Star Trek Into Darkness
Star Trek Into Darkness (Paramount Pictures, 2013) is the twelfth feature film based on the popular science fiction television series, Star Trek: The Original Series. The film takes place in an alternate time line, dealing with James T. Kirk and the USS Enterprise crew hunting down rogue Federation agent John Harrison.
James T. Kirk
- There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves. Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that's not who we are... When Christopher Pike first gave me his ship, he had me recite the Captain's Oath. Words I didn't appreciate at the time. But now I see them as a call for us to remember who we once were and who we must be again. And those words: Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Her five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.
John Harrison / Khan Noonien Singh
- You SHOULD HAVE LET ME SLEEP! [crushes Admiral Marcus' skull]
- You think your world is safe? It is an illusion, a comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace, for I have returned, to have my vengeance.
- [Kirk and Spock debate about extracting Spock from Nibiru]
- Spock: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
- Kirk: Spock, we're talking about your life!
- Kirk: If Spock were here and I were in there, what would he do?
- McCoy: He'd let you die.
- Kirk: I don't know what to say.
- Pike: That is a first.
- Kirk: Why is there a man in that torpedo?
- John Harrison: There are men and women in all those torpedoes, Captain. I put them there.
- Kirk: Who the hell are you?
- John Harrison: A remnant of the time long past. Genetically engineered to be superior as so as to lead others to peace in a world at war. We were condemned as criminals; forced into exile. For centuries we slept, hoping when we awoke things would be different. But as a result of the destruction of Vulcan, your Starfleet began to aggressively search distant quadrants of space; my ship was found adrift, I, alone, was revived.
- Kirk: I looked up John Harrison. Until a year ago, he didn't exist.
- John Harrison: John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause. A smokescreen to conceal my true identity. My name is...Khan.
- Kirk: Why would a Starfleet admiral ask a 300-year-old frozen man for help?
- Khan: Because I am ... better.
- Kirk: At what?
- Khan: Everything. Alexander Marcus needed to respond to an uncivilized threat in a civilized time, and for that, he needed a warrior's mind. My mind. To design weapons and warships.
- Spock: You are suggesting the admiral violated every regulation he vowed to uphold simply because he wanted to exploit your intellect?
- Khan: He wanted to exploit my savagery! Intellect alone is useless in a fight, Mr. Spock. You, you can't even break a rule, how would you be expected to break bone? Marcus used me to design weapons to help him realize his vision of a militarized Starfleet. He sent you to use those weapons, to fire my torpedoes on an unsuspecting planet, and then he purposely crippled your ship in enemy space leading to one inevitable outcome. The Klingons would come searching for whomever was responsible and you would have no chance at escape. Marcus would finally have the war he talked about, the war he always wanted.
- Kirk: No. No. I watched you open fire in a room full of unarmed Starfleet officers. You killed them in cold blood!
- Khan: [turns back away from Kirk] Marcus took my crew from me...
- Kirk: You are a murderer!
- Khan: He used my friends to control me. I tried to smuggle them to safety by concealing them in the very weapons I had designed, but I was discovered. I had no choice but to escape alone and when I did, I had every reason to suspect that Marcus had killed every single one of the people I hold most dear. [sheds a tear] So, I responded in kind. [turns to face Kirk] My crew is my family, Kirk. Is there anything you would not do for your family?
- [Spock contacts New Vulcan on the viewscreen. Spock Prime answers.]
- Spock Prime: Mr. Spock.
- Spock: Mr. Spock.
- Spock: I will be brief. In your travels, did you ever encounter a man named Khan?
- Spock Prime: As you know, I have made a vow never to give you information that could potentially alter your destiny. Your path is yours to walk, and yours alone. That being said, Khan Noonien Singh is the most dangerous adversary the Enterprise ever faced. He is brilliant, ruthless, and he will not hesitate to kill every single one of you.
- Spock: Did you defeat him?
- Spock Prime: At great cost, yes.
- Spock: How?
- [Khan appears on the viewscreen, holding Kirk at phaserpoint.]
- Khan: I'm going to make this very simple for you. Your crew for my crew.
- Spock: You betrayed us.
- Khan: Oh, you are smart, Mr. Spock.
- Kirk: Spock, don't-
- Khan: [beats Kirk to the floor] Mr. Spock, give me my crew.
- Spock: What will you do when you get them?
- Khan: Continue the work we were doing before we were banished.
