Mater and the Ghostlight
Mater and the Ghostlight is a 2006 Pixar computer-animated short created for the DVD of Cars, which was released on October 25, 2006 in Australia and in the United States on November 7, 2006. The short, set in the Cars world, tells a story of Mater being haunted by a mysterious blue light.
- Lightning McQueen: Gosh it sure is a nice night.
- Sally Carrera: It sure is a nice night.
- Lightning McQueen: I sure hope Mater isn't waiting around anywhere to scare me, because I'll freak out. [Mater jumps down and scares McQueen] AHHHH! [knocks down the cans]
- Doc Hudson: [laughing] If only you moved that fast on the race track.
- Tow Mater: [laughing] Oh, buddy! You look like you've just seen... the Ghostlight!
- Sheriff: Mater! Don't mock the Ghostlight!
- Lightning McQueen: What is the Ghostlight?
- [The sound of a record needle scratching is heard. Silence for 10 seconds]
- Sheriff: The Ghostlight is a glowing orb of blue translucent light that haunts these very parts.
- Tow Mater: Nah, don't be too scared, buddy, it ain't real.
- Sheriff: It is real! It all started on a night like tonight. The song dogs were wailin' at the moon of Cadillac Range while the summer wind blew hot like the breath of Zozobra. A young couple was heading down this very stretch of the mother road when they spotted an unnatural blue glow, and all that was left were 2 out-of-state license plates. So remember, the one thing that angers the Ghostlight more than anything else is the sound of clanking metal. [Mater's metal body clanks and tries to keeps it from shaking] As you head home tonight, keep an eye out. The Ghostlight could be anywhere. Well, good night! [zooms away]
- Sally Carrera: Whew, I'm bushed. Good night!
- All cars: Good night.
- [All drive off to their homes and turn lights off]
- Tow Mater: Uh, good night.
- [Street and neon lights shut off]
- Tow Mater: [Realizing the "Ghost Light" is a lamp] Hey! Wait a minute...
- All cars: [Laughing]
- Lightning McQueen: Gotcha!
- Tow Mater: Shoot, I knowed this was a joke the whole time.
- Sheriff: You see, son, the only thing to be scared of out here is your imagination.
- Doc Hudson: Yup. That and, of course, the Screamin' Banshee. Well, good night!
- All cars: Good night!
- Tow Mater: The Screamin' what? [starts shaking again]
- Tow Mater: [to the growling Banshee who's right behind him] You better run. They say there's a Banshee out here somewhere tonight, but I ain't see him yet. Good night.
- Banshee: Huh?
- Larry the Cable Guy - Mater
- Owen Wilson - Lightning McQueen
- Paul Newman - Doc Hudson
- Bonnie Hunt - Sally Carrera
- Cheech Marin - Ramone
- Michael Wallis - Sheriff
- Paul Dooley - Sarge