Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- "No, I thought not. You have not asked me for instance, what is my favorite jam, to check that I am not an impostor. For future reference, Harry, it is raspberry... although of course , if I were a Death Eater, I would have been sure to find out my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."
- "The Prophet is bound to report the truth occasionally," said Dumbledore, "if only accidentally."
- "Don’t you see? Voldemort himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one that rises against them and strikes back!"
- "Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth."
- "There is nothing to be feared from a body, Harry, any more than there is anything to be feared from the darkness... It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
- (after drinking an emerald potion) "KILL ME!"
- (as Harry tells him "Don't worry.") "I am not worried, Harry, I am with you."
- Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
- Oh, come on, Harry, it's not Quidditch that's popular, it's you! You've never been more interesting, and frankly, you've never been more fanciable.
- You've said to us once before that there was a time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?
- (Describing why Ron failed the Apparition test) It was really unlucky, a tiny thing, the examiner just spotted that he'd left half an eyebrow behind...
- (When Harry decides to go down to bury Aragog instead of getting the memory from Slughorn) This is Felix Felicis, I suppose? You haven't got another little bottle full of - I don't know -
(Ron) Essence of Insanity?
- The Aurors are part of the Rotfang Conspiracy, I thought everyone knew that. They're working from within to bring down the Ministry of Magic with a combination of dark magic and gum disease.
- (after Harry invites her to Slughorn's party) Ooh, yes, I'd love to! Is that why you dyed your eyebrows, for the party? Should I do mine, too?
- 'Oh, hello Harry,' said Luna. 'Did you know one of your eyebrows is bright yellow?'
- I thought at first it was Moaning Myrtle in there, but it turned out to be Hermione.
- I liked the DA too. It was like having friends.
- You're just as sane as I am.
- Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers.
- You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for 'the Chosen Captain' — 'The Boy Who Scored'— whatever they call you these days.
- I'll be moving on to bigger and better things.
- You don't know what I'm capable of, you don't know what I've done!
- I haven't got any options! I've got to do it! He'll kill me! He'll kill my whole family!
- He will only be gone from the school when none here are loyal to him. [about Albus Dumbledore]
- [Harry thinks] how they had talked about fighting a losing battle, and that it was important to fight, and to fight again, and to keep fighting, to keep evil at bay, though never quite eradicated.
- Excellent. Really excellent. Right...I'm going down to Hagrid's.
- Ghosts are transparent.
- [Harry] Yes. [Snape] Yes, sir. [Harry] There's no need to call me "sir", Professor.
- [To Narcissa Malfoy] Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?
[Professor] Slughorn, Horace
- Snape! Snape! I taught him! I thought I knew him!
- MERLIN'S BEARD!
- Harry, m-boy!
- Dumbledore put you up to this, didn't he? Didn't he?
- Harry, I must insist you accompany me back to the castle immediately!
- Don't use that name!
[Professor] Snape, Severus
- Avada Kedavra!
- It is finished.
- You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them — I, the Half-Blood Prince! And you'd turn them on me like your filthy father, would you? I don't think so...No!
- DON'T CALL ME COWARD!
- Your father only took me on when it was four to one. What would you call him?
- And—forgive me—you speak of dangers… you were facing six teenagers, were you not?
- You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? Yes. I'm the Half-Blood Prince.
- Oh, come and stir my cauldron,
And if you do it right
I'll boil you up some hot, strong love
To keep you warm tonight.
- Well, we find we appreciate you more and more, Mum, now we're washing our own socks.
- [To Ron] What about you and Lavender, thrashing about like a pair of eels all over the place?
- [To Harry] Looking for Ron? He's over there, the filthy hypocrite.
- [When Harry broke up with her] It's for some stupid, noble reason, isn't it?
- [A tattoo she said was on Harry's Chest] I told her it's a Hungarian Horntail. Much more macho.
- [Ron's tattoo] A Pygmy Puff, but I didn't say where.
- [When Harry defends Fleur] I suppose you like the ways Phlegm says "'Arry". do you?
- [On her boyfriend, Dean] ...last time I looked, he was definitely one boy, not five.
- Yeah, Zabini, because you're so talented...at posing...
- Professor Mcgonagall:Why is it when something bad happens, it's always you three?.. Ron: Believe me, professor, I've been asking myself the exact same thing for the past six years.*
- Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?
- Hope you hammer McLag — I mean — Smith.
- Believe me, being dead will have improved him a lot. (about Aragog)
- Thanks-er, why do I need socks?
- We're with you whatever happens.
- Er-my-nee (sleeping)
- I'm tall. (said Ron, inconsequentially.)
- Listen, no bloke in his right mind's gonna fancy Tonks when Fleur's around. I mean, Tonks is OK-looking when she isn't doing stupid things to her hair and her nose...
- [On Tonks] Every time I've seen her she's looked more like Moaning Myrtle.
- Sounds like the sort of mental thing Dumbledore would say.
