Japan, also known as Nippon, is an island country in eastern Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean, it lies to the east of the Sea of Japan, China, North Korea, South Korea and Russia, stretching from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north to the East China Sea and Taiwan in the south.
- Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as means of settling international disputes.
- Article 9 of the Constitution of Japan (3 May 1947)
- I was against it on two counts. First, the Japanese were ready to surrender, and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing. Second, I hated to see our country be the first to use such a weapon.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, On his stated opposition to the use of the atomic bomb against the Japanese at the end of World War II, as quoted in Newsweek (11 November 1963)
- Business travellers visiting Japan are usually easily forgiven for whatever they do, including dressing down for Cool Biz. When in doubt, they can always say sumimasen (or “excuse me”) at the beginning of the meeting, should they find themselves underdressed for the occasion.
- Stanley Tan, Director of Sales and Marketing at Tokyo’s Shangri-La Hotel, quoted on BBC Travel, "Dressing Down In Tokyo", July 20, 2011.
- A year ago this time, the third quarter figure for 2012... we were talking about negative growth of more than 3%.
- Tomohiko Taniguchi, Japan's councillor of the cabinet secretariat, quoted on BBC News, "Japan's economic growth slows down", November 14, 2013.
- The government is putting as much money into the economy through this package, and through additional spending, as the increased sales tax will put out," Martin Schulz of Fujitsu Research Institute in Tokyo told the BBC. That means growth in the coming quarters will be stable and the hike will have no lasting impact on growth in 2014.
- Martin Schulz, of Fujitsu Research Institute in Tokyo, quoted on BBC News, "Japan's economic growth revised down", December 8, 2013.
- This has happened before and in some cases the islands disappeared. If it becomes a full-fledged island, we would be happy to have more territory.
- Yoshihide Suga, Japan's chief government spokesman, quoted on Fox News, "New island off Japan keeps growing and growing", December 19, 2013.
- Every Japanese soldier was prepared for death, but as an intelligence officer I was ordered to conduct guerrilla warfare and not to die. I became an officer and I received an order. If I could not carry it out, I would feel shame. I am very competitive.
- Hiroo Onoda, quoted on BBC News, "Japan WW2 soldier who refused to surrender Hiroo Onoda dies", January 17, 2014.