Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (also simply known as Madagascar 2, and previously known as Madagascar: The Crate Escape) is a 2008 American-African sequel to the 2005 film Madagascar about the continuing adventures of Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo, Marty the Zebra and Melman the Giraffe. Directed by Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath and written by Etan Cohen. It was distributed by Paramount Pictures, released on November 7, 2008. and released to theaters by DreamWorks Animation.
Alex the Lion
- My name is Alex. Ix. Like New York Knicks?
- How?! Me, Alex! Me and... me friends fly, fly in great metal bird, then... plummet! [imitates a falling bomb] Smash ground, go boom! Then here we emerge. We offer only happiness and good greetings.
- Apparently, lions don't dance.
- If you're in Manhattan, feel free to look us up!
- [to Marty] I broke your iPod!
- [to Marty when the plane's crashing] I'd just like to say, Marty - you are truly a 1 in 1,000,000 friend!
- Had enough? Sure, fly away! Coward.
- This is
- my Foofie!
Moto Moto the Hippo
- Name's so nice, you say it twice [holds up 3 fingers - in reference to his name]
- [to Gloria] Goodness girl, you're huge!
- I promise the answer will always be yes, unless a no is required.
- invented communist Africa
- loves Ewan
Marty the Zebra
- That is definitely not Crackalackin!
- I'm gonna kill you, butt biter!
- Right in the batteries!
- Etch A Sketch!
Gloria the Hippo
- Who's your friend, or is that your butt?
- Hey, I can live with that.
- Manhattan is short on two things, parking and hippos.
- New York City, here we come, baby!
- You're not gonna believe it but, ha! I got a date with Moto Moto.
Melman the Giraffe
- I've had a brainwave! Instead of going back, we could relax here for a few months!
- I love you, Gloria! I always have!
- Listen, "Mototo". You gotta treat her like a queen, 'Cause you, my friend have found the perfect woman.
- Don't worry, you can flirt around with Mr. Hot Pants after I'm gone.
- This time I'm 40 percent sure.
- Ya. [Gloria screams flat Melman falls on his] All; Whoa.
- First of all, that hurts. Second of all, I've only got 18 hours to live, anyway.
- You and me for the next 18 hours.
- (hang from the light-fixture) You, inflight slave... Bring me my nuts on a silver plata
- If I, King Julien (that's my name), only had two days left to live, I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing.
- "(After being blown out of plane and deploying a parachute)" I can fly!
- [last lines] Hey, shake the hot things! Shake 'em!
Nana (the old lady)
- Bring it on!
- Bad kitty.
- We're New Yorkers. When we need food, we hunt for a decent hot dog stand! Am I right? When we need water, we build a dam! When we need shelter, we build skyscrapers!
- Brownies Troop 416, Yonkers.
- (Sees Makunga with her handbag and gasps) My handbag! You bad kitty!
- You hoodlums!
- Kowalski, analysis.
- [first line] Well done, boys. Looks like ice-cold sushi for breakfast.
- Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is we're landing immediately. Bad news is we're crash-landing. (Plane begins to fall) When it comes to air-travel, we know you have no choice whatsoever. But thanks again for choosing Air Penguin!
- I'm trying! Can't you see these commies have my hands tied!
- Maternity leave?! You're all males!
- (to the doll, during the plane dive) My goodness, Doll, you're shaking like a leaf. (turning) Rico! You had your fun. Pull up!
- (to Rico as they try to land) Gently now. You just wanna kiss the ground. Just a little peck, a smooch like you're kissing your sister. (plane slams against the ground and the wooden landing gear breaks off) I said kiss it!
- [repeated line] Check.
- We lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
- [After Skipper asks if the paper will fly] Yes. If we fold it here, here and here. [Turns the paper into a plane and send it flying]
- In case of a loss of cabin pressure, place the mask over your face [puts on mask & begins speaking indistinctly] to hide your terrified expression away from the other passengers.
- If the event of a water emergency, place the life vest over your head and kiss your-- [pulls on tab, causing life vest to explode] goodbye.
- May I kiss the bride, Skipper?
- Alakay has failed the test!
- I'm afraid there is only one solution to this horrible crisis - we'll all have to fight for it.
- Before I kick your butt, let me ask you - why do you want to become the alpha lion?
- But a king does not get beat.
- Murray: You'll find a cure. Hey! You've got at least 48 hours!
- Harry: [jumping up] And dark stripes!
- Florrie: Zuba, you better give him his Foofie!
- Alex: I like to move it, move it!
- Gloria: He likes to move it, move it!
- Marty: She likes to move it, move it!
- Melman: We like to...
- Lemurs: Move it! [begin celebrating]
- [looking out over the African plain]
- Melman: Whoa.
- Gloria: Am I trippin'?
- Marty: Look at all the zebras, like me! Wait a minute, where are we?
- Melman: San Diego. This time I'm 40% sure.
- Alex: I know this place.
- Marty: I think it's Africa.
- Melman: Africa?
- Marty: It's gotta be. Our ancestral grid! It's in our blood, I can feel it!
- Alex: No, no. It's more than that. It's like, deja vu, like I've... like I've been here before.
- Marty: It's like Roots!
- Alex: [dazed] No, no. It's like, deja vu, like I've... like I've been here before.
- Moto Moto: [raspy voice] Goodness, girl, you're huge.
- Gloria: Who's your friend or is that your butt?
- Julien: What ever happened to the separation of the classes?
