Avatar: The Last Airbender (season 1)
The following is a list of quotes from the first season Avatar: The Last Airbender.
The Boy in the Iceberg
- [Boy lifts up the mouth of this big creature.]
- Boy: Wake up buddy! C'mon boy wake up!
- [Sokka walks in and gasps]
- Boy: Yay buddy you're ok!
- Sokka: What is that thing?
- Boy: This is Appa, my flying bison.
- Sokka: [sarcastically] Yeah. Right. And this is Katara, my flying sister.
- [Katara and Aang giggle as they slide down a snowy hill on penguins.]
- Katara: I HAVEN'T DONE THIS SINCE I WAS A KID!
- Aang: YOU STILL ARE A KID!
- [They giggle some more and then they stop in front of a fire nation ship.]
- Aang: Woah... What's that?
- Katara: A fire nation ship. One of the bad memories of my people.
- [Aang steps closer to the ship]
- Katara: Aang don't we aren't allowed to go near it.
- Aang: If you want to be a bender, you have to let go of fear.
The Avatar Returns
- Zuko: I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training, meditating...you're just a child!
- Aang: Well, you're just a teenager.
- Sokka: (to himself as he chops at the ice holding his feet down) I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying and magic!
The Southern Air Temple
[Sokka tries to find some food in a bag. There's nothing but crumbs.]
- Sokka: Who ate all my blubbered-seal jerky?
- Aang: That was food? I used it to start the campfire last night. Sorry.
- Sokka: WHAT?! Aww. No wonder the flames smelled so good.
[Zuko has challenged Zhao to an Agni Kai]
- Iroh: Remember your Firebending basics, Prince Zuko. They are your greatest weapons.
- Zuko: I refuse to let him win. [he turns to face Zhao]
- Zhao: [also turns] This... will be over quickly.
[A gong sounds. Zuko strikes first, sending multiple fire blasts from his fists. Zhao dodges or deflects them repeatedly, looking smug. Zuko launches several flaming kicks, but Zhao blocks them all.]
- Iroh: Basics, Zuko! BREAK HIS ROOT!
[Zhao launches a powerful series of counterattacks, knocking Zuko backward and off his feet. Zhao leaps forward and launches a finishing blow, but Zuko flips upright at the last second, dodging and knocking Zhao's front foot from under him. Iroh grins approvingly as Zuko counterattacks again, forcing the unbalanced Zhao back and finally knocking him down. Standing over him, Zuko raises his fist]
- Zhao: Do it!
[Zuko sends his final fire blast wide, sparing Zhao's life]
- Zhao: That's it?! Your father raised a coward!
- Zuko: Next time you get in my way... I promise, I won't hold back.
[As Zuko walks away, Zhao tries to attack him from behind, but Iroh catches his foot and throws him to the ground. Zuko starts toward Zhao angrily]
- Iroh: No, Prince Zuko; do not taint your victory. [To Zhao, scornfully] So, this is how the great Commander Zhao acts in defeat? Disgraceful. Even in exile, my nephew is more honorable than you. Thanks again for the tea, it was delicious.
[Zuko and Iroh leave]
- Zuko: Uncle, did you really mean that?
- Iroh: Of course! I told you, ginseng tea is my favorite.
- (Aang walks into someplace at the Southern Air Temple and finds it littered with skeletons wearing Fire Nation uniforms)
- Aang: (horrified) Firebenders? They were here?
- (He spots a skeleton wearing Air Nomad robes and the necklace Gyatso used to wear)
- Aang: (sadly) Gyatso.
- (he sinks to his knees and begins crying, Sokka comes in)
- Sokka: Hey Aang, you find my dinner yet? (he sees Aang crying and walks up to him) Aang, I wasn't really gonna eat the lemur, okay? (he notices Gyatso's skeleton) Oh man... Come on, Aang. Everything will be alright. (He puts his hand on Aang's shoulder) Let's get out of here.
