A Bug's Life
A Bug's Life is a computer animated film, released by Disney and Pixar to theatres in 1998. It concerns an oddball ant named Flik, who recruits circus bugs to defend his colony from grasshoppers. The story is an interpretation of the classic Kurosawa film, The Seven Samurai.
- Ants are not meant to serve grasshoppers. I've seen these ants do great things, and year after year, they somehow manage to pick enough food for themselves and you. So-so who's the weaker species? Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's you who need us! We're a lot stronger than you say we are. And you know it, don't you?
- [after Heimlich suggests that he tell the truth] They can't know the truth! The truth, you see, is bad! I will be branded with this mistake for the rest of my life! My children's children will walk down the street, and people will point and say "Look! There goes the spawn of Flik the Loser!"
- So, where is it? Where's my FOOD!?
- Oh, I see! Under new management! So it's your fault.
- Ah-ah-ah. First rule of leadership: everything is your fault. It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, Princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things. Now let me tell you how things are supposed to work out: the sun grows the food, the ants pick the food, the grasshoppers eat the food...
- We'll be back at the end of the season... (produces an autumn leaf) ...when the last leaf falls. (drops it and prepares to leave) You ants have a nice summer. (to his troops) LET'S RIDE!!! (all grasshoppers cheer and leave after him)
- I swear, if I hadn't promised Mother on her deathbed that I wouldn't kill you, I would kill you!!
- You let one ant stand up to us, and they all might stand up! Those puny little ants outnumber us a hundred to one. And if they ever figure that out, there goes our way of life! It's not about food. It's about keeping those ants in line. THAT'S WHY WE'RE GOING BACK! Does anybody else wanna stay?
- Queen: That's our lot in life. It's not a lot, but it's our life! Ah-ha-ha-ha!
- Fly: I only got 24 hours to live, and I ain't gonna waste it here!
- Heimlich: Someday, I will be a beautiful butterfly, and then everything will be better.
- Heimlich: But I am flying! And from way up here, you all look like little ants!
- P.T.: These guys are the lousiest circus-bugs you've ever seen! And they're gonna make me rich!
- Atta: I want you to leave, Flik. And this time, don't come back.
- P.T.: We're losin' the audience! You clowns get out there now!
- Heimlich: I hate performing on an empty stomach!
- P.T.: Do your act, Heimlich, then you can eat.
- Slim: P.T., what's the point?
- P.T.: Not now, Slim.
- Slim: What's the point of going out there? They'll only laugh at me.
- P.T.: That's because you're a clown!
- Slim: No. It's because I'm a PROP! You always cast me as the broom, the pole, the stick! A splinter!
- P.T.: You're a walking stick! It's funny! NOW, GO!
- Slim: You parasite.
- Fly 1: [to Francis] Hey, cutie! Wanna pollinate with a real bug? [laughs]
- [Francis flies up to the pair of flies and throws his hat off]
- Francis: So, bein' a ladybug automatically makes me a girl! Is that it, flyboy?! Huh?!
- Fly 2: Yikes!
- Fly 1: She's a guy!
- Heimlich: Francis, leave them alone! They are poo-poo heads!
- P.T.: Not again!
- Francis: Judging by your breath, you must've been buzzin' around a dung heap all day!
- Slim: Come on, Francis. You're making the maggots cry.
[Francis is still confronting the flies]
- Francis: Any time, pal! I'm gonna pick the hairs outta your head, one by one!
- Fly 1: You take your best shot!
- Francis: You name the place!
- Fly 1: Oh, yeah?!
- Francis: Yes! 'Cause when you get there, you are dead!
- Slim: Francis, let me handle this. [to the flies] That's no way to speak to a lady.
- Francis: I heard that, you twig!
- Hopper: So, where is it? Where's my FOOD?!
- Atta: I-Isn't it up there?
- Hopper: What?
- Atta: The food was sitting in a leaf on top--
- Hopper: Excuse me.
- Atta: Are you sure it's not up there?
- Hopper: Are you saying I'm stupid?
- Atta: No.
