Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (also known as Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi) is a 2017 American epic space opera film written and directed by Rian Johnson. It is the second film in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, following Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015).
- The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.
Only General Leia Organa's band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight.
But the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the Rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape....
- [about Ben Solo] I saw darkness. I sensed it building in him. I'd seen it in moments during his training. But then I looked inside, and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart. He would bring destruction, pain, death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose Master had failed him.
General Leia Organa
- [to Luke] I know what you're gonna say. I've changed my hair.
- Light. Darkness. The balance.
- We are the spark that'll light the fire that'll burn the First Order down.
Supreme Leader Snoke
- My worthy apprentice, son of darkness, heir apparent to Lord Vader. Where there was conflict, I now sense resolve. Where there was weakness, strength. Complete your training, and fulfill your destiny.
- [last words to Rey before he is killed by Kylo Ren with Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber] You think you can turn him? Pathetic child. I cannot be betrayed; I cannot be beaten. I see his mind, I see his every intent. Yes. I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true. And now, foolish child, he ignites it, and kills his true enemy!
- That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love.
Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo
- When I served under Leia, she always told me: "Hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when you can see it, you'll never make it through the night."
- Four hundred of us on three ships. We're the very last of the Resistance. But we're not alone. In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and oppressed know our symbol and they put their hope in it. We are the spark that will light the fire that will restore the Republic. That spark, this Resistance, must survive. That is our mission. Now to your stations, and may the Force be with us.
- Finn, let me learn you something big: It's all a machine, partner. Live free. Don't join.
- Poe Dameron: This is Commander Poe Dameron of the Republic fleet. I have an urgent communique for General Hux.
- General Hux: This is General Hux of the First Order. The Republic is no more. Your fleet are Rebel scum and war criminals. Tell your precious princess there will be no terms, there will be no surrender—
- Poe: Hi, I'm holding for General Hux.
- Hux: This is Hux. You and your friends are doomed. We will wipe your filth from the galaxy!
- Poe: [pauses] Okay, I'll hold.
- Hux: Hello?
- Poe: Hello? Yup, I'm still here.
- Hux: Can you— can he hear me?
- Poe: Hux?
- Captain Canady: He can.
- Poe: With an 'H'? Skinny guy? Kinda pasty?
- Hux: [becoming increasingly annoyed] I can hear you. Can you hear me?
- Poe: Look, I can't hold forever. If you reach him, tell him Leia has an urgent message for him...
- Canady: I believe he's tooling with you, sir.
- Poe: ...about his mother.
- Hux: [enraged] Open fire!
- Supreme Leader Snoke: [referring to General Hux] You wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? A cur's weakness, properly manipulated, can be a sharp tool. How's your wound?
- Kylo Ren: [through damaged vocabulator] It's nothing.
- Snoke: Hmm. The mighty Kylo Ren. When I found you, I saw what all masters live to see: raw, untamed power...and beyond that, something truly special. The potential of your bloodline. A new Vader. Now, I fear I was mistaken.
- Ren: I've given everything I have to you, to the Dark Side...
- Snoke: [referring to Ren's helmet] Take that ridiculous thing off. [Ren takes off his helmet, revealing his bandaged facial scar] Yes...there it is. You have too much of your father's heart in you, young Solo.
- Ren: I killed Han Solo. When the moment came, I didn't hesitate!
- Snoke: And look at you. The deed split your spirit to the bone. You were unbalanced, bested by a girl who had never held a lightsaber! You failed!! [Ren tries to attack Snoke, but he blasts Force lightning into the ground which ricochets into Ren, blasting him back; the Praetorian guards draw their weapons in response] Skywalker lives! The seed of the Jedi Order lives! As long as he does...hope lives in the galaxy. I thought you would be the one to snuff it out. Alas, you are no Vader. You are just a child in a mask.
- Luke Skywalker: Where are you from?
- Rey: Nowhere.
- Luke: No one's from nowhere.
- Rey: Jakku.
- Luke: All right; that is pretty much nowhere. Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?
