|edit the header|
This is a messageboard for all administrators.
- 1 INSTRUCTIONS
- 2 Discussions
- 2.1 Antichristos/Attractor321 apparently at work here again
- 2.2 Vandalism 126.96.36.199
- 2.3 Vandalism by 188.8.131.52
- 2.4 Page protection of User talk:Tegel
- 2.5 User:Abramsky
- 2.6 IP vandal 184.108.40.206...
- 2.7 Wikiquote:Votes for deletion/Frany Dejota
- 2.8 User:Johnnnnnnnn
- 2.9 Blatant Pro-Russian POV pusher
- 2.10 EphFan (talk · contributions) should probably be blocked here
- 2.11 Hey
Please feel free to report incidents, a complaint about an administrator, or anything you want administrators to be aware of.
Please be aware that these pages aren't the place to bring disputes over content, reports of abusive behavior, or requests for a mediation between another editor and you — we aren't referees, and have limited authority to deal with abusive editors. You are better to talk with that editor by mail or on talk, or ask other editors their opinion on Village pump.
The chief purpose of this page is to allow admins to ask each other for help and/or information, to communicate ideas, and for admin talk to happen.
However, any user of Wikiquote may post here. Admins are not a club of elites, but normal editors with some additional technical abilities. Anyone is free to use it to talk to admins as a group. Please feel free to leave a message.
If you do, please sign and date all contributions, using the Wikiquote special form "~~~~", which translates into a signature and a time stamp automatically.
To request special assistance from an administrator, like deletion, use appropriate pages or tags.
To request assistance from a specific administrator, see [[User talk:Whoever]].
If there is another page which is a more natural location for the discussion of a particular point, please start the discussion there, and only put a short note of the issue, and a link to the relevant location, on this page. Put another way, to the extent possible, discussions are better off held somewhere else, and announced here. This will avoid spreading discussion of one topic over several pages (thereby making them harder to follow), and also reduce the rate of changes to this page.
Pages needing admin intervention:
- Wikiquote:Protected titles
- MediaWiki:Bad image list
- MediaWiki:Sitenotice id when you update MediaWiki:Sitenotice, id num needs also to be incrementally grown
- MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist For global blacklisting, go to m:Talk:Spam blacklist instead.
- MediaWiki:Titleblacklist (upper compatible w/ MediaWiki:Usernameblacklist)
- Blocking policy
- List of blocked IP addresses and usernames
- Block log
- Wikiquote:Protection policy (now drafting)
- Protection log
Antichristos/Attractor321 apparently at work here again
I was just checking in briefly and noticed that the recent edit patterns of 7jtyghe (talk · contributions) closely correspond with those of the globally blocked cross-wiki abuser Antichristos who is believed to have operated on this and other wikis through many aliases including Attractor321 (talk · contributions), Ufj7v (talk · contributions), and probably at least a few others. ~ ♞☤☮♌Kalki·†·⚓⊙☳☶⚡ 15:11, 22 February 2019 (UTC)
- Blocked based on behavioral evidence. See also evidence at w:Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Antichristos/Archive. GMGtalk 17:16, 22 February 2019 (UTC)
- Also User:O47ftbvk, just for the record, in case this at some point needs a CU. GMGtalk 14:23, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
- Not Done I was watching this about 15 minutes after it ended, looking to see if it would continue. But it has at this point been about an hour. So either the user has stopped, or they've jumped IP addresses. Having said that, thank you very much for helping us fight vandalism. You're efforts are greatly appreciated. GMGtalk 23:15, 22 February 2019 (UTC)
Vandalism by 220.127.116.11
Particularly on Pocahontas (1995 film). Makes the same edits, exceeding the limit on quotes and unnecessary emphasis. I request this vandal be blocked and that all the pages it vandalized be protected, all for no less than a year. WikiLubber (talk) 19:11, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
- I don't really deal with pop culture on any project. But my daughter has watched Pocahontas enough that I can fairly well say the IP looks like they were having a go at trying to reproduce the script of the movie nearly in its entirety. Obviously we can't have that. Feel free to ping me if they return and go right back to it, or if they start again on another IP, and we can look to see if the article protection would be more effective than blocking. GMGtalk 19:22, 4 March 2019 (UTC)
Page protection of User talk:Tegel
- Tegel Done I started with six months, but given how long-term the vandalism is, if you want that extended to indef just let me know. GMGtalk 20:56, 7 March 2019 (UTC)
- As an office action no less, pinging User:UDScott and User:BD2412. GMGtalk 01:32, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
- And as soon as I post this I remember that crats can't remove the bit on this project. So support a vote of no confidence, to request that stewards remove the bit. GMGtalk 01:42, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
- @Vermont, Ningauble: The requested vote of confidence is now open at Wikiquote:Requests for adminship#Abramsky (talk · contributions). Cheers! BD2412 T 12:22, 18 March 2019 (UTC)
IP vandal 18.104.22.168...
