Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Spyro: Year of the Dragon is a platform game developed by Insomniac Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation video game console. The game was released in North America on October 23, 2000 and in Europe on November 10, 2000. Year of the Dragon is the third installment in the Spyro series and the last Spyro game to be released for the PlayStation.
- 1 Hunter
- 2 Bianca
- 3 The Sorceress
- 4 Moneybags
- 5 Mountain Goats
- 6 Sheila
- 7 Snappy the Seal
- 8 Sgt. Byrd
- 9 Bentley
- 10 Bartholomew
- 11 Agent 9
- 12 Locations
- 13 Dialogue
- 14 See also
- 15 External links
- Yo, Spyro! I just found one of those portal thingamajigs that leads to a different world! But you'll have to glide to get across to it. Press the X button to jump, then press the X button again while you're in the air to glide. Just follow me!
- To get the best glide, press the X button at the very top of your jump.
- I saw something shiny in that cave over there. Let's go check it out. You can get there by hovering. To hover, press the triangle button at the end of your glide.
- To get the best glide distance, press the X button while walking forward, then press it again at the top of your jump. Finally, press the triangle button just before you get to the landing to hover.
- Oh, I almost forgot! I found this egg.
- There's definitely something shiny at the bottom of this hole. I was about to jump down there, but I think I hear running water, and I hate to get wet. It's a cat thing.
- Say! Is it just me or is she kinda cute when shes angry?
- Sheesh I can't believe you beat me you must have been all this time looking for eggs hey speaking of which one of those crabs was guarding this one.
- I had to help Spyro rescue the eggs.
- The dragons used to live here?
- Maybe I could convince the dragons to come back if you let me go.
"Hi Bianca did you bring me any more food? I'm starving."
"I don't know, you sorceress types can be sneaky."
"Wait a minute why should I trust you this could be another trap!?"
"We should help her."
"Yeah but she was aiming at you."
"Hey why'd you have to scare her off?"
"Thanks! Do you have any chips?"
- So, you're the one in charge of rescuing the eggs, huh? ...hahahaha... How sad! Look here, dragon, if you know what's good for you, you'll turn around and crawl back up that hole you came through! Those eggs belong to us now, and I've hidden them in places you'll never find in a thousand years! Besides, even if you could find an egg, our expertly trained armies will dispose of you and take it back. Do I make myself clear? If I find you here again, I'm going to be very angry! And you won't like me when I'm angry!
- I've warned you already; this place isn't safe for small dragons and... pussycats.
- Try looking after this!
- Okay, dragon. You've managed to survive longer than I expected, but you haven't the slightest idea of what sort of dangers lie ahead of you. I suggest you grab your cat friend and whatever eggs you found and hightail it out of here. I'm telling this for your own good, you know.
- Listen to me, dragon... Spyro... this is serious now. The Sorceress is planning a trap for you and if she catches you... believe me, you don't want to know what she's gonna do. Look, I promise to take good care of the rest of the eggs. I mean it, just take Hunter and go back home before... before... I can't say it, just go!
- Spyro, I know you don't trust me, but I want to help you stop the Sorceress. There's a way to open a hidden portal to her lair but it'll take some very strong magic. If you can find more of the dragon eggs I think my magic will be strong enough to open the portal. I'll come find you when you have enough eggs, okay?
- You did it Spyro! You've found enough of the dragon eggs for me to unlock the portal. Once I've opened it you can confront the Sorceress whenever you're ready. But be careful... she'll be expecting you.
- Hey, you finally made it, Spyro! Hunter was a little worried about you when you went off to fight the Sorceress, but I always knew you'd beat her.
- This place is where the Sorceress kept all her treasure, but after she was defeated, a bunch of thieves came and stole it. If you can catch the thieves, you're more than welcome to keep the treasure.
- Hello, I...thought you might be hungry.
- I'm sorry this happened... I tried to warn you.
- You just don't understand! If we don't bring dragons back to this world soon, all our magic will be lost.
- Yes. This their original home. But a long long time ago the Sorceress banished them to the other side of the world. She didn't realize the dragons were the source of all our magic.
- There's no time for that Hunter! We have to stop the Sorceress: she's going to kill all the dragon hatchlings.
- You're in a cage, you furry numbskull! How can I trap you by letting you out?
- I can look after myself.
- Would you like me to show you?
- Huh. I'll deal with you later.
- You said just keeping them in our world was enough! You never said you had to kill them!
- You're terrible! I can't believe I ever listened to you!
- I'm sorry... I can't.
- Uh, thanks.
