The War Doctor, portrayed by English actor John Hurt, is a designation of an incarnation of the Doctor, the protagonist of the BBC science fiction television programme Doctor Who. This incarnation does not use the name "The Doctor", as the Eighth Doctor, facing death, chose to regenerate as a "Warrior" to fight in the Time Wars. Although in the show's fictional chronology he precedes the Ninth Doctor (portrayed by Christopher Eccleston), his first onscreen appearance came eight years after Eccleston's; the War Doctor was retroactively created by showrunner Steven Moffat for productions celebrating the show's 50th anniversary in 2013.
- No more.
- Graffiti left as writing on a wall, in The Day of the Doctor (23 November 2013)
- Why is there never a big red button?
- Trying to figure out how the Moment works in The Day of the Doctor (23 November 2013)
- Anyone lose a fez?
- After stepping through the Time Fissure in The Day of the Doctor (23 November 2013)
- Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do; assemble a cabinet at them?
- After all three Doctors are surrounded by guards in The Day of the Doctor (23 November 2013)
- Yes...Of course, I suppose it makes sense... Wearing a bit thin... I hope the ears are a bit less conspicuous this time...
The Name of the Doctor [7.14]
- (18 May 2013)
- The War Doctor: What I did, I did without choice.
- The Doctor: I know.
- The War Doctor: In the name of peace and sanity.
- The Doctor: But not in the name of the Doctor!
- (23 November 2013)
- [The War Doctor deciding whether to destroy Gallifrey or not]
- The War Doctor: I have no desire to survive this.
- The Moment: Then that's your punishment. If you do this, if you kill them all, then that's the consequence. You... live. Gallifrey... you're going to burn it... and all those Daleks with it, but all those children too. How many children on Gallifrey right now?
- The War Doctor: I don't know.
- The Moment: One day, you will count them. One terrible night.
- [The Tenth, Eleventh, and War Doctors are surrounded by royal guards.]
- Guard Commander: Which of you is the Doctor? The Queen of England is bewitched, I would have the Doctor's head.
- The War Doctor: Well. This has all the makings of your lucky day.
- The War Doctor: Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?
- The Eleventh Doctor: [waves hands] Yes. No. [turns back to the guards] I demand to be incarcerated in the Tower immediately with my co-conspirators, Sandshoes and Grandad.
- The War Doctor: Grandad?!
- The Tenth Doctor: They're not sandshoes!
- The War Doctor: Yes, they are!
- [Watching the Tenth Doctor and Elizabeth I kiss]
- The War Doctor: Is there a lot of this in the future?
- The Eleventh Doctor: It does start to happen...
- [standing before the Moment machine, which has configured into a device with a plunger and a big red button]
- The Moment: Well, you wanted a big red button. One big bang. No more Time Lords. No more Daleks. Are you sure?
- The War Doctor: I was sure when I came in here. There is no other way.
- The Moment: You've seen the men you will become.
- The War Doctor: Those men. Extraordinary.
- The Moment: They were you.
- The War Doctor: No. They are the Doctor.
- The Moment: You're the Doctor, too.
- The War Doctor: No. Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost.
- The Moment: You know the sound the TARDIS makes? That wheezing, groaning. That sound brings hope wherever it goes.
- The War Doctor: Yes... yes, I like to think it does.
- The Moment: To anyone who hears it, Doctor. Anyone. However lost. [The TARDIS sound begins.] Even you.
- The War Doctor: I don't suppose we'll know if we actually succeeded. But, at worst, we failed doing the right thing, as opposed to succeeding in doing the wrong.
- Clara: Life and soul, you are.
- The War Doctor: Well, gentlemen, it has been a honour and a privilege.
- The Tenth Doctor: Likewise.
- The Eleventh Doctor: [pointedly] Doctor.
- The War Doctor: And if I grow to be half the man that you are, [turns to Clara] Clara Oswald, I shall be happy indeed.
- Clara:: That's right. Aim high.
- The War Doctor: I won't remember this, will I?
- The Eleventh Doctor: The time streams are out of sync. You can't retain it, no.
- The War Doctor: So I won't remember that I tried to save Gallifrey, rather than burn it. And I have to live with that. [His mood brightens slightly.] But for now, for this moment...I am the Doctor again. Thank you.