Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (released in the United States as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) is a 2001 film about a young boy with a great destiny, rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, who proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
- Directed by Chris Columbus. Screenplay by Steve Kloves, based on the book of the same name by J. K. Rowling.
- [reading his welcoming letter] "Dear Mr. Potter, We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."
- Bloody hell!
- Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow... turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!
- Wingardium Leviosar.
- Oculus Reparo.
- [deleted scene] He's rather disagreeable, isn't he?
- You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there.
- It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.
- Only a person who wanted to find the Stone - find it, but not use it – would be able to get it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me, that is saying something.
- It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.
- [entering class room] There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention. Mr. Potter. Our new celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?...And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?...Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?
- There is no good and evil. There is only power... and those too weak to seek it.
- Dumbledore: [to the cat] I should have known that you would be here... Professor McGonagall.
- [The cat turns into McGonagall.]
- McGonagall: Good evening, Professor Dumbledore. Are the rumors true, Albus?
- Dumbledore: I'm afraid so, Professor. The good and the bad.
- McGonagall: And the boy?
- Dumbledore: Hagrid is bringing him.
- McGonagall: Do you think it wise to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?
- Dumbledore: Ah, Professor. I would trust Hagrid with my life.
- [Hagrid appears on a flying motorcycle]
- Hagrid: Professor Dumbledore, sir. Professor McGonagall.
- Dumbledore: No problems, I trust, Hagrid?
- Hagrid: No, sir. Little tyke fell asleep just as we were flying over Bristol. [hands Dumbledore a bundle – Harry] Try not to wake him. There you go.
- [Dumbledore takes Harry and heads for the Dursleys]
- McGonagall: Albus, do you really think it's safe, leaving him with these people? I've watched them all day, they're the worst sort of... Muggles imaginable. They really are–
- Dumbledore: The only family he has.
- McGonagall: This boy will be famous. There won't be a child in our world that doesn't know his name.
- Dumbledore: Exactly. He's far better off growing up away from all of that... until he is ready. [Dumbledore places Harry on the doorstep. Hagrid snivels.] There, there, Hagrid. It's not really goodbye, after all. [Hagrid nods. Dumbledore places a letter on Harry.] Good luck... Harry Potter.
- Dudley: [about his gifts] How many are there?
- Uncle Vernon: 36, counted them myself.
- Dudley: 36?! But last year, last year I had 37!
- Uncle Vernon: I mean– Yes, yes. Well, some are a quite a bit bigger than last year's –
- Dudley: I don't care how big they are!
- Uncle Vernon: [grabs Harry by the hair] What happened? [growls at Harry]
- Harry: I swear, I don't know! One minute, the glass was there and then it was gone! It was like magic!
- Uncle Vernon: [puts Harry in the stairway, in a fierce tone] There's no such thing as magic! [slams the door]
- Uncle Vernon: Fine day Sunday. In my opinion, best day of the week. Why is that, Dudley?
- Harry: [when Dudley doesn't answer] Because there’s no post on Sundays?
- Uncle Vernon: Right you are, Harry! [takes cookie from Harry] Right you are. No post on Sundays. Hah!
- Harry: Excuse me. Who are you?
- Hagrid: Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts. Of course, you know all about Hogwarts.
- Harry: Sorry, no.
- Hagrid: No? Blimey, Harry, did you ever wonder where your Mum and Dad learned it all?
- Harry: Learnt what?
- Hagrid: You're a wizard, Harry.
- Harry: I– I'm a what?
- Hagrid: A wizard! And a thumpin' good 'un, I'll wager, once you've been trained up a bit.
- Harry: I think you've made a mistake. I mean, I... can't be a... a wizard. I mean, I'm... just... Harry. Just Harry.
- Hagrid: Well, "Just Harry"... did you ever make anything happen? Anything you couldn't explain when you were angry or scared?
- Harry: [to the Dursleys; angrily after Vernon refuses Harry's entrance to Hogwarts because they swore when they took him in to "put a stop to all this rubbish"] You knew? You knew all along and you never told me?
