Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Paramount Pictures, 1991) is the sixth feature film based on the popular Star Trek science fiction television series. It is the last of the films based solely on Star Trek: The Original Series cast and it presents their final mission together.
- Directed by Nicholas Meyer. Written by Leonard Nimoy, Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal, Nicholas Meyer, and Denny Martin Flinn.
James T. Kirk
- Captain's Log, Stardate 9522.6: I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my boy. It seems to me our mission to escort the Chancellor of the Klingon High Council to a peace summit is problematic at best. Spock says this could be an historic occasion, and I'd like to believe him. But how on Earth can history get past people like me?
- [last lines] Captain's Log, Stardate 9529.1: This is the final cruise of the Starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew. To them and their posterity will we commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun and journey to all the undiscovered countries, boldly going where no man - where no one - has gone before.
- Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?
- [Paraphrased, The Merchant of Venice, Act III, Scene i.]
- [at Kirk and McCoy's trial] Indeed, the record shows that Captain Kirk once held the rank of admiral, and that Admiral Kirk was broken for taking matters into his own hands in defiance of regulations of the law! Do you deny being demoted for these charges?! Don't wait for the translation! Answer me now!
- Spock: Good morning. Two months ago, a Federation starship monitored an explosion on the Klingon moon, Praxis. We believed it was caused by overmining and insufficient safety precautions. The moon's decimation means a deadly pollution of their ozone. They will have depleted their supply of oxygen in approximately 50 Earth-years. Due to their enormous military budget, the Klingon economy does not have the resources with which to combat this catastrophe. Last month, at the behest of the Vulcan ambassador, I opened a dialogue with Gorkon, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council. He proposes to commence negotiations at once.
- Admiral Cartwright: Negotiations for what?
- Spock: The dismantling of our space stations and starbases along the Neutral Zone, an end to almost 70 years of unremitting hostility which the Klingons can no longer afford.
- Valeris: Captain, there is a supply of Romulan ale aboard. It might make the evening pass more ...smoothly?
- Kirk: Officer thinking, Lieutenant.
- Chekov: Guess who is coming to dinner?
- Chancellor Gorkon: I offer a toast. The undiscovered country--the future.
- Everyone: The undiscovered country.
- Spock: Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1.
- Gorkon: You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.
- Chang: taH pagh taHbe' [Klingons laugh] "To be or not to be?" That is the question which preoccupies our people, Captain Kirk. We need breathing room.
- James Kirk: Earth. Hitler, 1938.
- Chang: I beg your pardon? [pause]
- Gorkon: Well, I see we have a long way to go.
- Chang: [over the Enterprise public address speakers] I am constant as the Northern Star.
- Leonard McCoy: [to Spock, while fixing a photon torpedo to track down Chang's warship] I'd give real money if he'd shut up.
- [The Enterprise and Excelsior crews have just averted the assassination of the Federation president]
- Azetbur: What's happened? What's the meaning of all of this?
- James T. Kirk: It's about the future, Madame Chancellor. Some people think the future means the end of history. Well, we haven't run out of history quite yet. Your father called the future the undiscovered country. People can be very frightened of change.
- Azetbur: You've restored my father's faith.
- Kirk: And you've restored my son's.
- [The Enterprise crew see Sulu and the Excelsior bridge crew]
- James T. Kirk: Captain Sulu! As much to the crew of the Enterprise, I owe you my thanks.
- Capt. Hikaru Sulu: Nice to see you in action one more time, Captain Kirk. Take care. [Excelsior leaves]
- Commander Leonard McCoy: By God, that's a big ship.
- Montgomery Scott: Not so big as her captain, I think.
- Commander Pavel Chekov: So, this is goodbye.
- Kirk: I think its about time we got underway ourselves. [sits on captain's chair]
- Commander Nyota Uhura: Captain, I have orders from Starfleet Command. We're to put back to Spacedock immediately ... to be decommissioned. [long pause as Kirk contemplates the order]
- Spock: If I were human, I believe my response would be "go to Hell." [Kirk looks at Spock] If I were human.
