Avatar: The Last Airbender (season 3)
The following is a list of quotes from the third season Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- (Bato and Hakoda are talking, Katara runs up with tears in her eyes)
- Bato: I'll leave you two alone.
- (Bato walks away)
- Hakoda: What's wrong, Katara?
- Katara: He left!
- Hakoda: What?
- Katara: Aang! He just took his glider and disappeared. He has this ridiculous notion that he has to save the world alone, that it's all his responsibility!
- Hakoda: Maybe that's his way of being brave.
- Katara: It's not brave, it's selfish and stupid! We could be helping him, and I know the world needs him but doesn't he know how much that we need him too? How could he just leave us behind?!
- Hakoda: You're talking about me too, aren't you?
- Katara: (sobbing) How could you leave us, Dad? I mean, I know we had Gran Gran and she loved us but...but we were just so lost without you...
- Hakoda: I'm so sorry, Katara.
- Katara: (embracing her father) I understand why you left, I really do, and I know that you had to go. So...why do I still feel this way? I'm so sad and angry... and hurt.
- Hakoda: I love you more than anything. You and your brother are my entire world. I thought about you every day I was gone, and every night, when I went to sleep, I would lie awake missing you so much it would ache.
- (Aang clutches to a piece of driftwood after losing his glider and being stuck in the ocean)
- Aang: I'm not gonna make it... I failed.
- (Roku appears in a flash of lightning)
- Aang: Roku?
- Roku: You haven't failed, Aang.
- Aang: But everyone thinks I'm dead again... they think I've abandoned them. And I'm losing this war...I'm letting the whole world down.
- Roku: If anyone is to blame for the state of the world, it is me. I should have seen this war coming, and prevented it. You inherited my problems...and my mistakes. But I believe you are destined to redeem me, and save the world.
- Aang: I don't know...
- (A beam of light shines over Aang and Yue appears in front of the moon)
- Yue: You already saved the world. And you'll save the world again. But you can't give up.
- Aang: You're right, I won't give up.
- (Aang creates a giant wave and uses the driftwood to begin surfing towards the Fire Nation, Yue increases the size of the wave and then recedes back into the moon)
- (In the next scene, Aang wakes up on a volcanic island with Momo on his chest. The rest of Team Avatar are running towards him with Katara in front)
- Katara: You're okay!
- (Katara runs up and hugs Aang first, and is then followed by the rest of the group)
- Aang: I have so much to do.
- Katara: I know, but you'll have our help.
- Toph: (jokingly) You didn't think you could get out of training just by coming to the Fire Nation did you?
- Aang: What about the invasion?
- Sokka: We'll join up with my dad and the invasion force on the day of the eclipse.
- Toph: Hey! What's... (Toph grabs the broken shard of Aang's glider that washed up on shore) Oh, it's your glider.
- Aang: That's okay. If someone saw it, it would give away my identity. It's better for now that no one knows I'm alive.
- (Aang uses his airbending to leap up to a higher ledge on the island. He holds his glider and looks down at the lava covered rock, and then plunges his glider into the ground, where it begins to burn as he jumps away.)
- Headmaster: Thank you for coming, Mr. and Mrs...
- Sokka: Fire. Wang Fire. This is my wife Sapphire.
- Katara: Sapphire Fire, nice to meet you.
- Headmaster: Mr. and Mrs.... Fire, your son has been enrolled here for two days, and he's already causing problems. He's argued with his history teacher, disrupted music class, and roughed up my star pupil.
- Katara: (in shock) My goodness, that doesn't sound like our Kuzon.
- Headmaster: That's what would any mother could say, Ma'am, nonetheless you're forewarned. If he acts up one more, I'll have him sent to reform school [standing up for emphasis]! By which I mean the coal mines. Are we clear?
- Sokka: Don't you worry, Mr. Headmaster! I'll straighten the boy up with something fierce! (in a fierce tone) YOUNG MAN, AS SOON AS WE GET HOME, YOU'RE GONNA GET THE PUNISHMENT OF A LIFETIME!
- Headmaster: That's what I like to hear.
- [Aang, Katara, and Sokka leave; with Sokka walking in a manly-like manner]
- Sokka (wearing his fake mustache): That's it! No more school for you, young man! (strokes his mustache)
- Aang: I'm not ready to leave yet. I'm having fun for once, just being a normal kid. You don't know what it's like, Sokka. You get to be normal all the time.
- Toph: Ha ha. (Sokka narrows his eyes at Toph)
- Aang: Listen, guys, those kids are the future of the Fire Nation. If we want to change this place for the better, we need to show them a little of freedom.
- Sokka: What could you possibly do for a country of depraved little fire monsters?
- Aang: I'm gonna throw them... a secret dance party! (Aang does a silly little dance, and everybody stares at him)
- Sokka (adult voice): Go to your room!
The Painted Lady
- Doc: You know, you're (Katara) not so bad for a Waterbender.
- Sokka: Yeah, you wouldn't mind keeping that a secret, would you?
- Doc: No problem. Keeping my mouth shut is a specialty. But my brother, Shu on the other hand, oh, he's a blabbermouth! (Sokka slaps himself in the head)
- Katara: So, Doc, you ready to clean this river?
- Doc: No, ma'am. I'm gonna get my other brother, Bushi. He loves cleaning rivers! (takes off his first hat and reveals another hat beneath) All right, I'm Bushi! Let's get to some river cleaning!
- Aang (to the Painted Lady): I'm the Avatar! (he jumps down in front of her)
- Katara: (mysterious voice): Well, hello, Avatar. I wish I could talk, but I am very busy.
- Aang: Yeah, me too; I hate that. (he looks at the Painted Lady, Katara tries to hide her face with her hat) You know, you're real pretty for a spirit. I don't get to meet many spirits. But the ones I do meet? Not very attractive. (Katara chuckles nervously)
- Katara: Thank you, but-
- Aang: You seem familiar. (he looks at the Painted Lady again, but Katara still hides her face with her hat)
- Katara: A lot of people say that.
