Quotes about Prejudice.
- He hears but half who hears one party only.
- Æschylus, Eum, 428; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 631.
- The great obstacle to progress is prejudice
- Christian Nestell Bovee, Intuitions and Summaries of Thought (1862), Volume II, p. 105.
- Prejudice renders a man's virtue his habit, and not a series of unconnected acts. Through just prejudice, his duty becomes a part of his nature.
- Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France (1790).
- We are all citizens of one world, we are all of one blood. To hate a man because he was born in another country, because he speaks a different language, or because he takes a different view on this subject or that, is a great folly. Desist, I implore you, for we are all equally human…. Let us have but one end in view, the welfare of humanity.
- Attributed to John Amos Comenius; reported in Laurence J. Peter, Peter's Quotations (1977), p. 76. This passage was used by Adlai E. Stevenson on his Christmas card in 1961.
- Can science ever be immune from experiments conceived out of prejudices and stereotypes, conscious or not? (Which is not to suggest that it cannot in discrete areas identify and locate verifiable phenemonena in nature.) I await the study that says lesbians have a region of the hypothalamus that resembles straight men and I would not be surprised if, at this very moment, some scientist somewhere is studying brains of deceased Asians to see if they have an enlarged "math region" of the brain.
- Kay Diaz, in Z, (December 1992)
- Chi non esce dal suo paese, vive pieno di pregiudizi.
- He who never leaves his country is full of prejudices.
- Carlo Goldoni, Pamela (c. 1750), I, 14.
- This is the essence of the problem. To Dan Rather and to a lot of other powerful members of the chattering class, that which is right of center is conservative. That which is left of center is middle of the road. No wonder they can't recognize their own bias.
- Both social and biosocial factors are necessary to interpret crosscultural studies, with the general proviso that one's research interest determines which elements, in what combinations, are significant for the provision of understanding.
- Gilbert Herdt, "Bisexuality and the Causes of Homosexuality: The Case of the Sambia"
- Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices.
- Remember, when the judgment's weak,
The prejudice is strong.
- Kane O'Hara, Midas, Air, Act I, scene 3; reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 632.
- How immense to us appear the sins we have not committed.
- Madame Necker; reported in Louis Klopsch, ed., Many Thoughts of Many Minds: A Treasury of Quotations From the Literature of Every Land and Every Age (1896), p. 229.
- Sex prejudice is so ingrained in our society that many who practice it are simply unaware that they are hurting women. It is the last socially acceptable prejudice.
- Bernice Sandler, testimony (June 19, 1970), "Discrimination Against Women", hearings before the special subcommittee on education of the Committee on Education and Labor, House of Representatives, 91st Congress, 2d session, part 1, p. 302 (1970). She was chairman of the Action Committee for Federal Contract Compliance in Education of the Women's Equity Action League.
- Consider: if you incorporate those tropical countries with the Republic of the United States, you will have to incorporate their people too.
- Carl Schurz, remarks in the Senate on the annexation of San Domingo (January 11, 1871), The Congressional Globe, vol. 43, p. 26.
- When we destroy an old prejudice, we have need of a new virtue.
- Anne Louise Germaine de Staël, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 484.
- Husserl has shown that man's prejudices go a great deal deeper than his intellect or his emotions. Consciousness itself is 'prejudiced' — that is to say, intentional.
- Colin Wilson in Introduction to the New Existentialism, p. 54.