- [On his OWL results] Only failed Divination and History of Magic, and who cares about them?
- Mum, do you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?
- I hope Luna always commentates from now on. Loser's Lurgy....
- [after being released from the Levicorpus spell in the morning] Next time, I'd rather you set the alarm clock.
- Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies.
- [Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes advertisement]
Why Are You Worrying about You-Know-Who?
You SHOULD Be Worrying About
The Constipation Sensation That's Gripping the Nation!
- But he understood at last what Dumbledore had been trying to tell him. It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew — and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents — that there was all the difference in the world.
- Harry looked around; there was Ginny running towards him; she had a hard, blazing look in her face as she threw her arms around him. And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her.
- And he knew, without knowing how he knew it, that the phoenix had gone, had left Hogwarts for good, just as Dumbledore had left the school, had left the world... had left Harry.
- Harry was left to ponder in silence the depths to which girls would sink to get revenge.
Harry Potter: There are bodies in here!
Albus Dumbledore: Yes, but we do not need to worry about them at the moment.
Harry Potter: At the moment?
Albus Dumbledore: Not while they are merely drifting peacefully below us. There is nothing to be feared from a body, Harry, any more than there is anything to fear from the darkness. Lord Voldemort, who of course secretly fears both, disagrees. But once again he reveals his own lack of wisdom. It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.
Severus Snape: Do you remember me telling you we were practicising non-verbal spells, Potter?
Harry Potter: Yes.
Snape: Yes, Sir.
Potter: There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor.
Phineas Nigellus: I can't see why the boy should be able to do it better than you, Dumbledore.
Albus Dumbledore: I wouldn't expect you to, Phineas.
Severus Snape: ...and of course, as Potter so wisely tells us, are transparent.
Ron Weasley: Well, what Harry said is the most useful if we're trying to tell them apart! When we come face to face with one down a dark alley we're going to be having a shufti to see if it's solid, aren't we, we're not going to be asking, "Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?"
Prime Minister: But for heaven's sake, you're wizards! You can do magic! Surely you can sort out... well... anything!
Cornelius Fudge: The trouble is, the other side can do magic too, Prime Minister.
Mrs. Weasley: Promise me you'll look after yourself ... stay out of trouble...
Harry Potter: I always do, Mrs. Weasley, I like a quiet life, you know me.
Harry Potter: What did you have to imitate her [Hermione] for?
Ron Weasley: She laughed at my moustache!
Harry Potter: So did I, it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
Mrs. Weasley: Arthur, is that you?
Mr. Weasley: Yes. But I would say that even if I were a Death Eater, dear. Ask the question!
Mrs. Weasley: Oh, honestly...
Mr. Weasley: Molly!
Mrs. Weasley: All right, all right... What is your dearest ambition?
Mr. Weasley: To find out how aeroplanes stay up.
[Mrs. Weasley goes to open the door]
Mr. Weasley: Molly! I've got to ask you your question first!
Mrs. Weasley: Arthur, really, this is just silly...
Mr. Weasley: What do you like me to call you when we're alone together?
[Mrs. Weasley's face turns bright red]
Mrs. Weasley: [whisper] Mollywobbles.
Mr. Weasley: Good.
Ginny Weasley: I wouldn't go in the kitchen just now. There's a lot of Phlegm around.
Harry Potter: I'll be careful not to slip in it.
Ron Weasley: Well, you can't break an Unbreakable Vow.
Harry Potter: I figured that much out for myself, funnily enough.
Ron Weasley: Only time I've ever seen Dad as angry as Mum. Fred reckons his left buttock has never been the same since.
Harry Potter: Yeah, well, passing over Fred's left buttock—
Fred Weasley: I beg your pardon?
[After seeing a memory of Dumbledore's first encounter with the 11-year old Voldemort]
Harry Potter: Did you know then, sir?
Albus Dumbledore: Did I know I'd just met the most dangerous Dark Wizard of all time?
Harry Potter: He accused me of being Dumbledore's man through and through.
Albus Dumbledore: How very rude of him.
Harry Potter: I told him I was.
Albus Dumbledore: I am very touched, Harry.
Ginny Weasley: Three Dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it's true you've got a hippogriff tattooed across your chest.
Harry Potter: What did you tell her?
Ginny Weasley: I told her it's a Hungarian Horntail. Much more macho.
Harry Potter: Thanks, and what did you tell her Ron's got?
Ginny Weasley: A Pygmy Puff, but I didn't say where.
Narrator: Harry looked around; there was Ginny running towards him; she had a hard, blazing look in her face as she threw her arms around him. And without thinking, without planning it, without worrying about the fact that fifty people were watching, Harry kissed her. Harry looked around and saw Ron.
Ron [Shrugging his shoulders]:"Well, if you must..."
Professor Trelawney: Everything went pitch-black and the next thing I knew I was being hurled headfirst out of the room!
Harry Potter: And you didn't see that coming?
