Secret Window (2004) is a psychological thriller movie, starring Johnny Depp and John Turturro. It was written and directed by David Koepp, based on the novella Secret Window, Secret Garden by Stephen King.
- What do you think it means, you ignorant hick? I'm in the middle of a divorce. D-I-V-O-R-C-E. Deee-vorce!
- "I know I can do it", Todd Downey said, helping himself to another ear of corn from the steaming bowl. "I'm sure that in time, every bit of her will be gone, and her death will be a mystery... even to me."
- Won't do you any good to play games with me, Mr. Rainey. This has got to be settled.
- I suppose so. I suppose that's why I came all the way up here from Mississ'ippi.
- You strike me as the type of guy who's lookin' for a head he can knock off with a shovel. But what you don't understand is that if we do start to fight... this ain't gonna end, until the other one of us is dead.
- How'd you get it? That's what I really wanna know. How the hell did a big, money-scribblin' asshole like you get down to a little shitsplat town in Mississippi and steal my goddamn story?
- What happened? You finally nail one of your groupies at a book signing? The Omaha Barnes and Noble? [Irritated, Mort reaches forward and shuts off Ken's session timer; Ken pauses] That was a dick thing to say, you know? Rotten profession. I apologize.
Sheriff Dave Newsome
- [Reading Shooter's note] "You have three days. I'm not joking. No police." Anytime somebody sits down and writes "No police"... That's exactly the time that a fella should get himself over to the police.
- John Shooter: Won't do you any good to play games, Mister Rainey. This has got to be settled.
- Mort Rainey: So far as I'm concerned, it is.
- Mort Rainey: What is happening to me?
- John Shooter: Oh, I think you know. I think you have a real good idea.
- Mort Rainey: You don't exist.
- John Shooter: Me? I exist, Mr. Rainey. I exist because... you made me. You thought me up. Gave me my name. Told me everything you wanted me to do. I did them things so you didn't have to. [Flashbacks show Mort killing Ken Karsch and Tom Greenleaf and setting fire to his ex-wife's house, wearing Shooter's hat] Didn't have the stomach to do it yourself, but you knew I did. Are we done yet? We got things all cleaned up around here? What's the real reason I come for?
- Mort Rainey: Fix the story.
- John Shooter: That's right.
- Mort Rainey: Fix the ending. Got to fix the ending.
- John Shooter: And how exactly do you suppose we ought to do that? [Shooter places his hat in Mort's hands as Amy's car pulls into the driveway]
- Mort Rainey: Glad you're here, I could use the break. I've been working lunch. I'm on a roll.
- Sheriff Dave Newsome: Yeah. Listen, both you and I know what you did.
- Mort Rainey: Oh.
- Sheriff Dave Newsome: Maybe we don't have enough to put you away right now, but eventually... we're gonna find those bodies, we're gonna tie you to them. And you're goin' away. In the meantime I'd appreciate it if you didn't come into town anymore. Makes people uncomfortable. You can do your shopping in New London. [Mort is calm and unconcerned, giving no response] Did you hear what I said?
- Mort Rainey: Sure. No problem. [Sheriff Newsome starts to leave] You know, the only thing that matters is the ending. That's the most important part of the story, the ending. And this one... this one's very good. This one's perfect.
Encyclopedic article on Secret Window at Wikipedia