Jump to navigation Jump to search
Paul Sheldon used to write for a living. Now he's writing to stay alive.
- Eat it till ya choke, you sick, twisted fuck!
- I thought you were good Paul... but you're not good. You're just another lying ol' dirty birdy. And I don't think I better be around you for a while. And don't even think about anybody coming for you. Not the doctors, not your agent, not your family. 'Cause I never called them. Nobody knows you're here and you better hope nothing happens to me, because if I die... you die.
- I know that, Mr. Man! They also called them serials. I'm not stupid ya know... Anyway, my favourite was Rocketman, and once it was a no breaks chapter. The bad guy stuck him in a car on a mountain road and knocked him out and welded the door shut and tore out the brakes and started him to his death, and he woke up and tried to steer and tried to get out but the car went off a cliff before he could escape! And it crashed and burned and I was so upset and excited, and the next week, you better believe I was first in line. And they always start with the end of the last week. And there was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DIDN'T GET OUT OF THE COCK-A-DOODIE CAR!
- Annie: I know I'm only 40 pages into your book, but...
- Paul: But what?
- Annie: [shaking her head] Nothing.
- Paul: No, what is it?
- Annie: Well, it's ridiculous! Who am I to make a criticism to someone like you?
- Paul: It's alright, I can take it.
- Annie: Well, it's brilliantly written, but, then, everything you write is brilliant.
- Paul: Pretty rough something?
- Annie: The swearing, Paul. There, I said it.
- Paul: The, uh, profanity bothers you?
- Annie: It has no nobility.
- Paul: These are slum kids, I was a slum kid. Everybody talks like that.
- Annie: THEY DO NOT! What do you think I say when I go to the feedstore in town, "Oh, now Wally, give me a bag of that F-in' pig feed, and ten pounds of that bitchly cow corn"? And at the bank, do I tell Mrs. Bollinger, "Oh, here's one big bastard of a check, give me some of your Christ-ing money?" [spills soup on Paul's bed] THERE, LOOK THERE, SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO! I'm sorry.
- Annie Wilkes: You- You dirty bird, how could you?
- Paul Sheldon: What?
- Annie Wilkes: She can't be dead! Misery Chastain cannot be dead!
- Paul Sheldon: Annie, in 1871, women often died during childbirth. But her spirit is the important thing, and Misery's spirit is still alive.
- Annie Wilkes: [shaking Paul's bed violently] I DON'T WANT HER SPIRIT! I WANT HER! AND YOU MURDERED HER!
- Paul Sheldon: No... I didn't.
- Annie Wilkes: WHO DID?!
- Paul Sheldon: No one, she... she died. She just slipped away.
- Annie Wilkes: SLIPPED AWAY?! SLIPPED AWAY?! SHE DIDN'T JUST SLIP AWAY! YOU DID IT! [She grabs the wooden stand of a potted plant and pulls it away, causing the pot to fall and crash on the floor] YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU MURDERED MY MISERY! [hits the wall with the stand, breaking it into several pieces] I thought you were good, Paul, but you're not good, you're just a lying ol' dirty birdy. And I don't think I better be around you for a while. [walks back towards the hallway, before turning towards Paul again] And don't even think about anybody coming for you. Not the doctors. Not your agent. Not your family. Because I never called them. Nobody knows you're here. And you better hope nothing happens to me. Because if I die, you die.
- Annie: Here's your pills.
- Paul: Annie? Annie, what is it?
- Annie: The rain. Sometimes it gives me the blues. When you first came here, I only loved the writer part of Paul Sheldon. Now I know I love the rest of him, too. I know you don't love me, don't say you do. You're beautiful, brilliant, a famous man of the world and I'm... not a movie star type. You'll never know the fear of losing someone like you if you're someone like me.
- Paul: Why would you lose me?
- Annie Wilkes: Book's almost finished, your legs are getting better. Soon you'll be wanting to leave.
- Paul: Why would I leave? I like it here.
- Annie: That's very kind of you, but I'll bet it's not all together true. [pulls out a gun] I have this gun. [pulls the trigger] Sometimes I think about using it. [looks at Paul] I'd better go now. I might put bullets in it.
- James Caan as Paul Sheldon
- Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes
- Richard Farnsworth as Buster
- Frances Sternhagen as Virginia
- Lauren Bacall as Marcia Sindell
- Graham Jarvis as Libby
- Jerry Potter as Pete
- Rob Reiner as Helicopter pilot
- J.T. Walsh (uncredited) as State Trooper Sherman Douglas