- Hopper: Do I look stupid... to you? Let's just think about the logic, shall we? Let's just think about it for a second. If it was up there, would I be coming down here, to you level, looking for it?! Why am I even talking to you? You're not the queen. You don't smell like the queen.
- Queen: She's learning to take over for me, Hopper.
- Hopper: Oh, I see. Under new management. So it's your fault.
- Atta: No, it wasn't me, it was--
- Hopper: Uh-uh-uh. First rule of leadership: Everything is your fault.
- Atta: But-But-I--
- Hopper: It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, Princess, one of those circle-of-life kind of things. Now, let me tell you how things are supposed to work. The sun grows the food, the ants pick the food, the grasshoppers eat the food--
- Molt: And the birds eat the grasshoppers. Hey, like the one that nearly ate you, you 'member? Oh, you shoulda seen it. This blue jay has him halfway down his throat, and Hopper's kickin' and screamin' And I'm scared. I'm not goin' anywhere near, okay? [Hopper aproaches Molt] Aw, come on. It's a great story. [Hopper grabs his antennae] Ow, ow, ow.
- Hopper: [Hopper pushes him against a wall] I swear, if I hadn't promised Mother on her deathbed... that I wouldn't kill you, I would kill you!
- Molt: And believe me, no one appreciates that more than I do.
- Hopper: Shut up! I don't want to hear another word out of you while we're on this island. Do you understand me? [Molt whimpers] I said, do you understand me?
- Molt: Well, how could I answer? You said I couldn't say another word. [Hopper enraged is about to punch him] Remember Ma!
- Hopper: [Hopper turns and punches another grasshopper but calms down becoming reasonable] Hey, I'm a compassionate insect. There's still a few months till the rains come, so you can all just try again.
- Queen: But, Hopper, since it's almost the rainy season, we need this time to gather food for ourselves.
- Hopper: Listen, if you don't keep your end of the bargain, then I can't guarantee your safety. And there are insects out there that will take advantage of you. Someone could get hurt. [snaps and calls out Thumper who scares Dot so she runs away but is caught by Hopper] What's the matter? You scared of grasshoppers?
- Flik: Dot!
- Hopper: [Hopper picks her up and brings her closer to Thumper] You don't like Thumper? [he brings her up face to face with Thumper and he snarls and growls]
- Flik: [at this Flik comes out] Leave her alone! [this outburst shocks Hopper]
- Hopper: You want her? [holds her above Flik] Go ahead-- take her. [Flik stands down in fear] No? Then get back in line. [Flik goes back in line] It seems to me that you ants are forgetting your place. So let's double the order of food. [this overwhelmes the ants]
- Atta: No! But-But--
- Hopper: We'll be back at the end of the season, when the last leaf falls. [pulls a skin flake off Molt anf lets it slowly drop like a leaf] You ants have a nice summer. Let's ride! [Hopper and the rest of the grasshopper gang fly away and the entire colony glares at Flik, who chuckles nervously]
- [After Molt tells Hopper of his idea to not go back to Ant Island and forget about the ants, he goes down to address the rest of the grasshopper gang. When he lands by them the music and all of the grasshoppers go silent]
- Hopper: Guys, order another round... because we're stayin' here!
- [The rest of the grasshoppers applaud and cheer joy]
- Hopper: What was I thinking? Going back to Ant Island. I mean, we just got here, and we have more than enough food to get us through the winter. Right? Why go back?
- [the music goes back on and the rest of the gang begins to party again]
- Hopper: But there was that ant that stood up to me.
- Axel: Yeah, but we can forget about him!
- Loco: Yeah, it was just one ant.
[the rest of the gang says goes on mocking the ants about their puny size compared to them]
- Hopper: Yeah, you're right! It's just one ant!
- Loco: Yeah, boss. They're puny!
- Hopper: Hmmm, puny. Say, let's pretend this grain is a puny little ant.[he throws it at Loco] Didn't that hurt?
- Loco: Nope.
- Hopper: Well, how 'bout this one? [he throws it at Axel]
- Axel: Are you kiddin'?
