British Columbia (BC), is the westernmost of Canada's provinces and is famed for its natural beauty, as reflected in its Latin motto, Splendor sine occasu ("Splendour without Sunset (Diminishment)"). It was the sixth province to join the Canadian Confederation. Its residents are referred to as British Columbians. The capital of British Columbia is Victoria, the 15th largest metropolitan region in Canada. The largest city is Vancouver, Canada's third-largest metropolitan area.
- And the only really good thing about the province of British Columbia is that
it's right next to us,
Cuz Alberta, doesn't suck
- Source: The Toronto Song Lyrics by 3 Dead Trolls in a Baggie
- . The Toronto Song lyrics by 3 Dead Trolls in a Baggie: letssingit.com (in english). Retrieved on 2011-05-01..
- As I was a-walking on down Broughton Street,
To me, way, heigh, blow the man down,
I went into Speedie's me shipmates to meet,
Gi' me some time to blow the man down.
- Source: Blow the Man Down (Halyard Shanty) song lyrics by Anonymous
- C (December 5th. 2004). Folksongs of British Columbia: - “Blow the Man Down ” (in english). The British Columbia Folklore Society. Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Notes:Broughton Street is in Victoria, the capital city of British Columbia. This song is a Pacific Ocean sea faring tune starting in Victoria.
- A story I will tell you of the salty fisherman,
Of all the little rivers and inlets of the coast,
He seems to like Pender Harbour to bum around the most.
- Source: The Pender Harbour Fisherman's Come All Ye song lyrics by PJ Thomas
- C (apr97). Folk & Traditional Song Lyrics - The Pender Harbour Fisherman's Come All Ye (in english). Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Notes: Pender Harbour is a part of the Sechelt Peninsula on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast.
- Bitter days, on the fishing grounds.
And we tacked off Hippa, in a dirty lump,
And the pigs were bouncing, man, and you could see them jump
- Source: Fishing Grounds song lyrics by Ken Hamm
- C (December 5th. 2004). Folksongs of British Columbia: - “Fishing Grounds.” (in english). The British Columbia Folklore Society. Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Notes:The Queen Charlotte Islands on the west coast of British Columbia features Hippa Island near Graham Island. The Salmon fishing grounds are now called Haida Gwaii.
- Downstream ever further from our native
nowheres (paradise, wilderness)
we ooh and aah harder over
these sockeye come three hundred miles upstream
- Source: Adam's River [John Pass] Governor General's Award poet
- Pass, John (2000). Adam's River (in english). Poetry by John Pass : Terrain.org. Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environments. Retrieved on 02 10, 2013..
- Notes: The Adams River, British Columbia features a famous Salmon run.
- Here comes Henry Currie, he's always in a hurry
Teaming up the Cariboo road
He makes his horses go through the dust and through the snow
Teaming up the Cariboo road
- Source: Teaming up the Cariboo road song lyrics by Phil Thomas
- Thomas, PHil (apr96). Teaming Up the Cariboo Road (in english). Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Notes:The Cariboo Road (also called the Cariboo Wagon Road, the Great North Road or the Queen's Highway) connects Fort Yale to Barkerville, British Columbia.
- Huge orange flying boat rises off a lake
Thousand-year-old petroglyphs doing a double take
- Source: Wondering Where The Lions Are song lyrics by Bruce Cockburn
- Notes: The lake referred to is Sproat Lake which is on Vancouver Island. The huge oragne flying boats are fire fighting boats or Mars Water Bombers. Vancouver Island is the home of the petroglyphs referred to in the song as well.
- C (2002-2007). Wondering Where The Lions Are (in english). The Cockburn Project,. Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- in a place called Canada West
On Williams Creek they called me green
and Johnny come lately
But, ah, I came from Canada,
I ain't from the old country
- Notes: Williams Creek, British Columbia had a logging industry in the watershed area.