- (Aang's eyes and tattoos begin to glow white as he enters the Avatar State, Sokka gasps. Back in the sanctuary, the eyes on the statues of the previous Avatar's begin to glow as well, alarming Katara)
- Katara: Aang! (she turns and runs to find Aang)
- (The eyes of different Avatar memorials begin to glow throughout the nations, including a temple in the Fire Nation)
- Fire Sage: Send word to the Fire Lord immediately: The Avatar has returned!
- (Back at the Southern Air Temple, the wind begins to pick up around Aang)
- Sokka: Aang, come on! Snap out of it! (He yells as he is blown back by a gust of wind created by Aang)
- (Aang blows the roof off of the place he and Sokka are in as his bending gets more and more powerful)
- Katara: (to Sokka) What happened?!
- Sokka: He found out firebenders killed Gyatso!
- Katara: Oh no! It's his Avatar Spirit. He must have triggered it! I'm gonna try and calm him down!
- Sokka: Well do it! Before he blows us off the mountain!
- (Katara begins struggling to move towards Aang, and watches as the wind carries him up into the air)
- Katara: Aang, I know you're upset, and I know how hard it is to lose the people you love! I went through the same thing when I lost my mom! Monk Gyatso and the other airbenders may be gone, but you still have a family! Sokka and I, we're your family now!
- (Aang begins descending back to the ground, and the wind begins dying down and then stops completely. When he lands, Sokka and Katara walk up behind him)
- Sokka: Katara and I aren't going to let anything happen to you, promise.
- (Katara grabs Aang's hand and the light fades from him. He tiredly collapses to the ground and she holds him)
- Aang: (quietly) I'm sorry.
- Katara: It's okay. It wasn't your fault.
- Aang: But you were right. And if firebenders found this temple, that means they found the other ones too...I really am the last airbender...
- (Katara hugs Aang tighter and Sokka puts his hand on his shoulder)
The Warriors of Kyoshi
- Zuko: [Studying a map detailing reported Avatar sightings scattered around] How am I going to find the Avatar, Uncle? He is clearly a master of evasive maneuvering.
- [Cut to Sokka, looking at a similar map, which is blank]
- Sokka: [to Aang] You have no idea where you're going, do you?
- Aang: No but I know it's near water [zooms out to show the ocean below]
- Sokka: We must be getting close, then.
- Sokka: [straining at his bonds] Who are you? Where are the men who ambushed us?
- Suki: There were no men. We ambushed you. Now tell us, who are you and what are you doing here?
- Sokka: Wait! There's no way a bunch of girls took us down.
- Suki: A bunch of girls, huh? The unagi's gonna eat well tonight.
- Katara: No, don't hurt him! He didn't mean it. My brother is just an idiot sometimes.
The King of Omashu
- [Aang, Katara and Sokka walk toward Omashu's gate, but are stopped by the gate guards, one of which positions a rock over Aang's head]
- Gate Guard: Halt! State your business here.
- Aang: [runs up to the guard] [elderly voice] My business is my business young man and none of yours! I've got a good mind to put you over my knee and paddle your backside!
- Gate Guard: Settle down, old timer. Just tell me who you are.
- Aang: Name's Bonzu... Pippenpaddle-Oppsocopolis... the Third, and these are my grandkids.
- Katara [now smiling serenely]: Hi, June Pippenpaddle-Oppsocopolis. Nice to meet you.
- Gate Gaurd: [to Katara] You seem like a responsible young lady. See to it that your grandfather stays out of trouble. Enjoy Omashu.
- [Aang, Katara and Sokka walk to the gate until the guard stops Sokka]
- Gate Guard: [places a hand on Sokka's shoulder] Wait a minute... [Sokka becomes nervous] ...you're a strong young man. Show some respect for the elderly and carry your grandfather's bag!
- Aang: Good idea! [throws Sokka his bag]
- King Bumi: Tomorrow the Avatar will face three deadly challenges. But for now, the guards will show you to your chamber.
