A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, also known as Srila Prabhupada, (1 September 1896 – 14 November 1977) was a Gaudiya Vaishnava spiritual teacher and the founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, commonly known as the Hare Krishna Movement.
|The neutrality of this article is disputed.|
Please see the relevant discussion on the talk page.
- Actually, it doesn't matter – Krishna or Christ – the name is the same. The main point is to follow the injunctions of the Vedic scriptures that recommend chanting the name of God in this age.
- In Kali-yuga vice increases to such a point that at the termination of the yuga the Supreme Lord Himself appears as the Kalki avatara, vanquishes the demons, saves His devotees, and commences another Satya-yuga.
- Bhagavad-Gita As It Is, Chapter 8: Attaining the Supreme, purport (1972)
Quotes from Books: Loving God
- Love of God is dormant in every living entity.
- Multiple books, 1970 to 1977. Vanipedia
- Love of God is not an ordinary commodity. Caitanya Mahāprabhu was worshiped by Rūpa Gosvāmī because He distributed love of God, kṛṣṇa-premā, to everyone. Rūpa Gosvāmī praised Him as mahā-vadānya, a greatly munificent personality, because He was freely distributing to everyone love of Godhead, which is achieved by wise men only after many, many births. Kṛṣṇa-premā, Kṛṣṇa consciousness, is the highest gift which can be bestowed on anyone whom we presume to love.
- Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 3 chapter 23 verse 8, Bhaktivedanta Book Trust, 1972. Vanipedia
- When one's relationship with the Supreme Lord is established, the next program is to act in that relationship. This is called abhidheya, or activity in relationship with the Lord. After executing such prescribed duties, when one attains the highest goal of life, love of Godhead, he achieves prayojana-siddhi, or the fulfillment of his human mission.
- Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta Ādi-līlā 7.146, Bhaktivedanta Book Trust, 1975. Vanipedia]
- Although there is no difference between a devotee in śānta-rasa or dāsya-rasa, vātsalya-rasa or mādhurya-rasa, one can still make a comparative study of the intensity of love in these different transcendental positions. For example, it may be said that dāsya-rasa is better than śānta-rasa, yet transcendental love of God is there in both of them.
- Śrī Caitanya-caritāmṛta Madhya-līlā 8.83, Bhaktivedanta Book Trust, 1975. Vanipedia
Quotes from other Sources
- We are not teaching some ritualistic process, that "You become Hindu. You become Christian. You become Muhammadan." We are simply teaching, "You try to love God. You have forgotten God. You have declared, 'God is dead.' These are all nonsense. God is there. You are here. You are suffering because you have forgotten God. You try to love God. Your normal life will come back. You will be happy." This is Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement.
- Lecture on Bhagavad-gītā 4.7-10 - Los Angeles, January 6, 1969. Vanipedia
Quotes from other Sources: Loving God
- Serving means developing love. So unless you develop your love for God you cannot serve Him. Anywhere. Whenever you give some service, it is based on love. Just like mother giving service to the helpless child. Why? Love. So similarly, our life will be perfect when our love is perfect with the perfect Supreme Personality of Godhead. Then it is all right.
- Lecture - Seattle, September 30, 1968. Vanipedia
- If you want to love God, there is nothing throughout the whole world which can check you. Simply you have to develop your eagerness: "Kṛṣṇa, I want You." That's all. Then there is no question of checking. In any condition you'll increase your love, increase your love.
- Sri Isopanisad, Mantra 1 - Los Angeles, May 3, 1970. Vanipedia
- Just like Lord Jesus Christ. He never advised to, for economic development, for industrial development, or this and that. So many things. He sacrificed everything for God. That is one test, that "Here is a lover of God." He was punished that "You, you stop this preaching," but he did not. So that is love of God. He sacrificed everything. That is love of God. So the ideal is Lord Jesus Christ, and the follower must be, at least to some extent, to that point. That is test. So we say that you follow any religious path. That doesn't matter. We want to see whether you are lover of God. That is our propaganda. And if one is serious about loving God, it doesn't matter in which way he'll develop that dormant love.
- Room Conversation - August 14, 1971, London. Vanipedia
- Those who are yogis, bhakta-yogis, because they are in love with God, Kṛṣṇa, they are seeing every moment within their heart the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Anyone you love, you see always within your heart. Similarly, if you have love for God, Kṛṣṇa, then you can see Kṛṣṇa always. That is called yoga system.
- Lecture on The Nectar of Devotion - Bombay, December 27, 1972. Vanipedia