- Rey: The Resistance sent me. The First Order has become unstoppable–
- Luke: Why are you here?
- Rey: Something inside me has always been there...but now it's awake, and I'm afraid. I don't know what it is, or what to do with it, but I need help.
- Luke: You need a teacher...I can't teach you.
- Rey: Why not? I've seen your daily routine; you are not busy.
- Luke: I will never train another generation of Jedi. I came to this island to die. It's time for the Jedi...to end.
- Luke: What do you know about the Force?
- Rey: It's a power the Jedi have that lets them control people and...make things float.
- Luke: Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
- Rey: I know this place.
- Luke: Built a thousand generations ago to keep these. The original Jedi texts. Just like me, they're the last of the Jedi religion. You've seen this place. You've seen this island.
- Rey: Only in my dreams.
- Luke: Breathe. Reach out with your feelings. What do you see?
- Rey: The island. Life. Death and decay, that feeds new life. Warmth. Cold. Peace. Violence.
- Luke: And between it all?
- Rey: Balance and energy. A Force.
- Luke: And inside you?
- Rey: Inside me, that same Force.
- Luke: And this is the lesson. That Force does not belong to the Jedi. To say that if the Jedi die, the light dies, is vanity. Can you feel that?
- Luke: You went straight to the dark.
- Rey: That place was trying to show me something.
- Luke: It offered something you needed. And you didn't even try to stop yourself.
- Rey: But I didn't see you. Nothing from you. You've closed yourself off from the Force. Of course you have.
- Luke: I've seen this raw strength only once before, in Ben Solo. It didn't scare me enough then. It does now.
- Ren: Why is the Force connecting us? You and I?
- Rey: Murderous snake! You're too late. You lost! I found Skywalker!
- Ren: Did he tell you what happened? The night I destroyed his temple, did he tell you why?
- Rey: I know everything I need to know about you.
- Ren: You do? Oh, you do. You have that look in your eyes, from the forest. You called me a monster.
- Rey: You are a monster.
- Ren: [pauses] Yes, I am.
- Luke: Lesson two. Now that they're extinct, the Jedi are romanticized, deified. But if you strip away the myth and look at their deeds, the legacy of the Jedi is failure. Hypocrisy, hubris.
- Rey: That's not true!
- Luke: At the height of their powers, they allowed Darth Sidious to rise, create the Empire, and wipe them out. It was a Jedi Master who was responsible for the training and creation of Darth Vader.
- Rey: And a Jedi who saved him. Yes. Your father was the most hated man in the galaxy. He caused so much death and destruction for many years. But you saw there was conflict inside him. You believed that he wasn't gone. That he could be turned.
- Luke: And I became a legend. For many years, there was balance and then I saw Ben. My nephew with that mighty Skywalker blood. In my hubris, I thought I could train him; I could pass on my strengths. Han was Han was about it, but...Leia trusted me with her son. I took him, and a dozen students, and began a training temple. By the time I realized I was no match for the darkness rising in him, it was too late.
- Rey: Why did you hate your father? Give me an honest answer. You had a father who loved you; he gave a damn about you!
- Ren: I didn't hate him.
- Rey: Then why?
- Ren: "Why" what? [pauses] "Why" what? Say it.
- Rey: [sobbing] Why did you...why did you kill him? I don't understand.
- Ren: No. Your parents threw you away like garbage.
- Rey: They didn't.
- Ren: They did, but you can't stop needing them. It's your greatest weakness. Looking for them everywhere, in Han Solo, and now in Skywalker. Did he tell you what happened that night?
- Rey: Yes.
- Ren: No. He'd sensed my power, as he senses yours, and he feared it...let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be.
- Rey: [having returned to her hut after her ordeal in the Mirror Cave] I thought I'd find answers here. I was wrong. I've never felt so alone.
- Ren: You're not alone.
- Rey: Neither are you.
- [Rey and Ren reach out to each other through the Force. Luke notices them touching hands]
- Luke: STOP!
