Rahm Israel Emanuel (born 29 November 1959) is an American politician who served as the 55th mayor of Chicago from 2011 to 2019. He has been White House Chief of Staff to President Barack Obama, a senior advisor to President Bill Clinton and a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing Illinois's 5th congressional district.
|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I have a lot to weigh: the basis of public service, which I've given my life to, a career choice. And most importantly, what I want to do as a parent. I know something about the White House. That, I assume, is one of the reasons that President-elect Obama would like me to serve. But I also know something about what it means to a family.
[Republicans] can go fuck themselves!
- Quoted in 2008 in San Francisco Chronicle.
- You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that [is] it's an opportunity to do things that you think you could not before.
- About the quote: Emanuel was not the first to express this idea, as pointed out in a 2009 New York Times Magazine article. However this statement - which proposed a way the Obama administration could actually harness the chaos of the Financial Crisis of 2008 - became a frequently-repeated slogan for many economists, policy makers and business people who sought to improve the world's financial and economic systems.
- [Obama White House] rescued the economy from the worst recession.
- Chief of staff is the only White House job with two titles: chief and staff. The first allows for structure and accountability. The second, well, just remember whose name was on the ballot, check your ego at the door and understand you're there to serve the President and ensure that his—or, someday, her—vision is being executed. When I had the role, I used to joke on Fridays, "Lucky us, just two more workdays until Monday." It's an all-consuming, thankless job—but walking through those gates at the beginning and end of each day, no matter how early or late, brings a tingle to your spine. The day that goes away is the day it's time to go.
- This is an ironic choice for a president-elect who has promised to change Washington, make politics more civil and govern from the center.
- Rahm Emanuel is son of the devil's spawn. He is an individual who would sell his mother to get a vote. He would strap his children to the front end of a steam locomotive.
- (Mother's Day) is a tough holiday for Rahm Emanuel because he's not used to saying the word "day" after "mother".
- President Barack Obama, during the 2009 White House Correspondents Dinner. 
- With Rahm, you get someone who is both a great strategic thinker and a great tactician. It's great to have someone who knows the Congress inside and out. There can often be major differences between the executive branch and the congressional branch, even when you're from the same party. It will certainly help in terms of getting things done.
- Chris Van Hollen, quoted in San Francisco Chronicle.
- Two of Chicago’s four city pension funds will be bankrupt within a few years, according to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. You’d think that’s a scenario unions – the supposed champions for public-employee retirements – would want to avoid.
But not in Chicago. Unions are fighting to block any kind of pension reform, effectively locking in bankruptcy for city-employee pension systems.
- Benjamin VanMetre, Unions to Bankrupt Chicago Pension Funds, IllinoisPolicy.org, December 29, 2014