- Source: Young Man from Canada
- Taylor, Barry (1997-2008). Young Man from Canada (in english). Folk Music Pages. Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- In Port Hardy one morning I cast off my lines
The sea was all smooth and the weather just fine
And for Castle Rock I was headed away
Where the coho flash silver all over the bay
- Notes: Port Hardy, British Columbia is located on the north-eastern coast of Vancouver Island.
- Source: Where the Coho Flash Silver
- Arntzen, Lloyd (1997-2008). DigiTrad: Where the Coho Flash Silver (in english). Folk Music Pages. Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Leaving B.C.
A thousand faces without names
Unknown souls all look the same
A thousand people pass me by
In this city of dreams my soul
- Source: Leaving B.C. Lyrics by The Unknownn
- . B.C. People Lyrics (in english). Lets Sing It (1998-2008). Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- oh yeah these BC people
oh yeah they make me feel fine
oooo extreme are your seasons
carving beauty as they rest
on through you I feel welcome
in your land, so lush and so fresh
- Source: B.C. People Lyrics by Xavier Rudd
- . B.C. People Lyrics (in english). sing365.com (2000-2007). Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Plus, British Columbia's real nice
This time of year
And when she gets there
She says she'll phone
. The Elected - British Columbia lyrics from Me First album - Song Lyrics (in english). Lyred.com (2002-2006). Retrieved on 2008-01-12.
- Stand with Baillie-Grohman in 1882
on the shoulder of the Purcells gazing
east and north up the Rocky Mountain trench
but bear with his southwest intentions
for the arable flood plain near Creston
he'll sell once reclaimed from the Kootenay's high water
re-routing its headwaters here with a trench of his own
into the Columbia.
- Source: Canal Flats [John Pass] Governor General's Award poet
- Pass, John (2000). Canal Flats / Grand Canal (in english). Poetry by John Pass : Terrain.org. Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environments. Retrieved on 02 10, 2013..
- Notes: Canal Flats is situated at the southern end of Columbia Lake, which is the source of the Columbia River. Creston is located in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia's Purcell Mountain creates the Columbia River Valley or Rocky Mountain Trench. The Kootenay Rockies, are in southeastern British Columbia west of the Purcells
- The flavour is its own reward, like kissing the whole world
at once, rivers, willows, bugs and all, until your swollen
- Source: Many Have Written Poems About Blackberries Stephanie Bolster Governor General's Award poet
- Bolster, Stephanie (1997-2008). Many Have Written Poems About Blackberries (in english). The Fiddlehead #180, Summer 1994;. Canadian Poetry website University of Toronto and University of Toronto Library.. Retrieved on 2008-01-12..
- Notes:The Himalayan blackberry is one of the most popular species which can be found growing wild in British Columbia's forests.
- There's an island up north out in Queen Charlotte Sound
That the trollers know well when they're Prince Rupert bound When the easterly gale scuds the clouds 'cross the sun When the whitecaps come crashin', to God's Pocket they run. title = God's Pocket (song) accessdate = 2011-25-12 author = last = Wright first = Hillel date = 1990-08 work = Westcoast Fisherman Magazine pages = 1 language = english
- "Notes": God's Pocket is a protected harbor on Hirst Island in Queen Charlotte Strait (but "Sound" rhymes with "bound"). Prince Rupert is a city in norther British Columbia and a major fishing harbour. Queen Charlotte Sound lies north of Queen Charlotte Strait and south of Hecate Strait. Submitted by Hillel Wright.
- I wanted to be... a lumberjack!
Leaping from tree to tree, as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia.
The Giant Redwood. The Larch. The Fir! The mighty Scots Pine!
- Source: Lumberjack Song lyrics by Monty Python
- Python, Monty. Monty Python - (Complete)Lumberjack Song lyrics (in english). Sing365 Lyrics. Retrieved on 2008-01-14..
- The coast of British Columbia was one of the three chief centers of aboriginal America.
- Source: Ellsworth Huntington
- This land is your land, this land is my land
From Bonavista to Vancouver Island
- Emily Carr, British Columbia, Canadian artist and writer.
- Canada Quotes
- Vancouver British Columbia Quotes