- Maurice: Don't worry, I'm sure this democracy thing is just a fad.
- Gloria: Is this place great or what?!
- Alex: I'd go with "Or what?".
- Alex: Dad! Look out!
- Zuba: What the...
- Marty: Alex! Get in.
- Alex: She’s got a gun! Let’s get out while we can.
- Marty: What.
- Alex: She's got a gun! Let's get out while we can! Pass it on.
- [chimpanzees chatter the message all the way up the chain]
- Mason: He said, "Let's have some fun and take out the dam. Basset hound."
- Alex: Tell them, "No! Pull up! They'll kill us! There's got to be another way!" Pass it on.
- [The chimpanzees chatter the message all the way up the chain]
- Mason: They said, "Don't pull up, kill us! There's no other way. Basset Hound." (I'm 25% sure they said that.)
- Marty: Are you sure?
- [Private is giving a safety demonstration to the passengers]
- Private: [shows life vest] In the event of a water emergency, place the vest over your head, and kiss your… [pulls on the red tab, causing the vest to inflate and explode] ...Goodbye. [The penguins in the cockpit make several announcements while Mort tries to get in but gets blown away] In case of a loss in cabin pressure, place the mask over your face... [places oxygen mask over his face, muffling his voice] ...To hide your terrified expression from the other passengers.
- Marty: [showing his detached seatbelt] Excuse me, miss, but aren't these supposed to be attached to my seat?
- Private: [removes the mask] No, sir.
- [Makunga encounters Zuba in a flashback]
- Makunga: Look at it this way. After I defeat you and take your place as alpha lion, you'll have that much more time to spend with your pathetic excuse of a son.
- Zuba: Before I kick your butt, tell me ask you - why do you even wanna be the alpha lion?
- Makunga: I'm better looking, I have better hair, I'm deceitfully smart… and I want everyone to do what I say. We'll fight on 3. 1… 2,3!
- [The red bulb on the plane's fuel gauge is flashing]
- Kowalski: Skipper, look.
- Skipper: Analysis.
- Kowalski: It looks like a small incandescent bulb, designed to indicate something out of the ordinary, like a malfunction.
- Skipper: I find it pretty and somewhat hypnotic.
- Kowalski: That too, sir.
- Skipper: Right. Rico, manual! [catches the manual and promptly smashes the bulb with it] Problemo solved.
- Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
- Skipper: What makes you think that?
- Kowalski: We've lost engine 1. [out the left window, engine #1 sputters out] And engine 2 is no longer on fire. [out the right window, engine #2 stops smoking and sputters]
- Skipper: Buckle up, boys. [covers "Doll's" eyes] Don't look, doll, this might get hairy. [on the intercom] Attention. This is your captain speaking. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that we will be landing immediately. The bad news is... we're crash landing.
- [All start screaming]
- [The union monkeys have gone on strike. Mason and Phil are with Skipper at the negotiating table]
- Mason: The plane won't be fixed until the suits meet our demands. Now, about maternity leave.
- Skipper: "Maternity leave"? [glances under the table] You're all male...
- Marty: Look, we need that plane for a rescue mission.
- Skipper: Well, there's nothing I can do until we bust up this union.
- Gloria: I'm gonna get to bustin up all you if you don't get this plane going!
- Skipper: Can't you see these commies have my hands tied, here? No maternity leave! [Mason nudges Phil, who pulls out incriminating photos of Skipper and "Doll" in compromising positions]
- Mason: Maybe a certain someone wouldn't want these blowing around the savanna?
- Skipper: [reluctantly] Alright, you get your maternity leave.
- Murray: You'll find a cure. Hey! You've got at least 48 hours!
- Still together, still lost.
- You got to move it move it. You got to move it.
- [from trailer] This fall, your favorite castaways are going home.
- [from trailer] They thought they were going home. They thought wrong.
- [from trailer] On November 7, for these castaways, it's a jungle out there.
- [from trailer] From DreamWorks, to survive in Africa, they'll have to get in touch with their wild side.
- Tom McGrath as Skipper the Penguin and Lemur
- Chris Miller as Kowalski the Penguin
- Christopher Knights as Private the Penguin
- John DiMaggio as Rico the Penguin
- Conrad Vernon as Mason the Chimpanzee
- Elisa Gabrielli as Nana the Old Lady
- Bernie Mac as Zuba
- Sherri Shepherd as Florrie
- Alec Baldwin as Makunga
- Tiny Lister as Teetsi, Poacher #1 and Elephant
- Stacy Ferguson as Hippo Girlfriend
- Harland Williams as Additional Giraffe
- Kathryn Feller as Ostrich #1
- Eric Darnell as Joe the Witch Doctor / Poacher #2
- David P. Smith as Bobby the dik-dik
- David Soren as Lemur
- Phil LaMarr as Guide
- Danny Jacobs as Tourist with New York T-Shirt
- Bridget Hoffman as Female Tourist
- Conner Rayburn as Little Giraffe
- Lynnanne Zager as Lioness
- Edie Mirman as Telephone Recording
- Jackie Gonneau as Additional Dik Dik
- Terrence Hardy Jr. as Cub
- Meredith Vieira, Lesley Stahl, Al Roker as Reporters
- Dan O'Connor as Cape Buffalo and Tourist with University Shirt
- Beth Hilton. "Baldwin and will.i.am join Madagascar". Digital Spy. Retrieved on 2008-06-05.