How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000 film)
(Redirected from How the Grinch Stole Christmas (film))Jump to navigation Jump to search
- For the 1966 animated cartoon, see How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV special).
- The Grinch: [after Max scared off some teen Whos] Well done, Max! Serves them right, those yuletide-loving... sickly-sweet, nog-sucking cheer mongers! [picks up an onion] I really don't like 'em. Mm-mm. No, I don't. [eats the onion] MAX! [Max whimpers] Get my cloak. [Max runs back inside] I've been much too tolerant of these Who-venile delinquents, and their innocent, victim-less pranks. [rubs his pits with the onion] So they wanna get to know me, do they? [throws away the onion] They want to spend a little quality time with the Grinch. [turns to the camera] I guess I could use a little... social interaction. [shows off a sinister-looking smile; the scene fades to Whoville with a view of Max and the Grinch's feet]
- Whoville Bike Men: Merry Christmas!
- Mr. Grinch: Oh, yeah. You bet, and ho, ho, ho, and... stuff. [The bikers fall down, blocking traffic.] Oh, my. Someone has vandalized that vehicle. You see, Max? The city is a dangerous place.
- Narrator: The Grinch hated Christmas. The whole Christmas season.
- Who Officer: Top of the day.
- Grinch: Flatfoot.
- Narrator: Now, please, don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
- Grinch: [gives two Who girls a bandsaw] Hey, kids. Here's a present for ya. Be sure to run real fast with it now. All right, come on. Double time. Let's go! Move, move, move, move, move!
- Narrator: It could be that his head wasn't screwed on just right. Or it could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight. But I think that the most likely reason of all...
- Who: Merry Christmas!
- Grinch: Is it?
- Narrator: ...May have been that his heart was 2 sizes too small.
- Whoville Hat Salesman: Hey, stranger! Won't let you go until you buy a chapeau! [The Grinch pulls off his mask, loudly belches, blows odor on him, making him fall. The Grinch pulls his mask back on, and laughs evilly.]
- Drew: DAD?! DAAAAAAAD!
- [Drew and the other teen Whos are covered in snow]
- Lou Who: What happened to you?
- Stu: It was THE GRINCH!
- [A record scratch sound effect is heard, blocking traffic again.]
- Female People: Grinch?!
- Grinch: What do you want? I mean– [mocks female voice] Grinch!? Oh, no!
- Cindy Lou Who: But, Dad, I just don't understand something. Why won't anyone talk about the Grinch?
- Lou Lou Who: [puts stuff inside] You kids and the Grinch. You see, Cindy, the Grinch is a Who who... well, is actually not a Who. He's... He's more of a…
- Cindy Lou: A what?
- Lou: Exactly, honey. And he's a What who... doesn't like Christmas. Take a look at his mailbox, sweetie. Not a single Christmas card in or out... ever.
- Cindy: But why?
- Lou: Well…
- Post Office Person: Lou, where's my mail?
- Post Office Person 2: Lou, I got the wrong mail here!
- Post Office Person 3: Lou, I got the wrong mail!
- Lou: Uh, I'll be right there. Whoop!
- Post Office Person 4: We got a problem!
- Lou: All right. Uh, we'll straighten this out.
- Grinch: [at the back room of the post office with Max by the sorting machine; laughing evilly] It'll take them years to sort this out. This is his and now it's yours, and this is hers and now it's his! [laughs schemingly] And for the rest of you... [turns around by the sorting machine, then starts throwing everyone's mail in the wrong boxes] ...Jury duty, Jury duty, Jury duty, blackmail, pink slip, chain letter, eviction notice, Jury duty! [throws more mail into the wrong boxes as he emits a light giggle of amusement] Gee-e-e-e-e-eee…!
- Lou Lou Who: Would you mind helping me? Take this to the back room, honey. But, be careful of the sorting machine, right?
- Cindy: Yeah.
- Grinch: [as Max sneezes] Gesundheit.
- [Max growls; this causes Cindy Lou to see the Grinch and Max, and she screams, and the Grinch screams back; drops down to the ground and snorts.]
- Cindy: You're the, the, the, the…
- Grinch: [imitating Cindy] "The, the, the, the…" [normal voice; loudly] THE GRINCH!
- Cindy: Aah! [falls down a mail shaft] Help!
- Grinch: Well...
- Cindy: Help!
- Grinch: ...That worked out nicely.
- Cindy: Help! [big stamp stamps fragile on present; muffled] Help me! Somebody!