Professor Trelawney: No, as I say it was pitch- [Glares at Harry angrily]
Harry Potter: We're nearly there...I can Apparate us both back...don't worry...
Albus Dumbledore: I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.
Rufus Scrimgeour: I see you are—
Harry Potter: Dumbledore's man through and through. That's right.
Harry Potter: Ginny, listen... I can't be involved with you anymore. We've got to stop seeing each other. We can't be together. Ginny Weasley: It's for some stupid, noble reason, isn't it?
Mrs. Weasley: [Talking about Bill after being bitten by Greyback] Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks...It's not r-really important... but he was a very handsome little b-boy... always very handsome... and he was g-going to be married! Fleur Delacour: And what do you mean by zat? What do you mean, 'e was going to be married? Mrs. Weasley: Well - only that- Fleur Delacour: You theenk Bill vill not wish to marry me anymore? You theenk, because of zees bites, he vill not love me? Mrs. Weasley: No, that's not what I - Fleur Delacour: Because 'e vill! It would take more zan a werewolf to stop Bill loving me!
Remus Lupin: I am not being ridiculous. Tonks deserves somebody young and whole.
Mr. Weasley: But she wants you. And after all, Remus, young and whole men do not necessarily remain so.
Nymphadora Tonks: (with a strained voice, to Lupin) You see? She'll marry him, even though he's been attacked! She doesn't care! Remus Lupin: Bill won't be a complete werewolf... don't compare... The cases are totally... Nymphadora Tonks: But I don't care either, I don't care! And I've told you a million times!
Hermione Granger: She's going to ban you from the library if you're not careful. Why did you have to bring that stupid book, anyway? Harry Potter: It's not my fault she's barking mad, Hermione. Or do you think she overheard you talking about Filch? I always knew there was something going on between them... Hermione Granger: Oh ha, ha.
Hermione Granger: This is Felix Felicis, I suppose? You haven't got another little bottle full of - I don't know - Ron Weasley: Essence of Insanity?
Harry Potter: Where are you going? Draco Malfoy: Yeah, I'm really going to tell you, because it's your business, Potter. You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for "The Chosen Captain" - "The Boy Who Scored" - whatever they call you these days.
Vernon Dursley: I don't mean to be rude...
Albus Dumbledore: ...yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often.
Harry Potter: But if I keep popping in and out of the Ministry, won't it look like I approve of what they're doing? Rufus Scrimgeour: It would give everyone a boost to think that- Harry Potter: No, sorry. I don't think that will work. I don't like some of the things the Ministry are doing. Locking up Stan Shunpike, for one. Rufus Scrimgeour: I would not expect you to understand. These are dangerous times. You are sixteen years old- Harry Potter: Dumbledore's a lot older than sixteen, and he doesn't think Stan should be locked up either. You're making Stan a scapegoat, just like you're trying to make me a mascot! Later. Rufus Scrimgeour: I see. You prefer - like your hero Dumbledore - to disassociate yourself from the Ministry. Harry Potter: I don't want to be used. Rufus Scrimgeour: Some would say it's your duty to be used by the Ministry! Harry Potter: Yeah, and others might say it's your duty to check people actually are Death Eaters before you chuck them in prison! You're doing what Barty Crouch did. You never get it right, you people, do you?! Either we've got Fudge, pretending everything's lovely while people get murdered under their noses, or we've got you, putting the wrong people in prison and pretending you've got the Chosen One working for you! Rufus Scrimgeour: So you're not the Chosen One? Harry Potter: I thought you said it didn't matter either way. Rufus Scrimgeour: I shouldn't have said that. It was careless. It was- Harry Potter: No, it was honest. One of the only honest things you've said to me. You don't care if I live or die, but you do care I convince everyone you're winning the war against Voldemort. I haven't forgotten, Minister... Narrator: Harry raised his right hand and showed the words, shining white, that Dolores Umbridge had forced him to carve into his own hand: I must not tell lies. Harry Potter: I don't remember you coming to my aid when I was trying to tell everyone Voldemort was back! The Ministry wasn't so keen to be pals last year!
Ron Weasley: So Snape was offering to help him? He was definitely offering to help him? Harry Potter: If you ask that once more, I'm going to stick this sprout --
Hepzibah Smith: How do I look? Hokey the house-elf: Lovely, madam Narrator: Harry could only assume that it was down in Hokey's contract that she must lie through her teeth when asked this question, because Hepzibah Smith looked a long way from lovely in his opinion.
Narcissa Malfoy: I see that being Dumbledore's favorite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you. Harry Potter: Wow...look at that...he's not here now! So why don't you have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince quotes analyzed; study guide, themes, characters, plot analysis, trivia, multimedia
|Harry Potter (book series, film series) by J. K. Rowling|
|Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince||book||film|
|Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows||book||films part 1 and part 2|
|last words in Harry Potter media||books||films||games|
|Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them||book||film|