Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fasting consists of willingly abstaining from some or all food, drink, or both, for some period of time. Most of the world's religions promote some sort of fasting on certain occasions.
- Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects one’s flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, scatters the clouds of concupiscence, quenches the fire of lust, and kindles the true light of chastity.
- Augustine, On Prayer and Fasting.
- Fasting is the key which unlocks the Nature's storehouse of Energy.. Fasting rewards you with increased Energy. Each time you fast, you will make your mind stronger, and more positive. you will eliminate fear and worry... Fasting helps you to a higher life. Fasting elevates the soul, the mind, and body... By fasting you can create the person you have always longed to be. That is, if you demand only the best life can offer... When your body is cleansed by fasting and you are living a natural health life, you will discover that you feel wonderful all the time. This is because Nature intended man to be a happy, well-balanced person, free of fears, of frustrations, stresses and strains.
- Paul C. Bragg, The Miracle of Fasting.
- The experience of knowing the power of God that comes through the fasting. Fasting and prayer have been a gateway through which God has done supernatural things.
- Bill Bright, The Power of Prayer and Fasting.
- Fasting is, without any doubt, the most effective biological method of treatment. It is the operation without surgery.
- Otto Buchinger, Das Heilfasten.
- We were with the Prophet while we were young and had no wealth whatever. So Allah's Apostle said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry, should marry...and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power.
- I can prove to anybody on his own body there can exist one natural remedy, i.e. fasting and fruit-diet.. Fasting is the master key to mental and spiritual unfoldment and evolution.
- Arnold Ehret, Rational Fasting.
- Do not forget that every seventh day is holy and consecrated to God. On six days feed your body with the gifts of the Earthly Mother, but on the seventh day sanctify your body for your Heavenly Father. On the seventh day do not eat any earthly food [...] Renew yourself and fast.. Go by yourself and fast alone and show your fast to no man. The living God shall see it and great shall be your reward. Fast till Beelzebub and all his evils depart from you, and all the angels of our Earthly Mother come and serve you [...] If you will that the living God's word and his power may enter you, defile not your body and your spirit, for the body is the temple of God.
- Essene Gospel of Peace .
- The goal of fasting is inner unity. This means hearing, but not with the ear; hearing, but not with the understanding; it is hearing with the spirit, with your whole being. The hearing that is only in the ears is one thing. The hearing of the understanding is another, but the hearing of the spirit is not limited to any one faculty, to the ear, or to the mind. Hence, it demands the emptiness of the faculties, and when the faculties are empty, then your whole being listens. There is then a direct grasp of what is right before you that can never be heard with the ear or understood with the mind. Fasting of the heart empties the faculties, frees you from limitations and from preoccupations.
- Thomas Merton, The Living Bread
- Nevertheless the children of God were commanded that they should gather themselves together oft, and join in fasting and mighty prayer in behalf of the welfare of the souls of those who knew not God.
- Fasting kills the desire of the self and the appetite of greed, and from it comes purity of the heart, purification of the limbs, cultivation of the inner and the outer being, thankfulness for blessings, charity to the poor, increase of humble supplication, humility, weeping and most of the ways of seeking refuge in Allah.
- Ja'far al-Sadiq, The Lantern of the Path, Fasting, Translated by: Fadhlallah Haeri. Ansariyan Publications.
- Prescribed for you is the Fast, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may deserve God's protection (against the temptations of your carnal soul) and attain piety.
- I have not only found good health, but perfect health; I have found a new state of being, a potentiality of life; a sense of lightness and cleanness and joyfulness, such as I did not know could exist in the human body.
- Upton Sinclair, The Fasting Cure.
- Fasting possesses great power. If practiced with the right intention, it makes one a friend of God.
- Tertullian, Works by Tertullian, On Fasting.
- Unless ye fast from the world, ye shall not find the Sovereignty; unless ye keep the entire week as Sabbath, ye shall not behold the Father.
- Gospel of Thomas 27.
- So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and He answered our prayer.
- Ezra 8:23.
- Even now - declares the LORD - return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning. Rend your heart and not your garments.
- Joel 2:12-13.
- Is this the fast I have chosen? A day for a person to afflict the soul, to bow the head like a reed and be covered in sackcloth and ashes—Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the Eternal? Is not this the fast I have chosen: To loosen the chains of evil, to undo the bonds of oppression, to free the oppressed, to break every yoke. Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, to bring the homeless poor into your home? When you see the naked, clothe him and from your own flesh never hide. Then shall your light burst out like the dawn...
- Then was Jesus led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. He had fasted forty days and forty nights.
- Matthew 4,1-2.
- When you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
- Matthew 6:17-18.
- But this kind (demon) does not go out except by prayer and fasting
- Matthew 17:21.