- [Rey and Ren look at Luke angrily; Luke uses the Force to push the hut apart. Rey searches for Ren, who has vanished]
- Rey: [turns to Luke] Is it true? Did you try to murder him?
- Luke: Leave this island, now!
- [Luke storms off into the rain, but Rey follows after him]
- Rey: Stop...STOP! [knocks Luke down in the back of the head with her quarterstaff] Did you do it? Did you create Kylo Ren? [the two proceed to fight each other along the cliffside until she gets the upper hand, forcing Luke into submission with Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber] Tell me the truth.
- Luke: I saw darkness. I sensed it building in him. I'd seen it in moments during his training. But then I looked inside, and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart. He would bring destruction and pain and death, and the end of everything I love because of what he will become, and for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow, and I was left with shame and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose Master had failed him.
- Rey: You failed him by thinking his choice was made. It wasn't! There's still conflict in him. If he would turn from the Dark Side, that could shift the tide! This could be how we win!
- Luke: This is not going to go the way you think!
- Rey: It is. Just now, when we touched hands, I saw his future. As solid as I'm seeing you. If I go to him, Ben Solo will turn.
- Luke: Rey...don't do this.
- Rey: Then he is our last hope.
- Luke: So, it is time for the Jedi Order to end?
- Yoda: Time, it is...hmm, for you to look past a pile of old books, hmm?
- Luke: The sacred Jedi texts!
- Yoda: Oh? Read them, have you?
- Luke: Well, I...
- Yoda: Page-turners, they were not. Yes, yes, yes. Wisdom, they held, but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess. Ah, Skywalker...still looking to the horizon. Never here! [pokes Luke with his walking stick] Now, hmm? The need in front of your nose!
- Luke: I was weak. Unwise.
- Yoda: Lost Ben Solo, you did. Lose Rey, you must not.
- Luke: I can't be what she needs me to be!
- Yoda: Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm...but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.
- Snoke: [Rey's restraints are undone] Come closer, child. So much strength. Darkness rises, and light to meet it. I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise. [uses the Force to take Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber] Skywalker... [laughs] I assumed. Wrongly. Closer, I said. [uses the Force to slowly move Rey toward him]
- Rey: You underestimate Skywalker, and Ben Solo, and me. It will be your downfall.
- Snoke: Oh. Have you seen something? A weakness...in my apprentice...is that why you came? [laughs] Young fool. It was I who bridged your minds. I stoked Ren's conflicted soul. I knew he was not strong enough to hide it from you, and you were not wise enough to resist the bait! [moves Rey closer and looks face to face with Rey] And now...you will give me Skywalker. Then...I will kill you with the cruelest stroke.
- Rey: No.
- Snoke: Yes. [forces Rey into the air] Give...me...everything.
- [Rey screams in agony]
- Snoke: I did not expect Skywalker to be so wise. We will give him and the Jedi Order the death he desires. After the Rebels are gone, we will go to his planet and obliterate the entire island. [Rey tries to use the Force to take Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber, but Snoke uses it to hit her on the head] Such spunk. Look here now. [uses the Force to move Rey toward the viewport to show her the Resistance transport ships being destroyed one by one] The entire Resistance on those transports. Soon, they will all be gone. For you, all is lost. [Rey uses the Force to take Ren's lightsaber] Oh, still that fiery spit of hope? You have the spirit of a true Jedi! [Rey charges at Snoke with Ren's lightsaber. Snoke picks her up with the Force and she lands in front of Ren. His lightsaber spins around and stops in front of him] And because of that...you must die. [uses the Force and turns Rey toward Ren] My worthy apprentice, son of darkness, heir apparent to Lord Vader. Where there was conflict, I now sense resolve; where there was weakness, strength. Complete your training, and fulfill your destiny.
- Ren: [picks up his lightsaber] I know what I have to do.
- Rey: Ben.
- Snoke: [laughs] You think you can turn him? Pathetic child. I cannot be betrayed. I cannot be beaten. I see his mind: I see his every intent. Yes! I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true! [without Snoke knowing, Ren uses the Force to face Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber toward him] And now...foolish child...he ignites it...and kills his true enemy!
