|edit the header|
|Wikiquote discussion pages see also: requests|
General policy discussions and proposals, requests for permissions and major announcements.
Questions and discussions about specific quotes.
Welcome, newcomers and baffled oldtimers! If you have a question about Wikiquote and how it works, please click the link above "create a new topic", and then you can place your submission at the bottom of the list, and someone will attempt to answer it for you. (If you have a question about who said what, go to the reference desk instead.)
Before asking a question, check if it's answered by the Wikiquote:FAQ or other pages linked from Wikiquote:Help. Latest news on the project would be available at Wikiquote:Community portal and Wikiquote:Announcements.
Before answering a newcomer's question abruptly, consider rereading Please do not bite the newcomers.
Questions and answers will not remain on this page indefinitely (otherwise it would very soon become too long to be editable). After a period of time with no further activity, information will be moved to other relevant sections of Wikiquote, (such as the FAQ pages) or placed in one of the village pump archives if it is of general interest, or deleted. Please consider dating and titling your discussions so as to facilitate this.
- 1 RevisionSlider
- 2 Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)
- 3 Quick Question About Quote of the Day
- 4 Two pages to merge
- 5 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections
- 6 Search results from Wikiquote now part of English Wikipedia's search system
- 7 Two pages to merge
- 8 Quoting MST3K episodes on the pages for the films covered.
- 9 Blog "quotes"
- 10 Electronic games should be listed on the left navbar under wikiquote links
- 11 Films about revenge is way too broad a category.
- 12 Quote Investigator
- 13 Columns for references
- 14 Accessible editing buttons
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:39, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
21:08, 16 May 2017 (UTC)
Quick Question About Quote of the Day
So can I take a part of a quote and put it as a suggestion? 2602:306:34AB:2830:D164:4C99:4E83:358A 21:03, 22 May 2017 (UTC)
- @2602:306:34AB:2830:D164:4C99:4E83:358A: You cannot self-publish quotes (except for maybe at a userpage) so unless you were part of a historic quotation, then no. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 21:05, 22 May 2017 (UTC)
Two pages to merge
- Good point - I've merged the two together onto the William Edmondstoune Aytoun page, as this title matches that on Wikipedia, and made the other a redirect. Thanks. ~ UDScott (talk) 12:14, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
21:05, 23 May 2017 (UTC)
Search results from Wikiquote now part of English Wikipedia's search system
Just to let you know, as announced via mailing list service, English Wikipedia is now receiving search results of this project, Wikiquote, intended to direct Wikipedia users to this project. Currently, an option to suppress the search results of this project from the English Wikipedia search system is proposed at Village pump's "proposal" subpage, where I invite you to comment. --George Ho (talk) 19:06, 22 June 2017 (UTC)
Two pages to merge
Hi, there Alvin and the Chipmunks (TV Series) and Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983 TV series) which deal about the same series and I think should be merged :-) --Superchilum (talk) 10:17, 23 June 2017 (UTC)
- @Superchilum: Thanks--that one was easy to do. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 08:03, 3 July 2017 (UTC)
- @Koavf: thank you :) what about the other one? --Superchilum (talk) 07:47, 7 July 2017 (UTC)
Quoting MST3K episodes on the pages for the films covered.
Would it be a good idea to include MST3K episode quotes in the about sections for the films they cover? I don't know how many of the films even have their own pages. CensoredScribe (talk) 21:15, 28 June 2017 (UTC)
- I would rather visit Latin America or the Middle East than Europe. The people – especially Arabs and Kurds – are more pleasant to be around.
When I googled that "quote" to see if it is widely quoted (or notable in any way), Google gave me only... 2 results. 1) That blog, and 2) Wikiquote. I should add for the record that Illegitimate Barrister has already flooded many other pages with blog "quotes" (that no one ever quotes), and most of the time they are so gratuitously insulting. Just look at the country theme pages he edited, and then featured on Wikiquote's Main Page. It's really disgraceful.
See, everyone here reads blogs. But only Illegitimate Barrister seems to think it appropriate to post whatever sentences he reads and likes in non-notable blogs (usually nothing more than insults) to Wikiquote, as if that were Wikiquote's purpose. As Illegitimate Barrister shows no signs of stopping, I'm bringing this to the community's attention again. ~ DanielTom (talk) 10:39, 29 June 2017 (UTC)
- This is unacceptable, having been warned before I think a suspension is necessary. IOHANNVSVERVS (talk) 13:46, 1 July 2017 (UTC)
There are hundreds of video game pages, so it should be easier to find them; also the medium isn't listed under list of literary works, like radio and theater. CensoredScribe (talk) 20:43, 12 July 2017 (UTC)
Films about revenge is way too broad a category.
I have some concerns over the applicability of this category, imagine films about love as distinct from romance films; most movies have a villain and a love interest in them; I think these themes are too broad. Revenge is also very loosely applied as a justification for mass murder in several films, I'm also concerned whether all of the Friday the Thirteenth and Nightmare on Elm Street movies should be listed. I don't think that despite the title Revenge of the Sith would actually count as Anakin doesn't actually kill anyone who has wronged him he just thinks they have to justify the climax of the film; similarly the long standing historical wrongs are only perceived by characters and not actually seen on screen for films about racism such as American History X or Do The Right Thing, or nationalism for movies about war. CensoredScribe (talk) 18:37, 13 July 2017 (UTC)
- I asked them; it is alright to use Quoteinvestigator as a source, as long as you give gredit where credit is due. --Spannerjam (talk) 10:49, 17 July 2017 (UTC)
Columns for references
19:26, 17 July 2017 (UTC)