- Aang: No. You really seem familiar.
- Katara: Look, I really should get going. (Aang Airbends her hat off, Katara grabs it, and turns away)
- Aang: Katara?
- Katara (turning to face Aang; regretfully): Hi, Aang.
- Aang (points at Katara): You're the Painted Lady?! But how?
- Katara: I wasn't at first. But since that's who everybody thought I was, I guess I kinda became her. (she drops her hat)
- Sokka: (referring to the bright stars overhead) It kinda makes you realize how insignificant we all are.
- Toph: Meh, if you've seen nothing once, you've seen it a thousand times.
- (a bright meteor suddenly heads earthward)
- Sokka: Oh, man! You've NEVER not seen anything like this!
- Toph: Sokka's coming! (sits up excitedly then tries to look casual about it)
- Sokka: Hey guys. How ya doin? (they all hug him)
- Aang: Sokka!
- Toph: You're back!
- Katara: We missed you so much.
- Aang: Say something funny!
- Sokka: Funny how? (Aang and Katara start laughing) What's their deal?
- Toph: (turns away trying to seem casual) I don't know. They missed you or something... (blushes) I didn't care.
- Sokka: Thanks. That warms my heart.
- Ty Lee: Thank goodness you're here, Azula. These boys won't leave me alone. I think they all just like me too much!
- Azula: Oh come on, Ty Lee, you can't be this ignorant.
- Ty Lee: What are you talking about?
- Azula: Those boys only like you because you make it so easy for them. You're not a challenge, you're a tease. It's not like they actually care who you are.
- (Ty Lee starts crying)
- Azula: Okay, okay, calm down. I didn't mean what I said. Look, maybe I just said it, because I'm a little... (whispers) jealous.
- Ty Lee: What? You're jealous of me? But you're the most beautiful, smartest, perfect girl in the world!
- Azula: Well, you're right about all those things, but for some reason when I meet boys, they act as if I'm going to do something horrible to them.
- Ty Lee: [chuckles] But you probably would do something horrible to them. I'm sure they're just intimidated by you. Okay, look. If you want a boy to like you, just look at him, and smile a lot, and laugh at everything he says, even if it's not funny.
- Azula: Well, that sounds really shallow and stupid... Let's try it!
- Ty Lee: Okay. [puts on a boyish voice] Hey there, sweet sugar-cakes. How ya likin' this party?
- [Azula does a loud and exaggerated laugh, getting everyone's attention]
[Zuko tosses a portrait of him, his parents and Azula on the campfire]
- Ty Lee: (startled) What are you doing?
- Zuko: What does it look like I'm doing?
- Ty Lee: But... it's a portrait of your family.
- Zuko: You think I care?
- Ty Lee: I think you do-
- Zuko: You don't know me, so why don't you just mind your own business?!
- Ty Lee: ...I know you.
- Zuko: No, you don't! You're stuck in your little Ty Lee world, where everything is great all the time!
- Mai: Zuko, leave her alone.
- Zuko: "I'm so pretty, look at me! I can walk on my hands! Woo!" (flops down in the sand, facing away) Circus freak!
- [Azula snickers]
- Ty Lee: (tearful and angry) Yes, I'm a circus freak! Go ahead and laugh all you want! You wanna know why I joined the circus?
- Azula: Here we go...
- Ty Lee: Do you have any idea what my home life was like, growing up with six sisters who looked exactly like me?! It was like, I didn't even have my own name! I joined the circus because I was scared of spending the rest of my life as a matched set! At least I'm different now! "Circus Freak" is a compliment!
- Mai: I guess that explains why you need ten boyfriends, too.
- Ty Lee: I'm sorry, what?
- Mai: Attention issues? You couldn't get enough attention when you were a kid, so you're trying to make up for it now.
- Ty Lee: Well, what's your excuse, Mai? You were an only child for fifteen years, but even with all that attention, your aura is just this dingy, pale, grey-
- Mai: I don't believe in auras.
- Zuko: Yeah... you don't believe in anything.
- Mai: (sarcastically) Oh, well, I'm sorry I can't be as crazy and high-strung as the rest of you.
- Zuko: I'm sorry, too; I wish you would be high-strung and crazy for once, instead of keeping all your feelings bottled up inside. She just called your aura dingy, are you gonna take that?
- Mai: What do you want from me? You want a teary confession about how bad my childhood was? Well, it wasn't. I was a rich only child who got anything I wanted... as long as I behaved. And sat still. And didn't speak unless spoken to. My mother said I had to keep out of trouble. We had my dad's political career to think about.
- Azula: Well, that's it then: you had a controlling mother with certain expectations, and if you strayed from them, you were shut down. That's why you're afraid to care about anything... and why you can't express yourself.
- Mai: (stands up, angry) You want me to express myself? LEAVE ME ALONE!
The Avatar and the Fire Lord
- Zuko: [confronting Iroh in his cell] You sent this, didn't you?! I found the "Secret History"- which, by the way, should be re-named the "History Most People Already Know!" The note said I needed to know about my great-grandfather's death, but he was still alive in the end!
- Iroh: No. He wasn't.
- Zuko: What are you talking about?
- Iroh: You have more than one great-grandfather, Prince Zuko. Sozin was your father's grandfather. Your mother's grandfather was Avatar Roku.
- Zuko: (in shock) Why are you telling me this?!
- Iroh: Because understanding the struggle between your two great-grandfathers can help you better understand the battle within yourself. [Zuko drops to his knees] Evil and good are always at war inside you, Zuko. It is your nature, your legacy, but there is a bright side. [Zuko glares at him] What happened generations ago can be resolved now by you. Because of your legacy, you alone can cleanse the sins of our family and the Fire Nation. Born in you, along with all the strife, is the power to restore balance to the world.
- [Iroh lifts a stone in the floor of his cell and pulls out a cloth-wrapped parcel; he unwraps it to reveal the headpiece that Sozin gave to Roku.]