- I don't know how she did it, Spyro, but it seems the Sorceress had, somehow, survived the last battle! She's been waiting here all this time, saving up her magic to destroy you!
- Your best chance to defeat her is to borrow my flying saucer. I've cast some spells on it to give it extra firepower, and unlimited flying time. You've come this far, Spyro! I know you can beat her!
- Excellent. Maybe you will amount to something after all. Now, go guard the tunnels. Stop anyone from coming through!
- Listen carefully, you stupid girl! I'm going to ask you one more time - why haven't you disposed of that infernal dragon?!
- What did you think I was going to do with all those dragons? Open a zoo?
- Spyro! My, my, how funny to see you here. Why, I haven't seen you since we defeated Ripto in Avalar. ..hehe.. Well, my business went into a slump after you left, so I came here and struck up a nice deal with the local Sorceress. Lovely woman, she is. Seems to be rather fond of dragons, too.
- I'm getting paid a fortune to keep Sheila the Kangaroo locked up. ..hehe.. The pesky animal must've been causing a lot of trouble to that poor old Sorceress. I suppose I could "accidentally" let the kangaroo escape if you were to pay me say, uh... 'a small fee'?
- The Sorceress has asked me to guard Sheila the Kangaroo. I suppose if you had a bit more money, I'd be willing to let her escape, then you can keep her for a pet, or something...
- If you choose 'Sure.': "Ah, Spyro, I love your sweet naivete. Your kind-hearted nature might be your downfall someday, but for the time being, it's making me rich."
- If you choose 'No thanks.': "Don't worry, Spyro. Sheila won't stay in jail forever. The Sorceress is thinking about having her executed next Thursday."
- Ahh, my good friend, Spyro. The Sorceress caught this naughty bird letting off rockets in her fireworks factory but I'll be willing to release provided you pay his outstanding fines.
- Don't worry, Spyro. I won't be needing anymore of your money now. Now, don't look so surprised I found one of the dragon eggs and I'm going to sell it for a fortune back in Avalar. Err... uh-oh, why are you looking at me like that? I, err.. heh heh... I've to be going now. Uh, toodles."
- [panting] Drat! [panting] Double drat! [panting] Drat, drat, drat, drat, drat, drat, drat! Oh, I never knew dragons were so fast. That's it, I give up. I'm retiring to Spooky Swamp to become a haiku poet.
"Ahh, home at last. Here, I was saving this to make an omelet, but I think you deserve it more."
"You see that Rhynoc guy up ahead? He's, still, mad at us for hanging his underpants on top of this tree! Heehee... We'll just stand here, while you give him a swift kick!"
"Last time we tried to get past this moose, he knocked Billy clean through a wall! If you don't mind, we'll just stay over here, while you give him a good kicking!"
"Hey, Sheila, let's play a joke! Take this egg, and smash it on Billy's house, okay? I need to get him back for the last time he butted me off the cliff!"
- Hey, Spyro! They're Rhynocs everywhere! Maybe I can find some peace and quiet at the top of the tower.
- Hi, Spyro. If you bring someone back from each of the 5 worlds, we'll have enough weight to pull down this balloon for you.
- Let's head on over to the balloon!
- This balloon will take you to a land closer to the Sorceress, Spyro. You can also use it to come back here whenever you want to.
"Thanks for freeing me. Why don't you come visit me in my homeworld."
"Thanks again, Spyro! Now I have to find out what that nasty Sorceress has done to our home while I was locked up."
"I better go check on those billy goats again. Last time I left them alone, they ate all the shingles off the roof."
"I still haven't finished getting all the billy goats home yet."
"I'll be back as soon as I get all 3 billy goats home."
"Whoo! That was fun! I tell you, Spyro, kicking Rhynoc butt just never gets old!"
"Well, I'm off to clean off the mess those Rhynocs left behind."
"Goodbye, Spyro! I'm sure I'll see you a round."
"Let's head on over to the balloon!"
"The balloon's all ready, sir! Just jump on!"
"You dragons used to rule this entire world, you know. Then all of a sudden, you left."
Snappy the Seal
"I think something is draining the magic out of the world. They say things have been going downhill ever since the dragons left here a thousand years ago."
"Sgt. Byrd; 90068. Awaiting orders, sir!"
"Why, you brazenly avaricious, duplicitous, larcenous ursine!"
- (if Bentley is standing in his walking path) Hey, you're in the way! Move it!
- Hey, bro! It'd be really cool if you could smash that boulder! A swift smack should do the trick!