- Grinch: [to Max] Max, let's go. Our work here is finished. [chomps] Sheesh!
- Cindy: Help me! Please! Help!
- Grinch: [sees Max biting his own cloak] That is not a chew toy! Stop it, Max! Get that out of your mouth! You have no idea where it's been!
- [Cindy screams, and a whistle blows]
- Cindy: Help!
- Grinch: [scowls; annoyed] Ohhh... Bleeding hearts of the world, UNITE!
- Cindy: Help! Help!
- Grinch: [saves Cindy] There. [takes back his goofy mask] Give me that! DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE THINGS THAT DON'T BELONG TO YOU?! WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU, YOU SOME KIND OF WILD ANIMAL?! HUH?!
- Cindy: [shaking her head] Uh-uh.
- Grinch: [to Max] Let's go. [heads to the exit]
- Cindy: Thanks for saving me.
- Grinch: [screeches to a stop, fingers scrape against glass, turns around angrily] Saving you? Is that what you think I was doing?
- Cindy: [nods] Uh-huh.
- Grinch: [wags finger] Wrong-o. [grabs wrapping paper] I merely noticed that you were improperly packaged, my dear! [begins wrapping Cindy Lou wildly in wrapping paper] DRAT! Hold still! [stops wrapping, to Max] Max, pick out a bow! [resumes wrapping Cindy Lou in wrapping paper, stops] Can I use your finger for a second?
- Cindy: Hello? Hello!
- Grinch: [puts on his mask] Ow.
- Lou Lou Who: [enters back room] Cindy?
- Cindy: Dad. [Lou sees her covered in gift wrapping that the Grinch wrapped her up with earlier] Daddy! Daddy!
- Lou Lou Who: What the hey? Honey? Cindy?
- Cindy: [removes gift wrapping] Dad, it was amazing!
- Lou: You've been practicing your Christmas wrapping. Honey, I'm so proud of you.
- Cindy: Uh… Oh. Well…
- Lou: Now that's holiday!
- Narrator: Sweet little Cindy didn't know what to do. In her head bum-tumbled a conflict or two; "If the Grinch was so bad, then why did he save me? Maybe he wasn't so bad."
- Lou: Come on, let's go home.
- Narrator: "Maybe. Just maybe."
- Grinch: [catapults the red "Hazardous Waste" bag at the picture of Augustus] Oooh! Sweet. [singing] ♪ Be it ever so...heinous, there's no place like home. ♪ [as he goes down the elevator] 1st floor, factory rejects. Those Whos are hard to frazzle, Max. But we did our worst and that's all that matters. [referring to Cindy] At least I scared the bejeebles outta that little in the post office. [jumps down from the elevator] She'll be scarred for life if we're lucky. [walks behind his wardrobe, humming merrily as he puts on his housecoat] Ah! DAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! [creeps from behind his wardrobe, then stands up straight] Funny she didn't rat on us though. Must be afraid of reprisals. [sees the tiny red heart beating on his X-ray] Yes! Down a size 1/2! [breaks the fourth wall; to the audience watching] And this time, I'll keep it off. [frowns and walks out of frame; to Max, shaking hand quickly] Get the stick, Max! Get the stick! [throws his hand towards Max's direction; Max barks and runs in that direction, while the Grinch chortles to himself] There's no stick. I'm smarter. [takes a running leap onto his bed] Any calls? [turns his phone on]
- Phone: You have no messages.
- Grinch: Odd. Better check the outgoing. [presses another button]
- Phone Message (Grinch's voice): If you utter so much as one syllable, I'LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GUT YOU LIKE A FISH! If you'd like to fax me, press the star key. [phone beeps]
- Grinch: Hmm. Hmm? [turns his machine off] Oh, well. [jumps off his bed and slides to his chair as he screams and laughs gleefully] That's more like it. [he pulls off his socks while singing nonsense; the socks crawl away, and the Grinch bites off a piece of a glass bottle; puts his finger into his mouth, gags and continues to crunch the glass bottle] Mmm. Excellent year. [puts down glass bottle] I'll tell ya, Max. I don't know why I ever leave this place. I've got all the company I need... right here. Hello! [echoes] How are you? [echoes] I asked you first! [echoes; sarcastically] Oh, that's really mature, saying exactly what I say! [echoes]
- Grinch: [thinks for a second] I'm an idiot!
- Echo: YOU'RE AN IDIOT, YOU'RE AN IDIOT, YOU'RE AN IDIOT, AN IDIOT, AN IDIOT, IDIOT....!
