Saskatchewan is a prairie province in Canada, which has an area of 588,276.09 square kilometres (227,134.67 sq mi) and a population of 1,003,299 (according to 2007 estimates), mostly living in the southern half of the province. Of these, 202,340 live in the province's largest city, Saskatoon, while 179,246 live in the provincial capital, Regina. Other major cities, in order of size, are Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Yorkton, Swift Current, and North Battleford. The province's name comes from the Saskatchewan River, whose name comes from its Cree designation: kisiskāciwani-sīpiy, meaning "swift flowing river."
City and Colour
- Brent: Want me to fill it up?
- Man: Sure. You know I've never driven across Saskatchewan before.
- Brent: Well, you still haven't really. About halfway to go yet.
- Man: Sure is flat.
- Brent: How do you mean?
- Man: You know, flat. Nothing to see.
- Brent: What do you mean, like topographically? Hey Hank, this guy says Saskatchewan is flat.
- Hank: How do you mean?
- Brent: Topographically, I guess. He says there's nothin' to see.
- Hank: There's lots to see. There's nothin' to block your view.
- Brent: There's lots to see. Nothin' to block your view. Like the mountains back there. They're uh... Well, what the hell? I could've sworn there was a big mountain range back there. Juttin' up into the sky all purple and majestic. I must be thinkin' of a postcard I saw or somethin'. Hey, it is kinda flat, thanks for pointin' that out.
- Man: You guys always this sarcastic?
- Brent: Nothin' else to do.
Les Trois Accords
- Tu m'a pris ma femme
- À ma crisser là
- Pour un gars d'Regina
- Source-Les Trois Accords' song "Saskatchewan"
- Toronto does the least with the most, but Regina does the most with the least.
- Source- Pierre Burton
The Arrogant Worms
- And it's a heave (ho!) hi (ho!), coming down the plains
- Stealing wheat and barley and all the other grains
- And it's a ho (hey!) hi (hey!), farmers bar yer doors
- When you see the Jolly Roger on Regina's mighty shores
- Source- Arrogant Worms' song "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate"
The Guess Who
- Moose Jaw saw a few, Moosomin too
- Runnin' back to Saskatoon
- Red Deer, Terrace, Hanna, Medicine Hat
- Sing another prairie tune
The Tragically Hip
- Sundown in the Paris of the Prairies
Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Ryan: Have you ever heard of a place called Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan?
- Colin: Isn't that right beside Left... Noob?
- Source- Questions Only Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Saskatchewan is much like Texas — except it's more friendly to the United States
- Source- Attributed to Adlai Stevenson
- We took off at sunset, on a line toward the mountains of Saskatchewan, for Kit a magical land beyond the reach of the law.
- Source- Holly Sargis Badlands
- If a lass in Michigan can, If an ass in Astrakhan can, If a bass in the Saskatchewan can, Baby, you can can-can too.
- Source- Cole Porter's song "Can Can"
- All flights are either coming from or going to Saskatoon, Canada
- Source- David Letterman's David Letterman's Book of Top Ten Lists and Zesty Lo-Cal Chicken Recipes
- Notes- From the list "Top Ten signs you are at a bad airport"
Edward VIII of the United Kingdom
- Qu'Appelle Valley, Saskatchewan, Canadian Indians: "I've told you what a foul decadent lazy crowd they are & what I think of them !! But this camp is pitched right inside an Indian reserve . . . & we have hundreds of the mouldy local tribe camped around us" (6 October 1919)
- Source- Edward VIII of Great Britain from Godfrey, Letters (6 October 1919)
Jackson C. Frank
- I rolled over the Northlands 'til I came to Saskatchewan.
- Source-Jackson C. Frank's song "Tumble in the Wind"
- I left a little town
- A little south of Hudson Bay
- I couldn't find a thing, to make a rounder want to stay
- I fought the wind across the baren waste in the crystal doom
- Going for to marry the girl in Saskatoon
- The Land of Rape and Honey
- Movin' right along, hey, L.A., where've you gone?
- Send someone to fetch us, we're in Saskatchewan.
Mystery Science Theater 3000
- [Rowsdower and Troy have lost the pursuing cultists.]
- Zap Rowsdower: Do you have any idea of what kind of people you're dealing with?
- Crow [as Rowsdower]: They're from Saskatchewan!
- Troy: No.
- Zap Rowsdower: It's a cult.
- Servo [as Rowsdower]: They worship blue oysters.
- Zap Rowsdower: They want to rule the world.
- Troy: How do you know?
- Zap Rowsdower: I've been around, kid.
- Crow [as Rowsdower]: I've been a square kid.
- Source- "The Final Sacrifice" Mystery Science Theater 3000
- Well I hear it's cold up in Saskatoon but it couldn't be colder than our bedroom.
- Source- Sammy Kershaw's song "Anywhere But Here"
- In the winter time when we can't farm
- Me and Junny-Mae sit arm in arm
- By a big ole fire and honeymoon
- A little bit south of Saskatoon
- Saskatoon is in the room
- Source- Soul Coughing's song "Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago"
- The Lord said "Let there be wheat" and Saskatchewan was born.
- Source- Stephen Leacokck's My Discovery of America, 1937
- I can tell the difference between margarine and butter, I can say Saskatchewan without starting to stutter.
- Source- The Proclaimers' song "Cap in Hand"
- He was born in Big Beaver by the borderline.
"Weird Al" Yankovic
- They dream of driving a Zamboni all over Saskatchewan.
- Saskatchewan - Les Trois Accords song lyrics (in english). Gros Mammouth Album. LyricsKeeper.com (2004). Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- Last Saskatchewan Pirate - Arrogant Worms (Lyrics and Chords) (in english). Gunther Anderson's Home Page (2004). Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- RUNNIN' BACK TO SASKATOON (in english). International Lyrics Playground (2004). Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- Charlotte Gainsbourg – AF607105 – Music at Last.fm (in english) (2004). Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- Barber, David (July 9, 2006). 'Cole Porter: Selected Lyrics' - The New York Times Book Review ... (in english). Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- Cash, Johnny. Johnny Cash - Girl In Saskatoon LYRICS (in english). Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- Wolanski, Coreen. Exclaim! Canada's Music Authority (in english). Ministry Nothing Exceeds Like Excess. Exclaim! TV • Home & Latest Issue. Retrieved on 2008-03-01.
- Movin Right Along Music and Lyrics (in english). Retrieved on 2008-03-07.