- Guard: My liege, do you mean the good chamber, or the bad chamber?
- King Bumi: The newly refurbished chamber.
- Guard: Wait, which one are we talking about?
- King Bumi: The one that used to be the bad chamber, until the recent refurbishing that is. Of course, we've been calling it the new chamber, but we really should number them. Uh, take them to the refurbished chamber that was once bad!
- Katara: Earthbenders! You don't know me, but I know of you. Every child of my water tribe village was rocked to sleep with stories of the brave Earth Kingdom and the courageous earthbenders who guard its borders. Some of you may think that the Fire Nation has made you powerless. Yes, they have taken away your ability to bend, but they can't take away your courage and it is your courage they should truly fear! Because it runs deeper than any mine you've been forced to dig, any ocean that keeps you far from home. It is the strength of your hearts that make you who you are, hearts that will remain unbroken when all rock and stone has eroded away. The time to fight back is now! I can tell you the Avatar has returned! So remember your courage, earthbenders, let us fight for our freedom!
- Warden: Tell me exactly what you saw.
- Captain: Well, Sir, it looked like a flying bison.
- Warden: A what?
- Guard: It was a giant flying buffalo, Sir, with an empty saddle.
- Warden: Which was it? A buffalo or a bison?
- Captain: Uh, I'm not sure what the difference is, but that's not really the point is it, Sir?
- Warden: [angry] I'll decide what the point is, fool!
- [Warden throws the Captain over the railing. A scream trails off into nothing as a splash of water is heard. Cut back to the Warden and the remaining guard]
- Warden: You! Wake up the Captain. Search the entire rig!
- Guard: Sir?
- Warden: What!?
- Guard: That was the Captain you just threw overboard, sir. So…
- Warden: Then wake up someone I haven't thrown overboard and search the rig! There's something going on here and I don't like it.
Winter Solstice, Part 1: The Spirit World
- Zuko: [To a bathing Iroh] Enough. we need to leave now! Get out of the water.
- Iroh: Very well. [stands up]
- Zuko: [Looks away in horror and disgust] On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes?
- [After Aang calms the spirit of the forest, Sokka and other villagers are brought back]
- Katara: Sokka!
- [Katara runs to Sokka and hugs him]
- Sokka: What happened?
- Katara: You were in the spirit world for 24 hours. How do you feel?
- Sokka: Like I seriously have to use the bathroom! [runs off]
Winter Solstice, Part 2: Avatar Roku
- Iroh: Sailing into Fire Nation Waters... Of all the foolish things you've done in your 16 years, Prince Zuko, this is the most foolish!
- Zuko: I have no choice, Uncle.
- Iroh: Have you completely forgotten that the Fire Lord banished you! What if you are caught?
- Zuko: I'm chasing the Avatar, my father will understand why I'm returning home.
- Iroh: You give him too much credit. My brother is not the understanding type!
- Katara: Sokka! You're a genius!
- Aang: Wait. How is Sokka a genius? His plan didn't even work!
- Sokka: Come on, Aang. Let her dream.
- Katara: You're right, Sokka's plan didn't work. But it looks like it did.
- Aang: Did the definition of 'genius' change in the last hundred years?
The Waterbending Scroll
- Katara: Aang, this is all my fault.
- Aang: No, Katara, it's not.
- Iroh: Yeah, it kind of is. [Katara glares at him]
- Zuko: Give me the boy.
- Pirate Captain: You give us the scroll.
- Sokka: You're really gonna hand over the Avatar for a stupid piece of parchment!?
- Zuko: [to the Pirate Captain] Don't listen to him! He's trying to turn us against each other.
- Pirate Captain: [to Sokka] Your friend is the Avatar?
- Sokka: Sure is, and I'll bet he'll fetch a lot more on the black market then that fancy scroll.
- Zuko: Shut your mouth, you Water Tribe peasant!
- Aang: [sternly] Yeah, Sokka. You really should shut your mouth...