- Grinch: [gruffly whispering] All right, fine! I'm not talking to you anymore. In fact, I'm going to whisper, so that by the time my voice reverberates off the walls and it gets back to me, I won't be able to hear it. [covers his ears]
- Echo: [after a brief silence] YOU'RE AN IDIOT, YOU'RE AN IDIOT, YOU'RE AN IDIOT, AN IDIOT, AN IDIOT, IDIOT....!
- Grinch: [breaks and eats the glass bottle] Am I eating because I'm bored?
- Narrator: So whatever the reason, his heart or his shoes, he stood outside his cave( on Christmas Eve)... hating the Whos.
- Grinch: [brings out a Whoville phone book] Alphabetically. [raises finger, hits against name in book] Aadvarkian Abakenezer-Who, I... [bellows down] HATE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!! [stops] Aaron B. Benson Who, I hate you. [pointing at various names] Hate, hate, hate. Hate, hate, hate. Double hate. [pause, widens eyes; venomously] LOATHE ENTIRELY!! [hears music playing in Whoville] Nutcrackers! [closes the book] It's their Whobilation!
- Narrator: ...He snarled with a sneer.
- Grinch: [shocked gasp] Tomorrow is Christmas.
It's practically here.
MAX! FETCH ME MY SEDATIVE! [inside his cave; with a hammer] Now, to take care of those pesky memories. [hits himself with the hammer and falls over, moaning]
- Grinch: [trying to drown out the Whos' singing, turns on a mechanical monkey that plays cymbals] Play, monkey! Play! Play, play, play! [rides a jackhammer while vocalizing; he soon wipes out] OWWIEE!!
- Cindy: [knocks on the door] Mr. Grinch? [knocks on the door again] Mr. Grinch! [opens Max's doggie door] Hello? [crawls into the Grinch's cave; she finds him standing with his head in the path of the monkey's cymbals, yelling gibberish each time they hit his head. Taps his shoulder] Excuse me?
- Grinch: Hmm? [sticks his head out and grabs the monkey's cymbals; the monkey short-circuits and it's motor slowly powers down; turns slowly to Cindy with a furious look as the monkey's motor stops] Hello... little girl. [angrily] HOW DARE YOU ENTER THE GRINCH'S LAIR?! THE IMPUDENCE! THE AUDACITY! THE UNMITIGATED GALL! You've called down the thunder. Now, get ready... FOR THE BOOOOOOM! Gaze into the face... of fear. BOOGA-BOOGA!
- Cindy: [calmly] Mr. Grinch, my name is Cindy Lou Who.
- Grinch: [thinking he's scaring Cindy] You see? Even now the terror is welling up inside you!
- Cindy: I'm not scared.
- Grinch: Denial is to be expected in the face of pure evil. [makes psychotic growling noises]
- Cindy: I don't think so!
- Grinch: Doubt?! Another unmistakable sign of the heebie-jeebies! Now, you're doomed. [jumps out of frame, then jumps back in wearing a white t-shirt and making animalistic noises, ripping the shirt apart] RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, BEFORE I KILL AGAIN! [howls] I'm a psycho. [growls, puts shirt in his mouth, spits it out, jumps around Cindy Lou frantically] Danger, danger! [repeatedly growls, but suddenly stops as he is out of breath]
- Cindy: Um... maybe you need a time-out. [giggles after the Grinch looks dumbfounded]
- Grinch: [aside, to the camera; breaking the fourth wall again] Kids today. So desensitized by movies and television. (Anyways…) [to Cindy] WHAT DO YOU WANT?! [echoes]
- Cindy: Mr. Grinch, I came to invite you... to be Holiday Cheermeister.
- Grinch: Uh... "Holiday whobie whatie"?
- Cindy: Cheermeister.
- Grinch: Huh? "Whoville(cordially invites you to be Holiday) Cheermeister (at the Whobilation 1,000 Celebration)! Celebrate (and dine) with friends!". [laughing raucously] AAH!! That's a good one. [wheezes]
- Cindy: [following him] I know you hate Christmas, but what if it's all just a misunderstanding?
- Grinch: Don't care.
- Cindy: I mean, I myself am having some Yuletide doubts. [Grinch makes snoring noises] But maybe if you can reunite with the Whos and be a part of Christmas...
- Grinch: [mimics Cindy in a nasally voice] "Maybe if you can reunite with the Whos and be a part of Christmas…" [normal voice] Grow up!
