Star Trek (film)
Star Trek (Paramount Pictures, 2009) is the eleventh feature film based on the popular science fiction television series, Star Trek: The Original Series. The film takes place in an alternate time line and explores the backstories of James T. Kirk and Spock, before they unite aboard the USS Enterprise to combat Nero, a Romulan from the future (thus creating the alternate timeline) who threatens the United Federation of Planets.
- [final lines] Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone... before.
- James T. Kirk was considered to be a great man. He went on to captain the USS Enterprise... but that was another life. A life I will deprive you of, just like I did your father!
- [Aboard the USS Kelvin, Robau requests Kirk to follow him to the shuttlebay for his final orders]
- Robau: If I don't report in 15 minutes, evacuate the crew.
- George Samuel Kirk: Sir, we can't just-
- Robau: There is no help for us out here. Use the auto-pilot, and get off this ship.
- Kirk: Aye, Captain.
- Robau: [grimly] You're Captain now, Mr. Kirk.
- [Leonard McCoy sits down next to Kirk on a shuttle]
- McCoy: I may throw up on you.
- Kirk: I think these things are pretty safe.
- McCoy: Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.
- Kirk: Well I hate to break this to you, but Starfleet operates in space.
- McCoy: Yeah, well, I got no where else to go. The ex-wife took the whole damn planet in the divorce. All I got left is my bones.
- [Kirk is caught cheating on Spock's Kobayashi Maru test]
- Kirk: The test itself is a cheat, isn't it? I mean you program it to be unwinnable.
- Spock: Your argument precludes the possibility of a no-win scenario.
- Kirk: I don't believe in no-win scenarios.
- Spock: Then not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principal lesson.
- Kirk: Please, enlighten me.
- Spock: You of all people should know, Cadet Kirk. A captain cannot cheat death.
- Kirk: I of all people?
- Spock: Your father, Lieutenant George Kirk, assumed command of his vessel before being killed in action, did he not?
- Kirk: [defensively] I don't think you like the fact that I beat your test...
- Spock: Furthermore, you have failed to divine the purpose of the test.
- Kirk: [seething with anger] Enlighten me again.
- Spock: The purpose is to experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death. To accept that fear, and maintain control of oneself and one's crew. This is a quality expected in every Starfleet captain.
- Kirk: What's it like? Not to feel anger or heartbreak, or the need to stop at nothing to avenge the death of the woman who gave birth to you?
- Spock: Back away from me-
- Kirk: You feel nothing! It must not even compute for you! You never loved her! [Spock attacks Kirk in anger]
- Sarek: [Spock is choking Kirk] Spock!
- Spock: [breaks off; to McCoy] Doctor, I am no longer fit for duty. I hereby relinquish my command on the grounds that I have been emotionally compromised. Please note the time and date in the ship's log.
- Scotty: [after an awkward silence] I like this ship! You know, it's exciting!
- McCoy: Well congratulations, Jim, now we've got no captain and no goddamn first officer to replace him.
- Kirk: Yeah, we do. [Kirk sits in the Captain's chair]
- Sulu: Pike made him first officer.
- McCoy: You've gotta be kidding me!
- Kirk: Thanks for the support.
- Uhura: I sure hope you know what you're doing, Captain.
- Kirk: So do I. [Kirk opens a comm link] Attention, crew of the Enterprise, this is James Kirk. Mr. Spock has resigned commission and advanced me to acting Captain. I know you are all expecting to regroup with the fleet, but I'm ordering a pursuit course of the enemy ship to Earth. I want all departments at battle stations and ready in ten minutes. Either we're going down...or they are. Kirk out.
- Ayel: [choking Kirk] You can't even speak... [Kirk chokes out an intelligible statement] What?
- Kirk: I got your gun. [shoots Ayel]
- [Kirk offers Nero assistance]
- Spock: Captain, what are you doing?
- Kirk: Spock, showing them compassion might go a long way to promoting peace between us and the Romulans. It's logic, I thought you'd like that.
- Spock: No, not really. Not this time.
- Nero: I would rather suffer the end of Romulus a thousand times. I would rather die in agony, than accept assistance from you!
- Kirk: You got it. Arm phasers, fire everything we've got.
- [Spock notices an elder Vulcan walking in the docking bay]
- Spock: Father...
- Spock Prime: [turns around to face him] I am not our father. There are so few Vulcans left. We cannot afford to ignore each other.
- Spock: [gets closer] Then why did you send Kirk aboard, when you alone could have explained the truth?
- Spock Prime: Because you needed each other. I could not deprive you of the revelation of all that you could accomplish together, of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot yet realize.
- Spock: How did you persuade him to keep your secret?
- Spock Prime: He inferred that universe-ending paradoxes would ensue should he break his promise...
- Spock: You lied?
- Spock Prime: Ah... I - I implied.
- Spock: A gamble.
- Spock Prime: An act of faith. One I hope that you will repeat in your future in Starfleet.
- Spock: In the face of extinction, it is only logical that I resign my Starfleet commission and help rebuild our race...
- Spock Prime: And yet, you can be in two places at once. I urge you to remain in Starfleet. I have already located a suitable planet in which to establish a Vulcan colony. Spock, in this case, do yourself a favor: Put aside logic. Do what feels right. [turns to leave] Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self-serving, I shall simply say... [shows Vulcan hand salute] Good luck.
- The Future Begins.
- Prepare For The Beginning.
- This is not your father's Star Trek.
- Star Trek quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- Star Trek at StarTrek.com
- Star Trek on Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)
|Quotes for other Star Trek television series and feature films|
The Original Series · The Animated Series · The Next Generation · Deep Space Nine · Voyager · Enterprise
The Motion Picture · II: The Wrath of Khan · III: The Search for Spock · IV: The Voyage Home · V: The Final Frontier · VI: The Undiscovered Country