- Spock: Which, as I would understand it, involves the mass genocide of any being you find to be less than superior.
- Khan: Shall I destroy you, Mr. Spock? Or will you give me what I want?
- Spock: We have no transporter capabilities.
- Khan: Fortunately, mine are perfectly functional. Drop your shields.
- Spock: If I do so, I have no guarantee you will not destroy the Enterprise.
- Khan: Well, let's play this out logically then, Mr. Spock. Firstly, I will kill your captain to demonstrate my resolve. Then, if yours holds, I will have no choice but to kill you and your entire crew.
- Spock: If you destroy our ship, you will also destroy your own people.
- Khan: Your crew requires oxygen to survive, mine does not. I will target your life support systems, located behind the aft nacelle. And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people. Now, shall we begin?
- Spock: Lower shields.
- Khan: A wise choice, Mr. Spock. [sees torpedoes beamed to the Vengeance] I see all 72 torpedoes are still in their tubes. If they're not mine, Commander, I will know it.
- Spock: Vulcans do not lie. The torpedoes are yours.
- Khan: Thank you, Mr Spock.
- Spock: I have fulfilled your terms. Now fulfill mine.
- Khan: Well Kirk, it seems apt to return you to your crew. [beams away Kirk and Dr. Marcus] After all, no ship should go down without her captain.
- Kirk: How's our ship?
- Spock: Out of danger.
- Kirk: Good...
- Spock: You saved the crew.
- Kirk: You used what he wanted against him. That's a nice move.
- Spock: It is what you would have done.
- Kirk: And this... this is what you would have done. It was only logical. I'm scared, Spock. Help me not be. How do you choose not to feel?
- Spock: I do not know. [tears fall] Right now, I am failing.
- Kirk: I want you to know why I couldn't let you die... why I went back for you...[Scotty looks on mournfully]
- Spock: Because you are my friend. [Kirk places his hand against the glass and gives the Vulcan Salute as he dies] KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!
- [Kirk wakes from a coma]
- McCoy: Oh, don't be so melodramatic. You were barely dead. It was the transfusion that really took its toll. You were in a coma for two weeks.
- Kirk: Transfusion?
- McCoy: Your cells were heavily irradiated. We had no choice.
- Kirk: Khan?
- McCoy: Once we caught him, I synthesized a serum from his superblood. Tell me, are you feeling homicidal, power-mad, despotic?
- Kirk: No more than usual.
- Kirk: [to Spock] You saved my life.
- McCoy: Uhura and I had something to do with it too, you know.
- Spock: You saved my life, Captain, and the lives of the-
- Kirk: Spock, just... Thank you.
- Spock: You are welcome, Jim.
- Chris Pine - Captain James Tiberius Kirk
- Zachary Quinto - Commander Spock
- Zoe Saldana - Lieutenant Nyota Uhura
- Karl Urban - Lieutenant Commander Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy
- Simon Pegg - Lieutenant Commander Montgomery "Scotty" Scott
- John Cho - Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu
- Benedict Cumberbatch - "John Harrison" / Khan Noonien Singh
- Anton Yelchin - Ensign Pavel Chekov
- Bruce Greenwood - Rear Admiral Christopher Pike
- Peter Weller - Admiral Alexander Marcus
- Alice Eve - Dr. Carol Marcus
- Noel Clarke - Thomas Harewood
- Nazneen Contractor - Rima Harewood
- Leonard Nimoy - Spock Prime
|Creator||Gene Roddenberry (1921–1991)|
|Television series||Star Trek (1966–1969) · The Animated Series (1973–1974) · The Next Generation (1987–1994) · Deep Space Nine (1993–1999) · Voyager (1995–2001) · Enterprise (2001–2005) · Discovery (2017–)|
|Feature films||The Original Series||The Motion Picture (1979) · The Wrath of Khan (1982) · The Search for Spock (1984) · The Voyage Home (1986) · The Final Frontier (1989) · The Undiscovered Country (1991)|
|The Next Generation||Generations (1994) · First Contact (1996) · Insurrection (1998) · Nemesis (2002)|
|Reboot series||Star Trek (2009) · Into Darkness (2013) · Beyond (2016)|
|Video games||Borg (1996) · Klingon Academy (2000)|
|Proverbs||Klingon · Vulcan|
|Other||Star Trek franchise · Last words in Star Trek media · Jean-Luc Picard· Phase II|