- Cindy: ...then maybe it'll be all right for me too!
- Grinch: I'm sorry, your session is over. Please make another appointment with the receptionist on the way out.
- Cindy: Please, please! You have to accept the award!
- Grinch: [gasps; stops in surprise] "Award"? [rapidly grabs and dips Cindy attentively] You never mentioned... an award.
- Cindy: Yeah, with a trophy and everything.
- Grinch: And I won?
- Cindy: You won!
- Grinch: That means there were losers.
- Cindy: I guess. So, if you come--
- Grinch: [gleefully] A town full of losers! I like it! Was anyone... emotionally shattered? (Well...?) Come on! A minute ago, I couldn't shut you up! Details, details!
- Cindy: Well, the Mayor wasn't happy.
- Grinch: [with relish] Oh, no.
- Cindy: [smiling] Martha May will be there.
- Grinch: [smiling back] Oh, she will?
- Cindy: [nodding] Mm-hm.
- Grinch: And she'll see me... a winner.
- Cindy: [nods again]
- Grinch: She'll be on me like fleegle flies on a flat-faced floogle horse! [dramatically] WELL, I'M SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU, MARTHA BABY, BUT THE G-TRAIN HAS LEFT THE STATION!
- Cindy: So will you come?
- Grinch: [shrugging] Oh, all right. (I'll think about it.)
- [Cindy giggles]
- Grinch: [leading her to the front door, acting happy] I don't know if it's that adorable twinkle in your eye, or that nonconformist streak that reminds me of a younger less hairy me, but you've convinced me! Who knows? This Whobilation could change my entire outlook on life!
- Cindy: Really?
- Grinch: [grumpy again] No. [pulls a rope, opening up the garbage chute beneath her and sending her back to Whoville]
- Grinch: [screams and lands in his chair] Nerve of those Whos. Inviting me down there... on such short notice! Even if I wanted to go, my schedule wouldn't allow it! [opens his schedule] "4:00; wallow in self-pity. 4:30; stare into the abyss. 5:00; solve world hunger." Tell no one. "5:30; jazzercise. 6:30; dinner with me." I can't cancel that again. "7:00; wrestle with myself loathing…" I'm booked! Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9:00, I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. [beat] But what would I wear? [goes to kitchen, and grab tablecloth, without disturbing items, but returns and knocks off the stuff from the table; poses in the mirror as Max barks] It's not a dress, it's a kilt! [rips off tablecloth] Sicko! [walks away, rummaging through clothes] Stupid! Ugly! Out of date! This is ridiculous! If I can't find something nice to wear, I'm not going! [hears a yodeler and mugs him for his lederhosen] Ohh. Ahh. Mmm. That's it, I'm not going.
- [Back in Whoville…]
- Augustus May Who: Well, it's time for our Holiday Cheermeister of the Year Award! [chuckles; everyone cheers] Congratulations, Mr. Grinch! [turns out the Grinch is not in the Whobilation] He isn't here. What, he didn't show? Who could've predicted this?
- Grinch: [after standing grumpily with his arms crossed] All right. I'll swing by for a minute, allow them to envy me, grab a handful of popcorn shrimp and blow outta there. [heads for the door, then stops abruptly and returns nervously] But what if it's a cruel prank? What if it's a cash bar? How dare they? [scowls, then calms down] All right, I'll go. But I'll be fashionably late. No, yes, no, yes, no. Yes! [groans in frustration; sharp inhale] Definitely not. [heading for the door with his hand behind his back] All right! I've made my decision; I'm going, and that's that! [shows his crossed fingers on his hand] Ah, had my fingers crossed. [Max pulls the rope, sending the Grinch falling through the garbage chute towards Whoville] Maybe I should flip a coin! [screams as the picture spins rapidly from him and stops to Cindy-Lou Who]
- Augustus May Who: Well, I-I guess the award goes to the, the runner up.
- Whobriss: That's right. A man for whom Christmas comes, not once a year, but every minute of every day. A handsome, noble man. A man who's had his tonsils removed twice.
- Augustus May Who: [chuckles] That's an interesting story. You see, what happened was–
- Grinch: [to Whos] Boo. [the crowd screams in horror] Hmm. Hot crowd, hot crowd. I believe I'm here to... [licks chops] ...accept an award of some kind. And... the child... mentioned a check?
- Cindy: No, I didn't.
- Grinch: Alright, then. Give me the award. COME ON. WHILE I'M YOUNG!
