This page is a collection of quotations from the era of the third official incarnation of The Doctor from the BBC science fiction television programme Doctor Who, during which the role of the Third Doctor was played by Jon Pertwee. As Doctor Who stories in other media (such as books, audio plays, etc) are the subject of intense debate as regarding their place in the series' overall canon, these quotations are taken entirely from episodes broadcast on television.
Recurring Phrases 
- The Doctor: Oh, good grief.
Season 7 
Spearhead from Space [7.1] 
- (3 January - 24 January 1970)
- Liz Shaw: You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!?
- Forbes: Gave us no warning, sir.
- Munro: How could he with his mouth taped?
- Doctor Henderson: Doctor Lomax, I took that blood sample from an adult male patient. Now you tell me that it's not human blood! I don't know if that makes me a doctor or a vet. But it's still my job to look after him.
- Doctor Henderson: How are you feeling?
- The Doctor: Shoes.
- The Doctor: [Upon beholding his changed appearance in a looking-glass] Oh. Oh, no! That's not me at all!
- The Doctor: All right, all right, I suppose you want to see my pass? Yes, well, I haven't got one. And I'm not going to tell you my name, either. Now you just tell Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart that I want to see him. Well, don't just stand there arguing with me, man! Get on with it!
- Channing: No one can destroy the Nestenes!
- The Doctor: My goodness, no. Don't you realise that when I was stranded on this little planet of yours, I had nothing but these clothes that I Oh, my goodness!
- Liz: What is it, Doctor?
- The Doctor: Well, I've just realised. I don't even own these. I borrowed them from the hospital. And there's that car, too. Yes, you know, I took to that car. It had character.
- Brigadier: No, Doctor. That car must be returned to its owner.
- Doctor: Must it? Yes, yes, I suppose it must. Still, there's no reason why you couldn't find me something similar, is there? I mean, it could persuade me to stay, you know.
- Brigadier: Oh, very well.
- Doctor: Good. When can we go and choose it?
- Brigadier: Not yet. I must arrange for a full set of papers first. By the way, I've just realised. I don't even know your name.
- Doctor: Smith. Doctor John Smith.
Doctor Who and the Silurians [7.2] 
- (31 January - 14 March 1970)
- The Doctor: My dear Miss Shaw, I never report myself anywhere, particularly not forthwith.
- (9 May - 20 June 1970)
- The Doctor : Well, I'll tell you something that should be of vital interest to you.
- Professor Stahlman: And what's that?
- The Doctor : That you, Sir, are a NITWIT!
- The Doctor: So, free will is not an illusion after all.
- The Doctor: But I don't exist in your world!
- Brigade Leader: Then you won't feel the bullets when we shoot you.
Season 8 
Terror of the Autons [8.1] 
- (2 January - 23 January 1971)
- The Doctor: You know Jo, I sometimes think that military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Nonsense, what you need, Doctor, as Miss Shaw herself so often remarked, is someone to pass you your test tubes, and to tell you how brilliant you are.
- The Doctor: Help, Brigadier! HELP!
- The Doctor: The Nestenes can put life into anything made of plastic. Anything at all.
- The Doctor: They're Autons! Bullets can't stop them!
The Claws of Axos [8.3] 
- (13 March - 3 April 1971)
- The Doctor: Pure mathematics can not lie!
- The Doctor: Obviously the Time Lords have programmed the TARDIS always to return to Earth. It seems that I am some kind of a galactic yo-yo!
- [On how to survive a nuclear blast.]
- The Master: You could take the usual precautions...sticky tape on the windows, that sort of thing.
The Dæmons [8.5] 
- (22 May - 19 June 1971)
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Jenkins...chap with wings there, five rounds, rapid!
- The Master: I only need two things. Your submission and your obedience to MY WILL!
- The Doctor: Jo, did you fail Latin as well as science?
Season 9 
Day of the Daleks [9.1] 
- (1 January - 22 January 1972)
- Future Doctor: Yes, of course, I remember now. [to Jo] Look, don't worry, my dear. I know you're alarmed, but you needn't be.
- The Doctor: Yes, well, I think that should do it. Why on Earth I never realised that- Oh no, what are you doing here?
- Future Doctor: Well, I'm not here, don't worry. Well....That is, in the sense, I am here, but, er....you are not there. It's a bit difficult to explain, really...
- The Doctor: This won't do at all. We can't have two of us running about.
- Future Doctor: Yes, well, don't worry! The door will serve us. [disappears in a flash of light]
- Interrogator: You're a spy!
- The Doctor: Am I? Who am I spying for?
- Interrogator: I'm asking the questions. I repeat, you're a spy!