- If you use your spin move to deflect the snowball into the gong, I'm betting we could make the roof cave in!
- It took me forever to train those seals to throw snowballs! Now, they've gone, and turned on me!
- Aww, no! Another seal! And, this one looks really mean!
- Another gong! Great! I'll bet we can start an avalanche with this one!
- A stinkin' Rhynoc has blocked the way with this box! It couldn't be a problem for you to just push it out of the way, though.
- Hey, brainiac! You're supposed to be smart! Why don't you try shoving those blocks around to bridge that gap?
- Thanks, bro! Here's a little something for your rock collection!
- Hey! This isn't my ball! It's just another stupid egg!
- That dumb yeti took my ball! I told him to give it back, or you'd kick his lousy butt, but he wouldn't listen!
- I knew you'd do it! Go, and show him not to mess with us! Remember to block his high punches, and hit him low, when he tries to block!
- You lost? But, how am I going to get my ball back? You've got to try again!
- You should go back, and kick his butt again! Make him give my ball back!
- This time, it will be a 3 round match, and when you win, don't let him set you off with a stupid egg!
- You lost! Oh, some brother you are! I'm never going to see my ball again, am I?
- A Rhynoc! Oh! Let me at him! You wanna piece of me, Rhynoc boy! Eat Laser, punk!"
Councelor George: Oh my, oh my! Can you help us? Hordes of ferocious Rhynocs have overrun our town and kidnapped the Mayor!
- Are you a dragon? I never believed you really existed!
- Would you like a chicken sandwich? They're very good.
- Those pesky Rhynocs are back again, but I'm sure you'll soon sort them out.
Citizen Paulus: Let me catch my breath and I'll kick that other guy's butt!
- We showed those 2 bullies! If they haven't outnumbered me 2 to 1, I'd have finished them off ages ago.
- Have you seen any giant chickens around here?
Citizen Horace: Whoo!! I'm dizzy!
- Thanks for the help, but I think I would have worn him down in a minute.
- Have you seen any of our giant chickens? The Rhynocs have been trying to eat them all.
- Look! A chicken turned up! I hope it's not the only one left.
Mayor Leo: Thank you for rescuing my town! As mayor, I award you one of our famous giant chicken eggs.
- I'm sorry, that is the ugliest chicken I've ever seen!
Marco: Alas, I have lost my love, guarded by evil Rhynocs at the top of yonder tower. Can you rescue her for me?
Rapunzel: What!? Marco sent you here? I got a restraining order against him!
- If you see Marco, please tell him I've moved out.
Sheila: Hey Spyro, there are Rhynocs everywhere! Maybe I can find some peace and quiet at the top of the tower.
Hunter: Hi Spyro! I found this gladiator training arena, and it makes a pretty cool skatepark! Care for a test of your boarding skills?
- Are you ready for a challenge now?
- I bet you can't catch all fifteen of the lizards running around here. Just come back if you want some boarding tips from the master.
- Yeah, maybe you better practice a bit first. Just come back here if you're up for a challenge.
- Having trouble? If you use the X button to jump off the ramps, you'll get extra height and distance.
- Got all the lizards yet? If you're having trouble catching them, don't be afraid to use your flame breath while on the skateboard.
- Hey, that was great! And while you were boarding, I found this in a lizard burrow.
- Now that you've mastered the basics, let's see you do some stunts. Try using the X or triangle button to jump off ramps and turn in the air.
- This is the most fun I've had since we chased King Flippy on the manta ray!
- Alright, if you can catch all the lizards without wiping out AND before time runs out, I might be able to scrounge up another egg. It's not gonna be easy though.
- If you wanna try to catch those lizards, I'll start the clock now.
- Go get 'em, Spyro!
- Well, whenever you're ready, come and talk to me.
- Aww, too bad. Maybe you'll do better this time.
- Whoa, that was sweet! And look, there was another egg in the lizard burrow.
- You can go for the course record now if you want. Whenever you hop on a skateboard, a timer will start. Score as many points as you can until the timer expires or you wipe out. Good luck!
Zoe: Hi Spyro! Each time a fairy zaps you like this...
- ...That means your progress is saved. If you get into trouble, you'll return to the last place you got zapped.
- This Rhynoc is too big to charge. You'll have to flame him using the circle button.
Nimbus: The Rhynocs have shut down our cloud generator, and I'll never see a rainbow again.
- You'd think the Sorceress would want more rain after what the sun has done to her skin.
Cirrus: If my wings were big and strong like yours, I can easily glide across here.
