Friends (season 1)
Friends (1994–2004) was an American sitcom revolving around six 20-30 something friends living in Manhattan.
- 1 The One Where Monica Gets A New Roommate (A.K.A. The Pilot) [1.01]
- 2 The One with the Sonogram at the End [1.02]
- 3 The One with the Thumb [1.03]
- 4 The One with George Stephanopoulos [1.04]
- 5 The One with the East German Laundry Detergent [1.05]
- 6 The One with the Butt [1.06]
- 7 The One with the Blackout [1.07]
- 8 The One Where Nana Dies Twice [1.08]
- 9 The One Where Underdog Gets Away [1.09]
- 10 The One with the Monkey [1.10]
- 11 The One with Mrs. Bing [1.11]
- 12 The One with the Dozen Lasagnas [1.12]
- 13 The One with the Boobies [1.13]
- 14 The One with the Candy Hearts [1.14]
- 15 The One with the Stoned Guy [1.15]
- 16 The One with Two Parts, Part 1 [1.16]
- 17 The One with Two Parts, Part 2 [1.17]
- 18 The One with All the Poker [1.18]
- 19 The One Where the Monkey Gets Away [1.19]
- 20 The One with the Evil Orthodontist [1.20]
- 21 The One with the Fake Monica [1.21]
- 22 The One with the Ick Factor [1.22]
- 23 The One with the Birth [1.23]
- 24 The One Where Rachel Finds Out [1.24]
- [First lines of the series]
- Monica: There's nothing to tell. He's just some guy I work with.
- Joey: C'mon, you're going out with the guy. There's gotta be something wrong with him.
- Chandler: So does he have a hump? A hump and a hairpiece?
- Phoebe: Wait, does he eat chalk? [The others stare, bemused] It's just that I don't want her to go through what I went through with Carl - ohh!
- Monica: Okay, everybody relax. This is not a date. It's just two people going out to dinner, and not having sex.
- Chandler: Sounds like a date to me.
- Ross: You know what the scariest part is? What if there's only one woman for everybody, you know? I mean, what if you get one woman, and that's it? Unfortunately, in my case, it was only one woman for her.
- Joey: What are you talking about? One woman? That's like saying there's only one flavor of ice cream for you. Let me tell you something, Ross. There's lots of flavors out there. There's Rocky Road, and Cookie Dough, and Bing Cherry Vanilla. You could get them with jimmies, or nuts, or whipped cream. This is the best thing that ever happened to you. You got married, you were, what, eight? Welcome back to the world. Grab a spoon.
- Ross: I honestly don't know if I'm hungry or horny.
- Chandler: Stay out of my freezer.
The One with the Sonogram at the End [1.02]
- Monica: What you guys don't understand is, for us, kissing is as important as any part of it.
- Joey: Yeah, right! [the girls just look at him] Serious?
- Phoebe: Oh, yeah.
- Rachel: Everything you need to know is in that first kiss.
- Monica: Absolutely.
- Chandler: I think, for us, kissing is pretty much like an opening act, y'know? I mean, it's like the stand-up comedian you have to sit through before Pink Floyd comes out.
- Ross: Yeah, and it's not that we don't like the comedian, it's just that that's... that's not why we bought the ticket.
- Chandler: You see, the problem is, though, after the concert's over, no matter how great the show was, you girls are always looking for the comedian again. Y'know? I mean, we're in the car, we're fighting traffic... basically, just trying to stay awake.
- Rachel: Yeah, well, word of advice: bring back the comedian. Otherwise next time you're gonna find yourself sitting at home, listening to that album alone.
- Joey: Are we still talking about sex?
- Chandler: [watching TV] I think this is the episode of Three's Company where there's some kind of misunderstanding.
The One with the Thumb [1.03]
- Phoebe: There's five hundred extra dollars in my account.
- Chandler: Oh! Satan's minions at work again.
- Phoebe: Yes, 'cause I have to go down there and deal with them.
- Joey: What are you talking about? Keep it!
- Phoebe: It's not mine! I didn't earn it. If I kept it, it would be like stealing!
- Rachel: Yeah, but if you spent it, it would be like shopping!
- [Phoebe finds something in her can of soda.]
- Ross: A thumb?!
- Joey: Ewwww!