- Iroh: This is a Royal artifact. It's supposed to be worn by the Crown Prince. [he offers it to Zuko, who takes it]
- Katara: You mean after all Roku and Sozin went through together, even after Roku showed him mercy, Sozin betrayed him like that?
- Toph: It's like these people are born bad.
- Aang: No, that's wrong. I don't think that was the point of what Roku showed me at all.
- Sokka: Then what was the point?
- Aang: Roku was just as much Fire Nation as Sozin was, right? If anything, their story proves anyone is capable of great good and great evil. Everyone, even the Fire Lord and the Fire Nation, have to be treated like they're worth giving a chance. And I think it was about friendships too.
- Toph: Do you really think friendships can last more than one lifetime?
- Aang: [Aang takes Toph's hand] I don't see why not.[Katara takes Toph's other]
- Sokka: Well, scientifically speaking there's no way to prove that-
- Katara: Oh, Sokka, just hold hands!
- [Sokka keeps his face turned and grabs Katara's hand.]
- Sokka: Toph, when I was in town I found something you're not going to like (unfurls a wanted poster)
- Toph: Well it sounds like a sheet of paper. But I guess you're referring to what's on the sheet of paper.
- Sokka: It's a wanted poster, of you! They've nicknamed you "The Runaway"
- Toph: A wanted poster! That's so great! "The Runaway"! I love my new nickname! Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?
- Sokka: (looks at the poster; Toph's face on it is only a child-like drawing) Well, yeah, actually, it does look pretty good.
- (Later in the episode)
- Katara: Where have you two been? Off scamming again?
- Toph: Yes, we were.
- Katara: Oh really? And you don't think this is dangerous at all?
- Toph: No, I don't.
- Katara: Well then, what's this? (brandishes the same wanted poster)
- Toph: (seriously irritated) I don't know! I mean, seriously, what's with you people?! I'm blind!
- (Toph and Katara in cage)
- Toph: Wait a minute, it's a trap!
- Katara: (sarcastically) Really? No kidding! Is that why we're trapped in a wooden cage right now? Gee, I wonder how you figured out it was a trap!
- Toph: Not for us, Katara. We're the bait. He wants Aang!
- Katara: Ugh! I can't believe I was so stupid! See, this is exactly why I'm against these scams, I knew this would happen!
- Toph: ...But it was your idea.
- Katara: I know. I wanted to show you I'm not so motherly. That I can have fun too.
- Toph: Katara, you are fun, if nothing else, you're at least fun to argue with.
- Aang: (walking up) Old Man Ding?
- Old Man Ding: (hits his thumb with the hammer) Eeh, yeow! Aw, dang blame it! What? Can't you see I'm busy?! Got a full moon rising. And why does everyone call me that? I'm not that old. (tries to pick up a fallen board) Aww...well, I'm young at heart. [Aang helps him with the board] Not ready to get snapped up by some moon monster, yet, at least.
- Sokka: (takes over the hammering) We wanted to ask you about that.
- Aang: Did you get a good look at the spirit that took you?
- Old Man Ding: Didn't see no spirit. Just felt something come over me, like I was possessed. Forced me to start walking toward the mountain. I tried to fight it, but I couldn't control my own limbs. [demonstrates a walk like he's possessed] It just about had me into a cave up there. And I looked up at the moon, for what I thought would be my last glimpse of light. But then, the sun started to rise. And I got control of myself again! I just high-tailed it away from that mountain as quick as I could!
- Sokka: Why would a spirit want to take people to a mountain?
- Toph: Oh, no!!! I did hear people screaming under the mountain. The missing villagers must still be there.
- Hama: What I'm about to show you, I discovered in that wretched Fire Nation prison. [her flashbacks of her time in the prison are shown as she speaks] The guards were always careful to keep any water away from us. They piped in dry air, and had us suspended away from the ground. Before giving us any water, they would bind our hands and feet so we couldn't bend. Any sign of trouble was met with cruel retribution. And yet, each month I felt the full moon, enriching me with its' energy. There had to be something I could do, to escape. Then... I realized that where there is life, there is water. The rats that scurried across the floor of my cage, were nothing more than skins filled with liquid. And I passed years developing the skill that would lead to my escape... Bloodbending. Controlling the water in another body.[Katara looks horrified] Enforcing your own will over theirs. Once I had mastered the rats... I was ready for the men. And during the next full moon, I walked free, for the first time in decades. My cell unlocked, by the very guards assigned to keep me in. Once you perfect this technique, you can control anything... or, anyone. [glances at Katara]
- Katara: But... to reach inside someone, and control them? I- I don't know if I want that kind of power.
- Hama: The choice is not yours. The power exists! And it's your duty to use the gifts you've been given to win this war! Katara, they tried to wipe us out; our entire culture! Your mother!
- Katara: I know.
- Hama: Then you should understand what I'm talking about. We're the last Waterbenders of the Southern Tribe! We have to fight these people whenever we can, wherever they are with any means necessary.
- Katara: ...It's you. You're the one who's making people disappear during the full moons!
- Hama: They threw me in prison to rot, along with my brothers and sisters! They deserve the same! You must carry on my work.
- Katara: I won't! I won't use Bloodbending, and I won't allow you to keep terrorizing this town! Arrgh!
[Her arms suddenly twist and contort as Hama Bloodbends her]
- Hama: You should have learned the technique before you turned against me! It's impossible to fight your way out of my grip. I control every muscle, every vein in your body!
[She jerks Katara around like a puppet, then forces her to kneel]
- Katara: [tearfully] Stop... please.
[Hama cackles, but Katara draws water from the grass and glares up at her; Hama's smile vanishes]
- Katara: [stands up]... You're not the only one who draws power from the moon. My bending is more powerful than yours, Hama. Your technique is useless on me!