- [The rest of the grasshoppers laugh]
- Hopper: [he becomes serious] Well, how 'bout this?
[he pulls the lid of the jar of grain and it collapses on top of them like an avalanche which and buries them with grain and kills them. This shocks the rest of the gang and they grow silent]
- Hopper: You let one ant stand up to us, then they all might stand up. Those puny little ants outnumber us a hundred to one. And if they ever figure that out, there goes our way of life! It's not about food. It's about keeping those ants in line. That's why we're going back! Does anybody else wanna stay?
- [They all remain silent with fearful looks on there faces. They ready their wings]
- Molt: He's quite the motivational speaker, isn't he?
- Hopper: Let's ride!
- [All the grasshoppers fly off to return to Ant Island]
- Slim: Ladies and gentle bugs! Larvae of all stages! Rub your legs together for the world's greatest bug circus!
- [The circus wagon arrives with the circus music playing]
- Hopper: WAIT A MINUTE! [music screeches to a halt]
- Heimlich: (Nervously) I think I'm going to wet myself!
- Francis: (Out of the corner of his mouth) Steady...
- Hopper: What's going on here?
- Atta: Well, uh...
- Slim: Uh, yes. We were invited by Princess Atta as a surprise for your arrival.
- Hopper: Squish 'em.
- [Slim and Francis gasp; the grasshoppers advance on the circus bugs. Dim backs into the cannon launching Tuck & Roll out of it. They dance in front of the grasshoppers, singing their usual gibberish; then get into a fight)
- Hopper: Now, that's funny!
- [grasshoppers sit back in their seats laughing hysterically]
- Hopper: I guess we could use a little entertainment. Looks like you did something right for once, Princess.
- Hopper: Where do you get the gall to do this to me?
- Flik: You were...you were gonna squish the queen.
[All the ants gasp]
- Dot: It's true.
- Hopper: I hate it when someone gives away the ending. (to Flik) You piece of dirt! No, I am wrong! You lower than dirt. You're an ant! (turn to the other ants) Let this be a lesson to all you ants. Ideas are very dangerous things. You are mindless, soil shopping losers. Put on this Earth to serve us.
- Flik: You're wrong, Hopper. Ants are not meant to serve grasshoppers. I've seen these ants do great things, and year after year, they somehow manage to pick enough food for themselves and you. So-so who's the weaker species? Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's you who need us! We're a lot stronger than you say we are. And you know it, don't you?
[Hopper hits Flik and ready to squish him. Princess Atta stops him]
- Hopper: Well, Princess?
- Molt: Oh, Hopper! I hate to interrupt, but...
[All the ants look angrily to Hopper]
- Hopper: You ants stay back!
- Molt: All this was such a bad idea.
- Atta: You see Hopper, nature has a certain order. The ants pick the food, the ants keep the food, and the grasshoppers... leave.
- An epic of miniature proportions.
About A Bug's Life
- You know the insect that did not make it now that I think about it was a bee. I mean there is a bee in the background but not as a main character. When we thought about it, it seemed kind of gratuitous to shoot more of it in so we left it out. But I think all of our other favorite bugs made it in.
- Joe Ranft 
- Dave Foley - Flik (voice)
- Kevin Spacey - Hopper (voice)
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Princess Atta (voice)
- Hayden Panettiere - Dot (voice)
- Phyllis Diller - The Queen (voice)
- Richard Kind - Molt (voice)
- Joe Ranft - Heimlich (voice)
- Denis Leary - Francis (voice)
- David Hyde Pierce - Slim (voice)
- Jonathan Harris - Manny (voice)
- Madeline Kahn - Gypsy (voice)
- Bonnie Hunt - Rosie (voice)
- Brad Garrett - Dim (voice)
- Mike McShane - Tuck & Roll (voice)
- John Ratzenberger - P.T. Flea (voice)
- Roddy McDowall - Mr. Soil (voice)
- Edie McClurg - Dr. Flora (voice)
- Alex Rocco - Thorny (voice)
- David Ossman - Cornelius (voice)