- Aunt Petunia: [bitterly] Of course we knew. How could you not be? My perfect sister being what she was. My mother and father were so proud the day she got her letter. "We have a witch in the family. Isn't it wonderful?" I was the only one who saw her for what she was: a freak! And then she met that Potter, and she had you, and I knew you'd be the same. Just as strange, just as... abnormal. And then, if you please, she went and got herself blown up and we got landed with you.
- Harry: Blown up? You told me my parents died in a car crash.
- Hagrid: A car crash? A car crash killed Lily and James Potter?
- Aunt Petunia: [sheepishly] We had to say something...
- Hagrid: It's an outrage! It's a scandal!
- Uncle Vernon: He'll not be going!
- Hagrid: [somewhat amused] Oh, and I suppose a great Muggle like yourself's gonna stop him, are ya?
- Harry: "Muggle"?
- Hagrid: Non-magic folk. [to the Dursleys, angrily] This boy's had his name down ever since he was born! He's going to the finest school of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the world, and he'll be under the finest headmaster that Hogwarts has ever seen: Albus Dumbledore. [In the meantime, Hagrid is unaware of Dudley stealing the cake he made for Harry]
- Uncle Vernon: I will not pay to have some crackpot old fool teach him magic tricks!
- [Visibly angered, Hagrid whips out his umbrella and points it threateningly at Uncle Vernon.]
- Hagrid: Never, Insult Albus Dumbledore, In front of me.
- [Hagrid sees Dudley eating Harry's cake and points his umbrella at him. A Pig's tail appears. The Dursleys scream and run out of the room]
- Ollivander: Curious.... Very curious...
- Harry: Sorry...but what's curious?
- Ollivander: I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr Potter. Every single wand. And it just so happens that the phoenix, whose tail feather resides in your wand, gave another feather. Just one other. It is curious that you should be destined for this wand, when its brother gave you that scar.
- Harry: ....And who owned that wand?
- Ollivander: We do not speak his name. The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. It's not always clear why. But. I think it is clear that we can expect great things from you. After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things. Terrible, yes... but great.
- Harry: He killed my parents, didn't he? The one who gave me this. [points to his scar. Hagrid looks hesitant to respond] You know, Hagrid, I know you do.
- Hagrid: [sighs and leans towards him] First – and understand this, Harry, 'cause it's very important – not all wizards are good. Some of them go bad. And a few years ago, there was one wizard who went as bad as you can go. And his name was V– [becomes tense] His name was V–
- Harry: Maybe if you wrote it down?
- Hagrid: Nah, I can't spell it. All right... [in a whisper] Voldemort.
- Harry: Voldemort?
- Hagrid: [frantically] Shh! It was dark times, Harry, dark times. [As Hagrid narrates, we see a flashback of a robed, hooded figure - Voldemort - breaking into Harry's parents' home and striking his mother dead; it ends just as Voldemort aims his wand at baby Harry] Voldemort started to gather some followers; brought 'em over to the dark side. Anyone that stood up to him ended up dead. Your parents fought against him, but nobody lived once he decided to kill 'em. Nobody. Not one. Except you.
- Harry: Me? Voldemort tried to kill... me?
- Hagrid: Yes. That ain't no ordinary cut on yer forehead. A mark like that only comes from bein' touched by a curse, and an evil curse at that.
- Harry: And what happened to Vol– To You-Know-Who?
- Hagrid: Well, some say he died. Codswallop in my opinion. Nope, I reckon he's still out there somewhere, too tired to carry on. But one thing's fer certain: Somethin' about you stumped him that night. That's why you're famous. That's why everyone knows your name. You're the Boy Who Lived.
- Hermione: Has anyone seen a toad? A boy named Neville has lost one.
- Ron: No.
- Hermione: [sees Ron attempting magic] Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see then.
- Ron: Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow... turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!
- [Nothing happens]
- Hermione: Are you sure that's a real spell? Well, it's not very good is it? [Ron gives Harry an indignant and exasperated look] Of course, I've only tried a few simple ones myself, but they've all worked for me. For example, [sits in front of Harry] Oculus Reparo.