[She and Hama battle with Waterbending; both fight fiercely, but Katara soon overpowers Hama, just as Sokka and Aang arrive]
- Sokka: We know what you've been doing, Hama!
- Aang: Give up! You're outnumbered!
- Hama: No. You've outnumbered yourselves! [She Bloodbends them, forcing them to attack Katara]
- Sokka: [swinging his sword] Katara, look out! It's like my brain has a mind of its' own! Stop it, arm, stop it!
- Aang: This feels weird!
- Katara: [ dodges, then freezes Aang to a tree] Sorry, Aang!
- Aang: It's OK!
[Hama makes Sokka charge Katara again, but she freezes his arm to another tree]
- Hama: Don't hurt your friends, Katara! And don't let them hurt each other!
[She rips Aang and Sokka free, then hurls them at each other with Sokka's sword pointing at Aang]
- Katara: NO!
[Sokka and Aang stop at the last second as Katara Bloodbends Hama, forcing her to kneel. Toph arrives with the captured villagers, who shackle Hama]
- Villager: You're going to be locked away, forever.
- Hama: [smugly] My work is done. Congratulations, Katara. You're a Bloodbender.
[She cackles as she is led away. Katara sinks to the ground and cries as her friends comfort her]
Nightmares and Daydreams
- Sokka (wearing his Wang Fire costume ): Why don't you get right down to business, and tell me what's been bothering you?
- Aang: You know what's been bothering me. I have face to the Fire Lord in a few days!
- Sokka: Mm-hmm. Tell me more about this Fire Lord. Why are you so afraid of him?
- Aang: You said it yourself. He's the baddest man on the planet! I'm supposed to defeat and save the world!
- Sokka: Mmm. Life does feel that way sometimes, doesn't it? Like we're all trying to save the world from evil?
- Aang: Okay, but what can I do to make myself feel better?
- Sokka (holding out a koala sheep): Wanna try screaming into this pillow? (Aang takes it, screams, and the sheep baas)
- (Aang's is daydreaming about professing his love for Katara)
- Aang: Invasion, all aboard for the invasion.
- Katara: You don't look so good, are you sure that you can't lie down and take a little nap?
- Aang: I told you, I can't go to sleep.
- Katara: Aang, staying up all night can't be good for you.
- Aang: Actually staying up all night has given me some time to think and I've realized some big things Katara.
- Katara:What big things?
- Aang: I'm seeing everything so clearly now, what really matters, why I'm really doing this, I'm doing it to save the world, but more than that. I'm doing it for the people I love. I'm doing it for you, Katara.
- Katara: Aang, what are you saying?
- Aang: I'm saying...I love you.
- (Aang gives Katara a peck on the lips, then they start kissing passionately)
- Katara: What are we doing?
- Aang: What our hearts have been telling us to do for a long, long time. Baby, you're my forever girl.
- (Aang goes back to reality)
- Aang: Huh?
- Katara: I was just saying you should take a nap.
- Aang: Oh...I guess I kinda drifted off into a daydream.
- Katara: What was your dream about?
- Aang: Uh...living underwater?
- Katara: Sounds neat!
The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion
- Du: Hoo-wee! There ain't nothing like this back in the swamp! (points at a rock) Whatcha rekon that is, Tho? Some sort of Fire Nation trap exploding trap would eat ya?
- Tho: It's just a rock, Du.
- Du: Well, I'll be!
- Hakoda: Is it just me, or are those fellows a little loose on the leaf hats?
- Bato: I just wish they'd wear pants.
- Huu: Pants are an illusion... and so is death.
- Aang: So... this is it, huh?
- Sokka: Are you ready for the Fire Nation to know that the Avatar's alive?
- Aang: ...I'm ready.
[Team Avatar has a group-hug]
- Hakoda: Everyone, listen up! The next time we re-surface, it'll be on the beaches... so stay alert, and fight smart! Now, break time's over! Back in the subs!
[Toph and Sokka re-enter the sub, leaving Katara and Aang alone, awkwardly]
- Anng: ...Katara, I-
- Katara: I-
[They both pause, flustered]
- Aang:... You go first.
- Katara: We've been through so many things together, and I've seen you grow up so much. You're not that little goofy kid I found in the iceberg anymore. I guess, what I'm trying to say is... I'm really proud of you.
- Aang: ... Everything is gonna be different after today, isn't it?
- Katara: Yes, it is.
- Aang: What if... what if I don't come back?
- Katara: Aang, don't say that. Of course you'll-
[Aang cuts her off by leaning forward and kissing her; after a pause, she leans in]
The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse
- Zuko: For so long, all I wanted was you to love me, to accept me. I thought it was my honor that I wanted, but really, I was just trying to please you. You, my father, who banished me just for talking out of turn. My father, who challenged me, a 13-year-old boy, to an Agni Kai. How can you possibly justify a duel with a child?
- Ozai: (bitterly) It was to teach you respect.
- Zuko: It was cruel! And it was wrong.
- Ozai: Then you have learned nothing.
- Zuko: No, I’ve learned everything! And I had to learn it on my own. Growing up, we were taught that the Fire Nation was the greatest civilization in history and somehow, the war was our way of sharing our greatness with the rest of the world. What an amazing lie that was! The people of the world are terrified by the Fire Nation! They don’t see our greatness - they hate us! And we deserve it. We’ve created an era of fear in the world. And if we don’t want the world to destroy itself, we need to replace it with an era of peace and kindness.
- Ozai: (laughs mockingly) Your Uncle has gotten to you, hasn’t he?
- Zuko: (smiles) ...Yes. He has.
- Zuko: After I leave here today, I'm going to free Uncle Iroh from his prison, and I'm going to beg for his forgiveness. He's the one who's been a real father to me.
- Ozai: [Laughs] That's just beautiful. Maybe he can pass down to you the ways of tea and failure.
- Zuko: But I've come to an even more important decision. I'm gonna join the Avatar, and I'm going to help him defeat you.