- Augustus: Don't you worry, Mr. Holiday Cheermeister, you'll get your award. But first, a little family reunion. They nursed you, they clothed you. Here they are, your old biddies!
- Grinch: Are you two still living?
- Clock Operator: Only 4 hours till Christmas!
- Narrator: Yes, the Grinch knew.
Tomorrow all the Who girls and boys would wake bright and early and rush for their toys.
- Grinch: And then, all the noise!
All the noise, noise, noise, NOISE!!
They'll bang on tong-tinglers.
They'll blow their ﬂoo-ﬂounders.
They'll crash on jang-jinglers and bounce on boing-bounders!
- Narrator: Then Whos young and old would sit down to a feast.
And they'll feast, and they'll feast.
- Grinch: And they'll feast, feast, feast, feast!
They'll eat their Who pudding, and rare Who roast BEAST... which is something I just cannot stand in the least.
Oh, no. I'm speaking in rhyme! Aah! [drops to his knees] BLAST YOU, WHOS! [sobs]
- Narrator: And the more the Grinch thought of what Christmas would bring, the more the Grinch thought...
- Grinch: I must stop this whole thing.
Why, for year after year, I've put up with it now!
I must stop this Christmas from coming, but how? [gasps] I mean, "In what way?". [gags, disgusted; as he goes inside his cave, he sees Max dancing right behind the doghouse; to Max, snickering] Are you having a holly... jolly... Christmas? [record needle scratches] WRONG-O! [throws Max and his doghouse out. He peers over the edge at the dog-shaped hole in the snow as Max whimpers] Hmph! [jumps to the hole, and picks up Max, who is covered in snow] If you're not going to help me, then you might as well– [sees snow covering Max's face, looking like Santa Claus' white beard]
- Narrator: Then he got an idea; an awful idea. The Grinch got a wonderful... awful idea.
- Grinch: I know... just what to do. [smiles sneakily and points his pointer finger up with a "Ding!" sound effect; the scene cuts to the Grinch cutting a coat-shaped hole in the red fabric, and sewing the fabric]
- Narrator: The Grinch laughed in his throat...
- Grinch: Ha!
- Narrator: ...and he made a quick Santy Claus hat and a coat.
- [loud crunch]
- Grinch: [alarmed] Oh-ho-ho! [sees his fingers sewn to the red fabric later]
- Narrator: And he chuckled and clucked... [the Grinch faints in shock and pain] ...at this great Grinchy trick.
- Grinch: [admires himself in the mirror, dressed in the finished outfit] With this coat and this hat, I'll look just like Saint Nick! Ho, ho, ho! [singing] ♪ You're a mean one… Mr. Grinch! ♪
♪ You really are a heel. ♪
- Jim Carrey: ♪ You're as cuddly as a cactus, and as charming as an eel, Mr. Grinch! ♪
You're a bad banana with a... ♪ greasy black peel! ♪ [scene cuts to the Grinch riding ziplines] ♪ Just face the music, you're a monster, Mr. Grinch. ♪
Yes, you are!
- Grinch: [singing] ♪ Your heart's an empty hoooooooole! ♪
- Jim: ♪ Your brain is full of spiders and you got garlic in your soul, Mr. Grinch. ♪
♪ I wouldn't touch you with a… 39 1/2 foot pooooooooole! ♪
- [Max brings the Grinch a "5/8" spanner]
- Grinch: I asked for 3/4, not 5/8. Stay focused! [The Grinch brings the 5/8 spanner back to Max.]
- Carrey: You know if you asked every Who's Who of Whoville…
♪ No one would deny it. ♪ [holds note as Max presses the button, making the Grinch launch faster, until it hits the "HIT HERE" sign, making Jim Carrey cough]
- Grinch: Ow. [lifts his head up after a dummy crash test] Airbag's a little slow. [Airbags come out] But that's what these tests are for! [Max barks, and the Grinch lets his head drop back down] ♪ You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch. You have termites in your smile. ♪
- Carrey: ♪ You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile, Mr. Grinch. ♪
- Grunch: ♪ Given the choice between you, I'd take the... seasick crocodile! ♪ [holds note while spinning around but yells and holds his mouth as he grunts.]
- Santa Claus: [heartly] Ho-ho-ho!
- Grinch: Fat-boy should be finishing up anytime now. Talk about a recluse. He only comes out once a year, and he never catches any flak for it! Probably lives up there to avoid the taxes.
- Santa: [flying with his reindeer, lead by Rudolph] Merry Christmas!
