Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (also simply known as Spyro 3) is a platform game developed by Insomniac Games and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation video game console. The game was released in North America on October 23, 2000 and in Europe on November 10, 2000. Year of the Dragon is the third installment in the Spyro series. While celebrating the "Year of the Dragon", when new dragon eggs arrive every 12 years, an army of rhino creatures invades and steals them for a Sorceress, spreading them across several worlds, so it's up to Spyro to bring them back with the help of some new friends.
- Yo, Spyro! I just found one of those portal thingamajigs that leads to a different world! But you'll have to glide to get across to it. Press the X button to jump, then press the X button again while you're in the air to glide. Just follow me!
- To get the best glide, press the X button at the very top of your jump.
- I saw something shiny in that cave over there. Let's go check it out. You can get there by hovering. To hover, press the triangle button at the end of your glide.
- To get the best glide distance, press the X button while walking forward, then press it again at the top of your jump. Finally, press the triangle button just before you get to the landing to hover.
- Oh, I almost forgot! I found this egg.
- There's definitely something shiny at the bottom of this hole. I was about to jump down there, but I think I hear running water, and I hate to get wet. It's a cat thing.
- Say! Is it just me or is she kinda cute when shes angry?
- Sheesh I can't believe you beat me you must have been all this time looking for eggs hey speaking of which one of those crabs was guarding this one.
- I had to help Spyro rescue the eggs.
- The dragons used to live here?
- Maybe I could convince the dragons to come back if you let me go.
- So, you're the one in charge of rescuing the eggs, huh? ...hahahaha... How sad! Look here, dragon, if you know what's good for you, you'll turn around and crawl back up that hole you came through! Those eggs belong to us now, and I've hidden them in places you'll never find in a thousand years! Besides, even if you could find an egg, our expertly trained armies will dispose of you and take it back. Do I make myself clear? If I find you here again, I'm going to be very angry! And you won't like me when I'm angry!
- I've warned you already; this place isn't safe for small dragons and... pussycats.
- Try looking after this!
- Okay, dragon. You've managed to survive longer than I expected, but you haven't the slightest idea of what sort of dangers lie ahead of you. I suggest you grab your cat friend and whatever eggs you found and hightail it out of here. I'm telling this for your own good, you know.
- Listen to me, dragon... Spyro... this is serious now. The Sorceress is planning a trap for you and if she catches you... believe me, you don't want to know what she's gonna do. Look, I promise to take good care of the rest of the eggs. I mean it, just take Hunter and go back home before... before... I can't say it, just go!
- Spyro, I know you don't trust me, but I want to help you stop the Sorceress. There's a way to open a hidden portal to her lair but it'll take some very strong magic. If you can find more of the dragon eggs I think my magic will be strong enough to open the portal. I'll come find you when you have enough eggs, okay?
- You did it Spyro! You've found enough of the dragon eggs for me to unlock the portal. Once I've opened it you can confront the Sorceress whenever you're ready. But be careful... she'll be expecting you.
- Hey, you finally made it, Spyro! Hunter was a little worried about you when you went off to fight the Sorceress, but I always knew you'd beat her.
- This place is where the Sorceress kept all her treasure, but after she was defeated, a bunch of thieves came and stole it. If you can catch the thieves, you're more than welcome to keep the treasure.
- Excellent. Maybe you will amount to something after all. Now, go guard the tunnels. Stop anyone from coming through!
- Listen carefully, you stupid girl! I'm going to ask you one more time - why haven't you disposed of that infernal dragon?!
- What did you think I was going to do with all those dragons? Open a zoo?
- Spyro! My, my, how funny to see you here. Why, I haven't seen you since we defeated Ripto in Avalar. ..hehe.. Well, my business went into a slump after you left, so I came here and struck up a nice deal with the local Sorceress. Lovely woman, she is. Seems to be rather fond of dragons, too.
- I'm getting paid a fortune to keep Sheila the Kangaroo locked up. ..hehe.. The pesky animal must've been causing a lot of trouble to that poor old Sorceress. I suppose I could "accidentally" let the kangaroo escape if you were to pay me say, uh... 'a small fee'?
