A plutocracy is rule by the wealthy, or the power held by the wealthy.
|This theme article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- "Dynastic wealth, the enemy of a meritocracy, is on the rise. Equality of opportunity has been on the decline. A progressive and meaningful estate tax is needed to curb the movement of a democracy toward plutocracy."
- Of all forms of tyranny the least attractive and the most vulgar is the tyranny of mere wealth, the tyranny of plutocracy.
- Theodore Roosevelt
- We’re not a democracy. It’s a terrible misunderstanding and a slander to the idea of democracy to call us that. In reality, we’re a plutocracy: a government by the wealthy.
- Ramsey Clark, former U.S. Attorney General
- I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
- Thomas Jefferson
- This court is no respecter of wealth or other claims of immunity!
- Judge Kennesaw Mountain Landis