- Sokka: [still trying to con the pirates] I'm just sayin', it's bad business sense. Just imagine how much the Fire Lord would pay for the Avatar. You guys would be set for life!
- Pirate Captain: Keep the scroll. We can buy a hundred with the reward we'll get from the kid. [turns away]
- Zuko: [menacingly] You'll regret going back on a deal with me.
[He launches a fire burst, then the Fire Nation soldiers and pirates attack each other]
- [Pirate Captain and Zuko are fighting]
- Iroh: Are you so busy fighting you cannot see your own ship has set sail?
- Zuko: We have no time for your proverbs, Uncle!
- Iroh: It's no proverb. [Aang and others getting away in pirate ship]
- Pirate Captain: Bleeding hog monkeys! [Zuko laughs; the pirates laugh as they drift after Aang and his friends]
- Zuko: Hey! That's my boat! [runs after them]
- Iroh: Maybe it should be a proverb.
[Aang complains about walking]
- Katara: [mockingly] Well, I don't know, Aang. Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything!
- Sokka: [sarcastically] Ha ha, very funny.
- Aang: I'm tired of carrying this pack.
- Katara: You know who you should ask to carry it for awhile? Sokka's instincts!
- Aang: Hey, that's a great idea! Hey! Sokka's instincts! Would you mind--?
[Jet is threatening an elderly man]
- Old man: Let me go! Have mercy!
- Jet: Does the Fire Nation let people go? Does the Fire Nation have mercy?
[He tries to kick the old man in the head; Sokka restrains him]
- Sokka: Jet, stop! He's just an old man!
- Aang: But we thought you were going to the dam. How come you went to the town instead?
- Katara: Let me guess, Your instincts told you?
- Sokka: Hey, sometimes they're right.
- Aang: Uh, Sokka, you know we're going the wrong way right?
- Sokka And sometimes they're wrong.
The Great Divide
- Katara: Sokka, you're supposed to put the tarp on top of the tent. You know, so we don't get rained on?
- Sokka: Ordinarily you'd be right, but seeing as it's the dry season, you're not. Besides, that tarp makes a pretty warm blanket.
- Katara: But what if it does rain?
- Sokka: What if it doesn't? Then I would've put the tarp up for nothing.
- Katara: Arrgh! You're infuriating!
- Sokka: Katara, why don't you worry about gathering the firewood, cause that kindling's looking pretty sorry.
- Katara: Well if you don't like my firewood...!
- [throws twigs at Sokka]
- Sokka: Fine by me! If you're not gonna do your job...!
- [pulls down tent]
- Aang: Okay, guys, I got the grub if you guys got the... Hey, where's the campfire? And what happened to the tent?
- Sokka: Why don't you ask Miss Know-It-All, queen of the twigs.
- Katara: Oh, yeah, well you're Mr. Lazy Bum, king of the... [picks up a twig and throws it at Sokka] ...tents!
- Sokka: That's some luck you knew Jin Wai and Wai Jin.
- Aang: You could call it luck... Or you could call it lying.
- Sokka: What?!
- Aang: I made the whole thing up.
- Katara: [shocked] You did not! [then, in devilish admiration] That is so wrong.
- [After Aang tells the story of how he got frozen in the iceberg]
- Katara: You ran away.
- Aang: [looking at Katara] And then the Fire Nation attacked our temple. My people needed me, and I wasn't there to help.
- Katara: You don't know what would've...
- Aang: The world needed me, and I wasn't there to help!
- Katara: Aang?
- Aang: The fisherman was right. I did turn my back on the world.
- Katara: You're being too hard on yourself. Even if you did run away, I think it was meant to be. If you stayed, you would have been killed with all the other airbenders.
- Aang: [downcast] You don't know that.
- Katara: I know it's meant to be this way. The world needs you now. You give people hope.
- [After Iroh tells the story of how Zuko was burned by his father]
- Lt. Jee: I always thought that... Prince Zuko was in a training accident.