- The Sorceress has asked me to guard Sheila the Kangaroo. I suppose if you had a bit more money, I'd be willing to let her escape, then you can keep her for a pet, or something...
- If you choose 'Sure.': "Ah, Spyro, I love your sweet naivete. Your kind-hearted nature might be your downfall someday, but for the time being, it's making me rich."
- If you choose 'No thanks.': "Don't worry, Spyro. Sheila won't stay in jail forever. The Sorceress is thinking about having her executed next Thursday."
- Ahh, my good friend, Spyro. The Sorceress caught this naughty bird letting off rockets in her fireworks factory but I'll be willing to release provided you pay his outstanding fines.
- Don't worry, Spyro. I won't be needing anymore of your money now. Now, don't look so surprised I found one of the dragon eggs and I'm going to sell it for a fortune back in Avalar. Err... uh-oh, why are you looking at me like that? I, err.. heh heh... I've to be going now. Uh, toodles."
- [panting] Drat! [panting] Double drat! [panting] Drat, drat, drat, drat, drat, drat, drat! Oh, I never knew dragons were so fast. That's it, I give up. I'm retiring to Spooky Swamp to become a haiku poet.
- Ahh, home at last. Here, I was saving this to make an omelet, but I think you deserve it more.
- You see that Rhynoc guy up ahead? He's, still, mad at us for hanging his underpants on top of this tree! Heehee... We'll just stand here, while you give him a swift kick!
- Last time we tried to get past this moose, he knocked Billy clean through a wall! If you don't mind, we'll just stay over here, while you give him a good kicking!
- Hey, Sheila, let's play a joke! Take this egg, and smash it on Billy's house, okay? I need to get him back for the last time he butted me off the cliff!
- Hey, Spyro! They're Rhynocs everywhere! Maybe I can find some peace and quiet at the top of the tower.
- Hi, Spyro. If you bring someone back from each of the 5 worlds, we'll have enough weight to pull down this balloon for you.
- Let's head on over to the balloon!
- This balloon will take you to a land closer to the Sorceress, Spyro. You can also use it to come back here whenever you want to.
"Thanks for freeing me. Why don't you come visit me in my homeworld."
"Thanks again, Spyro! Now I have to find out what that nasty Sorceress has done to our home while I was locked up."
"I better go check on those billy goats again. Last time I left them alone, they ate all the shingles off the roof."
"I still haven't finished getting all the billy goats home yet."
"I'll be back as soon as I get all 3 billy goats home."
"Whoo! That was fun! I tell you, Spyro, kicking Rhynoc butt just never gets old!"
"Well, I'm off to clean off the mess those Rhynocs left behind."
"Goodbye, Spyro! I'm sure I'll see you a round."
"Let's head on over to the balloon!"
"This balloon will take you to a land closer to the Sorceress, Spyro."
"You dragons used to rule this entire world, you know. Then all of a sudden, you left."
Snappy the Seal
"I think something is draining the magic out of the world. They say things have been going downhill ever since the dragons left here a thousand years ago."
"Sgt. Byrd; 90068. Awaiting orders, sir!"
"Why, you brazenly avaricious, duplicitous, larcenous ursine!"
- (if Bentley is standing in his walking path) Hey, you're in the way! Move it!
- Hey, bro! It'd be really cool if you could smash that boulder! A swift smack should do the trick!
- If you use your spin move to deflect the snowball into the gong, I'm betting we could make the roof cave in!
- It took me forever to train those seals to throw snowballs! Now, they've gone, and turned on me!
- Aww, no! Another seal! And, this one looks really mean!
- Another gong! Great! I'll bet we can start an avalanche with this one!
- A stinkin' Rhynoc has blocked the way with this box! It couldn't be a problem for you to just push it out of the way, though.
- Hey, brainiac! You're supposed to be smart! Why don't you try shoving those blocks around to bridge that gap?
- Thanks, bro! Here's a little something for your rock collection!
- Hey! This isn't my ball! It's just another stupid egg!
- That dumb yeti took my ball! I told him to give it back, or you'd kick his lousy butt, but he wouldn't listen!