- Ozai: Really? Since you're a full blown traitor and you want me gone, why wait? I'm powerless. You've got your swords. Why don't you just do it now?
- Zuko: Because I know my own destiny. Taking you down is the Avatar's destiny. Goodbye.
- Ozai: Coward! You may think that you're brave enough to face me, but you'll only do it during the Eclipse. If you have any real courage, you'll stick around until the sun comes out. Don't you want to hear what happened to your mother?
The Western Air Temple
- Zuko: Hello, Zuko here. But I guess you probably already know me, sort of. Uh so, the thing is I have a lot of Firebending experience and I'm considered to be pretty good at it. Well you've seen me... you know when I was attacking you? Uh yeah, I guess I should apologize for that, but anyway I'm good now. I mean, I thought I was good before but now I realize I was bad, but anyway... I think it's time I joined your group and taught the Avatar Firebending.
- (Camera zooms out to show Zuko is talking to a big frog. The frog croaks)
- Zuko: Well, what's your answer!?
- (The frog jumps on Zuko's head, then leaps away)
- Zuko: Yeah, that's what I'd say too.
- Zuko: Hey, I heard you guys flying around down there, so I just thought I'd wait for you here. I know you must be surprised to see me here.
- Sokka: Not really, since you've followed us all over the world.
- Zuko: Right... Well, uh... anyway, what I wanted to tell you about is that I've changed, and I uh, I'm good now. And, well, I think I should join your group. Oh, and I can teach firebending... to you. See, I uh...
- Toph: You want to what now?!
- Katara: You can't possibly think that any of us would trust you, can you? I mean, how stupid do you think we are?
- Sokka: Yeah, all you've ever done is try to hunt us down and capture Aang.
- Zuko: I've done some good things. I mean, I could've stolen your bison in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free. That's something.
- [Appa licks him from behind]
- Aang: Appa does seem to like him.
- Sokka: He probably just covered himself in honey or something so that Appa would lick him. I'm not buying it.
- Zuko: I can understand why you wouldn't trust me, and I know I've made some mistakes in the past.
- Sokka: Like when you attacked our village?
- Katara: Or when you stole my mother's necklace and used it to track us down and capture us?
- Zuko: Look, I admit I've done some awful things. I was wrong to try to capture you, and I'm sorry that I attacked the Water Tribe. And I never should've sent that Fire Nation assassin after you. I'm gonna try to stop him-
- Sokka: [draws his boomerang] Wait, you sent Combustion Man after us?!?!
- Zuko: Well, that's not his name, but...
- Sokka: Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to insult your friend.
- Zuko: He's not my friend!
- Toph: That guy locked me and Katara in jail and tried to blow us all up!
- Zuko: ... [to Aang] Why aren't you saying anything? You once said you thought we could be friends. You know I have good in me.
The Firebending Masters
- Zuko: Listen everybody; I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff.
- Toph: Don't look at me. I didn't touch your stuff.
- Zuko: I'm talking about my firebending. It's gone.
- Katara: [laughs] I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know... how it would have been nice for us if you lost your firebending a long time ago?
- Zuko: Well it's not lost. It's just weaker for some reason.
- Katara: Maybe you're just not as good as you think you are.
- Toph: Ouch.
- Zuko: ...I bet it's because I changed sides.
- Katara: That's ridiculous.
- Aang: I don't know. Maybe it isn't. Maybe your firebending comes from rage, and you just don't have enough anger to fuel it the way you used to.
- Sokka: So, all we need to do is make Zuko angry... easy enough.
- [he proceeds to nudge Zuko in the waist and head with the hilt of his sword several times]
- Zuko: OKAY!! CUT IT OUT!!! Look... even if you're right, I don't want to rely on hate and anger anymore. There has to be another way.
- [after being judged by the masters and seeing their fire]
- Zuko: Their fire was beautiful. I saw so many colors, colors I've never imagined.
- Aang: Like firebending harmony.
- Sun Warrior Chief: Yes. They judged you, and gave you visions of the meaning of firebending.
- Zuko: I can't believe there are still living dragons. My Uncle Iroh said he faced the last dragon and killed it.
- Sun Warrior Chief: Actually, it wasn't a total lie. Iroh was the last outsider to face the masters. They deemed him worthy and passed the secret onto him as well.
- Zuko: He must have lied to protect them, so no one else would hunt them.
- Aang: All this time, I thought firebending was destruction. Since I hurt Katara, I've been too afraid and hesitant. But now I know what it really is... it's energy, and life.
- Zuko: Yeah. It's like the Sun, but inside of you. Do you guys realize this?
- Sun Warrior Chief: Well, our civilization is called the Sun Warriors... so yeah.
The Boiling Rock, Part 1
- Sokka: Pretty clouds.
- Zuko: Yeah.. fluffy. [Sokka begins to whistle due to awkward silence]
- Zuko: What?
- Sokka: Wha-- Oh! I didn't say anything. [Brief silence]
- Sokka: You know, a friend of mine designed these war balloons.
- Zuko: No kidding.
- Sokka: Yep! A balloon... but for war.
- Zuko: (darkly) If there's one thing my dad's good at, it's war.
- Sokka: Yeah, it seems to run in the family.
- Zuko: Hey. Hold on, not everyone in my family is like that.
- Sokka: I know. I know, you've changed.
- Zuko: I meant my uncle... He was more than a father to me... And I really let him down.
- Sokka: I think your uncle would be proud of you. Leaving your home to come help us. That's hard.
- Zuko: It wasn't that hard.
- Sokka: Really? You didn't leave anyone behind you care about?
- Zuko: Well, I did have a girlfriend. Mai.
- Sokka: That gloomy girl who sighs a lot?
- Zuko: Yeah. [smiles] Everyone in the Fire Nation thinks I'm a traitor. I couldn't drag her into it.
- Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon. [frowns]
- Zuko: That's rough, buddy.
