Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek Nemesis (Paramount Pictures, 2002) is the tenth feature film based on the popular Star Trek science fiction television series. From a scipt by John Logan, it is likely the last Star Trek film to feature the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise-E become involved in when the new Romulan Praetor Shinzon makes overtures for peace with the Federation. Surprisingly, Shinzon is not from Romulus, but from Remus, a native of the twin world of Romulus. But he is not even a normal Reman at that. Picard faces a new, very personal enemy, and the Enterprise-E is tasked with preventing a costly reignition of war between Romulus and Earth.
- [Picard toasts Riker and Troi] Will Riker, you have been my trusted right arm for fifteen years. You have kept my course true and steady. Deanna Troi, you've been my guide and my conscience. You have helped me recognize the better parts of myself. You are my family. And in best maritime tradition, I wish you both clear horizons. My good friends... make it so.
- [while being shot at during a car chase] I think it's time to try some unsafe velocities!
- [near a replicator] Tea, Earl Grey, hot.
- [seeing the Scimitar for the first time. With awe] She's a predator...
- If there is one ideal that the Federation holds most dear it is that all men... all races can be united. What better example than a Starfleet captain standing in the Romulan Senate. Nothing would make me more proud than to take your hand in friendship... in time... when that trust has been earned.
- [voiceover] Captain's Personal Log. The crew has responded with the dedication I've come to expect of them... And like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
- Mr. Data? Shut up. [to wedding guests] Fifteen years I've been waiting to say that!
- I will always be puzzled by the human predilection for piloting vehicles at unsafe velocities.
- [last word] Good-bye.
- [to Donatra] If you ever touch me again... I'll kill you.
- [imitating Picard when he asks for hot Earl Grey tea from a replicator] Tea, hot.
- [speaking to Picard via a holographic transmission.] I'll show you my true nature. Our nature. And as Earth dies - remember I will always forever be Shinzon of Remus. And my voice shall echo through time long after yours has faded to a dim memory. [fades out]
- [as the Scimitar's deadly thalaron superweapon activates, in an attempt to destroy the Enterprise] Some ideals are worth dying for, aren't they Jean-Luc?
- [last words] I'm glad we're together now. Our destiny is complete. [dies]
- B-4: [observes Picard] Why do you have a shiny head?
- B-4: [observes Riker] Why does the tall man have a furry face?
- Senator: Senators, consider the opportunities for the Empire. At last, the destinies of the planets Romulus and Remus will be united. Shinzon of Remus is offering us a chance to make ourselves stronger than ever before. It would be madness to reject it. I beg you not to let prejudice or politics interfere with this alliance. By joining Shinzon's forces with ours, not even the mighty Federation will be able to stand in our way.
- Praetor Hiren: That's enough!
- [first lines]
- Jean-Luc Picard: Duty. A starship captain's life is filled with solemn duty. I have commanded men in battle. I have negotiated peace treaties between implacable enemies. I have represented the Federation in First Contact with twenty-seven alien species. But none of this compares with my solemn duty today... as best man. Now, I know on an occasion such as this, it is expected that I be gracious and fulsome in my praise on the wonders of this blessed union. But have the two of you considered what you are doing to me?! (to general laughter) Of course, you're happy, but what about my needs? This is all a damned inconvenience. I mean, while you are happily settling in on the Titan, I will be training my new First Officer. You all know him. He's a tyrannical martinet who will never, ever allow me to go on away missions.
- Data: That is the regulation, sir. Starfleet Code Section 12, Paragraph Four...
- Jean-Luc Picard: Mr. Data?
- Data: Sir?
- Jean-Luc Picard: Shut up.
- Data: Yes, sir.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Fifteen years I've been waiting to say that.
- Geordi La Forge: You ever think about getting married again?
- Guinan: No. Twenty-three was my limit.
- [Worf with a hangover, groans with his head down on the table.]
- Guinan: Worf? Are you all right?
- Worf: Romulan ale should be illegal.
- Geordi La Forge: It is.
- Worf: Then it should be more illegal.
- Deanna Troi: That was a lovely toast.
- Jean-Luc Picard: It's from the heart.
- Deanna Troi: And you needn't worry. I'm going to brief your new counsellor everything she needs to know.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Like hell you are. You already know too much about me. But I take it, there will be no speeches during the ceremony on Betazed.
- William Riker: No... no speeches and no clothes.
- [Data on stage, toasts Riker and Troi]
- Data: Ladies and gentlemen and invited transgendered species...
- Deanna Troi: It's tradition, Worf. You of all people should appreciate that.
- Worf: I will - not - do it!
- Picard (arriving on the Bridge): Won't do what, Mr. Worf?
- Worf: Captain, I do not think it is appropriate for a Starfleet officer to appear... naked.
- Picard: Oh, come now. A big, handsome, strapping fellow like you? What can you be afraid of?
- Jean-Luc Picard: Don't worry, Number One. We'll still have you to Betazed with plenty of time to spare.
