Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wednesday is the day of the week following Tuesday and before Thursday. According to international standard ISO 8601 adopted in most western countries it is the third day of the week. In countries that use the Sunday-first convention Wednesday is defined as the fourth day of the week. It is the fourth day of the week in the Judeo-Christian calendar as well, and was defined so in the ancient Mesopotamian and biblical calendars. The name is derived from Old English Wōdnesdæg and Middle English Wednesdei, "day of Woden", ultimately a calque of dies Mercurii "day of Mercury". Wednesday is in the middle of the common Western five-day workweek that starts on Monday and finishes on Friday.
- It's fine work. Monday burn Millay, Wednesday Whitman, Friday Faulkner, burn 'em to ashes, then burn the ashes. That's our official slogan.
- Guy Montag to Clarisse McClellan in "The Hearth and the Salamander," Pt. 1 of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 (1953), p. 6.
- In the 1966 François Truffaut film based on the book, Montag (Oskar Werner)'s line is:
- It's possible that he's in the land of perpetual Wednesday, or the crazy melty land, or, you know, the world without shrimp.
- Anya in "Triangle," Buffy the Vampire Slayer (S5 E11, 9 January 2001).
- Wednesday's child is full of woe
- "Monday's Child," first recorded in A. E. Bray's Traditions of Devonshire vol. II (1838), pp. 287–288).
- Wednesday, we had stormy weather
- Aretha Franklin, "Good News," So Damn Happy (September 2003), tr. 10.
- Wednesday, she's looking for a friend
She'll get what she wants
Can't seem to get enough
- Monday's gone
Thursday's all but wasted now
- Stone Temple Pilots, "Days of the Week," Shangri-La Dee Da (19 June 2001), tr. 2.
- Tuesday's grey and Wednesday, too
- Tuesday, Wednesday, break my heart
- Tuesday, Wednesday, heart attack
- Tuesday, Wednesday, stay in bed
- The Cure, "Friday I'm in Love," Wish (11 May 1992), tr. 7.
- Wednesday just don't go
Thursday goes too slow
I've got Friday on my mind
- The Easybeats, "Friday on My Mind," Good Friday (May 1967), tr. 6.
- If you love a Wednesday
You'll live your life apart, now
- The Monkees, "Saturday's Child," The Monkees (10 October 1966), tr. 2.
- Wednesday Addams, a character in:
- The Addams Family (comic)
- The Addams Family (1964 television series)
- The Addams Family (1991 film)
- Addams Family Values (1993 film)
- The Addams Family (2010 play)
- Wednesday (2022 television series)
- Encyclopedic article on Wednesday on Wikipedia
- The dictionary definition of Wednesday on Wiktionary
- Media related to Wednesday on Wikimedia Commons
- Happy Wednesday Quotes
|Days of the week|
|Sunday · Monday · Tuesday · Wednesday · Thursday · Friday · Saturday|