- Iroh: It was no accident. After the duel, the Fire Lord said that by refusing to fight, Zuko had shown shameful weakness. As punishment, he was banished and sent to capture the Avatar. Only then could he return with his honor.
- Lt. Jee: So that's why he's so obsessed. Capturing the Avatar is his only chance he has of things returning to normal.
- Iroh: Things will never return to normal, but the important thing is, the Avatar gives Zuko hope.
The Blue Spirit
- [Katara starts coughing]
- Aang: Not you too!
- Katara: Relax, It was just a little cough. I'm fin--
- [She coughs again more violently]
- Aang: That's how Sokka started yesterday. Now look at him! He thinks he's an Earthbender!
- Sokka [delirious]: Take that, you rock!
- Aang: [to Zuko]: You know what the worst part of being born over a hundred years ago is? I miss all the friends I used to hang out with. Before the war started, I used to always visit my friend Kuzon. The two of us, we'd get in and out of so much trouble together. He was one of the best friends I ever had, and he was from the Fire Nation just like you. If we knew each other back then, do you think we could have been friends too?
- [After a pause, Zuko launches a fire blast at Aang, who easily dodges it. Zuko's expression softens slightly as he watches Aang escape.]
- Sokka: You can't really tell the future.
- Katara: I guess you're not really getting wet then.
- [Platypus bear egg flies out of Sokka's hands]
- Sokka: Ah ah aha ah ah [starts gibbering] Of course she predicted it was gonna rain. The sky's been gray all day!
- Katara: Just admit you might be wrong and you can come under the umbrella.
- Sokka: Look, I'm gonna predict the future now. It's going to keep drizzling. See?
- [Rain stops and becomes sunny]
- Aang: Not everyone has the gift, Sokka.
- Sokka: I can't believe all these saps! Someone really needs to scream some sense into these people.
- Aang: They seem happy, Sokka.
- Sokka: Not for long. I'm gonna prove to them Aunt Wu's predictions are nonsense. (he turns to a villager) Hey, you! I bet Aunt Wu told you to wear those red slippers, right?
- Villager: Yeah. She said I'd meet my true love wearing red slippers.
- Sokka [slyly]: Uh-huh. And how many times have you worn those shoes since you got that fortune?
- Villager: Every day.
- Sokka [angrily]: THEN OF COURSE IT'S GONNA COME TRUE!
- Villager [excitedly]: Really?! You think so?! I'm so excited!
Bato of the Water Tribe
- Zuko: (pushing through a crowd) Out of my way! Step aside, filth!
- Iroh: He means no offense! I'm certain you bathe regularly...
- Zuko: (to June) I need to talk to you.
- June: Well, if it isn't my new friends, Angry Boy and Uncle Lazy.
- (Iroh laughs heartily for a moment)
- Zuko: Your beast trashed my ship. You have to pay me back!
- June: (collecting her winnings from a game) Well, I'd love to help you out, but I'm a little short on money. (to the crowd) Drinks on me! (the crowd cheers)
- Zuko: (shows June Katara's necklace)
- June: (smirking) What happened? Your girlfriend run off on you?
- Zuko: It's not the girl I'm after, it's the bald monk she's traveling with.
- June: Whatever you say...
- Zuko: If you find them, I'll consider the damage to my ship paid for.
- June: Heh. Forget it.
- Iroh: Plus, we'll pay your weight in gold.
- June: (smiling) Make it your weight, and we got a deal.
- Iroh: (laughs) You got it!
- [Aang attempts to convince Jeong Jeong to teach him firebending]
- Aang: Master, I need to learn firebending.
- Jeong Jeong: Only a fool seeks his own destruction.
- Aang: [sits down] I'm the Avatar. It's my destiny to— [Jeong Jeong cuts off Aang's sentence]
- Jeong Jeong: Destiny? What would a boy know of destiny?! If a fish lives its whole life in this river, does he know the river's destiny? No! Only that it runs on and on out of his control. He may follow where it flows, but he cannot see the end. He cannot imagine the ocean.