- Chekov: Course heading, Captain?
- Kirk: Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
|William Shatner||Captain James T. Kirk|
|Leonard Nimoy||Captain Spock|
|DeForest Kelley||Dr. Leonard McCoy|
|James Doohan||Captain Montgomery Scott|
|George Takei||Captain Hikaru Sulu|
|Walter Koenig||Commander Pavel Chekov|
|Nichelle Nichols||Commander Nyota Uhura|
|Grace Lee Whitney||Commander Janice Rand|
|Mark Lenard||Ambassador Sarek|
|Kim Cattrall||Lieutenant Valeris|
|David Warner||Chancellor Gorkon|
|Rosanna DeSoto||Chancellor Azetbur|
|Christopher Plummer||General Chang|
|Kurtwood Smith||Federation President|
|Brock Peters||Admiral Cartwright|
|John Schuck||Klingon Ambassador|
|W. Morgan Sheppard||Commandant|
|Michael Dorn||Colonel Worf|
|Rene Auberjonois||Colonel West (uncredited)|
|Christian Slater||Excelsior Communications Officer (cameo)|
- He was not well, and maybe there were more tactful ways of dealing with it, because at the end of the day, I was going to go out and make the movie. I didn't have to take him on. Not my finest hour.
- Nicholas Meyer Star Trek Movie Memories, 1995, pp. 366-367
- If I’m interpreting him correctly and if I’m believing what he said, Mr. Roddenberry really believed in the perfectability of man, of humans, and I have yet to see the evidence for this. So ‘VI’ is a film in which the crew of the Enterprise has all kinds of prejudice, racial prejudice, vis-a-vis the Klingons. And some of their remarks, including how they all look alike and what they smell like, and all the xenophobic things which we grappled with — that was all deeply offensive to him because he thought there isn’t going to be that. In fact, in his original ‘Star Trek’ concept, there wasn’t any conflict. So he always had problems with writers who were trying to write conflict, because that’s what drama is, so he was very distressed with the world of the Enterprise – the kind of ‘music’ I was writing.
- Nicholas Meyer 
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country at StarTrek.com
|Creator||Gene Roddenberry (1921–1991)|
|Television series||Star Trek (1966–1969) · The Animated Series (1973–1974) · The Next Generation (1987–1994) · Deep Space Nine (1993–1999) · Voyager (1995–2001) · Enterprise (2001–2005)|
|Feature films||The Original Series|| The Motion Picture (1979) · The Wrath of Khan (1982) · The Search for Spock (1984) · The Voyage Home (1986) · The Final Frontier (1989) · The
Undiscovered Country (1991)
|The Next Generation||Generations (1994) · First Contact (1996) · Insurrection (1998) · Nemesis (2002)|
|Reboot series||Star Trek (2009) · Into Darkness (2013) · Beyond (2016)|
|Fan productions||Drama|| Hidden Frontier (2000–2007) · Starship Exeter (2002, 2014) · Phase II (2004–present) · Intrepid (2007–2008) · Odyssey (2007–) · Excelsior (2007–present) · Starship Farragut
(2007–present) · Continuing Mission (2007–present) · Of Gods and Men (2008) · Phoenix (2010–present) · Continues (2013–present) · Prelude to Axanar (2014) · Renegades
(2015) · Axanar (2016)
|Parody||Star Wreck (feature film) (1992–present) · Steam Trek: The Moving Picture (1994) · Redshirt Blues (2001)|
|Video games||Borg (1996) · Klingon Academy (2000)|
|Documentaries|| Trekkies (1997) · Mind Meld (2001) · Trekkies 2 (2004) · How William Shatner Changed the World (2005) · Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier (2007) · The Captains (2011) · Trek
Nation (2011) · To Be Takei (2014)
|Proverbs||Klingon · Vulcan|
|Science||The Physics of Star Trek (1995) by Lawrence M. Krauss · Beyond Star Trek (1997) by Lawrence M. Krauss|
|Other||Star Trek franchise · Last words in Star Trek media · Jean-Luc Picard|