- I knew you'd do it! Go, and show him not to mess with us! Remember to block his high punches, and hit him low, when he tries to block!
- You lost? But, how am I going to get my ball back? You've got to try again!
- You should go back, and kick his butt again! Make him give my ball back!
- This time, it will be a 3 round match, and when you win, don't let him set you off with a stupid egg!
- You lost! Oh, some brother you are! I'm never going to see my ball again, am I?
- A Rhynoc! Oh! Let me at him! You wanna piece of me, Rhynoc boy! Eat Laser, punk!"
- Bianca: We managed to... capture the eggs, your highness! Every last one.
- The Evil Sorceress: Excellent! Maybe you'll amount to something after all. Now, go guard the tunnels. Stop anyone from coming through!
- Gildas: Where are the eggs?
- Zoe: The holes come up on the other side of the Dragon Worlds! We found some of the eggs, but they were too heavy to carry back!
- Spyro: The other side of the world?
- Gildas: The Forgotten Worlds! Spyro, you'll have to go. (And Hunter and Zoe will help you along the way.) Nobody else (except you) can fit down the holes.
- Hunter: Yeah, come on! Let's go! [jumps into hole and gets stuck] (Little help here...?)
- Gildas: (Oh, boy.) [shakes his head in dissapointment as Hunter struggles, then he stomps on Hunter down the hole] Find (all) the eggs and bring them back, Spyro. You're our only chance!
- Spyro: You got it! [jumps down hole]
- The Sorceress: You bumbling, idiotic, worthless fool! I ask you to carry out one simple task, and you fail me! I should have known better than to rely on a child.
- Bianca: But–
- Evil Sorceress: Don't worry about it. I will deal with them now.
- Bianca: These eggs can't be worth all this trouble.
- The Evil Sorceress: Without the dragons, the magic in this world will wither away. Without magic, I'll die, and so will your ever-so-slim chance of becoming a sorceress!
- Bianca: Hello. I thought you might be hungry. [gives Hunter an apple]
- Hunter: Thanks. Did you bring any chips?
- Bianca: I'm sorry this happened, but I tried to warn you.
- Hunter: I had to help Spyro rescue the eggs.
- Bianca: You just don't understand. If we don't bring dragons back to this world soon, all our magic will be lost.
- Hunter: The dragons used to live here?
- Bianca: Yes. This was their original home, but a long, long time ago, the Sorceress banished them to the other side of the world. She didn't realize the dragons were the source of our magic.
- Hunter: Maybe I could convince the dragons to come back… if you let me go.
- Bianca: [Thinks for a second, then is about to open the cage, but stops] I'm sorry, I can't. [Leaves]
- Sorceress: That's it! I've had enough! I'm going to create a monster to end ALL monsters! And I'm going to send it out to destroy ALL the dragons, even the little hatchlings! Yes! YES! It will smash them and crush them and grind them and tear them! OH, YES! Smear them and smoosh them and crack them and CREASE THEM!
- Bianca: But, uh… won't that kill them?
- Sorceress: [laughs] It doesn't matter! As long as I can still collect their wings!
- Bianca: What?! All this time, you only wanted them for their wings?!
- Sorceress: Of course, you ignorant girl. I need them for a spell, so I can live forever!
- Bianca: W-w-w-wait a second, a spell?!
- Sorceress: What did you think I was going to do with all those dragons? Open a zoo?! [Rhynoc laughs]
- Bianca: You said just keeping them in our world was enough! You never said you had to kill them!
- Sorceress: I don't have to kill them. It just stops them from wriggling so much!
- Bianca: You're terrible! I can't believe I ever listened to you! [storms out]
- Sorceress: Stupid insolent brat. I'll take care of her as soon as I finish off that dragon. Now, where was I? Ah, yes! [Motions the Rhynoc to be brought forward]
- Bentley: Spyro, you've just defeated the Sorceress, rescued the dragon eggs and restored freedom to the lost Dragon Worlds! What do you plan to do next? Hmm? Perhaps a nice vacation in Dragon Shores? Hmm?
- Spyro: You're a real comedian sometimes, Bentley. [They both laugh]