- Grinch: Oopsie. Forgot about the reindeer. (All I need is a reindeer.)
- Narrator: (The Grinch looked around, but since reindeer are scarce, there was none to be found.) Did that stop the old Grinch?
No. The Grinch simply said...
- Grinch: If I can't find a reindeer, I'll make one instead. [reaches for Max, who whimpers and runs away] Oh, Maaaaaa-AAAAAAX!!
- Narrator: So he called his dog Max.
Then he took some red thread… and tied a big horn... on top of his head.
- [The Grinch dresses Max with reindeer antlers and a red nose as Rudolph. He claps his hands, makes a gleeful noise and puts on a director's cap, mimicking Ron Howard, the director.]
- Grinch: [to Max as Rudolph] Alright, you're a reindeer. Here's your motivation - your name is Rudolph, you're a freak with the red nose and nobody likes you. Then one day, Santa picks you and you save Christmas. [Max stares at him blankly] No, forget that part. We'll improvise, just keep kind of loosy-goosy. You hate Christmas, you're gonna steal it! Saving Christmas was a lousy ending. Way too commercial. [sits down on director's chair and holds up megaphone; amplified] ACTION! [Max pops off the red nose; jumps out of seat, ecstatic] BRILLIANT!! You reject your own nose because it represents the glitter of Commercialism! Why didn't I think of it?! Cut, print, check the gate, moving on.
- Grinch: [arrives on the roof with Max] Come on, Max. It's our first stop.
- Narrator: ...The old Grinchy Claus hissed, and he climbed to the roof, empty bags in his fist. [the Grinch prepares to go down the chimney with rope on his feet]
He'd slide down the chimney, a rather tight pinch.
But if Santa could do it, then so could the Grinch.
- Grinch: [imitating sports announcer] He's planning a double-twisting interrupted by forward-flying 2 1/2 with a combo tuck and pike. High degree of difficulty. [jumps high in the air as bungee jumping while vocalizing] Whoo! [leans closer to the chimney] ♪ LAA-LAAA-LAAAAAAA!! ♪ [lands in the chimney upside down, and gets stuck since he gained a couple of pounds from the Whobilation]
- Narrator: He got stuck only once... for a moment or two.
- Grinch: Blasted water weight. Goes right to my hips. [struggles his arms to free himself as he slides down and lands and hits his head by the fireplace] Ow! Gee! [looks at the view of the living room]
- Narrator: Then he stuck his head out of the fireplace flue...
- Grinch: [to the narrator; breaking the 4th wall again] Shh! A little more stealth, please.
- Narrator: [quietly] ...Where the little Who stockings are all hung in a row.
- Grinch: These stockings...
- Narrator: [normal voice] He grinned.
- Grinch: ...Are the first thing to go. [picks out a jar of moths] Okay, fellas. Chow time. [frees the moths, sticks his head back up just as the moths eat the stockings. Then, the Grinch lowers a hose, and sucks everything into his bag, as he laughs evilly]
- Narrator: Then he slunk to the icebox. [The Grinch hugs the fridge into place.]
- Grinch: Slunk? [opens up the fridge] Eee.
- Narrator: He eyed the Whos' feast.
He took the Who-Pudding. [The Grinch throws a plate of Who pudding away.]
He took... the Roast Beast.
- Grinch: [imitating football quarterback] HIKE! [tosses the Roast Beast in a football hike position]
- Narrator: [as the Grinch messes everything up the fridge] He cleaned out that icebox as quick as a flash.
Why, that Grinch, he even took their last can of Who-Hash. [The Grinch opens up the cupboard to reveal a last can of Who-Hash inside in it just as Cindy opens her bedroom door.]
Then he stuffed all the food up the chimney with glee.
- Grinch: And now...
- Narrator: Grinned The Grinch.
- Grinch: [snatches the tree] ...I'll stuff up the tree.
- Narrator: And the Grinch grabbed the tree, and he started to shove!
When he heard a small sound like the coo of a dove.
- Cindy: Excuse me.
- Grinch: Eee! [stops and hides behind the tree]
- Narrator: The Grinch had been caught by this tiny Who daughter
who'd got out of bed for a cup of cold water.
- Cindy: Santa Claus, what are you doing with our tree?
- Narrator: But you know, that old Grinch was so smart and so slick...
...He thought up a lie, and he thought it up quick.
- Grinch: [imitating Santa] Why-hy-hyy, my sweet little tot...