- William Riker: Thank you, sir.
- Jean-Luc Picard: [to Worf] Where we will all honor the Betazoid tradition [regarding nude marriages]. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the gym.
- William Riker: Captain, I don't have to remind you--
- Jean-Luc Picard: I appreciate your concern, Number One...But I have been itching to try the Argo.
- William Riker (grinning): I'll bet.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Captain's prerogative. There's no foreseeable danger. And your wife would never have forgiven me if anything would have happened to you. You have the bridge... Mister Troi!
- [The bridge crew laughs heartily at Riker's momentary demotion to house husband.]
[a robotic arm comes up from the ground and grabs Worf's foot. Startled, Worf kicks it off, picks it up and inspects it]
- Data: It appears to be a robotic arm.
- Worf: [sarcastically] Very astute
- Kathryn Janeway: Jean-Luc, how'd you like a trip to Romulus?
- Jean-Luc Picard: With or without the rest of the fleet?
- Kathryn Janeway: A diplomatic mission. We've been invited, believe it or not.
- Kathryn Janeway: The Son'a, the Borg, the Romulans-- you seem to get all the easy assignments.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Just lucky, Admiral.
- Kathryn Janeway: Let's hope that luck holds. Janeway out.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Helmsman, lay in a new course. Take us to Romulus, warp eight.
- Officer Branson: Aye aye, sir. Course plotted and laid in.
- William Riker: Romulus?
- Jean-Luc Picard: I'm afraid the Opal Sea will have to wait, Number One. Engage.
- Data: B-4, do you know where you are?
- B-4: I am in a room...with lights!
- Shinzon: My life is meaningless as long as you're still alive. What am I while you exist? A shadow? An echo?
- Jean-Luc Picard: If your issues are about me, then deal with me! This has nothing to do with my ship - nothing to do with the Federation!
- Shinzon: Oh, but it does! We will no longer bow before anyone as slaves - not the Romulans, and not your mighty Federation! We are a race bred for war and conquest!
- Shinzon: You are me. The same noble Picard blood runs through our veins. Had you lived my life, you'd be doing exactly as I am. So look in the mirror. See yourself. Consider that, Captain. I can think of no greater torment for you.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Shinzon...I'm a mirror for you, as well.
- Shinzon: Not for long, Captain. I'm afraid you won't survive to witness the victory of the echo over the voice.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Why have you brought me here?!
- Shinzon: [sarcastically] I was lonely.
- Data: [as B-4] Move, puny human animal.
- Jean-Luc Picard: [whispering] A bit less florid, Data.
- Data: I must deactivate you.
- B-4: For how long?
- Data: Indefinitely.
- B-4: How long is that--
- Data: A long time, brother.
- Data: The B-4 is physically identical to me, although his neural pathways are not as advanced. But even if they were, he would not be me.
- Jean-Luc Picard (still uncertain): How can you be sure?
- Data: I aspire, sir, to be better than I am. B-4 does not. Nor does Shinzon.
- Geordi La Forge: Captain, we're being hailed.
- Jean-Luc Picard: On screen. [remembers that the viewscreen has been destroyed] Open a channel.
- Donatra: [over the intercom] This is Commander Donatra of the Valdore. We're dispatching shuttles with medical personnel and supplies.
- Jean-Luc Picard: Thank you, Commander.
- Donatra: You've earned a friend in the Romulan Empire today, Captain. I hope the first of many. Valdore out.
- B-4: Never saw the sun... never saw the sun... never saw the sun...
- Jean-Luc Picard: Shining so bright...
- B-4: Shining so bright, never saw things...
- Jean-Luc Picard: Going so right.
- B-4: Going so right...
- [last lines]
- Reman Viceroy: But in darkness... there is strength.
- Shinzon: The mighty Federation will fall before us, as I promised you. The time we have dreamed of is at hand.
- Worf: I recommend extreme caution.
- Jean-Luc Picard: It was as if a part of me had been stolen.
- Jean-Luc Picard: [alternate last line] It's a place where... where no one has gone before.
|Creator||Gene Roddenberry (1921–1991)|
|Television series||Star Trek (1966–1969) · The Animated Series (1973–1974) · The Next Generation (1987–1994) · Deep Space Nine (1993–1999) · Voyager (1995–2001) · Enterprise (2001–2005) · Discovery (2017–)|
|Feature films||The Original Series||The Motion Picture (1979) · The Wrath of Khan (1982) · The Search for Spock (1984) · The Voyage Home (1986) · The Final Frontier (1989) · The Undiscovered Country (1991)|
|The Next Generation||Generations (1994) · First Contact (1996) · Insurrection (1998) · Nemesis (2002)|
|Reboot series||Star Trek (2009) · Into Darkness (2013) · Beyond (2016)|
|Video games||Borg (1996) · Klingon Academy (2000)|
|Proverbs||Klingon · Vulcan|
|Other||Star Trek franchise · Last words in Star Trek media · Jean-Luc Picard· Phase II|