- Phoebe: I know, I know. I opened it up, and there it was, just floating in there, like this tiny little hitch-hiker.
- Chandler: Maybe it's a contest, you know, like, "collect all five."
The One with George Stephanopoulos [1.04]
- Monica: Hey Joey, what would you do if you were omnipotent?
- Joey: Probably kill myself.
- Monica: Excuse me?
- Joey: Hey, if little Joey's dead, then I've got no reason to live.
- Ross: Joey, omnipotent.
- Joey: You are? I'm so sorry.
- [Rachel opens her first paycheck.]
- Rachel: Isn't this exciting! I earned this! I wiped tables for it, I steamed milk for it, and it was totally... [looks at the check] not worth it. Who's FICA? Why's he getting all my money?
The One with the East German Laundry Detergent [1.05]
- Ross: It's amazing, okay? You just reach in there, there's just one little maneuver, and bam, a bra right out the sleeve. All right? As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing a guy can do that even comes close. Am I right?
- Rachel: Come on! You guys can pee standing up.
- Chandler: We can? All right, I'm trying that.
- Joey: You know what blows my mind? Women can see breasts anytime they want, you just look down and there they are! How you get any work done is beyond me.
- Phoebe: You know what I don't get? The way guys can do so many mean things and, like, not even care.
- [Long pause]
- Ross: ... Multiple orgasms!
- [Ross takes out his new laundry detergent]
- Rachel: What is that?
- Ross: Überweiss! It's new, it's German, it's extra tough.
The One with the Butt [1.06]
- [The gang watches Joey's performance in Freud!, a local musical.]
- Joey: [in a German accent] Well, Eva, we've done some excellent work here, and I would have to say, your problem is quite clear. [singing] All you want is a dinkle,
What you envy's a schwang,
A thing through which you can tinkle,
Or play with, or simply let hang!
- Monica: What? So you guys don't mind going out with someone else who's going out with someone else?
- Joey: I couldn't do it.
- Monica: Good for you, Joey.
- Joey: When I'm with a woman, I need to know that I'm going out with more people than she is.
The One with the Blackout [1.07]
- Rachel: When he smiled at me, those first three seconds were more exciting than three weeks in Bermuda with Barry.
- Phoebe: Now, did you ride mopeds?... 'cause I heard... oh, I see, it's not about that right now.
- Chandler: You know, on second thought, gum would be perfection.
- Jill Goodacre: [gives him a strange look and a stick of gum]
- Chandler: [thinking] Gum would be perfection. Gum would be perfection. I could have said gum would be nice, could have said I'll have a stick. But no no no no no, for me, gum is perfection. I loathe myself.
The One Where Nana Dies Twice [1.08]
- Aunt Lillian: What's going on?
- Jack Geller: She may have died.
- Aunt Lillian: She may have died?
- Jack Geller: We're looking into it.
- [Chandler’s coworker thinks he’s gay]
- Chandler: What is it about me? Is it my hair?
- Rachel: Yes, it's exactly that, Chandler. It's your hair.
- Phoebe: You have homosexual hair.
The One Where Underdog Gets Away [1.09]
- Ross: Wow, you guys sure have a lot of books about being a lesbian.
- Susan: Yeah, you know, you have to take a course, otherwise they don't let you do it.
The One with the Monkey [1.10]
- Rachel: Hey, do you guys know what you're doing for New Year's?
- [They all hit her with pillows]
- Rachel: Gee, what? What is wrong with New Year's?
- Chandler: Nothing for you, you have Paolo. You don't have to face the horrible pressures of this holiday: desperate scramble to find anything with lips just so you can have someone to kiss when the ball drops! Man, I'm talking loud!
- Rachel: Well, for your information, Paolo is gonna be in Rome this New Year, so I'll be just as pathetic as the rest of you.
- Phoebe: Yeah, you wish!
- Chandler: Hey, that monkey's got a Ross on his ass!
The One with Mrs. Bing [1.11]
- [Rachel hands out copies of her steamy romance novel draft to the gang.]
- Rachel: Oh, and — and on page 2, he's not reaching for her heaving beasts.
- Monica: What's a niffle?
- Joey: You can usually find them on the heaving beasts.
- Rachel: All right, all right, all right. So I'm not a great typist…
- Phoebe: I just got to the part about "her public hair."
