User talk:Achilles/Archive 1
thanks for restoring the Abbie Hoffman quote. Andries
Removal of genuine quotes from Prem Rawat by user:Jossifresco
I strongly object to removal of genuine quotes by user Jossifresco whom I believe to be the same person as ip user:18.104.22.168 Could you please help? Read this to understand the background of the conflict. Thanks Andries 17:11, 21 Nov 2004 (UTC)
- Just a note that I responded to this and left comments on the Prem Rawat talk pages a few days ago. ~ Achilles 03:27, 2 Dec 2004 (UTC)
Delete for move
Where to I request a delete to allow a page move? Yes, Prime Minister is the correct spelling but contains only one quote already found on the much more complete but misspelled Yes Prime Minister. Rmhermen 16:41, 4 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- I read the request here, and have taken care of this. ~ Kalki 22:50, 4 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Hi, Achilles, would you like to consider to be a sysop? You are one of most active and experienced editors here, submitting many good quotes and caring for the maintenance. You know to pay attention to other editors (I'm inpressed by your comment to RPickman). If you would like me to nominate you as a candidate at Wikiquote:Requests for adminship, please reply me here. Of course it will be welcome that you nominate yourself ;-) --Aphaia 05:32, 2 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Thanks for the inquiry as to my interest, but for now I will decline. The existing group of sysops seem to be doing a fine job, and I might occasionally prefer to be a bit more blunt or harsh with some people than might be proper for someone speaking in any "official" capacity as representative of the project. I plan to remain active here on at least an intermittent basis, and check things out, but I probably shouldn't be relied upon to be constantly involved. ~ Achilles 18:31, 2 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Thank you for your reply - or replies. Also your applause for our activities. It is sorry now you would like to decline. Seriously I think the number of administrators on this project is not enough keep it in a proper way. There are almost 500 users per a sysop; avarage is 200-250 users and there is already a heap of deletion candidates, though Kalki have been doing a good job. As for "representation" your idea is a bit surprise for me ;-) If I would have shared this idea, I wouldn't have accepted the recent nomination. And I would like to add I am known with my blunt, hasty and bossy attitude ;-) I can call my friends to evident my bluntness *g And since you are more active than I, so from this view you are more appropriate to represent this project than I in my humble opinion.
- Anyway I would like you to know I admire always your fine work. You submit many good articles I have read with a great joy! :: Chers, --Aphaia 19:33, 2 Apr 2005 (UTC)
You added an article to VfD, but have neglected to vote for deletion, although you seemed in favour of it. Was there a reason? MosheZadka 08:08, 22 May 2005 (UTC)
- Just an oversight. I have voted now. ~ Achilles
L. Ron Hubbard
Hi, Achilles. Thanks for reverting vandalism to L. Ron Hubbard. I have left a message on User talk:22.214.171.124 that the next time he vandalises a page, he will be blocked. Even if there is proof LRH did not say these quotes, current consensus rules that they be moved to "misattributed" with notes about how the misattribution came about. Feel free to point it out to the user, and if he vandalises the page again, please leave me a note so I will notice it and block him. Thanks ~ MosheZadka (Talk) 06:31, 4 August 2005 (UTC)
- The above comment was posted by an anonymous coward using IP 126.96.36.199 very soon after I created a page for Sharon Tate, partially in response to witnessing heavy activity by others on the Charles Manson page, to which I added an image, did some formatting work, added a section, and some links. I am not sure whether the events were related or not.
- Many bold and infantile cowards exist on the internet. I don't know if I was a deliberate or a random target of this particular form of idiocy, but I have always been inclined to take it as a compliment to be insulted by idiots.
- I was reminded of J. D. Salinger's statement in The Catcher in the Rye (1951) :
- That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose.
- As Kurt Vonnegut has said... So it goes. . . ~ Achilles
Ass or Ape?
Hi. Re the Lichtenberg quote: German Wikiquote has
"Ein Buch ist Spiegel, aus dem kein Apostel herausgucken kann, wenn ein Affe hineinguckt."
(lit. "A book is (a) mirror, out-of which no apostle look-out-from can, if an ape looks-in.")
for the original; no variant is noted there. The German for "an ass" is ein Esel. (I suspect what may have happened is that someone mistook the double f's in Affe for (Gothic script) s's and assumed the word was Asse = ass.) The fact that Google turns up more hits for the English version with "ass" is an interesting fact that might be noted, but it is not a valid argument re what the original quote was. RJCraig 20:58, 3 January 2006 (UTC)
- Wow! You've been busy!!! My hat's off to you! RJCraig 18:56, 5 January 2006 (UTC)
I just wanted to drop by and say hello to "Mr. cardboard sword". Thank you for voting to cmd: 'DELETE' me! You know, I just love a democratic vote... Take the ballots and mark them as planned, strip this place now of the pitiful man for he hath brains and not afraid to think, quickly now brothers - deprive him of ink!
So then, Mr. Cardboard sword, this is for you :) and these are :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) for your peers.
- This was a remark from a once rather persistent troll, who I had no interest in feeding, who often sought to engage in far more troublesome dialogue with others than actual contributions here and at Wikipedia. The sword referred to is of course an electronically produced image — and thus clearly not something of "cardboard" at all — but to some extent a sword of light and electricity and mental imagery — and I aim to shock many deceitful fools and dolts with such words of truth and such swords of discernment as I can wield. I have long retired from many a fray, as beneath my concern, but plan to enter a few that are arising very vigorously. ~ Achilles † 22:04, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
No pesonal attacks
Please refrain from making personal attacks as you have done on the abortion talk page. Perhaps you did not mean to do so. Nevertheless, I have edited out your attack. Just a friendly reminder. Mr. Grace
- "Friendly reminder" My ASS — try smarmy conceited arrogantly presumptuous threat amidst arrogant attempts at censorship of honest and honestly restrained opinion. I made no "pesonal attacks" — I made vigorous criticism and honest observations of this person's apparent long time deceitfulness, under what seemed to be several guises. I too use different guises, and work on many different sites, but remain entirely honest in all of them, and respectful toward most people. I greatly respect the concept of Grace, and because I do, this person's use of that term as applied to themselves is one I have always found truly revolting. Though I actually can agree with and accept some of this person's opinions, this comment by this largely deceitful, fanatically obsessive partisan against existing abortion laws led me to long abandon editing under this persona here, as one I might not entirely be able to temper in dealing with such truly dis-graceful and contemptible hypocrisy and idiocy as was being manifest, and the deference which others seemed inclined to pay to it. I am not inclined to insult people, but I do state things as I see them.
- I declared in the title section of a comment "The disgraceful edits of "Mr. Grace" (and perhaps others)" my honest critique of this person's edits. His/her prompt removal of my comments was promptly restored by another editor, after which he/she changed the title to "Editing concerns" — which I accepted as many of the points remained intact. I was then warned to "follow the rules" and make "no pesonal attacks" by this person whom I simply honestly accused of being deceitful, and with good reason. When people are so hypocritical and yet feel so smug that they can make an honest and vigorous accusation of someone practicing deceit and hypocrisy, where it is clearly evidenced, to be considered a "personal attack" I feel there is rarely any point in talking either to them or about them, personally. Their behavior and practices are beneath contempt, and the situation beyond something I care to bother about.
- I have now resumed editing here under this name, and plan to contribute once more as Achilles from time to time, and engage in some contentions upon matters I feel significant. I won't promise even so much as a weekly or monthly presence, but I do plan to do things in coming weeks and months and will probably show up here more often for at least a few months.