Mater and the Ghostlight
Mater and the Ghostlight is a 2006 Pixar computer-animated short created for the DVD of Cars, which was released on October 25, 2006 in Australia and in the United States on November 7, 2006. The short, set in the Cars world, tells a story of Mater being haunted by a mysterious blue light.
- Lightning McQueen: Gosh it sure is a nice night.
- Sally Carerra: It sure is a nice night.
- Lightning McQueen: I sure hope Mater isn't waiting around anywhere to scare me, because I'll freak out.
- [Mater jumps down and scares McQueen]
- Lightning McQueen: AHHHH!
- Tow Mater: THE GHOSTLIGHT!
- Tow Mater: [laughing] Oh, buddy! You look like you've seen... the Ghostlight!
- Sheriff: Mater! Don't mock the Ghostlight!
- Lightning McQueen: What is the Ghostlight?
- [silence for 10 seconds]
- Sheriff: The Ghostlight is a glowing orb of blue translucent light that haunts these very parts.
- Tow Mater: Nah, don't be too scared, buddy, it ain't real.
- Sheriff: It is real! It all started on a light like tonight. The song dogs were wailin' at the moon of Cadillac Range while the summer wind blew hot like the breath of Zozobra. A young couple was heading down this very stretch of the mother road when they spotted an unnatural blue glow, and all that was left were two out-of-state license plates. So remember: The one thing that angers the Ghostlight more than anything else is the sound of clanking metal.
- [Mater's metal body clanks and tries to keep it from shaking]
- Sheriff: As you head home tonight, keep an eye out. The Ghostlight could be anywhere. Well, good night!
- Sally Carerra: Whew, I'm bushed. Good night!
- All cars: Good night.
- [all drive off to their homes and turn the lights off]
- Tow Mater: Uh, good night.
- [The street and neon lights shut off]
- Tow Mater: The Ghostlight's gonna strip my parts, and sell them on the computer auction website.
- Tow Mater: [to the screaming Banshee] You better run. They say there's a Banshee out here somewhere tonight, but I ain't seen 'im yet. G'night.
- Sheriff: You see, son, the only thing to be scared of out here is your imagination.
- Doc Hudson: Yep. That, and of course, the Screaming Banshee. Well, good night!
- All cars: Good night!
- [all drive off, except Mater, then all lights shut off]
- Tow Mater: The screaming what? [shakes]
- Ramone: [while Mater is running from the "Ghostlight", part of the prank, leaves] Lemme know how it turns out!
- Larry the Cable Guy — Mater (voice)
- Owen Wilson — Lightning McQueen (voice)
- Paul Newman — Doc Hudson (voice)
- Bonnie Hunt — Sally Carrera (voice)
- Cheech Marin — Ramone (voice)
- Michael Wallis — Sheriff (voice)