- Zuko:(attemping to inspire Sokka to not quit and stay at the prison and rescue his dad) No, it's not, Sokka. Look, you're going to fail a lot before things work out...
- Sokka: This is supposed to make me feel better?!
- Zuko: Even though you'll probably fail over and over again...
- Sokka: Seriously, you're not helping!
- Zuko: You have to try every time. You can't quit because you're afraid you might fail.
The Boiling Rock Part 2
- Sokka: Zuko! Good, we're all here. Now all we need to do is grab the warden, and get to the gondolas!
- Zuko: And how do we do that?
- Sokka: ...I'm not sure.
- Zuko: [Groans.] I thought you thought this through!
- Sokka: I thought you told me it's okay not to think everything through!
- Zuko: Maybe not everything, but this is kind of important!
- Chit Sang: Hey, uh, fellas. I think your girlfriend's taking care of it.
[Suki hops up on the heads of the rioters, then jump and flip onto the tower. She easily defeats the first guard with a few quick jabs. Two more guards arrive. She ducks a fire blast and sweeps the first one and then dodges the second one's fire blast and continues to climb the tower. She makes it up to the top and defeats the final guard with a sliding kick. She then grabs the warden by the fist.)
- Warden: You wouldn't dare.
- Suki: [twists his wrist, ties his hands together and uses his headband as a gag.] Sorry, warden. You're my prisoner now. [Slams the warden against the wall; the rest of the escapees arrive.] We've got the warden! Now let's get out of here!
- Hakoda: (panting) That's some girl.
- Sokka: (Panting, proudly.) Tell me about it.
[Mai is brought before Azula after she helped Zuko, Sokka and their friends escape]
- Azula: Leave us alone. (the guards withdraw) I never expected this from you. (Mai stares her down defiantly; Ty Lee looks fearfully from her to Azula) The thing I don't understand, is why? Why would you do it? You know the consequences.
- Mai:... I guess you don't know people as well as you think you do. You miscalculated. I love Zuko... more than I fear you.
- Azula: (enraged) No, YOU miscalculated! You should've feared me more!!
[As she raises her hands to generate lightning, Mai draws one of her shurikens. Just as Azula is about to strike, Ty Lee strikes her pressure points and paralyzes her, to everyone's amazement]
- Ty Lee: (to Mai) Come on, let's get out of here!
[They try to flee, but the guards quickly surround and arrest them. Two of the guards help Azula to her feet]
- Azula: You're both fools!!
- Guard: What shall we do with them, Princess?
- Azula: Put them somewhere I'll never have to see their faces again... and let them rot!
The Southern Raiders
[Yon Rha is heading home in the rain; he hears someone following him several times, then finally stops]
- Yon Rha: Nobody sneaks up on me without getting burned!
[He Firebends at a bush behind him, but nothing happens. As he turns to continue, he falls over a tripwire; when he tries to get up, a fire blast stops him]
- Zuko: We weren't behind the bush. [he advances on Yon Rha] And I wouldn't try Firebending again.
- Yon Rha: Whoever you are, take my money. Take whatever you want! I'll cooperate.
- Katara: [Approaches and pulls back her hood] Do you know who I am?
- Yon Rha: No...I'm not sure.
- Katara: [angrily] Oh, you'd better remember me, like your life depends on it! Why don't you take a closer look?!
- Yon Rha: Yes... yes! I remember you, now! You're that little Water Tribe girl!
[In a flashback, Yon Rha is shown confronting Kya and a young Katara during his raid on the Southern Water Tribe.]
- Kya: Just let her go, and I'll give you the information you want.
- Yon Rha: You heard your mother. Get out of here!
- Katara: Mom... I'm scared...
- Kya: Go find your Dad, sweetie. I'll handle this. [Katara runs off]
- Yon Rha: Now, tell me: who is it? Who's the Waterbender?
- Kya: There are no Waterbenders here. The Fire Nation took them all away, a long time ago.
- Yon Rha: You're lying. My source says there's one Waterbender left in the Southern Water Tribe. We're not leaving until we find the Waterbender!
- Kya: If I tell you... do you promise to leave the rest of the village alone? [Yon Rha grunts and nods]... It's me. Take me as your prisoner.
- Yon Rha: [smirks] I'm afraid I'm not taking prisoners, today.
[In the present, Yon Rha gulps]
- Katara:... She lied to you! [turns away, tearfully] She was protecting the last Waterbender.
- Yon Rha: What?! Who?
- Katara: [spins around, furious] ME!
[She bends the rain, stopping it mid-fall, then forms the water into a huge dome around them; Zuko watches, amazed. Katara morphs the water into ice spears and hurls them at Yon Rha, who cowers, but she stops them inches from his face, then dissolves them back into water]
- Yon Rha: [scrambling to grovel in front of her] I did a bad thing, I know I did! And you deserve revenge! So why don't you take my mother? That would be fair!
- Katara: I always wondered, what kind of person could do such a thing. But, now that I see you, I think I understand. There's just...nothing inside you. Nothing at all. You're pathetic, and sad, and empty.
- Yon Rha: [whimpering] Please, spare me!
- Katara: But as much as I hate you... I just can't do it.
- Aang: Katara... are you okay?
- Katara: I'm doing fine.
- Aang: Zuko told me what you did... or what you didn't do, I guess. I'm proud of you.
- Katara: I wanted to do it. I wanted to take out all my anger at him, but I couldn't. I don't know if it's because I'm to weak to do it, or because I'm strong enough not to.
- Aang: You did the right thing. Forgiveness is the first step you have to take to begin healing.
- Katara: But I didn't forgive him. [pause] I'll never forgive him. [to Zuko] But I am ready to forgive you.
[She hugs Zuko, then walks away]
- Zuko: You were right about what Katara needed. Violence wasn't the answer.
- Aang: It never is.
- Zuko: Then, I have a question for you... what are you going to do, when you face my father?
[Aang looks away uneasily]
The Ember Island Players
- Katara: Doesn't it seem kind of weird that we're hiding from the Firelord in his own house?
