Hearts in Atlantis (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- I wouldn't have missed a single minute of it, Bobby. Not for the whole world.
- It will be the kiss by which all others in your life will be judged... and found wanting.
- We're all just passing through, kiddo. Just passing through, that's all.
- You know, when you're young, you have moments of such happiness, you think you're living in someplace magical, like Atlantis must have been. Then we grow up, and our hearts break in two.
- Whenever it wants, the past can come kicking the door down. And you never know where it's going to take you. All you can do is hope it's a place you want to go.
- Why do we always expect home to stay the same? Nothing else does.
- It's funny how when you're a kid, a day can last forever. Now, all these years seem just like a blink.
- I never heard from Ted Brautigan again. Not that I didn't think of him. I always have. I always will. Because that summer was the last of my childhood. And though I never again saw what people were thinking, there was an enduring gift that he left me. What Ted did was open my eyes, and let the future in. I wouldn't have missed a minute of it. Not for all the world.
- [Referring to Ted] You're a strange person.
- Carol: You're a strange person.
- Ted: Shhh! Tell no one.
- Ted: We're all time's captives, hostages to eternity.
- Bobby: Ben Jonson?
- Ted: No, Boris Pasternak. He was a Russian of no account, I think.
- Bobby: Ted, "my father never bought a drunk a drink". What does that mean exactly?
- Ted: It means he was a good man, he was honest, and he never added to the troubles of the world. Okay? Good night.
- [Bobby and Carol are riding the Ferris wheel. It stops and swings for a second. This unnerves Carol]
- Bobby: Don't be afraid.
- Carol: When we swung out, I... I thought we were coming loose and falling to our doom.
- Bobby: We're as safe as can be. [Kisses her suddenly]
- Carol: [Slightly confused] What do you think you're doing?
- Bobby: Well, I thought you wanted me to.
- Carol: I just wasn't ready, that's all.
- Bobby: Okay. [Turns away]
- Carol: [Pauses] Bobby, do it again.
- Bobby: No, I better not. You'll tell.
- Carol: No, it'll be our secret. Hurry, before we go down. [Bobby nervously pauses, not knowing what to do] Bobby, I'm dying here. [Bobby kisses her again. She giggles and puts her head on his shoulder. He puts his arm around her] Thank you, Bobby. That was just the nicest thing.
- Bobby: "And it will be the kiss by which all others in our life will be judged."
- Carol: [Looks at him] What?
- Bobby: I don't know. Sounded better when Ted said it.