- The Doctor: That wasn't a question. That was a statement.
- Interrogator: Careful, our friends here don't get much fun. [Gestures to the thuggish Ogron security guards.]
- The Doctor: Poor fellows. Sorry I can't oblige them at the moment, I'm not in the mood for games.
The Sea Devils [9.3] 
- (26 February - 1 April 1972)
- [While watching The Clangers]
- The Master: I've discovered a rather interesting form of alien life.
- [The only time in the Third Doctor's era that he spoke his "catchphrase"]
- The Doctor: I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.
Season 10 
The Three Doctors [10.1] 
- (30 December 1972 - 20 January 1973)
- Brigadier: Is there anything I can do?
- Third Doctor: Yes, pass me a silicon rod. [Stirs cup of tea with it]
- Brigadier: I meant is there anything UNIT can do about this space lightning business?
- Tyler: I can manage now, thank you.
- Brigadier: I'm delighted to hear it. Make yourself at home. We're only supposed to be a top secret security establishment(!) Liberty Hall, Dr. Tyler. Liberty Hall!
- Third Doctor: Jo, it's all quite simple - I am he and he is me!
- Jo Grant: And we are all together, coo coo cachoo?
- Both Doctors: What?
- Jo Grant: It's a song by The Beatles.
- Second Doctor: Really? How does it go? [Brings recorder to his lips]
- Third Doctor: Oh, shut up!
- First Doctor: [As he appears on the TARDIS's television screen] Ah, there you are! I seem to be stuck up here. [He examines the Second and Third Doctors.] So you're my replacements. [They smile at him.] Humph. A dandy and a clown. [They appear insulted.] Have you done anything?
- Second Doctor: Uh, well we've assessed the situation-
- First Doctor: Just as I thought! [Chuckles] Nothing.
- Second Doctor: At the moment, they're far from being all powerful. That's why it's been left up to me and me and me!
- Second Doctor: Keep it confused, feed it with useless information. I wonder if I have a television set here somewhere.
- Brigadier:I've explained all that. You're his assistant.
- Second Doctor:But I've just set this up! I've got to confuse it!
- Brigadier: (after seeing the First Doctor on the screen) Who was that?
- Second Doctor: I'm afraid you wouldn't believe me if I told you!
- Omega: [After the Third Doctor tells him that he always looked upon him as Gallifrey's greatest hero] A hero?!? I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A GOD!!!
- Brigadier:Three of them, eh? I didn't know when I was well off.
- (The Second Doctor shows Omega the force field generator, his recorder in the middle of the generator)
- Omega: What is this childish contraption?!
- Second Doctor: The only freedom you can ever have. Take it.
- [Omega does nothing]
- Second Doctor: Take it, Omega!
- [Both Doctors close their eyes to try and focus their will against Omega's; Omega just laughs]
- Third Doctor: TAKE IT!
- Omega: COMMANDS! YOU COMMAND ME?! THIS IS MY WORLD! I COMMAND! AND YOU PESTER ME WITH TRINKETS?!?
- [Omega knocks the force field generator out of the Doctor's hands]
- Second Doctor: RUN!!!
- [The recorder hits the ground; Omega's universe is soon gone in a flash of light]
Frontier in Space [10.3] 
- (24 February - 31 March 1973)
- The Doctor: Allow me to congratulate you, sir. You have the most totally closed mind that I've ever encountered.
- The Master: Nobody could be more devoted to the cause of peace than I! As a commissioner of Earth's Interplanetary Police, I have devoted my life to the cause of law and order; And law and order can only exist in a time of peace.
- The Doctor: Are you feeling all right, old chap?
Planet of the Daleks [10.4] 
- (7 April - 12 May 1973)
- The Doctor: Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway.
- The Doctor: Wait! Somebody's still in there.
- Dalek: Save for interrogation! Disable!
- [The Dalek fires at the Doctor. The Doctor yells in pain, and collapses on the ground]
- Dalek: Proceed as ordered!
- Taron: Doctor, we'd never have succeeded without all your help. I wish there was some way of thanking you.
- The Doctor: As a matter of fact, there is.
- Rebec: Yes, Doctor?
- The Doctor: Throughout history, you Thals have always been known as one of the most peace-loving races in the galaxy.
- Taron: I hope we always will be.
- The Doctor: Yes, that's what I mean. When you get back to Skaro, you'll all be national heroes. Everybody'll want to hear about your adventures.
- Taron: Of course.
- The Doctor: So be careful how you tell that story, will you? Don't glamourise it. Don't make war sound like an exciting and thrilling game.
- Taron: [smiles] I understand.