- Zuko: I told you, my family hasn't come here since we were actually happy, and that was a long time ago. It's the last place anyone would think to look for us.
- (Sokka comes running in)
- Sokka: You guys are not gonna believe this... there's a play about us!
- Suki: We were just in town and we saw this poster! [reveals poster about the play]
- Katara: What? How is that possible?
- Sokka: Listen to this: "The Boy In The Iceberg is a new production from acclaimed playwright Pu-On Tim, who scoured the globe gathering information on the Avatar, from the icy South Pole to the heart of Ba Sing Se. His sources include singing nomads, pirates, prisoners of war, and a surprisingly knowledgeable merchant of cabbage."
- Suki: "Brought to you by the critically acclaimed Ember Island Players.
- Zuko: Ugh. My mother used to take us to see them. They butchered "Love Amongst the Dragons" every year!
- Katara: Sokka, do you really think it's a good idea for us to attend a play about ourselves?
- Sokka: Come on, a day at the theater! This is the kind of wacky time-wasting nonsense I've been missing!
- Toph: Geez, everyone is getting so upset about their characters. Even you seem more down than usual. And that's saying something.
- Zuko: You don't get it. It's different for you. You get a muscly version of yourself taking down ten bad guys at once and making sassy remarks.
- Toph: Yeah, that's pretty great.
- Zuko: But for me, it takes all the mistakes I have made in my life and shoves them back in my face. My uncle. He's always been on my side even when thing were bad. He was there for me. He taught me so much. And how do I repay him? With a knife in his back. It's my greatest regret and I may never get to redeem myself.
- Toph: You have redeemed yourself to your uncle. You don't realize it, but you already have.
- Zuko: How do you know?
- Toph: Beacause I once had a long conversation with the guy. And all he would talk about was you.
- Zuko: Really?
- Toph: Yeah, and it was kind of annoying.
- Zuko: Oh, sorry.
- Toph: But it was also very sweet. All your uncle wanted was for you to follow your own path and see the light. Now you're here with us. He'd be proud. (Toph punches him on the shoulder)
- Zuko: Ow! What was that for?!
- Toph: That's how I show affection.
Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King
- General Shinu: Ba Sing Se is still under our control. However, earthbender rebellions has prevented us from achieving total victory.
- Ozai: What is your recommendation?
- General Shinu: Our army is spread too thin. But once the eclipse is over and the invasion defeated, we should transfer more domestic forces into the Earth Kingdom.
- Ozai: Hmm, Prince Zuko, you've been among the Earth Kingdom commoners. Do you think adding more troops will stop these rebellions?
- Zuko: ...The people of the Earth Kingdom are proud and strong. They can endure anything as long as they have hope.
- Ozai: Yes, you're right. We need to destroy their hope.
- Zuko: Well, that's not exactly what I-
- Azula: I think you should take their precious hope and the rest of their land and burn it all to the ground.
- Ozai: Yes. Yes, you're right, Azula. Sozin's Comet is almost upon us, and on that day, it will endow us with the strength and power of a hundred suns. No bender will stand a chance against us.
- General Shinu: What are you suggesting, sir?
- Ozai: When the comet last came, my grandfather, Fire Lord Sozin, used it to wipe out the Air Nomads. Now, I will use its power to end the Earth Kingdom ... permanently. From our airships, we will rain fire over their lands, a fire that will destroy everything; and out of the ashes, a new world will be born, a world in which all the lands are Fire Nation and I am the supreme ruler of everything!
[The generals applaud as Zuko's flashback ends]
- Zuko: I wanted to speak out against this horrifying plan... but, I'm ashamed to say I didn't. My whole life, I struggled to gain my father's love and acceptance. But once I had it, I realized I'd lost myself getting there. I'd forgotten who I was.
- Katara:...I can't believe this.
- Sokka: [shocked] I always knew the Fire Lord was a bad guy, but his plan is just pure evil.
- Aang: What am I gonna do?
- Zuko: I know you're scared. And I know you're not ready to save the world. But if you don't defeat the Fire Lord before the Comet comes... there won't be a world to save, anymore.
- Azula: Sorry I’m late, Father. Good palanquin bearers are so hard to come by these days. So, is everything ready for our departure?
- Ozai: There has been a change of plans, Azula.
- Azula: What?
- Ozai: I’ve decided to lead the fleet of airships to Ba Sing Se alone. You will remain here in the Fire Nation.
- Azula: But I thought we were going to do this together!
- Ozai: My decision is final.
- Azula: You ... you can’t treat me like this. You can’t treat me like Zuko!
- Ozai: Azula, silence yourself.
- Azula: But it was my idea to burn everything to the ground! I deserve to be by your side!
- Ozai: Azula! Listen to me. I need you here to watch over the homeland, it’s a very important job that I can only entrust to you.
- Azula: Really?
- Ozai: And for your loyalty, I’ve decided to declare you the new Fire Lord.
- Azula: "Fire Lord Azula"... it does seem appropriate. But, what about you?
- Ozai: Fire Lord Ozai is no more. Just as the world will be reborn in fire, I shall be reborn as the supreme ruler of the world. From this moment on, I will be known as... the “Phoenix King”!
Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters
- Sokka: Hey, I remember her. She helped you attack us!
- Zuko: Yup, back in the good ol' days.
- June: Oh, great. It's Prince Pouty. Where's your creepy grandpa?
- Zuko: He's my uncle... and he's not here.
- June: I see you worked things out with your girlfriend.
- (Katara and Zuko together):
- Katara: I'm not his girlfriend!
- Zuko: She's not my girlfriend!
- June: Okay, okay, sheesh! I was only teasing. So what do you want?
- Zuko: I need your help finding the Avatar.
- June: Hm. Doesn't sound too fun.
- Zuko: Does the end of the world sound like more fun?!
