Rose Marion Tyler is a fictional character portrayed by Billie Piper in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. She was the primary traveling companion of the ninth incarnation of the Doctor until, in The Parting of the Ways, she absorbed the energies of the time vortex, and called herself "the Bad Wolf", defeating the Daleks and their plans to conquer the universe, resurrecting Jack Harkness who had died fighting them, and prompting the Doctor to absorb the fatal energies from her with a kiss, resulting in his need to regenerate into his tenth incarnation.
- Doesn't that look like a Slitheen?
- Love and Monsters [2.10] (17 June 2006)
- Planet Earth. This is where I was born. And this is where I died. The first nineteen years of my life, nothing happened. Nothing at all, not ever. And then I met a man called the Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end. … Well, that's what I thought. But then came the Army of Ghosts. Then came Torchwood and the war. That's when it all ended. This is the story of how I died.
- Army of Ghosts [2.12] (1 July 2006)
- Rose: You pulled his arm off.
- The Doctor: Yep. Plastic.
- Rose: Very clever. Nice trick! Who were they then, students? Is this a student thing or what?
- The Doctor: Why would they be students?
- Rose: I don't know.
- The Doctor: Well, you said it. Why students?
- Rose: 'Cos to get that many people dressed up and being silly, they got to be students.
- The Doctor: That makes sense. Well done.
- Rose: Thanks.
- The Doctor: They're not students.
- Rose: Whoever they are, when Wilson finds them, he's going to call the police.
- The Doctor: Who's Wilson?
- Rose: Chief electrician.
- The Doctor: Wilson's dead.
- Rose: So what you’re saying is, the whole world revolves around you?
- The Doctor: Sort of, yeah.
- Rose: You’re full of it.
- The Doctor: Sort of, yeah.
- Rose: If you are an alien, how come you sound like you're from the north?
- The Doctor: Lots of planets have a north!
The End of the World [1.2]
- The Doctor: Right then, Rose Tyler, you tell me. Where do you want to go? Backwards or forwards in time. It's your choice. What's it going to be?
- Rose: Forwards.
- The Doctor: How far?
- Rose: One hundred years.
- The Doctor: [after a few seconds of travel] There you go. Step outside those doors, it's the twenty second century.
- Rose: You're kidding.
- The Doctor: That's a bit boring, though. Do you want to go further?
- Rose: Fine by me.
- The Doctor: Ten thousand years in the future. Step outside, it's the year 12005, the new Roman Empire.
- Rose: You think you're so impressive.
- The Doctor: I am so impressive.
- Rose: You wish.
- The The Doctor: [opening Rose's phone] Tell you what. With a bit of jiggery pokery—
- Rose: Is that a technical term, "jiggery pokery".
- The The Doctor': Yeah, I got a first in jiggery pokery, what about you?
- Rose: [playing along] Nah, I failed hullabaloo.
The Parting of the Ways [1.13]
- Rose: I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words; I scatter them in time and space —[the words "BAD WOLF" detach from the Corporation's sign on the opposite wall and fly off] — a message to lead myself here.
- The Doctor: Rose, you've got to stop this! You've got to stop this now! [pause] You've got the entire Vortex running through your head! You're gonna burn!
- Rose: I want you safe. My Doctor, protected from the false god.
- Rose: I can see everything. All that is. All that was. All that ever could be.
- The Doctor: [gets up suddenly] That's what I see, all the time. And doesn't it drive you mad?
- Rose: My head —
- The Doctor: Come here.
- Rose: — is killing me.
- The Doctor: I think you need a doctor.
- [The Doctor kisses Rose, absorbing the Time Vortex. She passes out and he sets her gently on the ground before returning the Vortex to the TARDIS.]
- The Doctor: Rose Tyler. I was gonna take you to so many places. Barcelona! Not the city Barcelona, the planet Barcelona. You'd love it, fantastic place! They've got dogs with no noses! [Laughs] Imagine how many times a day you end up telling that joke and it's still funny!
- Rose: Then.... why can't we go?
- The Doctor: Maybe you will, and maybe I will. But not like this.
- Rose: You're not making sense!
- The Doctor: I might never make sense again! I might have two heads, or no head. Imagine me with no head! And don't say that's an improvement. But it's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're gonna end up with.
- [The Doctor is suddenly wracked by intense pain.]
- Rose: Doctor!!
- The Doctor: Stay away!!
- Rose: Doctor, tell me what's going on —
- The Doctor: I absorbed all the energy of the time vortex, and no one's meant to do that — every cell in my body's dying.
- Rose: Isn't there something you can do?
- The Doctor: Yeah, I'm doing it now. See, Time Lords have this little trick, it's sort of a way of cheating death. Except.... it means I'm gonna change. And you're not gonna see me again. Not like this. Not with this daft old face. And before I go —
- Rose: Don't say that!
- The Doctor: Rose, before I go, I just wanna tell you: you were fantastic, absolutely fantastic. And you know what? — So was I!
School Reunion [2.3]
- Rose: I thought you and me were — Well, I obviously got it wrong. I've been to the year 5 billion, right, but this... Now, this is really seeing the future. You just leave us behind. Is that what you're gonna do to me?
- The Doctor: No. Not to you.
- Rose: But Sarah Jane. You were that close to her once, and now you never even mention her. Why not?
- The Doctor: I don't age. I regenerate. But humans decay; you wither and you die. Imagine watching that happen to someone that you — [The Doctor breaks off]
- Rose: What, Doctor?
- The Doctor: You can spend the rest of your life with me, but I can't spend the rest of mine with you. I have to live on. Alone. That's the curse of the Time Lords.
Quotes about Rose Tyler
- I've seen fake gods and bad gods and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon, if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her.