- Narrator: The fake Santa Claus lied.
- Grinch: ...There's a light on this tree that won't... light on one side, so I'm taking it home to my w-wo-orkshop, my dear. [laughs and Cindy giggles]
I'll fix it up there… and I'll bring it... back here.
- Cindy: Santa, what's Christmas really about?
- Grinch: [pops out through the tree, startling Cindy] Vengeance! Er, I mean... presents... I suppose.
- Cindy: Hmm. I was afraid of that.
- Narrator: And his fib fooled the child.
Then he patted her head, and he got her a drink and he sent her to bed.
- Cindy: Santa?
- Grinch: [sharply] What?!
- Cindy: Don't forget the Grinch. I know he's mean and hairy and smelly. His hands might be cold and clammy… but I think he's actually kinda... sweet.
- Grinch: "Sweet"?! You think he's sweet?
- Cindy: (Mm-hm.) Merry Christmas, Santa.
- [Grinch flinches, covers his ears and groans, but Cindy Lou goes back to bed.]
- Narrator: And when Cindy Lou went up with her cup...
- Grinch: Nice kid. Bad judge of character.
- Narrator: ...He went to the chimney and stuffed the tree up. [the Grinch stuffs the tree up the Chimney, grabs the Christmas lights and goes up the chimney] (Then he went up the chimney himself, the old liar.)
And the last thing he took was the log for their fire.
On their walls, he left nothing but some hooks and some wire.
And the one speck of food that he'd left in the house was a crumb, that was even too small for a mouse.
Then he slithered and slunk with a smile most unpleasant, around each Who home, and he took every present.
- Grinch: [uses a saw to cut a hole with a Christmas tree on top of it, and it falls down as the he emerges from the hole] Clearance sale. Everything must go. [sucks up Christmas stuff even a cat on a chair, and takes it out.] What... now? [a cat attacks his face]
- [The scene cuts to the Grinch snatching the ring in a box away from Martha, then forms an oval on the window with hands pressed by the glass while sucking on it. He opens the bedroom door to the Mayor of Whoville, and chortles in amusement, but quickly covers his mouth as Augustus talks in his sleep]
- Augustus: Martha, have you ever kissed a man who lost his tonsils twice?
- Grinch: [imitating Martha May Whovier] No, silly. [picks up Max] But it's an experience that I've always longed for. Kiss me, you fool! [This makes Max's grow big eyes, making the Mayor holding up bright teeth as the Grinch puts a hook on the bottom of the bed.]
- Grinch: [noticing the sleigh had ran out of gas because the bag is full; Max barks] Hmm. What are you laughing at... Rudolph? [later on Mt. Crumpit] It's all you, Maxie!
- Narrator: 3,000 feet up.
Up the side of Mt. Crumpit.
He rode with his load to the tip-top to dump it.
- Grinch: Okay, whoa! WHOOOAA!! [gets off the sleigh] We... DID IIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!! [chanting] We did it, we did it! That wasn't so bad, was it, Max? [Max now whimpers once again] They'll be waking up now. [spots at the bottom of the edge view of Whoville] And I know just what they'll do.
All those Whos down in Whoville, will all cry... [The Whos were now singing "Boo Hoo" sober about stolen Christmas]
- Officer Houlihan: What an embarrassment! I've been robbed! [heads inside the police car, making the Mayor's bed come loose]
- Mayor May Who: Whoa! Whoa! [the bed stops]
- Office Houlihan [gasps] Mayor May Who? Oh, dearest me!
- Mayor May Who: Well... I wonder who could have done this. [Ones of the Whos help the Mayor put a robe on. He puts the robe on] tell you people one thing: Invite the Grinch, destroy Christmas. [angrily throws a tantrum and starts pounding the bed in frustration] INVITE THE GRINCH, DESTROY CHRISTMAS!!! But did anyone listen to me?
- Whobris: I did.
- Mayor May Who: [ignoring Whobris] No. You chose to listen... [laughs sarcastically] ...to a little not-to-be-taken-seriously [seriously] ...GIRL, who hasn't even grown into her nose yet. [looks at Cindy] Cindy, I hope you're very proud of what you've done.
- Lou: [stands up for Cindy] If she isn't, I am. [the crowd gasps] I'm glad he took our presents.
- Mayor May Who: What?
- Lou: I... Well, I'm-I'm glad.
- Mayor May Who: He's glad. You're glad. You're glad everything is-is gone. You're glad that the Grinch virtually wrecked-- No, no, no. Not "wrecked". --pulverized Christmas. Is that what I'm hearing from you, Lou?