- [She waves her wand and Harry's glasses are immediately fixed.] That's better, isn't it? [realizes who he is] Holy cricket, you're Harry Potter! I'm Hermione Granger. [looks at Ron] And... you are?
- Ron: [muffled] Um, Ron Weasley.
- Hermione: Pleasure. You two best change into robes, I expect we'll be arriving soon. [leaves, but turns around to face Ron] You've got dirt on your nose, by the way. Did you know? Just there.
- [Ron, annoyed, rubs his nose and finds she is right]
- Draco Malfoy: So it's true, then. What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts. [All the first years murmur in excitement; Draco indicates two boys next to him] This is Crabbe, and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. [Ron sniggers; Draco turns to glare at him] Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down-robe? You must be a Weasley. [turns back to Harry] You'll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there. [offers his hand]
- Harry: [coldly] I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks.
- [Harry has just joined the Gryffindor Quidditch team.]
- Ron: Fred and George are on the team too. Beaters.
- Fred: Our job is to make sure that you don't get bloodied up too badly! Can't make any promises. Rough game, Quidditch.
- George: Brutal! But no one's died in years. Someone will vanish occasionally (Harry and Ron walk off) but they'll turn up in a month or two!
- [After their fiasco with a three-headed dog.]
- Ron: What do they think they're doing? Keeping a thing like that locked up in a school?
- Hermione: You don't use your eyes, do you? Didn't you see what it was standing on?
- Ron: I wasn't looking at its feet! I was a bit preoccupied with its heads. Or maybe you didn't notice. They were three!
- Hermione: It was standing on a trapdoor. Which means, it wasn't there by accident. It's guarding something.
- Harry: Guarding something?
- Hermione: That's right. Now, if you two don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed. Or worse, expelled. [Goes into her dormitory]
- Ron: She needs to sort out her priorities.
- Oliver: [Leading Harry to practice, carrying a trunk] Quidditch is easy enough to understand. Each team has seven players: Three Chasers, two Beaters, one Keeper, and a Seeker. That's you. [Opens trunk and takes a round ball with four indents in it out] There are three kinds of balls. [Tosses it to Harry] This one's called the Quaffle. The Chasers handle the Quaffle and try to put it through one of those three hoops. [Points to three hoops on opposite end of field.] The Keeper, that's me, defends the hoops. With me so far?
- Harry: I think so. [Tosses Quaffle back to Oliver] What are those? [Acknowledges two other balls]
- Oliver: Oh. [Takes out a bat, a little shorter that a baseball bat] You better take this. [Hands bat to Harry, then unlatches one of the balls from trunk. It shoots up into the air, then zooms back down] Careful now, it's comin' back. [Harry whacks the ball with the bat. The ball zooms off in another direction right though the gap of a statue that has crossed swords] Not bad, Potter. You'd make a fair Beater. [The ball comes back heading directly for Oliver] Uh-oh. [It whacks him in the chest, knocking him over. He fights with it to get it back in the trunk. He eventually succeeds, and locks it back in]
- Harry: What was that thing?
- Oliver: [Panting] Bludger. Nasty little buggers. But you... [Points to Harry]...are a Seeker. [Takes out walnut-sized gold ball with silver wings] The only thing I want you to worry about is this. The Golden Snitch. [Hands it to Harry]
- Harry: I like this ball.
- Oliver: Ah, you like it now. Just wait. It's wicked fast and damn near impossible to see.
- Harry: What do I do with it?
- Oliver: You catch it... before the other team's Seeker. You catch this, the game's over. You catch this, Potter, and we win.
- [Talking about Snape after the Quidditch match when he was accused of jinxing Harry's broom]
- Hagrid: Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?
- Harry: Who knows? Why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Hallowe'en?
- Hagrid: Who told you about Fluffy?
- Ron: Fluffy?
- Hermione: That thing has a name?
- Hagrid: Of course, he's got a name! He's mine. I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. The I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the–
- Harry: Yes?