- [Ren uses the Force to ignite Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber and Snoke is cut in half at the waist; the lightsaber flies back into Rey's hand. Ren ignites his own lightsaber and he and Rey fight Snoke's Praetorian guards]
- Ren: It's time to let old things die. Snoke, Skywalker, the Sith, the Jedi, the Rebels; let it all die. Rey...I want you to join me. We can rule together and bring a new order to the galaxy!
- Rey: [starting to tear up] Don't do this, Ben. Please, don't go this way.
- Ren: No, no, you're still...holding on! Let go! Do you want to know the truth about your parents, or have you always known? You've just hidden it away. You know the truth. Say it. [Rey continues to tear up] Say it.
- Rey: [tearfully] They were nobody.
- Ren: They were filthy junk traders; sold you off for drinking money. They're dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert. You have no place in this story; you come from nothing. You're nothing...but not to me. Join me. [he extends his hand towards Rey] Please.
- [DJ has sold Finn and Rose out, and has revealed that the Resistance is fleeing towards Crait]
- DJ: Oh, t-t-take it easy, Big F. They blow you up today, you blow them up tomorrow. Nothing personal; it's just business.
- Finn: You're wrong!
- DJ: Maybe.
- Captain Phasma: [contemptuous] You were always scum.
- Finn: [proudly] Rebel scum.
- Hux: What...happened?
- Ren: The girl murdered Snoke. [surveys the room and notices half the Supremacy floating away] What happened?!
- Hux: She took Snoke's escape craft.
- Ren: We know where she's going. Get all our forces down to that Resistance base; let's finish this.
- Hux: "Finish this"? Who do you think you're talking to? You presume to command my army?! Our Supreme Leader is dead! We have no ruler!
- Ren: [angrily uses the Force to choke Hux and to bring him to his knees] The Supreme Leader is dead.
- Hux: [choking] Long live the Supreme Leader.
- Luke: [referring to Kylo Ren] I came to face him, Leia, and I can't save him.
- General Leia Organa: I held out hope for so long...but I know my son is gone.
- Luke: No one's ever really gone.
- Ren: Did you come back to say you forgive me? To save my soul?
- Luke: No.
- [The two draw their lightsabers; Ren charges at Luke, who blocks and dodges each blow as he returns to a ready stance]
- Luke: I failed you, Ben. I'm sorry.
- Ren: I'm sure you are! The Resistance is dead! The war is over! And when I kill you, I will have killed the last Jedi!
- Luke: Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi.
- Ren: I'll destroy her...and you...and all of it.
- Luke: [extinguishes his lightsaber] No. Strike me down in anger, and I will always be with you. Just like your father.
- [Ren charges at Luke one last time, swinging his lightsaber; however he sees that Luke is still standing. Confused, he jabs Luke with his lightsaber before staring in horror as he realizes he's been fighting a Force projection all this time. It has also been revealed that Luke is still on Ahch-To]
- Ren: No...
- Luke: See you around, kid. [his Force projection fades away]
- Ren: [turning to see that the Resistance has escaped] NO!
- Mark Hamill – Luke Skywalker
- Carrie Fisher – General Leia Organa
- Adam Driver – Kylo Ren
- Daisy Ridley – Rey
- John Boyega – Finn
- Oscar Isaac – Poe Dameron
- Andy Serkis – Supreme Leader Snoke
- Lupita Nyong'o – Maz Kanata
- Domhnall Gleeson – General Hux
- Anthony Daniels – C-3PO
- Gwendoline Christie – Captain Phasma
- Kelly Marie Tran – Rose Tico
- Laura Dern – Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo
- Frank Oz – Yoda
- Benicio del Toro – DJ
The Phantom Menace (1999) · Attack of the Clones (2002) · Revenge of the Sith (2005)
The Force Awakens (2015) · Rogue One (2016) · The Last Jedi (2017)