- Lou: You can't hurt Christmas, Mr. Mayor. Because it isn't about the-the gifts, or the contests, or the...fancy lights. See, that's what Cindy's been tryna tell everyone! And me. She's been tryna tell me.
- Mayor May Who: What is wrong with you? [gestures to Cindy] This is a child!
- Lou: She's my child. And she happens to be right, by the way. [boops the Mayor's nose] Well, I don't need anything more for Christmas than this right here: my family. Merry Christmas, everybody! [the crowd cheers]
- Betty: Merry Christmas, you...hunk of burnin' Who! [kisses Lou, Drew and Stu walk away in embarrassment]
- Mayor May Who: Oh, gimme a break. [walks away]
- Grinch: Now, for the final note in my symphony of downright nasty not-niceness, the crescendo of my odious opus! [starts pushing the sled] Oh, the wailing and the gnashing of teeth. The bellowing of the bitterly bummed out! It'll be like music to my ears! [strains harder, and stops to hear faint singing] (Hmm...?)
- Narrator: Then the Grinch heard a sound rising over the snow.
It started in low.
Then it started to grow.
- Grinch: Huh? Whuh?
- Narrator: But the sound wasn't sad.
Why, this sounded merry...but it was merry. Very.
Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small was singing without any presents at all.
He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming.
- Grinch: Somehow or other, it came just the same!
- Cindy: [looking up at the Grinch's sled] Mr. Grinch!
- Narrator: And the Grinch, with his Grinch feet ice-cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling.
- Grinch: How could it be so?
It came without ribbons.
It came without tags.
It came without packages, boxes or bags!
- Narrator: And he puzzled and puzzled, 'till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch... thought of something... he hadn't before.
- Grinch: Maybe... Christmas...
- Narrator: He thought.
- Grinch: ...Doesn't...come from a store.
Maybe Christmas...perhaps... [warmly] ...Means a little bit more. [gets a sudden thump in his chest] Max, help me! I'm... feeling! [wheezes, and sees his small heart growing]
- Narrator: And what happened then?
Well, in Whoville they say
That the Grinch's small heart... grew 3 sizes... that day.
- Grinch: [puts his hand by his body, sits up, begins crying, and bawls] What's happening to me? [stops crying, and notices the sun rising] I'm all... toasty inside. [feels a tear] And I'm leaking. Oh, Max. I love ya! Yea-ha-ha-ha-ha! [Max runs to the Grinch, licking him as he laughs] Alright, that's enough! BEAT IT! [Max gets off the Grinch] Get outta here. One step at a time. [sees the sleigh falling over] Oh no. The sleigh, the presents. They'll be destroyed. And I care! What is the deal?! Wait!
- Grinch: [to Augustus May Who] No hard feelings. [Augustus gives the Grinch his hand to shake, but the Grinch pulls the Mayor's hand, and roars with laughter] Cheer up, dude. It's Christmas.
- [last lines]
- Narrator: So, he brought back the toys, and the food for the feast.
And he, he himself, the Grinch carved the Roast Beast.
- Grinch: Yeah. [everyone cheers] There's nothing like the Holidays. Who wants the gizzard?!
- Who: I do.
- Grinch: Too late! That'll be mine.
- Jim Carrey as The Grinch
- Taylor Momsen as Cindy Lou Who
- Jeffrey Tambor as Mayor Augustus May Who
- Ben Bookbinder (8 years old)
- Christine Baranski as Martha May Whovier
- Landry Allbright (8 years old)
- Bill Irwin as Lou Lou Who
- Molly Shannon as Betty Lou Who
- Frank Welker (voice) and Kelley as Max
- Clint Howard as Whobris
- Reid Kirchenbauer (8 years old)
- Mindy Sterling as Clarnella Who
- Rachel Winfree as Rose Who
- Jeremy Howard as Drew Lou
- T. J. Thyne as Stu Lou Who
- Jim Meskimen as Officer Wholihan
- Lacey Kohl as Christina Whoterberry
- Nadja Pionilla as Junie
- Mary Stein as Miss Rue Who
- Bryce Dallas Howard as a surprised Who
- Jane Krakowski as a Female Who (Screaming)
- Anthony Hopkins as the Narrator
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966 cartoon TV movie)
- The Cat in the Hat (film)
- Horton Hears a Who!
- The Lorax
- The Grinch (2018 computer-animated movie)