Black is the colour of coal, ebony, and of outer space. It is the darkest colour, the result of the absence of or complete absorption of light. It is the opposite of white (the combined spectrum of colour or light) and represents the absence of color. Black was one of the first colors used by artists in neolithic cave paintings. In the Roman Empire, it became the color of mourning, and over the centuries it was frequently associated with death, evil, witches, and magic. According to surveys in Europe and North America, it is the colour most commonly associated with mourning, the end, secrets, magic, power, violence, evil, and elegance.
- I saw a mighty Devil folded in black clouds [...]
- By degrees we beheld the infinite Abyſs, fiery as the smoke of a burning city; beneath us at an immense distance was the sun, black but shining round it were fiery tracks on which revolv'd vast spiders, crawling after their prey; which flew or rather swum in infinite deep, in the most terrific shapes of animals sprung from corruption. & the air was full of them, & seemd composed of them; these are Devils. and are called Powers of the air [...]
- [speaking of Leviathan] [...] soon we saw his mouth & red gills hang just above the raging foam tinging the black deep with beams of blood, advancing toward us with all the fury of a spiritual existence.
- Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot. So my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the night, black, terrible...a.a... [as if in answer, a huge bat flies in the open window!] a bat!
- Bruce Wayne in "The Batman Wars Against the Dirigible of Doom," Detective Comics 33 (November 1939), written by Gardner Fox. The beginning of this story was republished as "The Legend of the Batman—Who He Is and How He Came to Be!" Batman 1 (Spring 1940).
- We chanced in passing by that afternoon
To catch it in a sort of special picture
Among tar-banded ancient cherry trees,
Set well back from the road in rank lodged grass,
The little cottage we were speaking of,
A front with just a door between two windows,
Fresh painted by the shower a velvet black.
- Black, (blak), adj. Destitute of light, devoid of color, enveloped in darkness. Hence, utterly dismal or gloomy, as "the future looked black.
- I dress in black because it makes me look less fat, it's as simple as that. It's not a gothic flourish.
- The walls are cracked and water runs upon them in thin threads without sound, black and glistening as blood.
- And beyond the City there lies the plain, and beyond the plain, black upon the black sky, there lies the Uncharted Forest.
- We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal. Blacker than the blackest black...times infinity.
- …nothing is more uncommon than a very large or a very small man; and this applies generally to all extremes, whether of great and small, or swift and slow, or fair and foul, or black and white; and whether the instances you select be man or dogs or anything else, few are the extremes, but many are in the mean between them.
- No way, no way. Tried it once, doesn't work. You got four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.
- They fall on top of each other. The scribbled signature black, onto the blinding global white, onto the thick soupy red.
- Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
Why you never see bright colors on my back,
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.
- I only smile in the dark
My only comfort is the night gone black
I didn't accidentally tell you that
I'm only happy when it rains
- I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours any more, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by, dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes
- I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
- I look inside myself and see my heart is black
- It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black
- I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
- Nah nah nah
The good guys dress in black, remember that
Just in case we ever face to face and make contact
The title held by me, M. I. B.
Means what you think you saw, you did not see
So don't blink be what was there is now gone
The black suits with the black Ray Bans on
All I see
In my infancy
Red and yellow then came to be
Reaching out to me
Lets me see