The People vs. Larry Flynt
Jump to navigation Jump to search
You may not like what he does, but are you prepared to give up his right to do it?
- If the First Amendment will protect a scumbag like me, it will protect all of you.
- If you don't like Hustler magazine, don't read it.
- [to Alan] You don't want to quit me, I'm your dream client: I'm the most fun, I'm rich, and I'm always in trouble.
- I got money, which gives me the power to shake up the system.
- Why do I have to go to jail to protect your freedom?
- [incredulously] Twenty-five years? All I'm guilty of is bad taste.
- I think the real obscenity comes from raisin' our youth to believe that sex is bad and ugly and dirty and yet it is heroic to go spill guts and blood in the most ghastly manner in the name of humanity. With all the taboos attached to sex, it's no wonder we have the problems we have. It's no wonder we're angry and violent and genocidal. But ask yourself the question. What is more obscene? Sex or war?
- Unpopular speech is absolutely vital to the health of our nation.
- Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you have heard a lot today, and I'm not gonna go back over it, but you have to go into that room and make some decisions. But before you do, there's something you need to know. I am not trying to suggest that you should like what Larry Flynt does. I don't like what Larry Flynt does, but what I do like is the fact that I live in a country where you and I can make that decision for ourselves. I like the fact that I live in a country where I can pick up Hustler magazine and read it, or throw it in the garbage can if that's where I think it belongs.
- The reign of Christian terror is over. We're going back to our roots. We are smut peddlers again.
- Nobody on this planet wants their religion and their pornography together.
- Althea Leasure: Larry?
- Larry Flynt: Yeah?
- Althea Leasure: Take off your pants.
- Larry Flynt: [grins] What?
- Althea Leasure: Take off your pants.
- Larry Flynt: Why?
- Althea Leasure: [shows him the profit sheet] Because I've never fucked a millionaire before.
- Isaacman: [on the phone] Listen, I'm sitting here with the eminently reasonable District Attorney of the state of Georgia. Right. He's very impressed by your conversion, he wants to cut us a plea bargain.
- Larry Flynt: A plea bargain? Because I've found God?
- Isaacman: Larry, listen to me for a second: Don't argue with me on this, okay? Just say yes because I've pulled a lot of strings to make this happen.
- Larry Flynt: Is he sitting there with you?
- Isaacman: Yes, he is.
- Larry Flynt: Would you do me a favor? Just tell that miserable old gray-haired bastard to go fuck himself, we're going to trial.
- Isaacman: Okay, right.
- Larry Flynt: Oh, and praise the lord.
- Mantke Clerk: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help yo God?
- Larry Flynt: No.
- Judge Mantke: No?
- Larry Flynt: Your honor, I'm an atheist. I can't very well, uh, swear to a God I don't believe exists.
- Judge Mantke: Mr. Flynt, you are a handful.
- Larry Flynt: I know, your honor.
- Simon Leis: Mr. Flynt, can you please turn to page 77? Can you describe to the jury what is on that page, please sir?
- Larry Flynt: It's a picture of Santa Claus.
- Simon Leis: What is Santa Claus doing?
- Larry Flynt: He's talking to Mrs. Claus, and holding in his hand what appears to be a large, erect penis.
- Simon Leis: And could you read the caption underneath that cartoon, please?
- Larry Flynt: "This is what I've got to ho-ho-ho about."
- Isaacman: Larry, thousands of people petition the Supreme Court, okay? Thousands.
- Larry Flynt: Yeah, and our case is as good as any.
- Isaacman: Our case is better than most, you're missing my point, and that is they will never pick you. Because you're a nightmare. They're afraid if they let you in there, you're gonna wear a diaper, or throw oranges at the justices, and they should be, Larry, because in all the times you've gone to the court asking for help, you've never once demonstrated any respect for its institutions and procedures.
- Woody Harrelson - Larry Flynt
- Courtney Love - Althea Leasure
- Edward Norton - Alan Isaacman
- Richard Paul - Jerry Falwell
- James Cromwell - Charles Keating
- Donna Hanover - Ruth Carter Stapleton
- Crispin Glover - Arlo
- Vincent Schiavelli - Chester
- Brett Harrelson - Jimmy Flynt
- Miles Chapin - Miles
- James Carville - Simon Leis
- Burt Neuborne - Roy Grutman
- Jan Tříska - The Assassin
- Norm Macdonald - Network reporter
- Larry Flynt - Judge Morrissey