- Aang: [feels unsure] Okay... But it's the Avatar's duty to master all of the bending disciplines.
- Jeong Jeong: To master the bending disciplines, you must first master discipline itself. But you have no interest in this, so I have no interest in you. Now, get out.
- Aang: Please, I have to learn. This could be my only chance. [Jeong Jeong lashes back at Aang]
- Jeong Jeong: Are you deaf?! How can I teach you if you refuse to listen?! Before learning firebending, you must learn water and earth. Water is cool and soothing. Earth is steady and stable. But fire... fire is alive. It breathes, it grows. Without the bender, a rock will not throw itself! But fire will spread and destroy everything in its path if one does not have the will to control it! That is its destiny! You are not ready! You are too weak!
- [the candles suddenly burn out and relight to show Avatar Roku standing before Jeong Jeong]
- Roku: You think I am weak?
- Jeong Jeong: Avatar Roku! No, no! [bowing his head in respect] I did not mean that!
- Roku: I have mastered the elements a thousand times in a thousand lifetimes. Now, I must do it once again. You will teach the Avatar firebending.
- Jeong Jeong: [coming out of his vision] Yes, yes... I will teach you.
- Aang: Really? That's great!
- Aang: [having dodged a series of blasts from Zhao on several ships] You've lost this battle.
- Zhao: [enraged disbelief] Are you crazy? You haven't thrown a single blow!
- Aang: No, but you have [he gestures around, all the boats are on fire and sinking] Jeong Jeong said you had no restraint.
The Northern Air Temple
- (approaching the Northern Air Temple)
- Katara: (to Sokka, excited) Do you think we'll really find airbenders?
- Sokka: Do you want me to be like you or totally honest?
- Katara: Are you saying I'm a liar?
- Sokka: I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing, basically.
- Aang: (referring to a statue of a monk) It's nice to see one part of the temple that isn't ruined.
- Mechanist: Look out! (A giant boulder swings through and destroys the statue) What the doodle? Don't you know enough to stay away from construction sites? We have to make room for the bathhouse!
- Aang: (angrily) Do you know what you did!? You just destroyed something sacred! For a stupid bathhouse!
- Mechanist: Well, people around here are starting to stink.
- Aang: This whole place stinks!
The Waterbending Master
- Katara: How's warrior training going?
- (Sokka makes an angry noise and flops down on his bed)
- Aang: That bad?
- Sokka: No, it's Princess Yue. I don't get it; one minute she wants to go out with me, the next she's telling me to get lost! So, how's waterbending training?
- (Katara makes an angry noise and flops down on her bed)
- Aang: Master Poop-head won't teach her because she's a girl.
- Sokka: Why don't you just teach her, Aang?
- Katara: Why didn't I think of that? At night, you can teach me whatever moves you learned from Master Pakku. That way, you have someone to practice with and I get to learn waterbending. Everyone's happy!
- Sokka: I'm not happy.
- Katara: But you're never happy. Come on, Aang.
- Arnook: What do you want me to do? Force Master Pakku to take Aang back as his student?
- Katara: Yes! Please.
- Arnook: I suspect he might change his mind, if you swallow your pride and apologize to him.
- Katara: (reluctantly) ...Fine.
- Pakku: (mockingly) I'm waiting, little girl.
- Katara: (angrily) No! No way am I apologizing to a sour old man like you!
- Aang: Uh...Katara?
- Katara: I'll be outside if you're man enough to fight me!
- (Arnook and Yue gasp)
- Aang: I'm sure she didn't mean that!
- Sokka: Yeah, I think she did.
The Siege of the North, Part 1
- Yue: They've stopped firing.
- Katara: [upon seeing Aang flying towards them] Aang!
[Yue and Katara run over to where Aang has landed Appa. He slides off and sits on the ground, looking tired]
- Aang: I can't do it... (to himself) I can't do it.