Fluffy: Oh, you activated the bellows? Maybe I can get the cloud generator working again.
- The Rhynocs must have been using this thing to clog up the cloud generator...
Cumulus: Our sun has gone out. We can make a new one with our lava fusion cauldron and three sun seeds, but they keep burning out before we can get them into the pot.
- Step on the switch to get a fresh sun seed and keep flaming it until you get it into the pot.
- If you can't keep up with the sun seed, remember, you can always hold down the square button to charge.
- Now that's what I call a sun! Here, you can have this last sun seed as a souvenir. I think it might be a dud, though...
Stratus: We usually wake up our rain cloud at the crack of dawn, but these mischievous spirits are stopping our bells from ringing.
- Do you want this doodad? It fell out of the belfry.
Moneybags: Well, well, if it isn't my favorite dragon... The Sorceress has put me in charge of guarding these bellows. However, I suppose I might look the other way if I was distracted by counting gems...
- Ooh, yes! Precious, precious gems! Well then Spyro, you can now use the bellows any time you wish. Best of luck on your little egg hunt!
- What!? No? What else are you going to do with all those gems? Buy flying lessons? heh heh... That was a good one.
- Sorry, Spyro, it is my sworn duty to make certain no one crosses these bellows, and you know perfectly well that nothing can ever sway me from obeying my sworn duty, that is... until you have a few more gems...
- I haven't made such easy money since the Sorceress bought that mayonnaise for sun screen.
Zoe: The metal armor those enemies are wearing protects them from your dragon flame. If you hold down the square button, you can defeat them with your charge attack.
- Remember, to get your longest glide, press the X button at the very top of your jump, and use the triangle button to hover at the end of your jump.
Sheila: Thanks again, Spyro! Now I have to find out what that nasty Sorceress has done to my home while I was locked up.
- I still haven't finished getting all the billy goats home yet.
- I'll be back as soon as I get all three billy goats home.
- Whoo, that was fun! I tell you Spyro, kicking Rhynoc butt just never gets old!
- Well, I'm off to clean up the mess those Rhynocs left behind.
- Goodbye, Spyro! I'm sure I'll see you around!
- I'd better go check on those billy goats again. Last time I left them alone, they ate all the shingles off the roof.
Billy the Mountain Goat: Hiya, Sheila! While you were gone, a bunch of Rhynocs kicked us out of our houses! It's okay though. Bobby, Pete and I are working on a clever plan to take them back!
- Follow Bobby and Pete up there using your air hop. It's easy, just press the X button again at the top of your jump.
- You see that Rhynoc guy up ahead? He's still mad at us for hanging his underpants on top of this tree! hee hee hee... We'll just wait over here while you give him a swift kick.
- Ahh, home at last! Here, I was saving this to make an omelet, but I think you deserve it more.
Pete the Mountain Goat
- You can get up really steep cliffs like this one with your double jump! Press the X button to jump and press it again exactly when you hit the ground to do the double jump. Once you've mastered it, you can go anywhere you want!
- Last time we tried to get past this moose, he knocked Billy lean through a wall! If you don't mind, we'll just hang out here while you give him a good kicking.
- This next guy is a wuss! You go ahead and take gim out! We'll get your back.
- Don't worry, I'll just keep kicking this rock until it breaks.
- Hey Sheila, let's play a joke. Take this egg and smash it at Billy's house, okay? I need to get him back for the last time he butted me off the cliff.
Bobby the Mountain Goat: Those Rhynocs have taken over! There'll be no stopping them unless we can smash their huts! Their huts are too big to smash with your kick attack, though. Try using your stomp attack to smash them instead. I'll confuse them with taunting, while you stomp the huts, okay?
- You remember how to stop, don'tcha? Just jump and press the triangle button in the air.
- I think my taunting is wearing them down! hee hee hee... Remember, just jump and press the triangle button to stomp those huts!
- Thanks for the help, Sheila! You can have this egg I found in my house.
Clay: Rhynocs are running rampant around here, but I can't get anyone out of the Tiki Lodge long enough to do anything about it!
- Well, it looks like it's just you and me. I'll keep a look out while you sort out the Rhynocs.
Rocky: Here, take this egg. They were giving them away at the Tiki Lodge last night.
Stoney: Are you the dragon looking for all those eggs? Because I saw a shifty looking character with one over there...
- Hey, there goes another one! He was really fast. Maybe if I activate the supercharge, you might be able to catch him.
- You should catch that thief before he steals something valuable.
- Those guys oughta be locked up!