- Hagrid: Shouldn't have said that. No more questions! Don't ask any more questions. That's top-secret, that is.
- Harry: But, Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it.
- Hagrid: Codswallop. Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher.
- Hermione: Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact and Snape wasn't blinking.
- Harry: Exactly.
- Hagrid: Ron, Hermione, you'll come with me.
- Ron: [In a timid, high voice] Okay.
- Hagrid: And Harry, you'll go with Malfoy.
- [Harry nods]
- Malfoy: Alright, then I get Fang.
- Hagrid: Fine. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward.
- [Malfoy and Harry look over at Fang, who whimpers]
- [Snape has approached Harry, Ron and Hermione]
- Snape: Now, what would three students such as yourselves be doing inside on a day like this?
- Hermione: We... [Snape looks to her, expecting an answer]...we were just...
- Snape: You ought to be more careful. People may think you're...[Snape notices Harry eyeing him cautiously. He glares sharply at Harry]...up to something.
- [Harry enters a dungeon and discovers Quirrell in front of the Mirror of Erised]
- Harry: You? No, it can't– it can't be. Snape, he was– he was the one who–
- Quirrell: Yes. He does seem the type, doesn't he? Next to him, who would suspect p-p-p-poor st-st-st-stuttering Professor Quirrell?
- Harry: But that day, during the Quidditch match, Snape tried to kill me.
- Quirrell: No, dear boy. I tried to kill you! And trust me, if Snape's cloak hadn't caught fire and broken my eye contact, I would have succeeded! Even with Snape muttering his little counter-curse.
- Harry: Snape was... trying to save me?
- Quirrell: I knew you were a danger to me right from the off, especially after Halloween.
- Harry: Th-th-then you let the troll in!
- Quirrell: Very good, Potter, yes. Snape, unfortunately, wasn't fooled. While everyone else was running about the dungeons, he went to the third floor to head me off. He, of course, never trusted me again. He barely left me alone. But he doesn't understand - I'm never alone. Never. Now, what does this mirror do? Yes, I see what I desire. I see myself holding the stone. But how do I get it?!
- Creepy Voice: Use the boy.
- Quirrell: COME HERE, POTTER!!! NOW!!! [Harry walks to Quirrell and the Mirror of Erised] Now... tell me. What do you see? [Harry sees his reflection take out the Philosopher's Stone, then places it into his pocket. He realizes that it actually is in his pocket.] What is it, what do you see?
- Harry: I– I'm shaking hands with Dumbledore. I've won the House Cup.
- Creepy Voice: He lies.
- Quirrell: TELL THE TRUTH!!! WHAT DO YOU SEE?!
- Creepy Voice: Let me speak to him.
- Quirrell: Master, you are not strong enough!
- Creepy Voice: I have strength enough for this...
- [Quirrell unwraps his turban, revealing a hideous face on the back of his head – Voldemort.]
- Voldemort: Harry Potter. We meet again.
- Harry: Voldemort?
- Voldemort: Yes. You see what I've become? See what I must do to survive? Live off another, a mere parasite. Unicorn blood can sustain me, but it cannot give me a body of my own. But there is something that can. Something that, conveniently enough, lies in your pocket. [Harry attempts to escape] STOP HIM! [Quirrell blocks Harry by snapping his fingers, causing a large fire to block off the entrance] Don't be a fool. Why suffer a horrific death, when you can join me and live?
- Harry: Never!
- Voldemort: [laughs] Bravery. Your parents had it too. Tell me, Harry... would you like to see your mother and father again? [Harry's parents appear in the Mirror of Erised] Together, we can bring them back. All I ask is for something in return. [Harry pulls the Stone out of his pocket.] That's it, Harry. There is no good and evil. There is only power... and those too weak to seek it. Together, we can do extraordinary things. Just give me the Stone.
- [Harry's parents disappear from the mirror]
- Harry: [screams] YOU LIAR!
- Voldemort: KILL HIM!