- [Rachel immediately takes the copies out of everyone's hands]
- Chandler: What are you guys doing out here?
- Ross: Uh... uh... Well, Joey and I had discussed getting in an early morning racquetball game. But, um, apparently, somebody overslept.
- Joey: Yeah, well, you don't have your racket.
- Ross: No, no I don't, because it's being restrung. Somebody was supposed to bring me one.
- Joey: Yeah, well you didn't call and leave your grip size.
- Chandler: You guys spend way too much time together.
The One with the Dozen Lasagnas [1.12]
- Joey: Ross, did you really read all these baby books?
- Ross: Yup! You could plunk me down in the middle of any woman's uterus, no compass, and I can find my way out of there like [snaps fingers] that.
- [Chandler and Joey are shopping for a new table]
- Joey: Will you pick one? Just pick one. Here! How about that one?
- Chandler: That's patio furniture.
- Joey: So what? Like people are gonna come in and think "Uh-oh, I'm outside again!"
The One with the Boobies [1.13]
- Roger: Maybe you wanted your marriage with Carol to fail.
- Ross: No! Why would I... why? No. Why?
- Roger: Siblings. You fail at something so your sibling will look better in the eyes of your parents.
- Ross: I don't think that Monica's failures...
- Monica: Oh, so I'm a failure now, is that it? I'm a bigger failure than you, is that right?
- Ross: Hey, I married a lesbian to make you look good.
- Rachel: Why can't parents just stay parents? You know? Why do they have to become people?
The One with the Candy Hearts [1.14]
- Janice: I brought you something.
- Chandler: Is it loaded?
- Chandler: [Preparing to break up with Janice for the third time] There's no easy way to say this. At least, there's no new way for me to say this.
The One with the Stoned Guy [1.15]
- Chandler: Can you see my nipples through this shirt?
- Rachel: No. But don't worry, I'm sure they're still there.
- Ross: Hey guys, does anybody know a good date place in the neighborhood?
- Joey: How about Tony's? If you can finish a 32-ounce steak, it's free.
- Ross: Hey, does anyone know a good place if you're not dating a puma?
The One with Two Parts, Part 1 [1.16]
- Phoebe: [about why she and her twin sister Ursula don't get along] It’s mostly just dumb sister stuff, you know. I mean, like, everyone always thought of her as the pretty one, you know... Oh, oh, she was the first one to start walking. Even though I did it, later that same day. But to my parents, by then it was like, "Yeah, right, so what else is new?"
- [At the Lamaze class, mother-to-be Carol panics after seeing a videotaped birth.]
- Ross: Everything's going to be all right.
- Carol: What do you know?! No one's going up to you and saying, "Hi! Is that your nostril? Mind if we push this POT ROAST THROUGH IT?"
The One with Two Parts, Part 2 [1.17]
- Ross: I had a dream last night where I was playing football with my kid.
- Chandler and Joey: That's nice.
- Ross: No, no. With him. I'm on this field, and they... they hike me the baby. And I know I've gotta do something 'cause the Tampa Bay defense is coming right at me.
- Joey: Tampa Bay's got a terrible team.
- Ross: Right, but it is just me and the baby, so I'm thinkin' they can take us.
- Chandler: Okay, worst case scenario. Say you never feel like a father.
- Ross: Uh-huh.
- Chandler: Say your son never feels connected to you, as one. Say all of his relationships are affected by this.
- Ross: Do you have a point?
- Chandler: You know, you'd think I would.
The One with All the Poker [1.18]
- [The gang is playing poker.]
- Rachel: I will see you... and I'll raise you. What do you say... want to waste another buck?
- Ross: No, not this time. [he folds] So what'd you have?
- Rachel: I'm not telling.
- Ross: Come on, show them to me. [He reaches for her cards. Rachel covers them up]
- Rachel: No!
- Ross: Show them to me!
- Rachel: Get your hands out of there! No!
- Ross: Let me see! Show them!
- Chandler: You know, I've had dates like this.
- Ross: Your money is mine, Green.
- Rachel: Your fly is open, Geller!
The One Where the Monkey Gets Away [1.19]
- Samantha: Do you know anything about fixing radiators?
- Joey: Um, sure! Did you, uh, did you try turning the knob back the other way?
- Samantha: Of course.
- Joey: Oh. Then no.
