The Mummy (1932 film)
The Mummy is a 1932 horror film from Universal Studios directed by Karl Freund and starring Boris Karloff, Zita Johann, David Manners and Edward Van Sloan. It was shot in Cantil, California, Universal City, and the Mojave Desesrt.
- Frank: Stuck in the desert for two months, and it was hot! That tomb...
- Helen/The Princess: What tomb?
- Frank: Surely you read about the princess?
- Helen/The Princess: So you did that.
- Frank: Yes. The fourteen steps down and the unbroken seals were thrilling. But when we came to handle all her clothes and her jewels and her toilet things - you know they buried everything with them that they used in life? - well, when we came to unwrap the girl herself...
- Helen/The Princess: How could you do that?
- Frank: Had to! Science, you know. Well after we'd worked among her things, I felt as if I'd known her. But when we got the wrappings off, and I saw her face... you'll think me silly, but I sort of fell in love with her.
- Helen/The Princess: Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with?
- Frank: Oh, I know it seems absurd when we've known each other such a short time. But I'm serious.
- Helen/The Princess: Don't you think I've had enough excitement for one evening, without the additional thrill of an strange man making love to me?
- Dr. Muller: Look - the scared spells which protect the soul in its journey to the underworld have been chipped off the coffin. So Imhotep was sentenced to death not only in this world, but in the next.
- Assistant: Maybe he got too gay with the vestal virgins in the temple.
- Dr. Muller: Possibly.
- Dr. Muller: Put it back. Bury it where you found it. You have read the curse. You dare deft it?
- Joseph: In the interest of science. Even if I believed in the curse, I'd go on with my work for the museum. Come back with me, and we'll examine this great find together.
- Dr. Muller: I cannot condone an act of sacriledge with my presence.
- Joseph: [translating inscription on box] "Death... eternal punishment... for... anyone... who... opens... this... casket. In the name... of Amon-Ra... the king of gods." Good heavens, what a terrible curse!
- Ralph: [eagerly] Well, let's see what's inside!
- Ralph: He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!
- Frank: You seem to think this thing has all the devils of hell in it. Why not burn it and be done with it?
- Dr. Muller: An excellent suggestion...