- The Doctor: Tell them about the members of your mission that will not be returning. Like Maro, Vaber and Marat. Tell them about the fear. Otherwise your people might relish the idea of war. We don't want that.
- Dalek Supreme: We have been delayed, not defeated. The Daleks are never defeated!
- The Doctor: [referring to the monitor's display] Jo, look. That's Skaro.
- Jo: Yes....
- The Doctor: Any regrets?
- Jo: Not really...
- The Doctor: Jo... That's only one little world. There's so many hundreds of others to see.
- Jo: There's only one little world I want to see right now. [presses a few buttons on the TARDIS console] That one.
- The Doctor: That one? But Jo, that's Earth.
- Jo: That's right, Doctor. Home.
- The Doctor: Home it is, Miss Grant.
The Green Death [10.5] 
- (19 May 1973 - 23 June 1973)
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: I never thought I'd have to fire in anger at a dratted caterpillar.
- Stevens: In the end, we all want the same thing: an ordered society, with everyone happy and well fed...
- The Doctor: ...Global Chemicals taking all the profits.
- Stevens: What's best for Global Chemicals is best for the world, is best for you.
- The Doctor: Such as a little touch of brainwashing?
- Stevens: Freedom from fear, freedom from pain...
- The Doctor: ...freedom from freedom.
Season 11 
The Time Warrior [11.1] 
- (15 December 1973 - 5 January 1974)
- The Doctor: A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.
- Linx: Ah, I understand. You have a primary and a secondary reproductive cycle. [beat] It is an inefficient system, you should change it.
- Sarah Jane: You're serious, aren't you?
- The Doctor: About what I do? Yes, not necessarily the way I do it.
- Irongron: By heavens, Bloodaxe, 'tis like a tin tadpole - you cut off its head, and yet it wriggles!
Invasion of the Dinosaurs [11.2] 
- (12 January - 16 February 1974)
- General Finch: Waiting for this mysterious scientific advisor of yours to turn up?
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: That's right, sir.
- General Finch: [Sarcastically] I suppose he'll just materialize out of thin air.
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Very probably.
- Soldier: It's coming this way, sir!
- The Doctor: Good grief.... It's a Stegosaurus!
Death to the Daleks [11.3] 
- (23 February - 16 March 1974)
- [The Doctor and Sarah Jane hear a strange, mechanical roaring sound]
- Sarah Jane: That sounded awfully close.
- The Doctor: Some sort of subterranean wind effect, I should think.
- [They hear the roaring sound again]
- Sarah Jane: Who are you kidding?
- The Doctor: Myself, chiefly.
- Sarah Jane: [pointing] Doctor! Look! Look at the city!
- [They watch as the abandoned city melts down to nothing.]
- The Doctor: It's rather a pity, in a way...now the universe is down to 699 wonders.
The Monster of Peladon [11.4] 
- (23 March - 27 April 1974)
- The Doctor: The citadel of Peladon, Sarah. One of the most interesting and-
- Sarah Jane: Oh no it isn't - is it, Doctor?
- The Doctor: Well, no, not exactly.
- Sarah Jane: No, it's not your precious citadel at all. It's another rotten gloomy old tunnel!
- The Doctor: Yes, well, with the scanner still on the blink, there was no way I could really check.
- Sarah Jane: There's more than the scanner on the blink.
- Thalira: It would be different if I was a man. But I'm only a girl.
- Sarah Jane: Now just a minute! There's nothing "only" about being a girl, your Majesty.
Planet of the Spiders [11.5] 
- (4 May - 8 June 1974)
- [Sarah realizes that Tommy's formerly low intelligence has been improved]
- Sarah Jane: Tommy, you're normal! You're just like everybody else!
- Tommy: Oh, I sincerely hope not.
- [The Third Doctor's last words.]
- The Doctor: I had to face my fear ... that was more important than just going on living ...
- (Sarah Jane: Please...don't die!)
- The Doctor: A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life, there's...
- [The Doctor is about to regenerate.]
- Sarah Jane: Look, Brigadier, look! I think it's starting!
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Well, here we go again.
Other Appearances 
The Five Doctors [20.7] 
- (23 November 1983) The following quotations occurred in a serial set after the Third Doctor's era had officially ended (in the era of the Fifth Doctor, to be exact) and thus are not technically part of this Doctor's era. As they are all quotes involving the Third Doctor, however, they are included here for the sake of completion.
- [Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart to the Third and Fifth Doctors in reference to the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Doctors.]
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Splendid fellows - all of you!
- Third Doctor: I've reversed the polarity of the Neutron flow, so the TARDIS should be free from the force field now.