- Katara: What happened?
- Aang: I must have taken out a dozen Fire Navy ships, but there's just too many of them. I can't fight them all!
- Yue: But... you have to! You're the Avatar.
- Aang: I'm just one kid...
- Yue: The legends say the moon was the first waterbender. Our ancestors saw how it pushed and pulled the tides, and learned how to do it themselves.
- Katara: I've always noticed my waterbending is stronger at night.
- Yue: Our strength comes from the spirit of the moon, our life comes from the spirit of the ocean. They work together to keep balance.
- Aang: The spirits! Maybe I can find them and get their help!
- Yue: How can you do that?
- Katara: The Avatar is the bridge between our world and the spirit world. Aang can talk to them!
- Yue: Maybe they'll give you the wisdom to win this battle!
- Aang: Or maybe they'll unleash a crazy amazing spirit attack on the Fire Nation! (he looks at both Yue and Katara) Or wisdom. That's good too.
The Siege of the North, Part 2
[Aang enters the home of Koh the Face-Stealer, having been told to show no emotion. Koh suddenly lunges out of the shadows, inches from his face; Aang manages to make his face blank just in time.]
- Koh: Welcome.
- Aang: Thank you.
- Koh: My old friend, the Avatar. It's been a long time.
- Aang: You...know me?
- Koh: Oh, how could I ever forget you? [Changes face to that of an angry-looking man.] ONE OF YOUR PREVIOUS INCARNATIONS TRIED TO SLAY ME! It was eight or nine-hundred years ago.
- Aang: I didn't know that. Why did he...or I...try to kill you?
- Koh: [Changes face to that of Ummi, Avatar Kuruk's wife.] Oh, it was something about stealing the face of someone you loved. [Changes face to that of a cackling baboon in an attempt to scare Aang.] HA HA HA! [It doesn't work and Koh keeps talking, bringing his fanged maw right up behind Aang's ear. ] Of course, that's all behind us. Why should I hold a grudge against you for something in a past life? After all, you're a different person now. You've come to me... with a new face.
[Zhao has captured Tui the Moon Spirit in a bag, causing the Moon to turn red and the Waterbenders to lose their power.]
- Zhao: [to his guards] I am a legend, now! The Fire Nation will, for generations, tell stories about the great Zhao, who darkened the moon. They will call me Zhao the Conqueror, Zhao the Moon Slayer, Zhao the Invincible! [Momo suddenly lands on Zhao's face and starts pulling on his sideburns] Ugh! Get it off, get it off!
[Momo flies off and lands on Aang's arm; he, Katara and Sokka assume fighting stances across the bridge from Zhao.]
- Zhao: Don't bother. [he raises his fist, aiming at Tui]
- Aang: [drops his staff] Zhao! Don't.
- Zhao: It's my destiny: to destroy the Moon, and the Water Tribe.
- Aang: Destroying the Moon won't hurt just the Water Tribe. It will hurt everyone... including you. Without the Moon, everything will fall out of balance! You have no idea what kind of chaos that would unleash on the world!
- Iroh: He is right, Zhao!
- Zhao: General Iroh. Why am I not surprised to discover your treachery?
- Iroh: [sharply] I'm no traitor, Zhao. The Fire Nation needs the Moon, too! We all depend on the balance. [takes up a fighting stance] Whatever you do to that Spirit, I'll unleash on you tenfold! Let it go, NOW!
[Zhao reluctantly returns Tui to its' pool, then yells in fury and Firebends, killing Tui and causing the Moon to vanish. Iroh yells in rage and attacks Zhao and his guards with Firebending; he easily defeats all four of the guards, while Zhao runs away. Aang and his friends watch, stunned, as Iroh picks up Tui's body.]
- Princess Yue: ...There's no hope now. It's over.
[Aang enters the Avatar State]
- Aang:... No. It's not over.
[Aang steps into the Spirit Oasis, fusing with La, the spirit of the Ocean.]