- Zuko apologizes to Iroh for his previous betrayal at Ba Sing Se
- Zuko: Uncle, I know you must have mixed feelings about seeing me. But I want you to know... I am so, so sorry, uncle. (starts crying) I am so sorry and ashamed of what I did! I don't know how I can ever make it up to you, but I...
- (Iroh grabs Zuko by his shirt and embraces him)
- Zuko: How can you forgive me so easily?! I thought you would be furious with me!
- Iroh: I was never angry with you. I was sad, because I was afraid you'd lost your way.
- Zuko: I did lose my way.
- Iroh: But you found it again! And you did it by yourself! And I'm so happy you found your way here.
- Zuko: It wasn't that hard, uncle. You have a pretty strong scent.
Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno
[Azula, having banished all her servants, attempts to arrange her hair in a topknot, but it becomes lopsided, enraging her]
- Azula: [grabs a pair of scissors] Alright, hair, it's time to face your doom!
[She cuts off her two tresses unevenly, then notices her mother's reflection in the mirror]
- Ursa: What a shame. You always had such beautiful hair.
- Azula: What are you doing here?!
- Ursa: I didn't want to miss my own daughter's coronation.
- Azula: Don't pretend to act proud. I know what you really think of me. You think I'm a monster.
- Ursa: I think you're confused. All your life, you've used fear to control people, like your friends Mai and Ty Lee.
- Azula: [spins around] Well, what choice do I have?! Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way. Even you fear me.
- Ursa: No. I love you, Azula. I do.
[Azula's lip trembles. After a pause, she spins around and throws a hairbrush at the mirror with a scream of rage, shattering it. Alone, she sinks to her knees and sobs]
- Fire Sage: By decree of Phoenix King Ozai, I now crown you Fire Lord...
- Azula: What are you waiting for?! Do it!
[She looks up to see Appa landing in the square, with Zuko and Katara on his back.]
- Zuko: Sorry, but you're not gonna become Fire Lord today. (jumps down) I am.
- Azula: (laughs) You're hilarious.
- Katara: And you're going down!
[The Fire Sage attempts to crown Azula, but she stops him]
- Azula: Wait. You want to be Fire Lord? Fine. Let's settle this; just you and me, brother. The showdown that was always meant to be! Agni Kai!
- Zuko: ...You're on. (Azula grins)
- Katara: (to Zuko) What are you doing? She's playing you! She knows she can't take us both, so she's trying to separate us!
- Zuko: I know, but I can take her this time.
- Katara: But even you admitted to your uncle that you would need help facing Azula!
- Zuko:... There's something off about her. I can't explain it, but she's slipping. And this way, no one else has to gets hurt.
[Katara nods. Zuko and Azula take up positions at each end of the square.]
- Azula: (sneering) I'm sorry it has to end this way, brother.
- Zuko: (grimly) No, you're not.
Sozin's Comet, Part 4: Avatar Aang
- [Sokka, Suki, and Toph have liberated an airship.]
- Sokka: Good work, Toph. Time to take control of the ship. Take the wheel.
- Toph: [sarcastic] That's a great idea! Let a blind girl steer the giant airship!
- Sokka: I was talking to Suki.
- Toph: That would make a lot more sense.
[Aang, in the Avatar State, has immobilized Ozai in stone restraints]
- Aang and all his past lives: [in the Avatar State] FIRE LORD OZAI, YOU AND YOUR FOREFATHERS HAVE DEVASTATED THE BALANCE OF THIS WORLD. AND NOW, YOU SHALL PAY THE ULTIMATE PRICE!
[Aang prepares to deliver the final blow using all four elements. Ozai closed his eyes, but Aang leaves the Avatar State and the elements fall apart at the last minute and Ozai's restraints crumble as Aang lowers himself to the ground.
- Aang: No. I'm not going to end it like this.
- Ozai: [sneering] Even with all the power in the world, you are still weak.
Ozai tries to attack Aang from behind, but Aang senses his attack through vibrations in the ground. Restraining Ozai's arms with Earthbending again, he places his hands on Ozai's chest and forehead.
- Lion Turtle: [in flashback] In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves. To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable... or else you will be corrupted and destroyed.
[Aang's mouth and eyes glow blue, which spreads across his body. Ozai's eyes and mouth glow orange and do the same. At first, Ozai's energy nearly overwhelms Aang, but then Aang's energy stabilizes and overcomes Ozai's energy completely. Aang releases Ozai, who tries to attack him again, but simply staggers weakly to his knees.]
- Ozai: What...what did you do to me?
- Aang: I took away your Firebending. You can't use it to hurt or threaten anyone else ever again.
- [Zuko is having trouble putting on his coronation robes due to his injuries]
- Mai: Need some help with that?
- Zuko: Mai! You're okay. They let you out of prison?
- Mai: My uncle pulled some strings. And it doesn't hurt when the new Fire Lord is your boyfriend.
- Zuko: So...Does it mean you don't hate me anymore?
- Mai: I think it means, I actually kind of like you.
- [They kiss]
- Mai: (pokes his shoulder with her finger twice) But don't ever break up with me again. (Zuko smiles guiltily and embraces her)
[Aang and the rest of Team Avatar are relaxing in Iroh's tea shop as Zuko serves them tea]
- Sokka: Zuko, stop moving! I'm trying to capture the moment. I wanted to do a painting so we always remember the good times together.
- Katara: That's very thoughtful of you, Sokka. (sees the painting, frowns) Wait. Why did you give me Momo's ears?
- Sokka: [offended] Those are your hair loopies!
- Zuko: [Looks at the painting] At least you don't look like a boar-cupine. My hair is not that spiky!
- Mai: I look like a man.
- Suki: And why did you paint me firebending?
- Sokka: I thought it would look more exciting that way
- [Momo makes a sound]
- Sokka: Oh, you think you can do a better job, Momo?
- Iroh: Hey, my belly's not that big anymore. I really trimmed down.
- Toph: Well, I think you all look perfect.
- (everyone except Sokka laughs)