Shale: I'm playing a game of hide and seek with my friends. If I can't find where they've hidden their heads, they won't let me join the Tiki Lodge. Help me put them back together and I'll make you an honorary member.
- When you find a head, land on top of it to pick it up, then fly it over to an idol body to put it back together.
- When you pick up a tiki head, fly over to any body and use the square button to drop the tiki head.
- Take this egg as a sign of your honorary membership in the Lodge.
- Well that's never happened before. I hope it's not a bad omen...
Sgt. Byrd: Hello Spyro! I'm just off to the Tiki Lodge for some R and R.
Moneybags: Spyro! You're just in time. I saw two egg thieves run through this door. Well... actually, they paid me to guard their hideout, but that's irrelevant. I'll happily let you through the gate to chase them down for... ahem... a small finder's fee...
- Thank you, Spyro, and best of luck catching those dastardly egg thieves!
- Very well, Spyro. It's up to you. Maybe if we both just hold hands and think happy thoughts, the thieves will decide to return the eggs themselves.
- Well Spyro, it's good to see you. This gate I'm guarding happens to be the secret entrance to an egg thief hideout. Of course, I can't let you enter with a clean conscience... at least not without paying a small fee...
- I guess those egg thieves are going to get what's coming to them. It's too bad, I've always sort of liked those guys.
Zoe: Be sure to keep your friend, Sparx the Dragonfly, healthy, Spyro. If his health is low, torch a little creature like this slug below me to release a butterfly.
Sebastian the Seal: While I was gone, my friends borrowed the Rhynocs' submarine, then they took it for a joy ride, and then they smashed it into a big pile of rocks. Oddly enough, the Rhynocs failed to see the humor in the story and stuffed my friends in the jail behind you.
- The Rhynocs have barricaded all of our doors, but I bet you're strong enough to smash them down.
Stanley the Seal: My plan worked!! That dumb octopus dropped the jail key while he was shaking me. Now I can free my friends!
- Oh, I forgot to tell you. One of the Rhynocs had this egg in his lunch box.
Sheila the Kangaroo: Oh, hi, Spyro! Some of my seal friends are trying to take down a rhynocs fortress. I'm about to go and lend a foot. I love the smell of singe rhynocs in the morning.
Bob: I was supposed to meet Doug to go ice fishing today... but rhynocs have blocked the path with ice so I can't get through. I've been trying to clear the way with this cannon, but it doesn't even shoot straight. I haven't been able to hit a dang thing all morning.
Nancy: Tonight is my big ice dance performance, and these hockey players are ruining it. Every time I start my routine, they come in and smack me with their sticks. Oh, I sure wish I had a partner... someone courageous and strong and handsome and... purple... who breathes fire.
- Will you please help me perform my ice dance? These mean rhynocs hockey players keep hogging the ice and all I want to do is dance.
- We did it! That was my best performance ever! I guess one of the judges didn't like it, though. He threw this egg at me instead of a rose! Why don't you have it?
Sheila the Kangaroo: This swamp smells so sweet/The springtime trees are fragrant/ I'm off to kick butt.
- Bianca: We managed to... capture the eggs, your highness! Every last one.
- Evil Sorceress: Excellent! Maybe you'll amount to something after all. Now, go guard the tunnels. Stop anyone from coming through!
- Gildas: Where are the eggs?
- Zoe: The holes come up on the other side of the Dragon Worlds! We found some of the eggs, but they were too heavy to carry back (since we, fairies, are little)!
- Spyro: The other side of the world?
- Gildas: The Forgotten Worlds! Spyro, you'll have to go. Nobody else (but you) can fit down the holes.
- Hunter: Yeah, come on! Let's go! [jumps into hole and gets stuck. Gildas shakes his head in dissapointment as Hunter struggles. Gildas then stomps on Hunter forcing him down the hole.] (Thanks!)
- Gildas: Find the eggs and bring them back, Spyro. You're our only chance!
- Spyro: You got it! [jumps down hole]
- Evil Sorceress: You bumbling, idiotic, worthless fool! I ask you to carry out 1 simple task and you fail me! I should have known better than to rely on a child!
- Bianca: But–
- Evil Sorceress: Don't worry about it. I will deal with them now.
- Bianca: These eggs can't be worth all this trouble.
- Evil Sorceress: Without the dragons, the magic in this world will wither away. Without magic, I'll die, and so will your ever so slim chance of becoming a SORCERESS!
- Bianca: What, all this time you only wanted them for their wings!?
- Evil Sorceress: Of course, you ignorant girl. I need them for a spell, so I can live forever!