Jacob Rees-Mogg (born 24 May 1969) is a British Conservative backbench politician. He has been a Member of Parliament since 2010. Previously he worked in banking in the City of London and Hong Kong, and is a director of Somerset Capital Management, a hedge fund management company. He was educated at Eton and Oxford.
- Pakistanis, living in England? They're not in a class by nature of where they've come from.
- I'm a man of the people. Vox populi, vox dei.
- Interviewed by the BBC as part of the programme Posh and Posher: Why Public School Boys Run Britain (19 January 2011)
- We could have two referendums. As it happens it might make more sense to have the second referendum after the renegotiation is completed.
- Basically I want people to be able to get on with their lives without the government bossing them about. I’m all in favour of nannies but not the nanny state.
- Interviewed by the Guardian (2 March 2012)
- I think the idea of a second referendum is perfectly ridiculous.
- Interviewed on LBC radio having got the result he wanted (1 October 2018)
Quotes about Rees-Mogg
- His manners are perfumed, but his opinions are poison. Rees-Mogg is quite simply an unfailing, unbending, unrelenting reactionary.
- Matthew Parris, "Artful Rees-Mogg is anything but a joke", The Times (12 August 2017)