- [Rachel's ex-fiance Barry just came rushing into Monica's apartment and Ross was preparing to ask her out]
- Barry Farber: Rachel, I can't marry Mindy anymore. I'm still in love with you.
- Ross: We really need to start locking that door!
The One with the Evil Orthodontist [1.20]
- Chandler: I got her machine.
- Joey: Her answering machine?
- Chandler: No. Interestingly enough, her leaf-blower picked up.
- Joey: Mr. Peanut is a better dresser. I mean he's got the monocle, he's got the top hat...
- Phoebe: You know he's gay?
- Ross: I just wanna clarify this: Are you outing Mr. Peanut?
The One with the Fake Monica [1.21]
- Rachel: Monica, would you calm down? The credit card people said that you only have to pay for the stuff that you bought.
- Monica Geller: Still... it's just such reckless spending.
- Ross: I think when someone steals your credit card, they've kind of already thrown caution to the wind.
- Chandler: Wow, what a geek. They spent $69.95 on a Wonder Mop.
- Monica: That was me.
- Joey: My agent thinks I should have a name that's more neutral.
- Chandler: Joey... Switzerland?
The One with the Ick Factor [1.22]
- Ross: I can't believe you two had sex in her dream.
- Chandler: I'm sorry, it was a one-time-thing. I was very drunk and it was someone else's subconscious.
- Chandler: Oh, come on. You told me about the last dream.
- Rachel: No, forget it.
- Chandler: Oh, why not. Was I doing anything particularly... saucy?
- Rachel: All right, fine. Um, you were not the only one there... Joey was there, too.
- Joey: All right!
- Ross: Was there... uh, huh, huh, huh... anybody, anybody else there?
- Rachel: No.
- Ross: You're sure? Nobody uh, handed out, uh, mints or anything?
- Rachel: No, it was just the three of us.
- Ross: Huh!
- Joey: So, tell me. Was it, like, you and Chandler, and then you and me, or you and me and Chandler?
- Rachel [laughing]: You know what?
- Joey [laughing]: What?
- Rachel [laughing]: There were times when it wasn't even me.
- [Chandler and Joey laugh until they look at each other, stopping suddenly]
- Phoebe: That is so sweet, you guys. [hugs them]
The One with the Birth [1.23]
- Monica Geller: I wanna baby!
- Chandler: You'll get one.
- Monica: Oh really, when?
- Chandler: All right. I'll tell you what. When we're 40, if neither one of us are married, what do you say you and I get together and have one?
- Monica: Why won't I be married when I'm 40?
- Chandler: Oh, no, no. I just meant hypothetically.
- Monica: Okay, hypothetically, why won't I be married when I'm 40?
- Chandler: Uh... Uh....
- Monica: What is it, is there something fundamentally un-marry-able about me? Well?
- Chandler: This parachute is a knapsack!
- Ross: Dammit! This is all your fault! This was supposed to be like the greatest day of my life, you know. My son is being born and... I should be in there, you know. Instead I'm stuck in a closet with you.
- Susan: The woman I love is having a baby today, I've been waiting for this just as much as you have.
- Ross: No, believe me, no one has been waiting for this just as much as I have. Okay, and you know what the funny thing is? When this thing is over, you get to go home with the baby, okay? Where does that leave me?
- Susan: You get to be the baby's father. Everyone knows who you are. And who am I? There's Fathers Day, there's Mothers Day, there's no Lesbian Lover Day.
- Ross: Everyday is Lesbian Lover Day!
The One Where Rachel Finds Out [1.24]
- Chandler: Men are here.
- Joey: We make fire. Cook meat.
- Chandler: Then put out fire by peeing. No get invited back.
- Phoebe: [regarding Ross' birthday gift to Rachel] I can't believe he got you that! It must've cost him a fortune!
- Chandler: Oh, come on. Ross? Remember back in college when he fell in love with Carol and got her that ridiculously expensive crystal duck?
- Rachel: [stunned] What did you just say?
- Chandler: [mortified pause] Crystal duck.
- Rachel: No, no, the love part.
- Chandler: [Hyperventilating] Flennen!
- Rachel: Oh, my...!
- Chandler: [rubbing his temples] Oh, no, no, no!
- Joey: That's good, just keep rubbing your head. That'll turn back time.