...is at it again, still vandalizing Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983 TV series), claiming it was a Cartoon Network series. It was dead wrong, as usual, because Cartoon Network did not exist even when this animated series ended in 1990. The series premiered on NBC and no other network. I request this IP be duly blocked and the page be protected for no less than a year. WikiLubber (talk) 22:14, 10 March 2019 (UTC)
When someone gets a chance, can an uninvolved admin close this VfD? The content on Commons has already been deleted, and the Wikidata item is just wating on this discussion to be closed. GMGtalk 12:36, 11 March 2019 (UTC)
Blatant Pro-Russian POV pusher
Hi everyone. The user Om777om has been pushing a strong pro-Russian, anti-American agenda on various articles on the English Wikiquote that I wanted to bring to your attention. Here's a few examples:
- Created Charter of the United Nations. Insofar, all 7 quotes added to this page pertain to alleged violations of the charter by the United States, all but one from fringe sources. Thankfully, w:WP:RS/N sheds light as to the validity of the websites that these quites are derived from. Four of the quotes are from Global Research, a conspiracy website shown as such by both editorial consensus and NATO. One quote is from Sputnik News; that bias is self-explanatory, and another is a direct quote from Nicolas Maduro, where the user in question purposefully bolded the part saying the U.S. violated the charter. The final quote is from CounterPunch; see w:CounterPunch#Russian_disinformation.
- Created Foreign policy of the United States. Ten of the eleven quotes are anti-US, and from modern fringe sources. The page should be quotes about topics like the Monroe Doctrine, not that the "US and its allied neocolonial powers will forever continue to get away with mass murder and genocide." Most of the quotes are from Global Research, which I addressed in the last bullet. A few are from The Unz Review, referred to by the ADL as an "outlet for certain writers to attack Israel and Jews". One quote is from the BBC, which selectively picks parts of their profile on the U.S. to push their POV.
- Added a strongly anti-Israel quote to Benjamin Netanyahu from fringe source The Unz Review. (diff)
- They added many similar quotes to Israel, mostly not even focusing on Israel and simply bad things about Jews. Most additions are from The Unz Review, CounterPunch, or similar outlets.
- They have been adding pro-Venezuela quotes to Venezuela since December 2018. See the history of the article. I did a CTRL+F for Guaidó, and it only mentions him in quotes such as, "Juan Guaidó is the product of a decade-long project overseen by Washington’s elite regime change trainers" (first result).
- There are many similar additions to many articles which has been continuing, editing almost every day, since their first edit on November 1, 2018. I could go through them all, but it would take a lot of time. I believe the above, which is their more recent additions, accurately characterize why they're editing.
I recommend an indefinite block, as they're here only to push a political point of view, the deletion (or blanking of the quotes section) of all created articles except for Philip Giraldi, who wrote a few of those fringe articles from Global Research, and the removal of all political-related quotes. I can assist in the cleanup if consensus is to remove the politically-charged additions. Thanks, Vermont (talk) 10:39, 14 March 2019 (UTC)
- Just a comment, Ha! I was surprised when I saw his edit on cvn logs, I thought he was an established user, so I was kind of wondering if I should undo this users edit or not.Aldnonymous (talk) 10:47, 14 March 2019 (UTC)
- It is difficult to find very many, if any substantive edits by this user that are not overtly politically hyper-partisan, even on pages otherwise unrelated to politics. This is not the first time the issue has been raised (e.g., , ,  - Courtesy pings for @Ningauble: and @Kalki:). Their responses (e.g., , , ) seem to indicate that they see the issue primarily as one of righting great wrongs rather than trying to build a lasting educational resource. I do not believe the solution is, as they suggest on Talk:Charter of the United Nations, that if we want a neutral article, then someone needs to balance their own hyper-partisan content with contrary hyper-partisan content, because the purpose of this project is not to house hyper-partisan content. I'm inclined to say rather that if they cannot contribute to article in a way that is not overt political advocacy, then they need to stop contributing. GMGtalk 13:52, 14 March 2019 (UTC)
- I worry that "hyper-partisanship" is a slippery slope. It sounds like most, if not all of this editor's additions run afoul of WQ:Q and the editor can be blocked for that reason.
EphFan (talk · contributions) should probably be blocked here
Curious as to the character of the editor who sought to create a page devoted to the mass murderer who perpetrated the Christchurch mosque shootings, I did a lookup of the global accounts of EphFan (talk · contributions) and at Wikipedia I found a permanent block which noted :"This account is a sock puppet of Tyciol (talk · contribs · logs), and it has been blocked indefinitely", and at User:Tyciol one finds: "This user account has been locked across all Wikimedia projects." ~ ♞☤☮♌Kalki·†·⚓⊙☳☶⚡ 23:45, 17 March 2019 (UTC)
- Kalki, EphFan was globally locked on 18 March. But I'd say that if we find socks here of globally banned users who have been confirmed by CUs on another project, we can probably go ahead and block locally and report to stewards without the need for prior discussion. GMGtalk 12:26, 21 March 2019 (UTC)
I'm a troll