- [Quirrell flies into the air and begins choking Harry. Harry tries to reach for the stone, but grabs Quirrell's wrist, and suddenly makes it immediately begin to burn and turn into ash. Quirrell gasps, screams, and lets go of Harry in fear]
- Quirrell: [panicking] What is this magic?
- Voldemort: Fool! Get the Stone!
- [Quirrell reaches for the Stone with his other hand. Harry puts his hands on Quirrell's face, causing his face to burn and turn to ash too. Quirrell screams in agony, and turns to ash, until there is nothing left but his robes. Harry grabs the Stone. Behind him the ghost of Voldemort rushes at Harry, knocks him out and escapes while the camera pans towards the Stone.]
- [Last lines]
- Hermione: Feels strange to be going home, doesn't it?
- Harry: I'm not going home... not really.
- Harry: Hi Hedwig [Hedwig has just flown down to the table where Harry, Ron and Hermoine are studying]
- Hermione: Look at you playing with your cards. Pathetic! We've got final exams coming up soon.
- Ron: I'm ready! Ask me any question.
- Hermione: All right, what are the three most crucial ingredients in a Forgetfulness Potion?
- Ron: ...I forgot.
- Hermione: And what, may I ask, do you plan to do if this comes up in the final exam?
- Ron: Copy off you?
- Hermione: No, you won't! Besides, according to Professor McGonagall, we're to be given special quills bewitched with an anti-cheating spell.
- Ron: That's insulting! It's as if they don't trust us! [checks a card, irritated] Dumbledore again!
- Ron: [Neville comes hopping in, his legs apparently stuck together] Leg-Locker Curse?
- Harry: Malfoy. [Neville approaches them amidst laughter from the other students]
- Ron: You have got to start standing up to people, Neville.
- Neville Longbottom: [wobbling uncontrollably] How? I can barely stand at all!
- Seamus Finnigan: [jumping up, wand at the ready] I'll do the counter-curse!
- Neville Longbottom: No, that's all I need... you to set my bloody kneecaps on fire!
- Seamus Finnigan: [slamming his wand down angrily] I don't appreciate the insinuation, Longbottom. Besides, if anyone cares to notice, my eyebrows have completely grown back! [stalks off angrily, showing a large chunk of hair missing from the back of his head]
- Harry: I found him! [hands Ron a Chocolate Frog card of Dumbledore]
- Ron: 'Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark" Wizard Grindelwald in 1945–'
- Harry: Go on.
- Ron: '-for his discovery of the 12 uses of Dragon Blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner Nicolas Flamel!'
- Harry: I knew the name sounded familiar, I read it on the train that day.
- Hermione: [beaming excitedly] Follow me!
- [the Trio tears out of the Great Hall, leaving poor Neville still flailing around]
- Neville Longbottom: Hey, wait, where are you going? What about the counter-curse? [before he can say another word he topples over backwards, the other students start laughing]
- [Dudley is in his new school uniform having his picture taken. Harry enters the room as Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia proudly snap pictures of their son.].
- Harry: Will I have to wear that too?
- Petunia: You? Go to Smeltings? [Harry nods, questionably]
- Uncle Vernon: HA!
- [The family laughs.]
- Aunt Petunia: Don't be so stupid, you're going to go the state school where you belong. [Goes to the kitchen and fishes out a grey shirt in a boiler.] And this is what you're gonna be wearing when I've finished dyeing it.
- Harry: But that's Dudley's old uniform. It'll fit me like bits of old Elephant skin.
- Let The Magic Begin.
- Journey Beyond Your Imagination.
- Let The Feast, Begin.
- Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
- Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley
- Emma Watson as Hermione Granger
- Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore
- Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy
- Robbie Coltrane as Rubeus Hagrid
- Alan Rickman as Severus Snape
- Maggie Smith as Minerva McGonagall
- Ian Hart as Professor Quirrell / Lord Voldemort (Voice)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Official Harry Potter Site
|Harry Potter (book series, film series) by J. K. Rowling|
|Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows||book||films part 1 and part 2|
|Harry Potter and the Cursed Child||play|
|last words in Harry Potter media||books||films||games|
|Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them||book||film|