing... (chuckles ruefully) (clears throat) Well, Darkwing made his own kind of solitude. It was a rare, lucky few of us who found someone who understood our path, even rarer if they accepted it. I hope they will rest in peace, but at least they will rest together.
- (the coffins are buried in the holes, as Red Rush's widow Olga, still sobbing, tries to reach her husband's coffin, with Cecil and Ferguson trying to stop her)
- Olga: Get your hands off me! (screams in anguish as she falls off)
- Donald Ferguson: Olga, please, calm down.
- Olga: You wouldn't even let me see him. Josef is finally standing still, and I still can't see him!
- Debbie Grayson: I'd better...
- Mark Grayson: Yeah. (Debbie goes comfort Olga)
- Samantha Eve Wilkins: You okay?
- Mark Grayson: Me? I... I dunno. It just doesn't seem real. (noticing Olga) That could have been my mom, putting my dad in one of those holes, or me. If this could happen to the Guardians of the Globe, it means that none of us are... [title card is presented with sobber music]
Neil Armstrong, Eat Your Heart Out
- [Nolan confronts detective Darkblood in his office]
- Damien Darkblood: Wondered if you'd come.
- Nolan Grayson: You were in my house. You frightened my wife.
- Damien Darkblood: You murdered seven people.
- Nolan Grayson: Maybe it was you. Maybe you came to finish the job you started with the Guardians. You're the demon, after all.
- Damien Darkblood: Hmm... and demons know evil when they see it.
- Nolan Grayson: If you threaten my family again with your conspiracy theory bullshit...
- Damien Darkblood: You'll kill me?
- Nolan Grayson: I won't have to. Who do you think they're gonna believe? Me or you. [covers next to the door]
- Damien Darkblood: [exhales, growling] Won't give up, Nolan. Can't hide truth. Wife already suspects. How long until son does, too?
- Nolan Grayson: Go fuck yourself, Darkblood. [boosts out of the office]
That Actually Hurt
- Battle Beast: I was promised this world offered worthy opponents! But, oh, how you disappoint. Killing you is an act of mercy.
You Look Kinda Dead
- Cecil Stedman: You're the most powerful man on the planet, but even your kid won't listen to you.
We Need to Talk
- [after a brutal battle, Omni-Man savagely impales the Immortal's chest with a single punch, with the world watching in horror on live television. Immortal sticks his thumbs into Omni-Man's eyes in an attempt to blind him. In agony, Omni-Man eventually manages to kill the hero once more, tirefully and horrifically bisecting him and dropping his halved body]
- Invincible: [bewildered with the shocking scene] Dad?
- Omni-Man: [with bloodshot eyes, he addresses to his son] Mark... we need to talk.
Where I Really Came From
- [after a destructive battle across Chicago, Omni-Man has brutally beaten Invincible to near death, until he remembered Mark's childhood]
- Omni-Man: [angrily as Invincible lies bloodied in the ground] Why did you make me do this?! You're fighting so you can watch everyone around you die! Think, Mark! You'll outlast every fragile, insignificant being on this planet. You'll live to see this world crumble to dust and blow away! Everyone and everything you know will be gone!! What will you have after 500 years?!
- Invincible: [weakly and sobberly] You, Dad. I'd still have you. [Omni-Man remains silent, as his angry expression changes to a more remorseful one] Dad... [now repentant, Omni-Man flies away from Earth, tearfully]
- Allen the Alien: So... you're a Viltrumite? But you don't work for them? And your dad tried to take over the planet but then left? He just left? That's nuts, man.
- Invincible: Yeah. As far as we can tell, my dad is just gone.
- Allen the Alien: That is super weird for a Viltrumite. They don't just give up. They're relentless. They destroyed my world when my people rebelled against them. They blew up our planet rather than lose it.
- Invincible: Jesus... I'm sorry.
- Allen the Alien: Don't be. From the sounds of it, I'm the one who should be apologizing. If I'd checked my orders properly, I would've seen that Earth was flagged for Viltrumite takeover. I could have warned you.
- Invincible: I would have just gone to my dad and told him everything. Who knows what would have happened then?
- Allen the Alien: I can't imagine what you're going through. Literally. Like, I have no concept of it. With my home world gone, my people had to create breeding camps just to stop us from going extinct. I've never even met my father.
- Invincible: After the last few days, I'm jealous.
- Allen the Alien: The Coalition of Planets will want to hear about you. A power struggle's brewing in the farthest reaches of space.
- Invincible: What kind of power struggle?
- Allen the Alien: The Coalition is trying to unite enough worlds to stop the Viltrumite empire. The thing is... no one's even heard of a Viltrumite abandoning their post. It's insane. It just doesn't happen. This could be the advantage we've been looking for.
- Invincible: Sure. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
- Allen the Alien: I don't get why you're smiling?
- Invincible: Just thinking about everything I've been through. How huge it all feels. But the fact it's just a small part of something much larger makes it all seem more... manageable. I don't know. But it helps.
- Allen the Alien: Sorry to rain on your parade. That happens on Earth, right? Anyway, once they find out your father took off, the Viltrumites are gonna come for you. Trust me, when they set their sights on a planet, they don't give up without a fight.
- Invincible: I'll be ready.
- Allen the Alien: I hope so. What's the plan in the meantime?
- [montage of scenes of various villains to the tune of "Hate To Say I Told You So" by The Hives, and Cecil watching as Sinclair produces more Reanimen; cut back to Invincible and Allen]
- Invincible: Finish high school, I guess.
- Allen the Alien: Oh, all right. Good. Sounds good. [cut to black] What is high school?
- Steven Yeun as Mark Grayson / Invincible
- Sandra Oh as Debbie Grayson
- J. K. Simmons as Nolan Grayson / Omni-Man
- Gillian Jacobs as Samantha Eve Wilkins / Atom Eve
- Andrew Rannells as William Clockwell
- Walton Goggins as Cecil Stedman
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Donald Ferguson, Doc Seismic
- Zachary Quinto as Robot
- Ross Marquand as Rudolph "Rudy" Connors, the Immortal, Aquarus, Bi-Plane, Kursk
- Jason Mantzoukas as Rex Sloan / Rex Splode
- Malese Jow as Kate Cha / Dupli-Kate
- Grey Griffin as Amanda / Monster Girl, Shrinking Rae, Olga, Mrs. Wilkins
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Monster Girl, Mauler Twins
- Khary Payton as Markus Grimshaw / Black Sampson, Kyle
- Zazie Beetz as Amber Bennett
- Mark Hamill as Art Rosenbaum
- Clancy Brown as Damian Darkblood
- Seth Rogen as Allen the Alien
- Fred Tatasciore as Kill Cannon, Adam Wilkins
- Jon Hamm as Steve
- Max Burkholder as Matt
- Lauren Cohan as Holly / War Woman
- Sonequa Martin-Green as Alana / Green Ghost
- Chad Colemam as Martian Man
- Michael Cudlitz as Josef / Red Rush
- Lennie James as Darkwing
- Mae Whitman as Connie
- Reginald VelJohnson as Principal Winslow
- Mahershala Ali as Titan
- Djimon Hounsou as Slash, Martian Emperor